shape
carat
color
clarity

Show me your turquoise jewelry!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here are some turquoise pieces that I made myself.
I wear them all often. The pendant is so versatile. On a long chain, it goes with everything. The lizard pin is fun.
IMG_20180310_173656289.jpg

Last edited:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wear them all often. The pendant is so versatile. On a long chain, it goes with everything. The lizard pin is fun.
IMG_20180310_173621533.jpg

Oh I love this stracci. Especially that lizard. So adorable. :kiss2:
You’re so talented!

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMG_20180310_173621533.jpg
The turquoise in those looks amazing! The ring looks like Bluegem or Morenci! All gorgeous, Stracci. I love your work. You really have made the color and the shapes the focus, without extra distractions, which makes them very striking IMO. ( except the lizard, which has great lizard body tension in the form while remaining paired down to an essence. I can imagine it running away any second, as lizards do!)
. Thanks for sharing!

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We were strolling about our neighborhood yesterday and thanks to you lovely ladies turquoise is now on my radar and we saw some lovely pieces at a local neighborhood store. Not the same quality as your gorgeous pieces in this thread but I thought you might enjoy some of turquoise eye candy we saw there nonetheless.

This was my favorite piece there. It's 18 inches though and only if it were shorter I might have been tempted... I thought oh wouldn't it look marvelous as a choker.

turquoisenecklaceheavy.jpg

Some turquoise dangles.

turquoisedangles.jpg

more turquoise dangles

turquoisedangleearrings.jpeg

Bottom necklace
turquoisenecklace.jpeg

Top 2 necklaces turquoise

turquoiseandbluenecklaces.jpg

An interesting take on Turquoise "studs"
turquioseearrings.jpg

and lastly a sweet turquoise bracelet.

turquiosebracelet.jpg
Oh it must have been fun walking around and window browsing! Thank you for the pics. I really like both the delicate chains and the cool earrings.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
8A9986FE-5DEF-4AF9-8BA3-6E47F4AE75CA.jpeg 16E62E62-26A8-4E4D-93B2-2E5B6DDEB237.jpeg Just browsing...I always thought it would be great to have some large, pure, untreated turquoise beads. Like these...( I have a strand, but they are shorter and barrel shaped Persian turquoise beads. They have a different look.)

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
8A9986FE-5DEF-4AF9-8BA3-6E47F4AE75CA.jpeg 16E62E62-26A8-4E4D-93B2-2E5B6DDEB237.jpeg Just browsing...I always thought it would be great to have some large, pure, untreated turquoise beads. Like these...

This is divine! Turquoiselicious indeed. :love: I need to purchase a big fat turquoise piece. Lol and I hardly ever wear necklaces but that color. Swoon. :kiss2:

Thank you for adding more delicious turquoise @Bluegemz and @stracci2000 :appl:

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The turquoise in those looks amazing! The ring looks like Bluegem or Morenci! All gorgeous, Stracci. I love your work. You really have made the color and the shapes the focus, without extra distractions, which makes them very striking IMO. ( except the lizard, which has great lizard body tension in the form while remaining paired down to an essence. I can imagine it running away any second, as lizards do!)
. Thanks for sharing!
I let the stone speak for itself. I like my work to be a bit more contemporary in style.
The bracelet was made from turquoise scrap slices given to me by a friend. It was a personal challenge to see what I could make from them!

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
998DA901-C20A-46EF-A340-B20377233093.jpeg E3C4AE8E-2231-400C-8FED-7BC546D4407F.jpeg
This is divine! Turquoiselicious indeed. :love: I need to purchase a big fat turquoise piece. Lol and I hardly ever wear necklaces but that color. Swoon. :kiss2:

Thank you for adding more delicious turquoise @Bluegemz and @stracci2000 :appl:
Oh that would be amazing! Can you imagine with a white summer outfit? Or even with black and diamonds in the evening. Best would be to find gem quality, unstabilized beads. Look at these cocktail pieces, just for fun.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I let the stone speak for itself. I like my work to be a bit more contemporary in style.
The bracelet was made from turquoise scrap slices given to me by a friend. It was a personal challenge to see what I could make from them!
You did a great job! I think turquoise really has that ability to speak for itself in the stones. That’s different from many other gems. I love the contemporary styles too.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@stracci2000 , how long did it take you to learn how to do silver smithing and stone setting? Do you spend a lot of time doing it?
I’ve always wanted to try it. It must be so great to make your own things, exactly in accordance with personal vision. It’s harder to have someone else interpret that vision and make it

