shape
carat
color
clarity

Show me your Van Cleef and Arpels jewelry!

Paisley2628

Brilliant_Rock
So excited for you @Paisley2628 Yes, I would wear what you have or at least take it so you can see what mixes and matches. I have also taken other non VCA pieces to see if they wear well together.

Thank you! I am looking forward to it - a little bit intimidated- although I'm probably too old to be feeling that way!

I'm also more of a small town person , so going into a city also is not in my comfort zone.

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
Thank you! I am looking forward to it - a little bit intimidated- although I'm probably too old to be feeling that way!

I'm also more of a small town person , so going into a city also is not in my comfort zone.

You are going to have so much fun! They will treat you like a queen.

sunnyside74

Shiny_Rock
@diamondseeker2006 thank you for that tip! ordered!

@Paisley2628 enjoy your trip! I was always nervous about going in - but my SA in the city is the nicest most patient guy in the world. And they always make me feel at home. Agree with wearing/brining in any pieces you have that you might want to see how they fit.

@RunningwithScissors I so love the blue agate on you - I love the color with your coloring. and even though the motifs are small I love the wg sweet with diamonds -- even the sweet earrings with diamonds sparkle way more than they should for the size ;-)

mommylawyer

Brilliant_Rock
Second was the 10 motif Vintage Alhambra in blue agate. Oh my! The color was divine against my skin tone! The photo does not do justice. In real life, it glowed!

3 IMG_8893.jpg

I don't think you could go wrong--they're all beautiful! IMHO, this one looks particularly lovely on you.

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@RunningwithScissors They’re all stunning on you but agree with others that I’d probably go for the 20 motif MOP first of the options you posted. Followed very closely by the blue agate 10 motif (which I absolutely love but the MOP would be even more versatile). The yg really looks lovely on your skin!

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@RunningwithScissors now that you’ve had a day to think, have you ruled any out? Looking back at your pics, I wonder how the chalcedony glowed... there are a couple of pieces earlier in this thread that demonstrate how difficult the stone can be to photograph. Would that bother you as you wear it?
Did you end up trying on any bracelets, or have you ruled that out as a possible purchase?

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Just adding my Christmas surprise! I kept telling my husband that I didn’t need any more jewelry until VCA released the long Magic Alhambra necklace in GMOP ... and then they did! I love the striped-ness of the colours on this motif!

943DC115-B3C7-454B-A924-030253F05323.jpeg

Have you ever worn it wrapped as a bracelet, as shown on the website? I’d love to see more pics of this gorgeous necklace if you’re interested in posting!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Second was the 10 motif Vintage Alhambra in blue agate. Oh my! The color was divine against my skin tone! The photo does not do justice. In real life, it glowed!

3 IMG_8893.jpg

Dreamy!!!!!!

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Next up, the Sweet Long in WG with diamonds. Very dainty and sparkly. Photos do not show that it twinkles so much, it is blinding from across the room. I do, however, wish the motifs were larger.

8 IMG_8892.jpg 9 IMG_8874 vertical.jpg

I love them all, of course particularly the Snowflake necklace. Surprisingly (to me), I love love this 20-motif sweet pave necklace. Not too blingy, just right!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@RunningwithScissors What a fun trip!! Thank you for sharing your photos - VCA to cheer a dreary day up :appl:

Okay. So. I LOVE the look of a twenty motif doubled on you. I think you could wear it long, too - such an elegant and casual look. I agree with @LLJsmom - a twenty in onyx - or agate! - would be a dream on you!! I like the MOP a lot too.

I’ll be the odd one out and say that I don’t love the chalcedony with your colouring. You’ve got some warmth, and chalcedony is just such an uncompromisingly cool hue - I feel like it really needs a winter skin and hair palette. I say that as someone who also has warm colouring (more extreme than you! Neither agate nor chalcedony suit me, but you look stunning in the bright blue).

I still think the letterwood might be a lovely option for a single pendant! ❤️

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
@RunningwithScissors what a fun day!!! Thank you for sharing your photos.

My first choice is obviously the snowflake necklace. BUT....if you are after something for more everyday wear.....

