shape
carat
color
clarity

Show us your Mahenge Spinels

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
Wow. I think I may need one of these for my next project!!

virgoruby

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/9/2010 9:52:22 AM
Author:Upgradable
I''ve been drooling over these for the last six to eight months, and the itch is getting undeniable! I though it would be nice to have a compilation of them all in one place.

So please, post pictures of your Tanzanian or Mahenge spinels, set or unset, along with any questions or info people have about the best way to go about choosing a beautifully glowing stone of their own!!

Everyone''s spinels look so beautiful!

I would love to have a Mahenge myself & am in need of experts'' advice...
I want a high quality reddish pink (or pinkish red) Mahenge, around 2-3ct, in either emerald cut, cushion or oval.
What sort of things do I need to look for & what questions should I ask a vendor? (N.B. I don''t have a specific stone in mind at present..)
All I could think of are: whether the stone has medium tone & strong saturation, and without any visible inclusions, extinction or (if poss) window, and whether it fluors.

I love the idea of having an emerald cut Mahenge, but what are pros & cons of an emerald cut, vis-a-vis cushion or oval? Does either cushion or oval cut make a stone appear bigger face-up as well as livelier/ sparklier than emerald cut?

Also, if you are buying a high quality, relatively larger sized spinel from a PS recommended vendor, do you think it''s important to ask for an independent gem appraisal/ certificate or is it unnecessary, given that there is no known treatment for spinels?
Thanks!

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/9/2010 2:30:13 PM
Author: sleepyspinel
Here are two of my favs

spinel388-6.jpg

412compspinel.jpg
http://www.pricescope.com/idealbb/files/spinel388-6.jpg
There''s that battery operated spinel again! Sleepy you don''t post nearly enough!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/24/2010 4:18:39 AM
Author: virgoruby

Date: 3/9/2010 9:52:22 AM
Author:Upgradable
I''ve been drooling over these for the last six to eight months, and the itch is getting undeniable! I though it would be nice to have a compilation of them all in one place.

So please, post pictures of your Tanzanian or Mahenge spinels, set or unset, along with any questions or info people have about the best way to go about choosing a beautifully glowing stone of their own!!

Everyone''s spinels look so beautiful!

I would love to have a Mahenge myself & am in need of experts'' advice...
I want a high quality reddish pink (or pinkish red) Mahenge, around 2-3ct, in either emerald cut, cushion or oval.
What sort of things do I need to look for & what questions should I ask a vendor? (N.B. I don''t have a specific stone in mind at present..)
All I could think of are: whether the stone has medium tone & strong saturation, and without any visible inclusions, extinction or (if poss) window, and whether it fluors.

I love the idea of having an emerald cut Mahenge, but what are pros & cons of an emerald cut, vis-a-vis cushion or oval? Does either cushion or oval cut make a stone appear bigger face-up as well as livelier/ sparklier than emerald cut?

Also, if you are buying a high quality, relatively larger sized spinel from a PS recommended vendor, do you think it''s important to ask for an independent gem appraisal/ certificate or is it unnecessary, given that there is no known treatment for spinels?
Thanks!
Some red spinels are synthetsized to look like natural spinels, therefore, I always ask for a reputable lab memo for the ones I buy. If it''s a PS recommended vendor, that is up to you to decide.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Vigoruby,

Let’s just say that if you have your heart set on an emerald cut, you’ll be waiting a very long time, even if you have a custom cutter doing the project. Part of the reason is the natural shape of the rough (everyone wants to maximize rough), the lesser demand and also it does not take advantage of the dispersion and flashiness of a spinel. So yes, an oval and cushion will appear livelier and sparklier than a step cut stone.

As for what to look, it is basically the same as with all gemstones: medium tone, strong saturation, eye clean, cutting issues and fluorescence is a huge plus.

There is currently no known treatment for red spinels but synthetics abound. Still, since most cutters know their source, I would say it is unlikely to be necessary to get a lab memo. If buying from a PS recommended vendor, again, it is unnecessary although you may want to for a higher priced item anyway.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
What would you expect to see $$/carat for a mahenge certified at stp/R*4/5?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/24/2010 10:30:11 AM
Author: Upgradable
It depends on the size and clarity of the stone.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
eye clean, between 1-2 carats, does $400/carat sound reasonable?

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
All of them are beautiful.

Stepcutnut, who did you get yours from?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/24/2010 10:37:30 AM
Author: Chrono

It depends on the size and clarity of the stone.
After two carats, the price goes up, and increases a lot for larger sizes.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Above two carats, maybe $1K to $2K/ct because you''re looking at a strong color saturation and a medium tone, eye clean. Below two carats, perhaps $800/ct. I''m ballparking, since pricing on colored gems, like most things, is so subjective, and prices are rising all the time.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, TL!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/24/2010 12:14:13 PM
Thanks, TL!
Now that's pricing I've seen from dealers like Eric, and others that give reasonably fair pricing. Retail, who knows? The sky's the limit. I saw Gem Shopping Network selling them for anywhere from $2K/ct (small and not as vivid) to $10K/ct for larger and more vivid stones. Yes, I watch GSN for fun
emembarrassed.gif
I don't buy from them though, overpriced and seedy IMO, but they have some nice eyecandy.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
I don''t watch, because all I end up doing is yelling at the TV!
38.gif

virgoruby

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/24/2010 10:14:11 AM
Vigoruby,

Let’s just say that if you have your heart set on an emerald cut, you’ll be waiting a very long time, even if you have a custom cutter doing the project. Part of the reason is the natural shape of the rough (everyone wants to maximize rough), the lesser demand and also it does not take advantage of the dispersion and flashiness of a spinel. So yes, an oval and cushion will appear livelier and sparklier than a step cut stone.