Last edited:

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@stracci2000 , how long did it take you to learn how to do silver smithing and stone setting? Do you spend a lot of time doing it?
I’ve always wanted to try it. It must be so great to make your own things, exactly in accordance with personal vision. It’s harder to have someone else interpret that vision and make it
Bluegemz,
I connected with a lady who was a silversmith, from Zuni Pueblo. I met her by chance and loved her jewelry. So I just blurted out to her "Do you give lessons, will you teach me?" And she said "Sure!"
I went to her house and spent 3 hours with her, while she showed me how it was done. I took LOTS of notes, and she told me what tools to buy and where to get them.
She charged me $50.00 ----A bargain! This was in 2003.

I proceeded to buy all the stuff, which at the time cost me about $400. Then I was on my own. I've had no formal training at all. I got some books from the library, and looked at a lot of jewelry on the internet. This was before Youtube videos, which are VERY helpful, BTW.
I melted a lot of silver and cracked a lot of gems at first. But I am passionate about jewelry and I never gave up.
To answer your question, it took about 4 months on my own to get good at it, mostly working/experimenting on weekends. And I work on jewelry most weekends. I have a spare room that is my little "bench".
You can take classes, of course, where they will tell you all about metallurgy and other technical things that you will maybe never need to know.

Here in NM, there is a lot of jewelry making going on, and a lot of places to buy supplies, due to the Native American influence. But you can mail order anything these days. The best online supplier is
Rio Grande Supply, which by chance is right here in Albuquerque.

So I would say to find someone who will sit down with you and teach you some basic soldering techniques, and not get too technical.
There is no end to what can be done once you can solder metal together. Chain, bezels, toggles, etc! You can make a piece from the ground up. It is very liberating!
I hope you can go forward with this. Jewelry is a lifelong love for me, and when I learned to make my own designs, it was very satisfying.

Miki Moto

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
8A9986FE-5DEF-4AF9-8BA3-6E47F4AE75CA.jpeg 16E62E62-26A8-4E4D-93B2-2E5B6DDEB237.jpeg Just browsing...I always thought it would be great to have some large, pure, untreated turquoise beads. Like these...( I have a strand, but they are shorter and barrel shaped Persian turquoise beads. They have a different look.)

I love Persian turquoise and looked st a necklace just like this at the Tucson Gem show. A dealer was there. They were gorgeous and I plan to get them in the future. I had just purchased and emerald so I need to wait on my Persian turquoise.

I love robin egg blue turquoise without any matrix and love Sleeping Beauty. But the show was the first time I had truly seen clean Persian turquoise and it was beautiful.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love Persian turquoise and looked st a necklace just like this at the Tucson Gem show. A dealer was there. They were gorgeous and I plan to get them in the future. I had just purchased and emerald so I need to wait on my Persian turquoise.

I love robin egg blue turquoise without any matrix and love Sleeping Beauty. But the show was the first time I had truly seen clean Persian turquoise and it was beautiful.
They are so beautiful. Finding a beautiful, untreated strand is a feat in and of itself. If there is a place to find one though, it’s Tucson gem fair!

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bluegemz,
I connected with a lady who was a silversmith, from Zuni Pueblo. I met her by chance and loved her jewelry. So I just blurted out to her "Do you give lessons, will you teach me?" And she said "Sure!"
I went to her house and spent 3 hours with her, while she showed me how it was done. I took LOTS of notes, and she told me what tools to buy and where to get them.
She charged me $50.00 ----A bargain! This was in 2003.

I proceeded to buy all the stuff, which at the time cost me about $400. Then I was on my own. I've had no formal training at all. I got some books from the library, and looked at a lot of jewelry on the internet. This was before Youtube videos, which are VERY helpful, BTW.
I melted a lot of silver and cracked a lot of gems at first. But I am passionate about jewelry and I never gave up.
To answer your question, it took about 4 months on my own to get good at it, mostly working/experimenting on weekends. And I work on jewelry most weekends. I have a spare room that is my little "bench".
You can take classes, of course, where they will tell you all about metallurgy and other technical things that you will maybe never need to know.

