shape
carat
color
clarity

Show your Star sapphires and rubies

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome! It’s wonderful that you are inspired! I’d be delighted to offer my humble advise, and I hope it will be helpful. I believe stars are a soul stone, meaning that if you feel thier magic, when you find the right one, you will feel it. There are so many variations, and each has its own, unique beauty.
With stars in general, it’s a balance between color saturation and the strength of the star. The more color, often, the less silk ( silk makes the star) and this the weaker the star. More silk means a stronger star, but less saturated color. With this comes less translucence. Other factors include flaws, totality of the star, polish and size. It’s a matter of BALANCE of all of these factors. So there are many parts which come into play with choosing a star sapphire. Any star above 5 carats becomes exponentially more rare than those below 5 carats, according to what I’ve seen and read. Also be aware that stars are treated in modern times, but that seller has a decent rep as far as I know. ( I have never purchased from him but know a few who have.)
It might be helpful if you describe what you are aiming for, ideally for a star ring. You might be willing to compromise some qualities, but not others. This is a highly personal choice, and stars are not ‘main stream’ due to thier rarity, so it might take time to find the right one. And I personally believe one should take all the time needed to find one which makes one happy and fulfilled.
The one you selected is indeed grayish, which is not trade ideal, but beautiful and equally dreamy in its own right . The star is very strong and it looks like a great ring size stone. Translucence and color is diminished due to the heavy silk. But the symmetry is good in cabochon and star. and it has few flaws that visible to me. it’s all about what moves you for the right price. Pricing also depends on where you are in the geography of the world.

Last edited:

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
7BEEA413-15BB-4710-8BA4-AE15B993F2D9.jpeg 509EF6DC-9111-4A28-98E7-71382FA1749A.jpeg
Now is a good time to post this specimen one which I came across today just for fun. 40k, light color, more opaque, but very great and strong star. 140 carats ( or something like that) from Ceylon.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, adding the 4.38 carat star sapphire that I just got. Very happy as I’ve wanted one for years.

54DB5C28-CA77-4A2C-AAD7-F8CF2C387995.jpeg 31687406-A0B4-4020-BA5D-CCDE13C383D3.jpeg

White vs warm lighting
2D722D91-F078-4331-B0D4-77802B19F5DC.jpeg
Congratulations on your new star ring, It’s lovely!

I can understand having wanted one for years. They are the most fun and satisfying gems because of how they shift and change in different lights.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations on your new star ring, It’s lovely!

I can understand having wanted one for years. They are the most fun and satisfying gems because of how they shift and change in different lights.

Thank you! Stars are gorgeous! I may shift my goal from a nice sapphire sugarloaf to a dreamy star sapphire instead... :kiss2:

Yours are stunning. Really dreamy.

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thank you! Stars are gorgeous! I may shift my goal from a nice sapphire sugarloaf to a dreamy star sapphire instead... :kiss2:

I suspect your star is burmese.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thank you! They are so addictive. I think a beautiful star in a nice, high dome might be more fun than a sugerloaf because you get all of the changes in the light, and in the shade, you still get the sugarloaf feel.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
I suspect your star is burmese.

I was thinking Sri Lankan due to the slight color change and the color fits based on what I read? Mine is bluish violet in day and purple under orange light. What do you think?

20B0EF2B-F857-41F8-8787-9FAC5FFACB94.jpeg

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think star sapphires are a lot like jadeite in that they are so individual, because so many factors come into play to create thier look. In this way, choosing is a bit more complex than wth many other gems. And the variations all have a special beauty about them.

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I was thinking Sri Lankan due to the slight color change and the color fits based on what I read? Mine is bluish violet in day and purple under orange light. What do you think?

20B0EF2B-F857-41F8-8787-9FAC5FFACB94.jpeg

My 3+ct unset star sapphire from Mogok displays same colour shift features. Star also similar. A tad more opaque than yours.

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think star sapphires are a lot like jadeite in that they are so individual, because so many factors come into play to create thier look. In this way, choosing is a bit more complex than wth many other gems. And the variations all have a special beauty about them.

I love these variations. I feel that each CS should be assessed on their own merit. Because no 2 are identical :)

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love these variations. I feel that each CS should be assessed on their own merit. Because no 2 are identical :)
Me too! I’ve never seen a truly ‘ugly’ star sapphire. Some would be better as desk stones rather than set in jewelry, but still beautiful.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My 3+ct unset star sapphire from Mogok displays same colour shift features. Star also similar. A tad more opaque than yours.
Both of mine shift a lot between more blue, and more lavender blue. No idea of origin, but I suspect my large one is from Sri Lanka. No particular reason why.

