shape
carat
color
clarity

Show me your Van Cleef and Arpels jewelry!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you!! I’m always gonna be an earrings girl at heart ❤️

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LLJsmom.. LOVE that combo on you! The WG, the diamonds and the onyx all blend so perfectly. I also see the bubble ring peeking out from the corner.. the icing on the cake!:love:

Thank you @Rubies-R-Me. You’re the sweetest and you’ve got such an eagle eye. Caught the bubble ring!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the MOP on you too! Both the Alhambra and the Spring - the white is contrasty and youthful on you ❤️

So the Frivole, I know what you mean. The clip is visible from the front on me too! The thing about the Frivole (the Two Butterfly earrings are the same way) is that the flowers are designed to look upward a bit, so in the small size the design ends up exposing more of the clip on those of us with higher piercings or fleshier lobes. Whereas Alhambra sits flat on the ear by design, and so keeps the clip invisible face-forward… The large size Frivole earrings don’t have that problem. They don’t come in pave as stock, but the boldness of the all-metal has its own appeal - maybe something to ask your SA to keep watch for? I wouldn’t try to play games rotating the small size Frivole. Because of that slight angling of the flowers that they’ve built into the design. I think you have to be okay with how they look worn as intended, with the clip going round the bottom of your lobe.

@sweets4dsweet, @yssie describes the clip on the Frivole perfectly. I noticed the exact same thing on the pave frivoles. The bottom part of the clip is visible on my ears too. I love how they look in others but somehow it bothers me when I see the bottom of the clip.

Last edited:

SylviaF

Shiny_Rock
@yssie Happy belated Birthday! Your sapphire bracelet took my breath away! It is perfect for you! May I ask, what earrings do you like to pair it with?

SylviaF

Shiny_Rock
Since I went in for earrings, I was able to try on quite a few styles. They didn't have the exact pair available that day but I was able to try on something similar. Which pair/style do you like best?

MOP Alhambra

MOP.png

Lucky Spring Plum Blossom
Plum Blossoms.png

Small Frivole (Pave, rose gold, pink sapphire center. Unique to Europe). I would get it in yellow gold.

Frivole Pave.png

Alhambra in Carnelian Carnelian.png

Another vote for either one of WMOP styles, they really pop against your hair and skin.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@yssie Happy belated Birthday! Your sapphire bracelet took my breath away! It is perfect for you! May I ask, what earrings do you like to pair it with?

Thank you! I’m really enjoying how wearable this bracelet is! ❤️ I’ve got three pairs of earrings that I’ve been gravitating toward - my diamond studs, my smaller white south sea pearl studs, and a low-profile 1ctw pair of huggies for when I know I'll want to shove the bracelet up under my sleeve for some part of the day ::)

IMG_5300.png

@yssie I was in Paris on vacation and stopped in at a few VCA boutiques while there. I thought of you when I saw these.

20230701_155116.jpg 20230701_155112.jpg

The blue and white combo is so regal :love: I think I'd pair them exactly like this - blue earrings and white bracelet. Or white earrings and blue bracelet. Not that this is a quandary I'll be needing to resolve any time soon :lol:

Last edited:

SylviaF

Shiny_Rock
Thank you! I’m really enjoying how wearable this bracelet is! ❤️ I’ve got three pairs of earrings that I’ve been gravitating toward - my diamond studs, my smaller white south sea pearl studs, and a low-profile 1ctw pair of huggies for when I know I'll want to shove the bracelet up under my sleeve for some part of the day ::)

IMG_5300.png
All great choices but the studs and bracelet combination is just absolutely stunning! The round diamonds compliment the stones in the bracelet perfectly!

sweets4dsweet

Rough_Rock
I hope this is the right thread to ask for help choosing VCA earrings, if not, please let me know because I see there's another thread for jewelry one is considering purchasing.

My heart wants the small yg mirror frivole. It really really wants it but everyone and my mom (seriously) say the WMOP is most flattering on me. I agree actually. YG is not as flattering on me and the ear clip is visible on my lobe but I love the shape of the frivole. I'm determined to make it work somehow and it might mean I get the large mirror frivole or (gulp) the small white gold pave version in the distant future.

At this point, I am considering the vintage or Magic WMOP Alhambra in yellow gold. Should I get the vintage or magic size? Is magic worth the extra $1200? The extra money could go a long ways towards something frivole. Thoughts?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope this is the right thread to ask for help choosing VCA earrings, if not, please let me know because I see there's another thread for jewelry one is considering purchasing.

