shape
carat
color
clarity

Show Me Your Diamond Studs!

zhuzhu

Ideal_Rock
If you want to share info on your budget with us, we can all "shop around" for you to get the bigest/best studs for your buck!!

Date: 12/30/2006 4:22:07 PM
Author: blinkydoll
35.gif
hi !

I Love all your studs!!!
30.gif
30.gif

I bought a pair from----
40.gif
a store in the malll... in was one of those two day sale thingys with an extra %..then another% blah blah... nywho--- they are 1cttw set in kinda a high
40.gif
basket setting in plat.

i think i will return them... but i will post some pics today--to get your opinions...

the thing is-- i like the size--for my ears--- but the sparkle is in slow motion
24.gif

My Fi
1.gif
says we should wait and i could get some really nice ones for a better store.. prob around .75cttw-----

but this will prob be next year
32.gif
hehe--- i guess something to look foward tooo?

We don''t have lots of $$ to spend on these---- does anyone have suggestions on affordable studs around under 1cttw to above .50cttw?

thanks!

i will post some pics later

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI, Blinky! I''d really recommend starting with individually chosen stones from WF since they usually have a good selection of well-matched stones, and then you can always upgrade them later to a larger size if you wish.

blinkydoll

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/30/2006 4:41:54 PM
Author: zhuzhu
If you want to share info on your budget with us, we can all ''shop around'' for you to get the bigest/best studs for your buck!!

35.gif
hi !

I Love all your studs!!!
30.gif
30.gif

I bought a pair from----
40.gif
a store in the malll... in was one of those two day sale thingys with an extra %..then another% blah blah... nywho--- they are 1cttw set in kinda a high
40.gif
basket setting in plat.

i think i will return them... but i will post some pics today--to get your opinions...

the thing is-- i like the size--for my ears--- but the sparkle is in slow motion
24.gif

My Fi
1.gif
says we should wait and i could get some really nice ones for a better store.. prob around .75cttw-----

32.gif

We don''t have lots of $$ to spend on these---- does anyone have suggestions on affordable studs around under 1cttw to above .50cttw?

thanks!

hi tHANKS SO much--you guys are soo nice!
I asked the Fi and he said around $700 to $800
(and with maybe a possible payment plan--- like6 months?) he said-- "no worries ab the payment plan"---- but it would be cool to see if one was available= makes me feel better when payments are broken up
2.gif

I was hoping to get the most bang for the buck--- but definatly keep a good fire about them.
We had a pair on layaway at a store they had really nice fire etc.. but everytime i tried them on --i felt they looked way to small for my ears. those were .50cttw. i tried on some the other day --they were very nice-- martini setting .75ctw--- and the size was a wee bit smaller than the 1cttw ones they had. they even sparkled in the dark! that place wanted
40.gif
$1200. i think? but they offered 6 months layaway.. and that was NH so Tax free also.
I have looked on whiteflash--- i figed they wouldn''t have anything of size in our $ range
7.gif

I would feel bad if my Fi payed that much-- so i would prob help with payments anywho.
26.gif

Thanks again for your help!
36.gif

HooCares

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/31/2006 2:23:16 PM

Date: 12/30/2006 4:41:54 PM
Author: zhuzhu
If you want to share info on your budget with us, we can all ''shop around'' for you to get the bigest/best studs for your buck!!

35.gif
hi !

I Love all your studs!!!
30.gif
30.gif

I bought a pair from----
40.gif
40.gif
basket setting in plat.

24.gif

My Fi
1.gif

32.gif

thanks!

hi tHANKS SO much--you guys are soo nice!
I asked the Fi and he said around $700 to $800
(and with maybe a possible payment plan--- like6 months?) he said-- ''no worries ab the payment plan''---- but it would be cool to see if one was available= makes me feel better when payments are broken up
2.gif

I was hoping to get the most bang for the buck--- but definatly keep a good fire about them.
We had a pair on layaway at a store they had really nice fire etc.. but everytime i tried them on --i felt they looked way to small for my ears. those were .50cttw. i tried on some the other day --they were very nice-- martini setting .75ctw--- and the size was a wee bit smaller than the 1cttw ones they had. they even sparkled in the dark! that place wanted
40.gif
$1200. i think? but they offered 6 months layaway.. and that was NH so Tax free also.
I have looked on whiteflash--- i figed they wouldn''t have anything of size in our $ range
7.gif

