shape
carat
color
clarity

Show your Star sapphires and rubies

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
This thread was so educational and inspirational to me and really helped light the spark in me for star gems.

I bought my first last month and so I want to add it here for posterity.

My pretty while she was still loose. 4.08ct natural purplish pink star sapphire (per AGL) from Sri Lanka (per Gary Braun).

E7705ADD-18AB-447A-BB68-92592AAC20AA.jpeg

Her star is very bold and even shows up in regular incandescent lighting, and she has an interesting cloud of inclusions seen on the lower right in this photo, but she still has a lovely depth and the color is very pleasing.
2414F89D-2AF6-4D9B-853C-C88A435A31FA.jpeg

A916A15F-6C5B-4E18-B91B-E9DF0A81198C.jpeg

She’s off getting set now and I can’t wait to enjoy wearing her in the summer sun. She puts on quite a light show!

TeaGlutton

Rough_Rock
Please forgive the phone pictures, I'm not good at this at all. The color is washed out but the last photo is closer. New star ruby ring with a shy star, perfectly imperfect. Sits next to my spinel cab ring from Yvonne. Also threw in my blue star sapphire ring (instead of wedding ring) and engagement ring, also both from Yvonne.

IMG_20230521_172541365.jpg
IMG_20230526_164106146.jpg
IMG_20230526_164905469.jpg

IMG_20230525_122941721_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230526_164603804.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20230526_164603804.jpg
    IMG_20230526_164603804.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 6

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just received this little black star sapphire. It's only 6mm but is a cute little thing. The star is nice and in the right light it is displaying a double star.

Black Star Sapphire 2.jpg

Black Star Sapphire4.jpg

Black Star Sapphire5.jpg

GardenLady21

Shiny_Rock
I purchased this beautiful star ruby from Etsy's Mitaineshop in Oxford, UK. It really is a gorgeous star ruby. My husband and I are looking for a star ruby to mark our anniversary but we were hoping for a star ruby that is a bit redder. Since I am far from an expert - I am wondering what you all think about her. I'd hate to return it only to hear how amazing the stone is (that is totally my luck!) Thank you! **Vendor pics and two of my own**

Screenshot 2023-06-28 9.21.10 PM.png

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-06-28 9.20.45 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-06-28 9.20.45 PM.png
    301.5 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0842.jpg
    IMG_0842.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0843.jpg
    IMG_0843.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 21

voce

Ideal_Rock
I did a bespoke project with Inken (Enhoerning Jewelry). There's this ring and a necklace.

Attachments

• PXL_20230629_014250898.jpg
    PXL_20230629_014250898.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 37

Starstruck8

Brilliant_Rock
I purchased this beautiful star ruby from Etsy's Mitaineshop in Oxford, UK. It really is a gorgeous star ruby. My husband and I are looking for a star ruby to mark our anniversary but we were hoping for a star ruby that is a bit redder. Since I am far from an expert - I am wondering what you all think about her. I'd hate to return it only to hear how amazing the stone is (that is totally my luck!) Thank you! **Vendor pics and two of my own**

This is a tricky question. I'd say the stone is good but not 'amazing'. It is on the purple side, as many star rubies are. But it's a beautiful strong purple, at least if the last two pics are accurate. By conventional standards, the wonky ray is a fault, but some might say that it gives character.

There are star rubies that are redder and don't have wonky rays. But they won't be easy to find, and they won't be inexpensive. Star rubies are always a compromise - you will have to decide for yourself what you value most.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I did a bespoke project with Inken (Enhoerning Jewelry). There's this ring and a necklace.

That's a gorgeous ring voce! Is the pendant a star too?

ilovegemstones

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I think it is gorgeous!!!!

GardenLady21

Shiny_Rock
This is a tricky question. I'd say the stone is good but not 'amazing'. It is on the purple side, as many star rubies are. But it's a beautiful strong purple, at least if the last two pics are accurate. By conventional standards, the wonky ray is a fault, but some might say that it gives character.