My heart wants the small yg mirror frivole. It really really wants it but everyone and my mom (seriously) say the WMOP is most flattering on me. I agree actually. YG is not as flattering on me and the ear clip is visible on my lobe but I love the shape of the frivole. I'm determined to make it work somehow and it might mean I get the large mirror frivole or (gulp) the small white gold pave version in the distant future.

At this point, I am considering the vintage or Magic WMOP Alhambra in yellow gold. Should I get the vintage or magic size? Is magic worth the extra $1200? The extra money could go a long ways towards something frivole. Thoughts?

Lemme ask, d’you like the Magic size better?

Get whichever size makes you more excited! If you settle for something you don’t love, when you could have had what you love - you’ll always wish it was The Other. And that’s not a good way to feel about something whose only raison d’etre is to thrill you every time you think about it ❤️

You’ve tried magic earrings right?

Last edited:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

The vintage MOP is such a classic, iconic piece. I also love it in Magic, but for me, the vintage is so much more wearable and casual but can also be worn when dressed up! I have the white gold mop and the matching short Magic mop pendant, and I do think the Magic earrings would be a little too much when wearing the pendant. On the other hand, the two motif yg mop drop earrings are lovely, too. Just think about what other pieces you might get to wear with the earrings. Whichever you choose, having white mother of pearl is certainly a staple of a VCA earring collection!

However, I also love Frivole and haven't managed to get any yet. I think I slightly favor those in yellow gold in the polished version. I've only tried on the small yellow gold ones.

Here's a fairly bad picture of me trying those on, and I agree with Yssie that you can position them better to lessen the visibility of the clip. Mine is at the base of the lobe and you can hardly see it. Seeing the picture makes me want them again! Ha! Good luck with your decision, but you really can't go wrong!

IMG_4270.jpeg

sweets4dsweet

Rough_Rock
Lemme ask, d’you like the Magic size better?

Get whichever size makes you more excited! If you settle for something you don’t love, when you could have had what you love - you’ll always wish it was The Other. And that’s not a good way to feel about something whose only raison d’etre is to thrill you every time you think about it ❤️

You’ve tried magic earrings right?

That's a very good question because I've never seen one in real life, let alone try it on . I was expecting the vintage to have more presence on my ear but I think I'm influenced by your lovely (large) floral pieces that you wear with such aplomb.

I'll be visiting two places this summer with a boutique within an hour of my location. I might try my luck at both places :) The VCA bug came down hard and fast!

sweets4dsweet

Rough_Rock
The vintage MOP is such a classic, iconic piece. I also love it in Magic, but for me, the vintage is so much more wearable and casual but can also be worn when dressed up! I have the white gold mop and the matching short Magic mop pendant, and I do think the Magic earrings would be a little too much when wearing the pendant. On the other hand, the two motif yg mop drop earrings are lovely, too. Just think about what other pieces you might get to wear with the earrings. Whichever you choose, having white mother of pearl is certainly a staple of a VCA earring collection!

However, I also love Frivole and haven't managed to get any yet. I think I slightly favor those in yellow gold in the polished version. I've only tried on the small yellow gold ones.

Here's a fairly bad picture of me trying those on, and I agree with Yssie that you can position them better to lessen the visibility of the clip. Mine is at the base of the lobe and you can hardly see it. Seeing the picture makes me want them again! Ha! Good luck with your decision, but you really can't go wrong!

IMG_4270.jpeg

I love how this looks on you! If it would hang like that on my earlobes, I'd get it in a heartbeat.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's a very good question because I've never seen one in real life, let alone try it on . I was expecting the vintage to have more presence on my ear but I think I'm influenced by your lovely (large) floral pieces that you wear with such aplomb.

I'll be visiting two places this summer with a boutique within an hour of my location. I might try my luck at both places :) The VCA bug came down hard and fast!

SOOOO I wouldn't buy the Magic unless you can see them before committing money long-term. Like, either trying them on, or buying with a refund/exchange option. The extra size - it's a really significant visual difference.

For me the Magic is just too big. Sounds weird given that I *like* big earrings, right? I was sure, when I was first thinking about Alhambra earrings, that the Magic size would be my target. But the Alhambra design is so flat and simple and bold - scaling that flat simple boldness up from Vintage to Magic next to my face wasn't a good thing, they wore me rather than me wearing them. But plenty of others wear Magic earrings and look right at home in them!!

sweets4dsweet

Rough_Rock
Ok, I'll do my best to try on any magic size earring this summer and report back! I want to pick the MOP in-person. One of the reasons I didn't get the MOP in Milan is bc that MOP looked really flat, monotone, and dull in real life. I want something with a lot of iridescence and I'm happy to wait for the right pair.