I would feel bad if my Fi payed that much-- so i would prob help with payments anywho.
26.gif

Thanks again for your help!
36.gif
Hi Blinky,

I like Diamondseeker''s idea of starting with something smaller and then upgrading. I''ve been looking around some of the sites and I can''t find .75ctw within your budget.
8.gif
The closest I can find is WF 4 prong white gold earrings with .70 ctw I, SI for $935. James Allen has a 3 prong basket setting in white gold with .60 ctw, H-I, SI for $925. Or if you are not for sure on a certain setting, you might want to consider a bezel setting because I think they tend to make stones look larger. Blue Nile has a bezel setting in 18KT white gold with .50 ctw, H-I, SI for $625, and that would be well within your budget. Good Luck!

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/27/2006 2:21:20 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
Wow, I missed Kaleigh''s additions to this thread!
30.gif
Glad I checked in!

Here are my new .70 each H VS AGS0 stones from Good Old Gold.....(diameter 5.7mm)

These look just GREAT to me.
36.gif
I think you were very smart to take your time. How do you feel about this size with your new ering size? Are they about right? Do you feel proportional or do you think about that kind of thing? I''m wondering cause I think we are size twins although my anniversary ring is a cushion not a RB.

blinkydoll

Brilliant_Rock
here are my ears with the .50cttw ones that i will be returning.
i will post my aquamarine ones later for size comparison--- those are too big at 7mm
1.gif

DiamondyuckReturns.jpg

blinkydoll

Brilliant_Rock
[/Quote] I like Diamondseeker's idea of starting with something smaller and then upgrading. I've been looking around some of the sites and I can't find .75ctw within your budget.
8.gif
The closest I can find is WF 4 prong white gold earrings with .70 ctw I, SI for $935. James Allen has a 3 prong basket setting in white gold with .60 ctw, H-I, SI for $925. Or if you are not for sure on a certain setting, you might want to consider a bezel setting because I think they tend to make stones look larger. Blue Nile has a bezel setting in 18KT white gold with .50 ctw, H-I, SI for $625, and that would be well within your budget. Good Luck![/quote]

thanks fore taking the time to look for me :)
1.gif

i guess i will wait -- and i will keep looking
i saw these at the store--- maybe they could reset them--- also in may --they will be doing 40% off the list price for one day

DeScenza-Earings .50cttw

blinkydoll

Brilliant_Rock
.60cttw studs

these are $850
and in May they will be $765.00 i think
26.gif

these will be $1194.00 in May
.83 cttw diamond studs
the ones i saw at longs jewelers---were nicer--- but maybe when they do thier wedding expo this summer--- i could snag a deal? they do a % off everything.
31.gif

blinkydoll

Brilliant_Rock
7mm Aquamarine studs in WG

Aquaear7mm.jpg

blinkydoll

Brilliant_Rock
Same ones in the sun
1.gif

aquamarinesunlight.jpg

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Here are my diamond studs that DH gave me for Christmas
9.gif

They are both ACA J SI1 stones, .80tcw, in WG martini screw back prongs:

IMG_1795a.jpg

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/31/2006 5:57:42 PM
Author: Rascal49
9.gif

Yowza, those are gorgeous!!!!
30.gif
30.gif

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Lisa
1.gif
Hubby did a good job taking into consideration I didn''t help him at all!

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
BlinkyDoll, I had the same requirements and budget and I got GIA certed 0.72ctw K SI1-2 studs that spread more like 0.80ctw studs for $831 in October. They both scored 2 and under on the HCA and are really white and eye-clean, and they have some semblance of arrows. So it can be done, but you''ll probably be under 3/4 ctw. Look more at the diameters of the diamonds than at the actual size when you''re looking for your pair, and you can get more bang for your buck.