As for what to look, it is basically the same as with all gemstones: medium tone, strong saturation, eye clean, cutting issues and fluorescence is a huge plus.

There is currently no known treatment for red spinels but synthetics abound. Still, since most cutters know their source, I would say it is unlikely to be necessary to get a lab memo. If buying from a PS recommended vendor, again, it is unnecessary although you may want to for a higher priced item anyway.

TL & Chrono, thanks so so so much for your fantastic advice!

Chrono - I''m in love with the emerald cut spinel ring on Leon Mege''s website... I would love to have a similar style ring using a pink/red Mahenge one day....
Just out of curiosity, did you get a lab memo for your Mahenge pear?

TL - sorry, slight threadjack here, but I have a vague recollection of you being a fan of Brian Cox? (sorry if I''m totally wrong...)
If so, did you know that he''s currently presenting a TV programme called ''Wonders of the Solar System''? you can watch it online on the BBC website (www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer).

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Vigoruby,
No, I did not get my Swala Mahenge sent to a lab because I know the source of the stone. Of course, with it being set now, I am reluctant to unset it just to mail it off for a memo.

virgoruby

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/24/2010 1:48:18 PM
Vigoruby,

No, I did not get my Swala Mahenge sent to a lab because I know the source of the stone. Of course, with it being set now, I am reluctant to unset it just to mail it off for a memo.

Thanks Chrono! I''m sure I''ve said it before, but your Mahenge pear is just breathtakingly beautiful...
30.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/24/2010 12:33:33 PM
Author: virgoruby

Date: 3/24/2010 10:14:11 AM

Vigoruby,

TL & Chrono, thanks so so so much for your fantastic advice!

Chrono - I''m in love with the emerald cut spinel ring on Leon Mege''s website... I would love to have a similar style ring using a pink/red Mahenge one day....
Just out of curiosity, did you get a lab memo for your Mahenge pear?

TL - sorry, slight threadjack here, but I have a vague recollection of you being a fan of Brian Cox? (sorry if I''m totally wrong...)
If so, did you know that he''s currently presenting a TV programme called ''Wonders of the Solar System''? you can watch it online on the BBC website (www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer).
Ooooh, thanks Vigor!!
36.gif
2.gif
I love that man!! Threadjack over.

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
WOW!!! I love everyone''s mahenges, so beautiful!
30.gif
30.gif

I especially love the ones that remind me of a cherry gumdrop. Pink/red spinels are definitely next on my list!

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

mahenge collage 1.64.jpg

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Allison,
30.gif
is right!! Tell us about this stunner!!!
23.gif

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
I don''t know how I missed this stunner, but thank you LovingDiamonds for sharing your amazing stone with me! The color and the glow of this beauty is what makes my eyes bug out of my head!
Spinel%20Mahenge%201.35ct%20with%20platinum_1_1.JPG

Spinel%20Mahenge%201.35ct%20incandescent2_1_1.JPG

And look at this fluorescence!!!!
30.gif

Spinel%20Mahenge%201.35ct%20Fluor1_1_1.JPG

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock
Uppy, it''s a 1.64 mahenge cut by Gene at Precision. It was (I think) the second or third stone from the parcel he picked up on his trip last year.

It''s incredibly saturated and literally glows in low lighting. Reminds me of ET.
1.gif

It has red fluorescence, which is quite awesome, too.

The inclusions look much more prominent in the photo than in real life.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Alison, its a gorgeous stone! is it in your avatar, and is your avatar a mahenge cherry pie?!
I love pie

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock
You can see the red fluorescence in these shots taken in direct sunlight.

FLUOR collage mahenge.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooops, wrong post.

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock
Yikes - sorry about the size.
41.gif

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock
HA - no, the stone isn''t one of the ones in the pie. The pie in my avatar was done for a movie promo giveaway. I like it because in my consumer days, I created the ''lemon pie'' legacy on Pricescope. Since then, I''m synonymous with pie, so when I saw that piece, I laughed my butt off and had to use it.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Alison - do you own a UV pen by any chance? If so, would you mind taking some photos using that in a dimly lit room? I''d be very interested to see the fluor in those lighting conditions.

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/30/2010 4:28:23 PM
Author: LovingDiamonds
Alison - do you own a UV pen by any chance? If so, would you mind taking some photos using that in a dimly lit room? I''d be very interested to see the fluor in those lighting conditions.
I had one.......but I left it in my pocket and put it through the wash!!
39.gif
39.gif

I''m due to pick up another one shortly, though - I promise that I''ll come back with pics once I get them done.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results