Do you happen to have a picture wearing the large yg mirror frivole? I see you sold it ;( but I'm really curious to see how that looks on your ears as we both have high piercings.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok, I'll do my best to try on any magic size earring this summer and report back! I want to pick the MOP in-person. One of the reasons I didn't get the MOP in Milan is bc that MOP looked really flat, monotone, and dull in real life. I want something with a lot of iridescence and I'm happy to wait for the right pair.

Do you happen to have a picture wearing the large yg mirror frivole? I see you sold it ;( but I'm really curious to see how that looks on your ears as we both have high piercings.

I think these pics are all I've got! Link should take you right to the post. I didn't take many at all - at first I put it aside to give to my mother, but she was much more interested in stealing my pearls :lol: So off they went.

Edit - I know I already said this but honestly, the white MOP was SO pretty on you in the pics you shared a couple days ago. I 100% think you're making the right call with that stone. A classic, versatile, and flattering bling wardrobe staple. Those earrings can take you anywhere and everywhere! The Frivole, any size, polished or pave, they're a more specific style - less generalist IMO. I don't think you'll regret getting the WMOP. Especially when you look in the mirror :bigsmile:

Last edited:

Pomelo

Brilliant_Rock

Choosing between VCA designs is always a wonderful problem to have! Definitely second Yssie's suggestion of trying things on in-store, as all our ears and faces are different.

For me, I think the starting point is what occasion(s) are you thinking of wearing them, and how careful are you with your jewellery?

If you love the YG mirror frivole but not the clip (I'm in the same boat), have you tried on the mini or the large? I personally adore the large for how bold they are - the mirror bounces light like crazy and I prefer this effect to the subtler pave version. The thing stopping me from getting them is I already have a similar sized pair of earrings in YG and can’t justify both.

Regarding the WMOP, it's beautifully iridescent but the stone is too delicate for a klutz like me - I know they will get scratched, and I won't be bothered to take them off when I shower or sleep. And it sounds like you're getting the WMOP because everyone else loves it - but do you actually love it?

Just to flag - I have the same ear clip issues with the Vintage size, but not with the Magics. If you're thinking about wearing the Vintage vs Magics interchangeably (i.e. you'd wear them for the same occasions) then I think the Magics are worth an extra $1200 for (1) the presence, and (2) not seeing the ear clip.

However, I wonder if the real question is whether you'd prefer Alhambra or Frivole =)2

Here are the different sizes on my ear (note that I don’t own any of these, just tried them on in store!)

9F15E88E-898A-47B7-86AD-42F90DD8F59B.jpeg
98E44FF4-A28D-418B-8DF0-5DAD57E43AE2.jpeg

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

This reply is just about your feelings. You are clear that your heart wants the Frivole more than the WMOP, not that you wouldn’t also immediately add the WMOP to your collection of money was no object. Since you will happily wear both, get what your heart truly wants more first, the Frivole. Then after you get it your heart will prioritize the WMOP and you will buy the WMOP without any angst. And if it doesn’t, then you didn’t want WMOP that much it the first place. I admit that the WMOP looks amazing on you. But we don’t have to buy everything that looks amazing on us. I would venture to say that MOP looks amazing on tons of people, which is why it’s so popular. Personally I never bought it because it never made me excited. However after collecting VCA now for a while, I might consider it. And like @yssie and @diamondseeker2006 said, do not get the magic size until you’ve tried it on and if you fall harder in love with it than the Frivole.

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
I think you should buy what makes your heart beat faster, you'll figure out how to incorporate into your wardrobe. If you love it, and it's not completely impractical, then you'll wear it.

Last winter I bought a Bvlgari bracelet in rose gold. When trying the various models on in the store, everyone said the white gold version looked better on me, and I agreed because it "popped" more against my skin tone. And the WG also went with more of my jewelry wardrobe. But I adored the rose gold version. I went back and forth and back and forth trying to decide between my head and my heart. Heart won and I bough the RG version. I couldn't be happier with it and wear it almost every day! No regrets.

sweets4dsweet

Rough_Rock
Choosing between VCA designs is always a wonderful problem to have! Definitely second Yssie's suggestion of trying things on in-store, as all our ears and faces are different.

For me, I think the starting point is what occasion(s) are you thinking of wearing them, and how careful are you with your jewellery?

If you love the YG mirror frivole but not the clip (I'm in the same boat), have you tried on the mini or the large? I personally adore the large for how bold they are - the mirror bounces light like crazy and I prefer this effect to the subtler pave version. The thing stopping me from getting them is I already have a similar sized pair of earrings in YG and can’t justify both.

