shape
carat
color
clarity

Show me your turquoise jewelry!

Thank you for the reassurance @Autumn in New England & @stracci2000 !! I am loving both of them for different reasons - good to know they are both NA with American stones!

@Autumn in New England it’s funny - my husband prefers the smaller one as well! I think it will get more use as it’s much lighter (60g vs 220g). Thank you for sharing your squash blossoms! They are incredibly beautiful!! I am in love with the green stones and would love a piece with similar colors! Uhoh the addiction has set in :lol:

@stracci2000 so happy you like them, here are some neck shots:
IMG_6993.jpeg
IMG_6999.jpeg

To show the difference in size:
IMG_7001.jpeg

I'm just a sucker for those high blues!! Both lovely... and they look fantastic on you. Congrats and enjoy!! :dance:

Here are a few turquoise rings that I made recently.
Go big or go home, right? Haha

I think I showed this first one in another thread. I don't know the origin of this stone.
2a3f3c90a47c7311eb543de173176bbe3fbfb1b4_2_750x1000.jpeg

This is #8 turquoise
dca0ef8333e8c0f99cd9a44b80320d7c5bc21fcc_2_750x1000 (1).jpeg

3275f3742f5ce5ab945d708ad78c7e500a982b48_2_1380x878 (1).jpeg

Left: Kingman turquoise
Right: Fox turquoise.
68b7ae595055f9bd1dd43198bd7f9a42d5b81601_2_750x1000.jpeg

This one is waterweb Bisbee
b3f8a436c13b6f91f2cc18153c493c0c02cebbe9_2_750x1000.jpeg

They're all gorgeous, of course, but that kingman one on the left is calling to me!! You outdid yourself with that one... I'd buy it today. :kiss2:

Thanks @Autumn in New England!
I've been wearing that one almost every day since I made it.
I made it with an adjustable shank because my knuckles swell from arthritis.
This way, I can change the size a bit if I have to.
1695b78750d1be14ec688d70a7c71206a80013b8_2_1380x924.jpeg

The Bisbee ring has an adjustable shank, too. These work so well, I'll probably never make a fixed shank again.
7ec92b51965e957395bff96d5e6f27edb95ff8f5_2_792x1000 (1).jpeg

I think I showed this first one in another thread. I don't know the origin of this stone.

This is #8 turquoise

i naturally adore them all

After 6 months of "behaving", I caved today with this impulse purchase.

I've always found this vendor to be honest but he does not specialize in turquoise. He said it was a piece of Kingman turquoise that he had cut/polished about 40 years ago and was sitting in his inventory...so didn't factor it into the cost. (The price was fair for 18k gold/diamonds/craftmanship alone).

But old habits die hard, and once I got it home...curiosity got the best of me so of course my research bought me here. I fell in love with the intense color and polish - but knowing most turquoise is treated, it's "gemmy"ness did give me pause for concern. (Although I am telling myself, I didn't really pay for the turquoise so to just enjoy it).

pendant_turquoise_diamonds_18k_front.jpgpendant_turquoise_diamonds_18k_back.jpg

Last edited:

I've always found this vendor to be honest but he does not specialize in turquoise. He said it was a piece of Kingman turquoise that he had cut/polished about 40 years ago and was sitting in his inventory...so didn't factor it into the cost. (The price was fair for 18k gold/diamonds/craftmanship alone).

But old habits die hard, and once I got it home...curiosity got the best of me so of course my research bought me here. I fell in love with the intense color and polish - but knowing most turquoise is treated, it's "gemmy"ness did give me pause for concern. (Although I am telling myself, I didn't really pay for the turquoise so to just enjoy it).

I know you're a gemstone veteran, but I don't know how much of a turq collector you are, so forgive me if I'm rehashing basics you already know. :)

Some turq is so hard right out of the ground, it requires no treatment. This is rare. Most turq is soft and porous, so it requires impregnation with colorless resin (or it's treated via the proprietary Zachary method, which uses electricity to harden the material). Otherwise, it can absorb skin oils, lotions, perfumes, and even moisture in the air, and eventually discolor (turn green or brown).

I own all of the above... and I've come to really value the treated stones. If this cab is indeed stabilized, you need never worry about it discoloring over time, and its durability is greatly improved. The turq community does not look down on stabilized turq... we only frown upon artificial color enhancement or composite material.

That all being said, this pendant is gorgeous!!!!!!!! And it's very common for the back to show some matrix. I'll be darned if that doesn't look like high-grade Persian or sleeping beauty. But kingman can indeed be very blue and very clean. Congrats and enjoy your new pretty!!

I know you're a gemstone veteran, but I don't know how much of a turq collector you are, so forgive me if I'm rehashing basics you already know. :)

Some turq is so hard right out of the ground, it requires no treatment. This is rare. Most turq is soft and porous, so it requires impregnation with colorless resin (or it's treated via the proprietary Zachary method, which uses electricity to harden the material). Otherwise, it can absorb skin oils, lotions, perfumes, and even moisture in the air, and eventually discolor (turn green or brown).

I own all of the above... and I've come to really value the treated stones. If this cab is indeed stabilized, you need never worry about it discoloring over time, and its durability is greatly improved. The turq community does not look down on stabilized turq... we only frown upon artificial color enhancement or composite material.

That all being said, this pendant is gorgeous!!!!!!!! And it's very common for the back to show some matrix. I'll be darned if that doesn't look like high-grade Persian or sleeping beauty. But kingman can indeed be very blue and very clean. Congrats and enjoy your new pretty!!

What I know about turquoise was from skimming this thread...so I was hoping you would chime in. So thank you so much for the nice words and taking the time to educate!

Admittedly, very relieved to know that there does not appear to be anything the gem community would find unacceptable about this piece of turquoise. (I had to ask myself when posting, if I really wanted to know something that might take away my enjoyment)

This is really beautiful! The diamonds and gold are just perfect with that delicious blue!

This is really beautiful! The diamonds and gold are just perfect with that delicious blue!

Thank you! I wasn't looking to buy but it jumped out at me...and when he gave me a decent price, I couldn't resist.

I've been admiring the pieces you made :kiss2: I took a metals class once but realizing the time/investment needed, never got around taking it further. I wish I had your talen.t

Thank you! I wasn't looking to buy but it jumped out at me...and when he gave me a decent price, I couldn't resist.

I've been admiring the pieces you made :kiss2: I took a metals class once but realizing the time/investment needed, never got around taking it further. I wish I had your talen.t

Same! I took an entire jewelry making/designing/soldering course at RISD one fall. I realized I'm much better at buying it. :lol: We need the @stracci2000's of the world to create the magic for us.

What I know about turquoise was from skimming this thread...so I was hoping you would chime in. So thank you so much for the nice words and taking the time to educate!

Admittedly, very relieved to know that there does not appear to be anything the gem community would find unacceptable about this piece of turquoise. (I had to ask myself when posting, if I really wanted to know something that might take away my enjoyment)

You are hereby authorized to enjoy that beauty!
cheerleader1.gif

Same! I took an entire jewelry making/designing/soldering course at RISD one fall. I realized I'm much better at buying it. :lol: We need the @stracci2000's of the world to create the magic for us.

I still pull up your mixed turquoise necklace sometimes for inspiration!
That one really is magic!

Thank you!
Many years ago, I decided that I wasn't happy just buying jewelry,that I had to make it myself.
I never took any formal classes at all.
Just a 3 hour crash course with a gracious lady silversmith.

This is #8 turquoise

All are gorgeous!

GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP

Featured Topics