Here in NM, there is a lot of jewelry making going on, and a lot of places to buy supplies, due to the Native American influence. But you can mail order anything these days. The best online supplier is
Rio Grande Supply, which by chance is right here in Albuquerque.

So I would say to find someone who will sit down with you and teach you some basic soldering techniques, and not get too technical.
There is no end to what can be done once you can solder metal together. Chain, bezels, toggles, etc! You can make a piece from the ground up. It is very liberating!
I hope you can go forward with this. Jewelry is a lifelong love for me, and when I learned to make my own designs, it was very satisfying.
That’s a great story and very inspiring! I’ve taken one silver smithing class, and have done some sculpture, including bronze casting . At the time, I got easily frustrated with how hard it is to gain the skills in silver smithing. Silver can be amazingly hard to work. My saws would break almost immediately lol, and then my final piece got stolen. I think it’s a steep learning curve at first but then it must get easier.
I’m in new Mexico too, in Santa Fe! I know rio grande! Have you gone to Madrid? If not, then it’s worth a trip to see Dayton Simmon’s shop, Silver Day Trading Company. . He has a fabulous selection of great, untreated turquoise and is known as a turquoise expert. Lectures and presents through The GIA. Many of the local artists buy stock from him. Really fun just to see the inventory there!

Last edited:

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That’s a great story and very inspiring! I’ve taken one silver smithing class, and have done some sculpture, including bronze casting . At the time, I got easily frustrated with how hard it is to gain the skills in silver smithing. Silver can be amazingly hard to work. My saws would break almost immediately lol, and then my final piece got stolen. I think it’s a steep learning curve at first but then it must get easier.
I’m in new Mexico too, in Santa Fe! I know rio grande! Have you gone to Madrid? If not, then it’s worth a trip to see Dayton Simmon’s shop, Silver Day Trading Company. . He has a fabulous selection of great, untreated turquoise and is known as a turquoise expert. Lectures and presents through The GIA. Many of the local artists buy stock from him. Really fun just to see the inventory there!
Oh, you' re in Santa Fe! What a coincidence. I go to Santa Fe often.
Of course I've been to Madrid! And I have been to Silver Day Trading. I love the galleries. DH is a professional photographer, and we go gallery hopping in Madrid, and also in Santa Fe. Lots of fun!

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, you' re in Santa Fe! What a coincidence. I go to Santa Fe often.
Of course I've been to Madrid! And I have been to Silver Day Trading. I love the galleries. DH is a professional photographer, and we go gallery hopping in Madrid, and also in Santa Fe. Lots of fun!
Oh that’s so cool! If you ever feel like it, let me know if you want to get together sometime or maybe will just run into each other. The gallery openings on fridays on Canyon road are a lot of fun in the Spring time. I am sad to say that I do not know of many great shops/ galleries outside of Santa in NM.

Last edited:

Miki Moto

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
3B0DA65B-2B6C-499F-868E-ECA1586E4E81.jpeg
They are so beautiful. Finding a beautiful, untreated strand is a feat in and of itself. If there is a place to find one though, it’s Tucson gem fair!

I’m a newbie so if I may ask if you have any thoughts on pricing? Here is the strand I saw... I took a photo and also of the company. They were asking $3K less 10% show discount so $2,700 which I thought was a good price, but as I had just purchased a Colombian emerald, I didn’t want to go crazy spending as it was my first time at the Tucson show.

Do you think $2,700 was a fair price?
I plan to get them next year when I go again (I love that show!) as they are exhibit there every year. Plus, I plan to contact them prior and ask them to make me a 14” strand as I have a small neck and want to wear it more as choker length. And I want matching earrings too like in your photo!

Gloria27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I don't know about the price but that strand there is WOW!
Where is the turquoise from and what about treatment?