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Me too! I’ve never seen a truly ‘ugly’ star sapphire. Some would be better as desk stones rather than set in jewelry, but still beautiful.

I love the mercurial nature of them:)

I saw several Zawadi sheen sapphires today. Not top grade and many of that blacks and golds are mixed with some blue. Checkboard cut mostly.

But they are all so unique. I would like to buy a better one for my dad.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the mercurial nature of them:)

I saw several Zawadi sheen sapphires today. Not top grade and many of that blacks and golds are mixed with some blue. Checkboard cut mostly.

But they are all so unique. I would like to buy a better one for my dad.
Wow, sounds really interesting in checkerboard cuts especially. Would love to see if you happened to have snapped pictures.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock

Still pretty wherever they are from.

How do we know if they are heated? Any characteristics we can check for? It doesn’t really matter to me but I’m curious. The vendor did say is not heated but it’s not certified.

Also do you think I should send to local lab?

@Bluegemz for help also.

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Wow, sounds really interesting in checkerboard cuts especially. Would love to see if you happened to have snapped pictures.

Oops i didn't. I was with a male friend and told him i think they'd be cool as male jewellery :)

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Still pretty wherever they are from.

How do we know if they are heated? Any characteristics we can check for? It doesn’t really matter to me but I’m curious. The vendor did say is not heated but it’s not certified.

Also do you think I should send to local lab?

@Bluegemz for help also.

It'd be more translucent and your star will be very sharp with well defined legs if heated. Coz the silk rutiles will mostly dissipate. Hence more translucent.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
It'd be more translucent and your star will be very sharp with well defined legs if heated. Coz the silk rutiles will mostly dissipate. Hence more translucent.

Silk rutiles are the lines right? So if the lines are visible it’s likely unheated?

I can see lines on mine. Doesn’t bother me but they are visible up close.

Sorry for the noob questions. :P2

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also, if there are any tiny crystal inclusions intact, that’s a sign of unheated, since often when heated, these can microscopically explode or melt inside, creating tell tale evidence. Though you need a microscope for this.
Regarding star strength, if the stone is exceptionally clear, it will have a slighter, or more delicate star due to less silk, so that’s not always a sign of heating.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Silk rutiles are the lines right? So if the lines are visible it’s likely unheated?

Yes, those are the silk strands. In clear stars with less silk, the individual threads show upon close inspection because they aren’t as thickly packed together.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A965F99C-04B2-4730-8E0B-B2F73B3ED5F3.jpeg C39C8ACE-C782-4FCE-A5FF-63AD8AB1AA16.jpeg
Take these as an example...the earrings are very clear and have less silk, hence the more subtle stars. And the huge one has a lot of silk, obscuring translucence and tinting the color, and has a very strong star.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also, stars sometimes have colored asterism, such as a pink star instead of a white one in a star ruby, or a blue star instead of white in a blue star. I suspect that this is because the asterism is deeper in the body of the gem but I’m not sure why.

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade

The lines give the asterism so it's acceptable :)

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Agnes Moorehead had one heck of a clue star sapphire. I am about 95% sure it was her wedding ring from her fist marriage. It ended in the mid 1950's.
600full-agnes-moorehead.jpg
am.jpg
635981c9e38f1db6eab92e62b032ace4.jpg
AM2.jpg

I am watching a movie called The Bat with Agnes Moorehead and Vincent Price, from 1959.
She is wearing the huge star sapphire!
The movie is black and white, but the ring is wonderful!

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I am watching a movie called The Bat with Agnes Moorehead and Vincent Price, from 1959.
She is wearing the huge star sapphire!
The movie is black and white, but the ring is wonderful!
Ooh, I have to see it!

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Both of mine shift a lot between more blue, and more lavender blue. No idea of origin, but I suspect my large one is from Sri Lanka. No particular reason why.

My jewellers think your large one is probably from Ceylon too :)
No scientific reason why...beyond they don't really see comparable colour from the mines that are producing during their industry lifetime.

But considering many mines are mined out, if it's really old, then they wouldn't have seen one within their lifetime too.

Just like cflutist's mum jadeite pendant. They can tell from the pics that it's really old. Utility jade. But I've never seen utility jade this green during my stint here :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results