The 20 motif necklaces are a stunning choice on you. I really love them doubled. I actually like the way the 10 motif falls on you as well, and that might be my personal choice as I do not care for longer necklaces, but if you would wear them longer as well, 20 would be a wonderfully versatile choice.

As for stones, what does your wardrobe look like? Are you mostly dressed in jeans or are you dressed for work? If jeans, the agate would be so stunning. If you are dressing for work and wear a lot of black, wow, the onyx would be beautiful. I also really like the MOP, and in terms of neutrals, it would wear so well.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@RunningwithScissors What do you think of tiger’s eye? There’s a striated neutral that suits a warm complexion. I know it isn’t considered one of the sexy stones but I think it’s beautiful :love:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@RunningwithScissors , a more reasonably priced but gorgeous item from the Snowflake collection is the small pendant. It's still something that I would rarely have the opportunity to wear, but you have your art show events where you could wear it! It is one of the few pieces from their high jewelry collection that is possible for more people to access. (I agree with @yssie on coloring and which pieces are better than others.)

1613401825897.png

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
Hi Ladies! Sorry for my absence, I'm in TX and we're in the midst of a bad ice storm. My power has gone off and on and then stayed off for 12 hours...no heat, no wifi, a cranky rat terrier, freezing pool equipment...aye aye aye! Now its back on. Hallelujah.

I looooove hearing all your thoughts on the colors and styles I tried on. Gosh I feel like I have 15 girlfriends with me in the dressing room! And you all have so much knowledge to share too! I feel the love, thank you!

Ok, as long as my power stays on, I'm going to try to answer everyone...if I drop out again, you will know why.

<Pouring myself a mug of hot tea>

Last edited:

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
Snowflake Necklace

Oh yeah it is glorious, but I'm not in the market for high jewelry. I tried it on for kicks & giggles.

You all made me laugh and smile --so many voted it as the one I should select. (I'd have to sell my house and live in a yurt!) But I like your style!

(The pendant @diamondseeker2006 mentioned is beautiful. But, I've got my heart set on a an east-west emerald cut diamond solitaire down the road for my dressy pendant purchase.)

Last edited:

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
20 Motif Long Vintage Alhambra Necklace

This is the style I'm going to save my pennies for.

While I don't often wear long necklaces, I do wear "chunky" ones. I love big, bold & artsy in the necklace department and I LOVE the way the VCA Vintage Alhambra looks doubled.

When I was a kid, other kids called me a giraffe and it made me cry. I guess I have a lot of neck real estate to cover LOL. As an adult I'm totally at peace with my body. So bring on the VCA double strands!!! (Maybe this giraffe should wear her double strand VCA to her next high school reunion?)

Llama-wears-pearls.jpg

Ok, so this is a llama and she's not wearing VCA, but you get the idea.

Last edited:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Has anyone here (seriously) thought about buying VCA pieces on the secondary market--e.g. Beladora, Oakgem, etc?

Asking for a friend. :)

cheers--Sharon

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Has anyone here (seriously) thought about buying VCA pieces on the secondary market--e.g. Beladora, Oakgem, etc?

Asking for a friend. :)

cheers--Sharon

Usually second hand prices are so close to the current retail price that it isn't worth the risk of buying a fake. For pieces that are no longer produced, I'd only buy with a Certificate of Authenticity and preferably a copy of the original sales receipt and from a seller that accepts returns. I have bought a couple of non-VCA pieces from OakGem and have been pleased, though.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
20 Motif Long Vintage Alhambra Necklace

This is the style I'm going to save my pennies for.

While I don't often wear long necklaces, I do wear "chunky" ones. I love big, bold & artsy in the necklace department and I LOVE the way the VCA Vintage Alhambra looks doubled.

When I was a kid, other kids called me a giraffe and it made me cry. I guess I have a lot of neck real estate to cover LOL. As an adult I'm totally at peace with my body. So bring on the VCA double strands!!! (Maybe this giraffe should wear her double strand VCA to her next high school reunion?)

Llama-wears-pearls.jpg

Ok, so this is a llama and she's not wearing VCA, but you get the idea.