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If untreated, That seems like a very fair price IMO. I paid about 1000 for mine, 10 years ago. And they are not as big as those. ( got a good deal at my family’s long time jeweler). I’ve seen them go for quite a bit more than that too. It would be far too expensive if stabilized though. Only about one percent of turquoise is gem quality, which means it is strong enough to be untreated. That’s why there is such a big price difference. Most is chalk like before being stabilized, but the gem stuff is very glassy and much stronger naturally.
There are different kinds of treatment. Most is stabilized using polymer, and some is treated via Zachary method, which has no other chemicals, but the strength of the turquoise has been changed through a secret process. Last I heard, labs can’t test for this, but again, no added chemicals. I believe this is not nearly as common as a treatment. I’m not completely up to date on this. Might be worth reading about.

Last edited:

Miki Moto

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
974ACA73-3CD4-46E2-8F44-F4E6ECC7F5CC.jpeg CB257AE1-0349-4BA1-9390-E784B7937357.jpeg
I don't know about the price but that strand there is WOW!
Where is the turquoise from and what about treatment?

It is from Persia, the owner was born in Iran (present day Persia), and her father was a turquoise dealer. She then started a jewelry business focusing on turquoise. Her jewelry pieces are not my style as they are very heavy yellow gold with turquoise. I compared her price to a big turquoise cabachon ring for $1K and the stone was about the same size as my Tiffany cabachon ring that I paid $1350 for which I know part of that price included the cost of being a Tiffany and I know Tiffany does not use Persian turquoise (reposting the photo here so you don’t have to dig in this thread), so I thought for she was in the ballpark given her stone is Persian. The turquoise is natural and most of her pieces have matrix. If you zoom in you can see some slight matrix but not much. It is the best I have seen so far, but I am not an expert by all means. For the strands, she only had 3 strands (the other two smaller ones are in the background) with this one having the largest size beads which is what I wanted.

Miki Moto

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If untreated, That seems like a very fair price IMO. I paid about 1000 for mine, 10 years ago. And they are not as big as those. ( got a good deal at my family’s long time jeweler). I’ve seen them go for quite a bit more than that too. It would be far too expensive if stabilized though. Only about one percent of turquoise is gem quality, which means it is strong enough to be untreated. That’s why there is such a big price difference. Most is chalk like before being stabilized, but the gem stuff is very glassy and much stronger naturally.
There are different kinds of treatment. Most is stabilized using polymer, and some is treated via Zachary method, which has no other chemicals, but the strength of the turquoise has been changed through a secret process. Last I heard, labs can’t test for this, but again, no added chemicals. I believe this is not nearly as common as a treatment. I’m not completely up to date on this. Might be worth reading about.

Thank you for sharing this. Now I wish I had bought the necklace! And yes, I have Sleeping Beauty turquoise which is stabilized via the Zachary method and quite honestly, I am disappointed. It looks too good and fake if you know what I mean. So I got rid of them as I like clean turquoise but with a black spot or two here and there if that makes sense.

Thanks for the input. Ugh... now I want that necklace! I am sure she can put together another one for next year’s show.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for sharing this. Now I wish I had bought the necklace! And yes, I have Sleeping Beauty turquoise which is stabilized via the Zachary method and quite honestly, I am disappointed. It looks too good and fake if you know what I mean. So I got rid of them as I like clean turquoise but with a black spot or two here and there if that makes sense.

Thanks for the input. Ugh... now I want that necklace! I am sure she can put together another one for next year’s show.
I do know what you mean! I don’t like that look either! I chose mine because it has white matrix and is definitely a raw, natural stone. I like a few spots and matrix, but not too many.
I really hope that you get a strand like that one next year. Would be an heirloom treasure. Sounds like it was a find and they are not so easy to come by these days.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
BAAF61C0-0A98-4869-B9AC-BD3289781F93.jpeg It’s amazing what range Persian turquoise can have, from deep, electric blue without matrix, to a very
Light blue, to pieces with lots of matrix, from light to dark.
Just noticed this very light color, which I think it’s gorgeous even though it’s not trade ideal.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is a chunk of untreated turquoise from Egypt.(Sinai area)
It is soft and crumbles. This is why turquoise is almost always treated. This stuff is mostly unusable for jewelry.
IMG_20180311_194238867.jpg

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is soft and crumbles. This is why turquoise is almost always treated. This stuff is mostly unusable for jewelry.
Color is so beautiful though!