Regarding the WMOP, it's beautifully iridescent but the stone is too delicate for a klutz like me - I know they will get scratched, and I won't be bothered to take them off when I shower or sleep. And it sounds like you're getting the WMOP because everyone else loves it - but do you actually love it?

Just to flag - I have the same ear clip issues with the Vintage size, but not with the Magics. If you're thinking about wearing the Vintage vs Magics interchangeably (i.e. you'd wear them for the same occasions) then I think the Magics are worth an extra $1200 for (1) the presence, and (2) not seeing the ear clip.

However, I wonder if the real question is whether you'd prefer Alhambra or Frivole =)2

Here are the different sizes on my ear (note that I don’t own any of these, just tried them on in store!)

Thank you for the photo comparison and your input! It is so helpful to see the sizes next to each other. You can definitely pull off all three sizes. The large Frivole looks fabulous on you. I really hope I can find it in-store to try on too.

sweets4dsweet

Rough_Rock
I think these pics are all I've got! Link should take you right to the post. I didn't take many at all - at first I put it aside to give to my mother, but she was much more interested in stealing my pearls :lol: So off they went.

Edit - I know I already said this but honestly, the white MOP was SO pretty on you in the pics you shared a couple days ago. I 100% think you're making the right call with that stone. A classic, versatile, and flattering bling wardrobe staple. Those earrings can take you anywhere and everywhere! The Frivole, any size, polished or pave, they're a more specific style - less generalist IMO. I don't think you'll regret getting the WMOP. Especially when you look in the mirror :bigsmile:

You are SO kind and generous with your time and wisdom. I wasn't clear earlier, but I plan on getting both Alhambra and Frivole, though not at the same time. Since I know I love the WMOP Alhambra and am still undecided with the Frivole, I want to get my hot little hands on the Alhambra now.

The plan is to result in two vastly different earrings (size, color, style). I don't like the small rose gold pave frivole on me at all (no color contrast/dulled my face) but I think I might really like the small in YG mirror or WG pave despite the visible clip. I'm less likely to get the Frivole in large (your reasons were very logical and persuasive!), which is why I was thinking of bumping the Alhambra up a size.

A bump in size may not be necessary/flattering though. I really need to try the large frivole and magic in-store to make these determinations because all the preconceptions I brought with me on my first visit were wrong!

sweets4dsweet

Rough_Rock
This reply is just about your feelings. You are clear that your heart wants the Frivole more than the WMOP, not that you wouldn’t also immediately add the WMOP to your collection of money was no object. Since you will happily wear both, get what your heart truly wants more first, the Frivole. Then after you get it your heart will prioritize the WMOP and you will buy the WMOP without any angst. And if it doesn’t, then you didn’t want WMOP that much it the first place. I admit that the WMOP looks amazing on you. But we don’t have to buy everything that looks amazing on us. I would venture to say that MOP looks amazing on tons of people, which is why it’s so popular. Personally I never bought it because it never made me excited. However after collecting VCA now for a while, I might consider it. And like @yssie and @diamondseeker2006 said, do not get the magic size until you’ve tried it on and if you fall harder in love with it than the Frivole.

Thank you thank you for the words of wisdom! I've been trying to read through all 160+ pages of this forum and I really enjoy reading about your pieces. You and all the people on this forum have been so helpful.

I have come to realize that I love the artistry of the Frivole but I have yet to find the best iteration (size, material) for me so I'll put that on hold until I can make a determination. Crossing my fingers that I'll be able to try these on at a boutique in the near future!

sweets4dsweet

Rough_Rock
I think you should buy what makes your heart beat faster, you'll figure out how to incorporate into your wardrobe. If you love it, and it's not completely impractical, then you'll wear it.

Last winter I bought a Bvlgari bracelet in rose gold. When trying the various models on in the store, everyone said the white gold version looked better on me, and I agreed because it "popped" more against my skin tone. And the WG also went with more of my jewelry wardrobe. But I adored the rose gold version. I went back and forth and back and forth trying to decide between my head and my heart. Heart won and I bough the RG version. I couldn't be happier with it and wear it almost every day! No regrets.

The Bvlgari in rose gold sounds beautiful! Thank you for the vote to follow the heart.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Very helpful pictures!

snotty_pie

Shiny_Rock
I got my first VCA piece!! Usually I buy something to celebrate a milestone, but right now in the middle of a tough time at work so decided to splurge. Love that the 20 motif can be worn in so many different ways! IMG_6262.jpeg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results