shape
carat
color
clarity

Side stones for this fancy yellow cushion

Rrolack

Rough_Rock
Hi folks,

I have a fancy yellow cushion cut diamond, for which I am having a three-stone ring setting made. I'm now deciding on side stones, and I've love to hear thoughts on the choices I've seen.

Originally, my thought was to go with half moons, which seems like the most popular side stone for a cushion. However, in seeing these at the jeweler today, I wasn't as keen on the half-moons as I'd expected. Perhaps because the center stone is very wide (it's nearly a perfect square), the half-moons stick out enough to make for a chunky look. See below for a picture, where I feel the side stones look a little domineering and "out of place," for lack of a better word.

Another option we looked at was a trillion cut, which originally I didn't think I'd take to. Though seeing this in person, I thought the trillions looked like a more natural fit for the center than the half-moons. Here is a picture, where these trillions are actually fancy yellows (though white trillions would also be an option, of course).

I'd love to hear what folks here think about these few questions:

- Any preference for the half moons vs. the trillions?
- Could it be that a slimmer pair of half moons would work better with this center stone?
- If you like the trillions, any thoughts on going with fancy yellows vs. a colorless pair? I realize that fancy yellow side stones aren't a common look. Would yellow sides steal too much attention from the center stone?
- Any other shapes that might work well?

Thanks so much in advance!

half_moons.jpg

_37563.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Both sets of the sidestones are underwhelming. Those halfmoons are terribly cut. And IMO, you should go for step cut half moons or trapazoids, not brilliant cut. So I just don't think it's the white sidestone versus yellow stones I think your vendor picked ugly poorly cut sides.

I don't like those trillions either the one on the right is ugly.

I think you need better quality sidestones. Who is your vendor? I'm not impressed.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very pretty yellow diamond. What about tapered baguettes and smaller size than the ones you have in the photos?

Sagefemme

Shiny_Rock
Just in terms of SHAPE (not the actual trillions, which I don't know anything about) the trillions are more complementary to the square center. The overall shape of square plus triangles is better than square plus half moons.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Good point.

I think the proportions are off too. They are just too big for the center stone.

I think step cut traps that are WELL CUT will be a much better choice than either of those. The SECOND picture of a completed ring shows the proportions I recommend.

0019061_trapezoids-step-cut.jpeg

_37564.jpg

cushion-cut-3-stone-fancy-light-yellow-diamond-engagement-ring-3_01ct-r1067.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
These are step cut half moons or cadillacs. Also a better choice. I like the smaller sidestones to larger center proportions of the second ring above. And I think the contrast of the step cut sidestones to the small sharp pin fire facets of the center will be very nice.

xxx_145_1396103510_1-01.jpg

5530619ae665277a8a3b15b9a89cf894.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you do go for brilliant sides, they HAVE to be well cut, and smaller than those HUGE poorly cut half moons above.

Here are some examples that show good proportions.

f2eaae9212f7a03274a484e077348012.jpg

701.jpg

12446154_187052998327043_495158400_n.jpg

wildcat03

Brilliant_Rock
Before I even saw gypsy's post, I thought traps were a good idea. Now I'm convinced. Diamonds by Lauren has some great examples (and can source both the fancy yellow if you don't have it and the traps).

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't like the half moons or trillions with this stone. I do like the traps a lot if it is a plain three stone ring. I think it would help you to look at a lot of finished rings to get ideas. Here is the one owned by grateful4life which actually has side pears! I think it works well because of the particular setting. But with no halos, I'd go with traps.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-new-yellow-diamond-engagement-ring.214108/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-new-yellow-diamond-engagement-ring.214108/[/URL]

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like cushions with half moons like this one

_37566.jpg

_37567.jpg

picsart_06-15-01.jpg

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi Rrolack,
I would not say the side stones you looked at are the right choice- but neither would I say they're badly cut based on the pictures you posted. Half moons, by virtue of the unique shape have different attributes than other shapes. Photographing them in a box is never going to give you an accurate idea of the light performance.
Half moons may be a perfect choice- but there's a lot of variation from on pair to the next- some are wider, others more sliver-like.
It's helpful to have a variety of outlines to compare.

Another important thing I've found is that tastes really vary- so one person calls that absolutely HATES half moons, the next person hates traps....
For this reason asking what others would prefer may prove confusing, as people tend to hold strong opinions.
Pretty much any of the shapes can look good if they have the right proportions and color to contrast the yellow- and of course the quality of the ring makes a huge difference as well.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I say traps, but I do like the half moons niel posted.

Rrolack

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone for the ideas! I agree that the traps look great; I'll likely go in this direction.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
There are two types of traps. Step cut and brilliant cut. You want the step cut ones.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
HI Rrolack,
Traps can be amazing!
AS I mentioned there's definitely strong opinions on both sides- which you may or may not share.
I will say that brilliant cut traps are more popular than step cuts next to a FCD cushion based on my experience speaking to thousands of consumers.
Step cut can also be lovely- but I would suggest looking at both to see which you prefer.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the trillions but I think colorless would make the yellow in your center stone pop a little more and seem more special.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results