shape
carat
color
clarity

#JOTW Show me your Luxury Watches!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just discovered this watch looking at black ceramic watches.
Jaeger-LeCoultre 189LC70
Was this model any good? @Dancing Fire
Help me find an excellent condition one if it's as good as the typical JLC made products.
PB
Not many people heard of JLC. IMO, They are very underrated, best bang for the buck.They are the few true manufacturers of high end watches. Keep your eyes open on this site. David is an ex dealer with fair prices.
https://davidsw.com/

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
PB
Not many people heard of JLC. IMO, They are very underrated, best bang for the buck.They are the few true manufacturers of high end watches. Keep your eyes open on this site. David is an ex dealer with fair prices.
https://davidsw.com/
Is Chrono24 reputable? I ask because I found a local seller of that watch through that site. They said they use GAI appraisers to authenticate the watches. Is that enough?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Last edited:

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some good some bad. since this watch has a crystal clear back it is pretty much easy to tell from fakes. Keep in mind that most JLC watches will sell for about 30% off MSRP at AD.
This one?
http://www.chrono24.com/jaegerlecou...mt-lady-18k-rose-gold-diamonds--id6564824.htm
Yup that's the one. They said they'll look for options to present to me and see if they can get even new in box or with box and papers. This is an old discontinued model it looks like. Is GAI good enough for authentication though?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yup that's the one. They said they'll look for options to present to me and see if they can get even new in box or with box and papers. This is an old discontinued model it looks like. Is GAI good enough for authentication though?
The GAI paper means 0 . This is a pre-owned watch and looks real from what I can see from the pics. They have a brand new one with box and papers?

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The GAI paper means 0 . This is a pre-owned watch and looks real from what I can see from the pics. They have a brand new one with box and papers?
They will search for options for me they said... present them all...

Where would I take the watch to authenticate? An independent appraiser like I would for diamonds?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They will search for options for me they said... present them all...

Where would I take the watch to authenticate? An independent appraiser like I would for diamonds?
An authorized JLC dealer or a watchmaker. They should able to tell you within 10 seconds by looking at the movement

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
An authorized JLC dealer or a watchmaker. They should able to tell you within 10 seconds by looking at the movement
I called London Jewelers, an authorized dealer and they said they won't authenticate and to call JLC and ask if the Madison Ave JLC store will do it. JLC said their Madison Ave store does not offer this service of authenticating.

And the GAI report you said is worthless?

I'm kinda not sure where to go next if I can get my hands on the ceramic watch in NYC for authentication purposes...

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
My only watch lol A Bertolucci diamond and mother of pearl. Love it but they are not common

IMG_0638.jpg

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm kinda not sure where to go next if I can get my hands on the ceramic watch in NYC for authentication purposes...
Check how much off MSRP an AD will offer you.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Check how much off MSRP an AD will offer you.
According to JLC they released the watch in 2010 and that's it. They are checking with Switzerland if they still have any in stock but right now no dealers in the US will have a new one.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The website Chrono24 is like eBay but just for watches. Does this watch have the original box and paperwork? This is one way to judge authenticity, the replicas don’t have the right boxes or paperwork. Unfortunately there are some really excellent replicas out there these days, even experts have trouble picking them. And as for JLC, ask the seller to send it to them for a service. JLC don’t “authenticate” as such, but they sure as hell won’t service a replica!

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The website Chrono24 is like eBay but just for watches. Does this watch have the original box and paperwork? This is one way to judge authenticity, the replicas don’t have the right boxes or paperwork. Unfortunately there are some really excellent replicas out there these days, even experts have trouble picking them. And as for JLC, ask the seller to send it to them for a service. JLC don’t “authenticate” as such, but they sure as hell won’t service a replica!
Thank you for the explanation! The first store I engaged stated they would get back to me and present options to me. I called back 2 weeks later and was told they'd be reaching out to me but got nothing... I called today and the guy remembered me and said someone had put a deposit on that watch and he had tried calling me but clearly had a wrong number. IIRC this watch didn't have a box andpapers... Just a GAI appraisal.

Two weeks ago, I called a different authorized seller and spoke with George (@Dancing Fire referral for me when I bought my first JLC), told him I was a return customer from 2012, and I'm looking for this discontinued watch. He said no problem he'd be on it. 2 weeks went by so I called and left a message 2 days in a row early this week and was told I'd get a call back but never did.

Anyone got a vendor to recommend who hunts down watches with the birth certificate and bassinet/cradle/bucket that babies get packaged in?:eek-2:

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Back again. I’ve looked at the watch and seller. The seller is a “bricks and mortar” store and they have sold 29 watches through Chrono24. The system with Chrono24 is that they don’t release the money to the seller until you receive it. You can even go to NY and see the watch beforehand in their shop. They say all watches are guaranteed authentic and the benefit of a bricks and mortar store in NY is they know both you (and the fraud squad) can find them. On that basis, and I buy secondhand watches from all different sources as a passion and a hobby, you would be safe. A simple visit to a JLC store to submit for a service will tell you pretty fast if it isn’t the real deal.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And last time back again. There is one for sale on eBay US for $5,800 or best offer. The store selling it only sells high quality watches, feedback 100% and previous high value sales (so not “fly by night” operators). Again no box or papers but the very high resolution photos are very good. Now, could this be the same watch on Chronos24? I wonder, but this seller is in Miami Florida. I know lots of people think eBay is rubbish, but I’ve been buying very happily for over 13 years with virtually no problem. And I buy from Australia! It is safer for buyers than sellers incidentally, and if you are desiring this particular model (out of production) your buying venues are limited to the secondhand market ie eBay. Worth a look?