Miki Moto

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Thanks for the info. Now I am curious and think maybe I did not ask the right question about that strand. I read more about the turquoise categories: Natural, Stabilized, Treated, Reconstituted. If per this link, natural is less than 3% of all turquoise, I seriously doubt I would get a strand for $2.7K... more like $10K. Here is the link where I read this info: http://www.theturquoisechick.com/kinds.htm

I am thinking now this strand stabilized turquoise? But if that is the case, the Sleeping Beauty I had was stabilized via Zachary method and I thought it looked too good, like fake. Would the Sleeping Beauty beads via the Zachary method fall into the Reconstituted category?

Here is the link to the company that was at the Tucson Gem Show. They are called Ohana Turquoise:
http://www.ohanaturquoise.com/about-us.html

Any opinion you have would be great. Thank you.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the info. Now I am curious and think maybe I did not ask the right question about that strand. I read more about the turquoise categories: Natural, Stabilized, Treated, Reconstituted. If per this link, natural is less than 3% of all turquoise, I seriously doubt I would get a strand for $2.7K... more like $10K. Here is the link where I read this info: http://www.theturquoisechick.com/kinds.htm

I am thinking now this strand stabilized turquoise? But if that is the case, the Sleeping Beauty I had was stabilized via Zachary method and I thought it looked too good, like fake. Would the Sleeping Beauty beads via the Zachary method fall into the Reconstituted category?

Here is the link to the company that was at the Tucson Gem Show. They are called Ohana Turquoise:
http://www.ohanaturquoise.com/about-us.html

Any opinion you have would be great. Thank you.
Reconstituted is not the same as Zachary method. Sleeping beauty turquoise can look almost fake because of its even color and texture. That may be why it looked and felt fake-ish. Unless they were dishonest about treatment. As I understand it, Zachary method doesn’t change the overall look of the turquoise.
I think one can get a strand of untreated for 3k, but they definitely go for a lot more too. Depends on color, size, quality, flaws, evenness of color, graduation etc. Sometimes price jumps up very high after a certain bead size, because finding thicker veins of gem quality turquoise is rarer. Also, a graduated strand usually has only a few big beads in front, the rest considerably smaller.
The products on the site look beautiful and natural to me ....The matrix and flaws are consistent with much of the Persian turquoise which I’ve seen. However, one cannot see treatment or stabilization with pics alone. Would they be willing to accept returns and refund contingent on the confirmation of natural via a reputable lab report? Since you already have a strand which you are not 100% pleased with, I think being sure about the next strand would add to the joy of getting it.

Last edited:

Miki Moto

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Reconstituted is not the same as Zachary method. It’s turquoise dust made solid with a glue base. The cheapest of all treated turquoise. I’m not an expert, but reconstituted looks and feels plastic like. Treated would mean Zachary method, and sprayed with dye in addition to polymer, whereas stabilized is natural turquoise which is soaked or sprayed with polymer. This seals chalky turquoise, like the kind that Stracci showed.
I think one can get a strand of untreated for 3k, but they definitely go for a lot more too. Depends on color, size, graduation etc.
The products on the site look beautiful and natural. The matrix and flaws are consistent with much of the Persian turquoise which I’ve seen. One cannot see treatment or stabilization with pics alone. Would they be willing to accept returns and refund contingent on the confirmation of natural via a reputable lab report?

Thank you for the explanation and your input on the items on their website... that helps alot! So much to learn with turquoise. Now I need to know for sure what this company does, so I am going to ask! I just remember her saying it's natural, a strand like this unique, blah blah blah... but I will ask again to be sure. Now I am going to be obsessed about this strand until next year's show. :(2

Sorry to keep bothering you, but you have a wealth of knowledge! Last question.. I promise... do you know about Tiffany Turquoise? I have the ring, necklace (shown above), and also the dot earrings. All the Tiffany stones looks natural and "dull", not "shiny" (e.g. coated with clear fingernail polish shiny). I hope that made sense. My Sleeping Beauty turquoise looked shiny like that which I did not like. Tiffany said it was lightly stabilized for durability which I really don't care as I do like their pieces. I was just wondering if you had any thoughts on Tiffany turquoise or know anything about them.

Thanks again for all your help and sorry for all the questions.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results