A 20 motif would be a wonderful choice! There is a IG person who is into a lot of designer things and she likes VCA a lot. She just discovered that she likes the 20 motif necklace, especially doubled. Here it is in case you'd like to see it!

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
Regarding what color/type of semi-precious stone for a 20 motif:

So many folks chimed in, with so many different opinions. :) Thank you!

You guys gave the most votes for the MOP and the Blue Agate. I agree, they are divine!

My boutique did not have the onyx, carnelian or agate in the 20 motif to try on, but I loved all three colors in the pendants and 10 motifs.

Here are my top choices that I love the most for the 20:

Onyx & YG
MOP & YG
MOP & WG
Blue Agate & YG
Carnelian & YG
YG (YG by itself - I can't afford the YG Guilloché & diamond 20 motif)

While I like the chalcedony, I don't love it on me as much as the other colors. @KristinTech asked if it bothered me that it greyed down in photographs. The answer is no, but just overall it was too subtle and I want more of a punch. Or if I go with subtle, I need the piece to be super versatile, like the MOP. The chalcedony was subtle, but because of the blue-ness, it will be a little more limiting wardrobe-wise.

The MOP has a silky, soft, feminine look. I feel like a movie star in it. It is subtle, and not as eye-catching as the onyx, carnelian or agate. But, it can go with absolutely everything (like @OdetteOdile @m-2-b and many others said!). And it feels sexy in a silky, feminine way.

The black onyx 20 piece would be amazing like @LLJsmom @diamondseeker2006 and @RosieR said. I think that one might be a winner when I try it on. (It wasn't in stock at my boutique, but the pendant version was and it really popped against my skin.) The onyx also feels sexy in a bad girl kinda way. The opposite to the MOP, but both I like. :)

I also think the 20 piece carnelian will be very eye-catching and I could wear it with black, white, camel & beige, so that covers a lot of my wardrobe. And red feels very powerful. It says, "I am here! See me!"

The blue agate is a wild card. The color looked amazing next to my skin tone - probably the best I tried on. So it is a finalist on my list. But I am concerned that it will be more limiting in what I can wear with it. I could see it paired with a white shirt (a man's button-down shirt, or a white t-shirt or even white silk blouse.) But I don't know what else? It has a lot of green in it, not just blue, so it may not see a lot of wear. My husband votes for this blue agate (but he likes it in single strand 10 motif.)

@yssie suggested the letterwood and the tiger's eye. I did not try them on, but I do think they'd be attractive. However, I just can't get myself excited about the letterwood on a gut level. It just doesn't seem as "gemmy" to me. It seems too ephemeral. I'm game to try the tiger's-eye. Next visit!

Thank you again to everyone who chimed in!

Last edited:

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
A 20 motif would be a wonderful choice! There is a IG person who is into a lot of designer things and she likes VCA a lot. She just discovered that she likes the 20 motif necklace, especially doubled. Here it is in case you'd like to see it!

Thanks, I'll check it out!

Thanks also for your suggestion to look for a clover pendant. Do they look like the Alhambra but just a different size?

Does each of the locations that have them have their own stone/color? Do they change over time like the holiday pendants do?

I used to go to Paris often for work, so that is a store I could check out. Does NYC have one too? Anywhere else in the US or Europe?

Last edited:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

You guys gave the most votes for the MOP and the Blue Agate. I agree, they are divine!

My boutique did not have the onyx, carnelian or agate in the 20 motif to try on, but I loved all three colors in the pendants and 10 motifs.

Onyx & YG
MOP & YG
MOP & WG
Blue Agate & YG
Carnelian & YG

While I like the chalcedony, I don't love it on me as much as the other colors. @KristinTech asked if it bothered me that it greyed down in photographs. The answer is no, but just overall it was too subtle and I want more of a punch. Or if I go with subtle, I need the piece to be super versatile, like the MOP. The chalcedony was subtle, but because of the blue-ness, it will be a little more limiting wardrobe-wise.

The MOP has a silky, soft, feminine look. I feel like a movie star in it. It is subtle, and not as eye-catching as the onyx, carnelian or agate. But, it can go with absolutely everything (like @OdetteOdile and many others said!). And it feels sexy in a silky, feminine way.