There are star rubies that are redder and don't have wonky rays. But they won't be easy to find, and they won't be inexpensive. Star rubies are always a compromise - you will have to decide for yourself what you value most.

Thank you for the insight. I am mulling it over. Both great points.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Adding my latest star sapphire, an Edwardian stickpin conversion. The pin had already been snipped off when I got it; my jeweler found an empty antique ring setting that fit it pretty well to add to the back. It's maybe 5 or 5 1/2 carats, nicely transparent blue-gray, with some zoning (a transparent stripe). The star is sharper in person--it's hard to get a good photo.

IMG_9864.jpeg IMG_9868.jpeg
IMG_9842.jpeg
IMG_9853.jpeg
IMG_9860.jpeg
IMG_9861.jpeg
IMG_9845.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_9855.jpeg
    IMG_9855.jpeg
    229.9 KB · Views: 15

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
OMG @glitterata that is such a successful conversion! I love the way it turned out and the sapphire is lovely. Moody and a little mysterious.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
OMG @glitterata that is such a successful conversion! I love the way it turned out and the sapphire is lovely. Moody and a little mysterious.

Thank you, dreamer! I couldn't believe my luck when I found it--the seller told me it was "a star something, I forget what." I said, "Star sapphire," but she said "No, that's not it--star moonstone, I think," and sold it to me for not much more than the value of the gold. It's one of my very favorite rings.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you, dreamer! I couldn't believe my luck when I found it--the seller told me it was "a star something, I forget what." I said, "Star sapphire," but she said "No, that's not it--star moonstone, I think," and sold it to me for not much more than the value of the gold. It's one of my very favorite rings.

Finding a treasure like that always makes it better!

Mrsz1ppy

Brilliant_Rock

Score!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stunning!!!

glitterata

Ideal_Rock

When I told this story on a social media jewelry page, everybody said, "What makes you think it's a star sapphire and not a star moonstone? It sure looks like a moonstone to me." I couldn't convince them it WAS a sapphire. Which I guess is why the seller still had it when I came along! I'm so glad her other customers weren't PSers. ;-)

Starstruck8

Brilliant_Rock
"What makes you think it's a star sapphire and not a star moonstone? It sure looks like a moonstone to me."

Err..., because it has six rays! I'm truly amazed that anyone would think it was a moonstone. Granted, star moonstone does exist, but the stars have four rays. Besides, it just looks like a star sapphire.

But similar things sometimes happen the other way around. I've had crystal healing folk insist that what was evidently star diopside (with a four-ray, off-perpendicular star) was sapphire. This is not a sapphire... Diopside.jpg

Good spotting! Great conversion! Well done!

Last edited:

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Adding my latest star sapphire, an Edwardian stickpin conversion. The pin had already been snipped off when I got it; my jeweler found an empty antique ring setting that fit it pretty well to add to the back. It's maybe 5 or 5 1/2 carats, nicely transparent blue-gray, with some zoning (a transparent stripe). The star is sharper in person--it's hard to get a good photo.

IMG_9842.jpeg
IMG_9853.jpeg
IMG_9860.jpeg
IMG_9861.jpeg
IMG_9845.jpeg

Oh I love it as a ring, just gorgeous!! The sapphire is so translucent.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Err..., because it has six rays! I'm truly amazed that anyone would think it was a moonstone. Granted, star moonstone does exist, but the stars have four rays. Besides, it just looks like a star sapphire.

But similar things sometimes happen the other way around. I've had crystal healing folk insist that what was evidently star diopside (with a four-ray, off-perpendicular star) was sapphire. This is not a sapphire... Diopside.jpg

Good spotting! Great conversion! Well done!

I see this all the time on eBay.
People think star diopside is a star sapphire......really? Do your homework, ebay sellers!
Egads.
I also get irritated when they say that Linde stars are natural sapphire.

88_star

Shiny_Rock
Trade

IMG_9842.jpeg
IMG_9853.jpeg
IMG_9860.jpeg
IMG_9861.jpeg
IMG_9845.jpeg

perfect art nouveau pairing! Love

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results