Show us your Mahenge Spinels

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/31/2010 1:25:48 AM
Author: Allison D.

Date: 3/30/2010 4:28:23 PM
Author: LovingDiamonds
Alison - do you own a UV pen by any chance? If so, would you mind taking some photos using that in a dimly lit room? I''d be very interested to see the fluor in those lighting conditions.
I had one.......but I left it in my pocket and put it through the wash!!
39.gif
39.gif

I''m due to pick up another one shortly, though - I promise that I''ll come back with pics once I get them done.
I''m glad to hear others are prone to mishaps! I thought it was just me! lol

Can''t wait to see the fluor pics!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/23/2010 9:56:44 AM
Author: brandy_z28
Date: 3/22/2010 11:47:43 PM

Author: tourmaline_lover

My latest, a 1.53 carat elongated cushion and AIGS certified 'pinkish red' in color.

Where did that stone come from TL
30.gif
? Does it have it's own thread yet? I want to see more!
36.gif

Thank you Brandy. It was from odysseygem. I asked Tan a lot of questions about the color before I purchased it to make sure I got the color I wanted.

Here it is with my newest spinel from odysseygem that I won in auction. Here they are glowing with their UV fluor in direct sun. In the sun they get this real eerie looking glow to them. It's fascinating to look at. I didn't start a thread on the 1.51 cushion, but I posted some more pics in the eyecandy thread, and I thought this thread would be sufficient enough. It does deserve it's own thread, but I'm already a thread-hog.
15.gif

1.51 carat cushion
1.1 carat pear

TLmahengesfluor.JPG

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/9/2010 12:24:35 PM

Date: 3/23/2010 9:56:44 AM
Author: brandy_z28

Date: 3/22/2010 11:47:43 PM

My latest, a 1.53 carat elongated cushion and AIGS certified ''pinkish red'' in color.

Where did that stone come from TL
30.gif
? Does it have it''s own thread yet? I want to see more!
36.gif

Thank you Brandy. It was from odysseygem. I asked Tan a lot of questions about the color before I purchased it to make sure I got the color I wanted.

Here it is with my newest spinel from odysseygem that I won in auction. Here they are glowing with their UV fluor in direct sun. In the sun they get this real eerie looking glow to them. It''s fascinating to look at. I didn''t start a thread on the 1.51 cushion, but I posted some more pics in the eyecandy thread, and I thought this thread would be sufficient enough. It does deserve it''s own thread, but I''m already a thread-hog.
15.gif

1.51 carat cushion
1.1 carat pear
Thank you so much for posting another picture TL! I know exactly what you mean with the glow. Thread hog?! What?! It definitely deserves it''s own thread! I wouldn''t be offended in the least if you started a thread about it. You''ve been scooping up some gorgeous stones lately and I want to see more pics, please.
30.gif

portia

Brilliant_Rock
Here are a few photos of my 3.4ct from Swala...

mahenge3.jpg

portia

Brilliant_Rock
Outside on a sunny day...

mahenge2.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Portia,
You''ll have to tell me exactly what each stone in every row is!
18.gif
Your Mahenge just pops in the last picture on your finger.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/9/2010 8:46:23 PM
Author: Chrono
Portia,
You''ll have to tell me exactly what each stone in every row is!
18.gif
Your Mahenge just pops in the last picture on your finger.
Exactly!! Don''t just post a photo of all these wonderful gems, and not tell us what they are!! That''s too cruel! Your Mahenge is beautiful.

portia

Brilliant_Rock
heheh
11.gif

portia

Brilliant_Rock
I''ll start a new thread since this thread is specifically for Mahenge spinels. I have another photo of my collection that I never posted.

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/31/2010 3:33:22 AM

Date: 3/31/2010 1:25:48 AM

Date: 3/30/2010 4:28:23 PM
Alison - do you own a UV pen by any chance? If so, would you mind taking some photos using that in a dimly lit room? I''d be very interested to see the fluor in those lighting conditions.
I had one.......but I left it in my pocket and put it through the wash!!
39.gif
39.gif

I''m due to pick up another one shortly, though - I promise that I''ll come back with pics once I get them done.
I''m glad to hear others are prone to mishaps! I thought it was just me! lol

Can''t wait to see the fluor pics!
LD, I was finally able to get a replacement blacklight - the mac daddy one that most certainly won''t get missed during the laundry! LOL

Here''s the fluor pics I promised to add.....