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Back again. I’ve looked at the watch and seller. The seller is a “bricks and mortar” store and they have sold 29 watches through Chrono24. The system with Chrono24 is that they don’t release the money to the seller until you receive it. You can even go to NY and see the watch beforehand in their shop. They say all watches are guaranteed authentic and the benefit of a bricks and mortar store in NY is they know both you (and the fraud squad) can find them. On that basis, and I buy secondhand watches from all different sources as a passion and a hobby, you would be safe. A simple visit to a JLC store to submit for a service will tell you pretty fast if it isn’t the real deal.
I went to the store actually and they explained that the watch was in their other location.

One step at a time PB... One step... Lolol...

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Two weeks ago, I called a different authorized seller and spoke with George (@Dancing Fire referral for me when I bought my first JLC), told him I was a return customer from 2012, and I'm looking for this discontinued watch. He said no problem he'd be on it. 2 weeks went by so I called and left a message 2 days in a row early this week and was told I'd get a call back but never did.
George is a good guy. Let me check if there is one for sale on watch forums.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So happy this thread exists! Anyone have recommendations for nice watches that don't quite meet the "luxury" price cut-off? I'm trying to find a special xmas/bday present for DH, but am not comfortable spending more than 1K (and he would be appalled to know I'm even spending that much on a gift for him!) Thanks!

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
37E20065-B86D-4500-9332-0F2A259CB989.jpeg 1987 Oyster Perpetual datejust 36mm. This was my dads now it is my sons but I have been known to wear it once in a while....do you think it is too big for my wrist?

It was your Dad's. Its perfect. =)2

Aside from the sentimental value, which I think is wonderful, it really does look good on you.
Wear it in good health.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, I wasn't sure if it look ridiculous on me....I like on me ::)

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, I wasn't sure if it look ridiculous on me....I like on me ::)
It looks big and bold in a good way! I love it with the black shirt sleeve. Just very sleek and sophisticated

Allisonfaye

Brilliant_Rock
I have been thinking of getting a Cartier Tank Francaise but I can't decide between the all stainless or the two tone. Is the two tone trendy?

CareBear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
37E20065-B86D-4500-9332-0F2A259CB989.jpeg 1987 Oyster Perpetual datejust 36mm. This was my dads now it is my sons but I have been known to wear it once in a while....do you think it is too big for my wrist?

You ROCK it! Me loves.....:appl:

cheers--Sharon

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have been thinking of getting a Cartier Tank Francaise but I can't decide between the all stainless or the two tone. Is the two tone trendy?
I don't find the two tone trendy. I think the right watch will look and feel "organic" on you, if that makes sense.

I liked two tone on me, especially after my husband and I got together cuz, ummm we're white and yellow :whistle:. I got a two tone Michele watch and my e-ring is a yellow diamond surrounded by a white halo. I said that it was him hugging me.

I've never been into rose gold but since becoming a widow I've gravitated to it, maybe bc my husband was so pale that he was always pink. It currently feels natural on me lol. (And my summer pedicures - as someone who normally picks bright fun colors, my pedicures since becoming a widow have been very dark shades of gray, blue, purple, red and green.)

So, go with what feels natural...

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I wouldn't say trendy, but while a two tone has the advantage of helping one wear two metal colors in other jewelry pieces, it might not look as good if you wanted to wear rose gold and the watch was stainless and yg. I like the all stainless in the TF, personally. I wouldn't mind having a two tone (white and rose gold) Rolex, though. I like the solid gold watches better than two tone, but that won't ever happen! Depends on how many watches you intend to have! I don't think I'd want my main watch to be two tone.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I struggled with this too! IMO two tone isn’t trendy - maybe all stainless is a little more classic looking? Idk. My husband loved the 2 tone. I tried it on, it is truly beautiful - the gold is a soft shade of yellow and kind of subtle, it was SO pretty. In the end I decided to just keep it simple and went with all white. You can’t go wrong with either though. I am excited for you - I am loving my TF!

Allisonfaye

Brilliant_Rock
I struggled with this too! IMO two tone isn’t trendy - maybe all stainless is a little more classic looking? Idk. My husband loved the 2 tone. I tried it on, it is truly beautiful - the gold is a soft shade of yellow and kind of subtle, it was SO pretty. In the end I decided to just keep it simple and went with all white. You can’t go wrong with either though. I am excited for you - I am loving my TF!
I don't find the two tone trendy. I think the right watch will look and feel "organic" on you, if that makes sense.

I liked two tone on me, especially after my husband and I got together cuz, ummm we're white and yellow :whistle:. I got a two tone Michele watch and my e-ring is a yellow diamond surrounded by a white halo. I said that it was him hugging me.

I've never been into rose gold but since becoming a widow I've gravitated to it, maybe bc my husband was so pale that he was always pink. It currently feels natural on me lol. (And my summer pedicures - as someone who normally picks bright fun colors, my pedicures since becoming a widow have been very dark shades of gray, blue, purple, red and green.)

So, go with what feels natural...

I wouldn't say trendy, but while a two tone has the advantage of helping one wear two metal colors in other jewelry pieces, it might not look as good if you wanted to wear rose gold and the watch was stainless and yg. I like the all stainless in the TF, personally. I wouldn't mind having a two tone (white and rose gold) Rolex, though. I like the solid gold watches better than two tone, but that won't ever happen! Depends on how many watches you intend to have! I don't think I'd want my main watch to be two tone.

Ok, I bought the two tone and brought it home. I thought about it over the weekend and returned it and bought the ss. I thought it was more classic and easier to wear casually. Plus it cost less and with a diamond upgrade in the works, I didn't love it that much more to pay the difference.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results