The black onyx 20 piece would be amazing like @LLJsmom @diamondseeker2006 and @RosieR said. I think that one might be a winner when I try it on. (It wasn't in stock at my boutique, but the pendant version was and it really popped against my skin.) The onyx also feels sexy in a bad girl kinda way. The opposite to the MOP, but both I like. :)

I also think the 20 piece carnelian will be very eye-catching and I could wear it with black, white, camel & beige, so that covers a lot of my wardrobe. And red feels very powerful. It says, "I am here! See me!"

The blue agate is a wild card. The color looked amazing next to my skin tone - probably the best I tried on. So it is a finalist in my list. But I a ym concerned that it will be more limiting in what I can wear with it. I could see it paired with a white shirt (a man's button-down shirt, or a white t-shirt or even white silk blouse.) But I don't know what else? It has a lot of green in it, not just blue, so it may not see a lot of wear.

@yssie suggested the letterwood and the tiger's eye. I did not try them on, but I do think they'd be attractive. However, I just can't get myself excited about the letterwood on a gut level. It just doesn't seem as "gemmy" to me. It seems too ephemeral. I'll try the tiger's-eye for completeness, but I'm not smitten at this time.

The onyx is my favorite on you. Then carnelian, which is think is powerful, and unexpected. The agate is beautiful, but less versatile, like you said. And the MOP is undoubtedly beautiful, but too expected. And for you, I just get the feeling that's too pedestrian, predictable. My 2c. :)

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, I'll check it out!

Thanks also for your suggestion to look for a clover pendant. Do they look like the Alhambra but just a different size?

Does each of the location stores that have them have their own stone/color? Do they change over time like the holiday pendants do?

I used to go to Paris often for work, so that is something I could check out. Does NYC have one too? Anywhere else in the US or Europe?

A lot of the flagship stores have their own special piece. NY has the onyx and WG long magic. Hong Kong has the carnelian pendant in a size between magic and vintage. Paris has the blue sevres porcelain with WG, I believe. Japan has the ginza version, which I think is a size between magic and vintage. Not sure. I think there are other versions at other stores.

Onyx & YG
MOP & YG
MOP & WG
Blue Agate & YG
Carnelian & YG

The MOP has a silky, soft, feminine look. I feel like a movie star in it. It is subtle, and not as eye-catching as the onyx, carnelian or agate. But, it can go with absolutely everything (like @OdetteOdile and many others said!). And it feels sexy in a silky, feminine way.

The blue agate is a wild card. The color looked amazing next to my skin tone - probably the best I tried on. So it is a finalist in my list. But I am concerned that it will be more limiting in what I can wear with it. I could see it paired with a white shirt (a man's button-down shirt, or a white t-shirt or even white silk blouse.) But I don't know what else? It has a lot of green in it, not just blue, so it may not see a lot of wear.

@yssie suggested the letterwood and the tiger's eye. I did not try them on, but I do think they'd be attractive. However, I just can't get myself excited about the letterwood on a gut level. It just doesn't seem as "gemmy" to me. It seems too ephemeral. I'll try the tiger's-eye for completeness, but I'm not smitten at this time.

I just saw your try on session pics and I would have to agree that with your colouring, I prefer the onyx, MOP or carnelian (in that order). I do think you should get the onyx 20-motif, if you’d like a 20.

I’m not sure how many pieces you’d eventually like to collect from VCA, but if you’re looking at multiples I’d suggest the following in that order:

- onyx and YG 20-motif
- MOP and WG 10-motif
- carnelian and YG magic long pendant
- diamond and WG sweet 16-motif (but alas this is crazy expensive).

If you’re looking for a pair of earrings to match your necklaces I would get the guilloche YG earrings, they’d go with the onyx and the carnelian; and for your WG pieces (if you buy them) you could always just wear your studs.

Exciting!

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here are some other options for you. How about the MOP Rose de Noel pendant/earring combo?

1613445722323.png

Or the Magic Alhambra 6 motif necklace?

1613445862376.png

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results