IMG_5124 - cropped.jpg

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock
Same stone, along with a friend''s pink spinel which also fluoresces

IMG_5126 - cropped.jpg

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock
Speaking of.....that stone fluoresces like CRAZY too!

IMG_5118 cropped.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Amazing fluorescence pictures, Allison!

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
ALLISON!!!! You''ve been holding out on us!! Where are the glamour shots of the mahenge in its mounting?? And that luscious emerald cut????

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Here''s a picture of my stone on the way from AJS. It has inclusions, but the price was very low and it will give me an idea of if I want to shell out the big bucks for one of these babies. I can''t wait to see her with my own eyes!

spinel-mahenge-tanzania-gemstone-spi-00360-l.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Allison,
I am in need of a decent UV pen/stick. Do you mind sharing the brand or link where you purchased yours?

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very nice Uppy! Mine also came from AJS. They''re very good their photos, so yours should be pretty spot on.

-A

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/12/2010 10:36:56 AM
Author: Chrono
Allison,
I am in need of a decent UV pen/stick. Do you mind sharing the brand or link where you purchased yours?

Sure, Chrono....happy to help. This is what I purchased - it takes 3 AAA batteries.

http://www.kassoy.com/9-uv-led-light.html

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you so much Alison - lovely pictures. However I feel the need to ask if you''re feeling ok? Your skin looks a bit blue so perhaps a trip to the Doctor might be in order?
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/12/2010 9:03:00 AM
Author: Upgradable
ALLISON!!!! You''ve been holding out on us!! Where are the glamour shots of the mahenge in its mounting?? And that luscious emerald cut????
LOL! Uppy, I''m not holding out. I know many of you know I''ve had MANY loose stones waiting patiently for me to find homes for them, and I finally dragged my sorry obsessed self down to NYC to work on that this past weekend.

The emerald cut actually belongs to Cellantani; she trekked up to meet me as she was facing the same problem. We were on a mission to find some inexpensive settings for some of our loose colored stones; with three days to swarm the options, we had WAY more success than we should have and our wallets are definitely worse for the wear now.
11.gif
11.gif

That success means I finally get to wear some of the lovely stones many of you have seen in the vendor comparison thread (and a few you haven''t
9.gif
): the spinel, the PGstar 80 cuprian tourmaline, a barion Oyo Tourmaline, an asscher aqua, a rectangular brilliant mint tourmaline, and a pair of spess garnet asschers.

Since you''ve asked about it, I''ll put them in a separate thread to avoid derailing this one.

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/12/2010 3:33:03 PM
Thank you so much Alison - lovely pictures. However I feel the need to ask if you''re feeling ok? Your skin looks a bit blue so perhaps a trip to the Doctor might be in order?
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif
Hmmmm - yes. A blue tone is usually indicative of a lack of oxygen, and I''d say that''s an appropriate description for my physical state after rampant spending to set my stones! LMAO
11.gif
I think I''m still a bit woozy. LOL

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/12/2010 4:14:26 PM

Since you''ve asked about it, I''ll put them in a separate thread to avoid derailing this one.
YAY!!!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
here is ma mahenge crystal arrived today.
8x8x5mm
vendor photo first

48227.jpg

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
me photo tungsten

mahhenge.jpg

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
fluorizing in the sun with some little diamond octahedrons from Siberia that also came to day, about .10 each

mahengeflordia.jpg

y2kitty

Brilliant_Rock
This thread has been reopened if anyone wants to post!

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
I want to know what VL did with all those luscious raw stones??

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Most of photos are not so successful because they were made not for "glamor" shots, with Droid camera.

Here is a small 1.6 ct spinel from Tan and a 2.7 ct spinel from Eric.

twospintaneric.jpg

evenlighttananderic.jpg

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Two small trilliants - I do not remember who I bought it from.

twotrillians.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results