Personally, I''d be nervous to order a generic pair of diamonds without being able to make sure they are well matched and you like the cut. I''d rather have 0.60ctw studs that I know have a good cut than 0.75ctw studs that may be deep and look no bigger than the smaller pair.

Here''s the kind of diamond I''d get:

0.30 J SI2 for $316 It spreads bigger because it has a depth under 60% and yet it still scores 1.7 on the HCA.

Maybe not a perfect match, but here''s a 0.31 K VS2 for $326 with a similar cut and scoring 2.0 on the HCA. They''ll look more like 0.35 stones with their spreads.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/31/2006 3:35:38 PM
Author: Stone Hunter

Date: 12/27/2006 2:21:20 PM
Wow, I missed Kaleigh''s additions to this thread!
30.gif
Glad I checked in!

Here are my new .70 each H VS AGS0 stones from Good Old Gold.....(diameter 5.7mm)

These look just GREAT to me.
36.gif
I think you were very smart to take your time. How do you feel about this size with your new ering size? Are they about right? Do you feel proportional or do you think about that kind of thing? I''m wondering cause I think we are size twins although my anniversary ring is a cushion not a RB.
Stone Hunter, I had set in my mind that I really wanted .75 each because my old ones were that size and I did think they were proportional with the diamond ring. So yes, I am OCD about that kind of thing! But the odd problem was, none of the three vendors who had a good selection ever had two matching .75 H VS2''s all fall. I finally settled on the ones I showed above, but I am really feeling like it was not a mistake to hold out for the perfect pair. Naturally I have found some right after Christmas. So I am planning to send for them and compare, and I''ll likely keep the .75''s even though they won''t be much larger. It''s just a mental thing that I wanted the 1.5 ctw. And I could tell that the .70''s were a little smaller than my old pair of not-so-great diamonds! Proportionally I like the earring stones to each be about half the size of the e-ring stone.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/31/2006 5:57:42 PM
9.gif

Yay, Michelle! I LOVE them! How do you like the martini''s?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Blinky, I''ve made some mistakes regarding jewelry in the past. So the one bit of advice I''d give someone young is to wait, save your money, and get some nice ones that can be upgraded later. I bought mediocre diamond studs about 3 years before PS (and had smaller ones before those), and once I learned about diamond quality, I just didn''t want those anymore. They couldn''t be traded in, so I sold them to a family member at a loss. So now I am getting my ideal pair, but I would have been so much better off if that original money had been spent on nice stones at WF, GOG, etc. who have good upgrade policies. Some like Michelle''s would be exactly what I''m thinking of!!!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

So, is the martini setting the way to go?? They have been recommended to me, but I don''t know anyone who has these settings, and can give me the low down. Inquiring minds must know
2.gif

cheers--Sharon

sdm

Rough_Rock
I love my diamond stud earrings and love seeing yours.
Mine are from Good Old Gold: .67 ctw, G, SI1, ideal hearts and arrows in a white gold martini setting.
I like the three prong setting. I looked at a 4 prong setting, but it made the stones look more like a square than round shape.
Even though the stones are not that big, I think the martini setting helps keep the earrings from falling forward.

SDM_diamond.jpg

sdm

Rough_Rock
Here''s another view. The earring on my ear looks as if it is set in yellow instead of white gold.

earrings_both.JPG

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/31/2006 6:43:04 PM
Author: canuk-gal
HI:

So, is the martini setting the way to go?? They have been recommended to me, but I don''t know anyone who has these settings, and can give me the low down. Inquiring minds must know
2.gif

cheers--Sharon
I am still wavering on that, Sharon. For some reason, even numbers seem more appealing to me, but lots of people here are getting the 3 prong earrings.

SDM, very pretty earrings!!!

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/31/2006 8:08:30 PM

HI:

2.gif

cheers--Sharon
I am still wavering on that, Sharon. For some reason, even numbers seem more appealing to me, but lots of people here are getting the 3 prong earrings.

Diamondseeker and Canuk-gal, I LOVE the martini settings!! The earrings sit much closer to my ear, so no drooping at all (although let''s be honest, that probably isn''t a problem with my size studs, but still!). I compared mine to my SIL''s in four prong baskets and hers just sit so far away from her ear. She had never heard of the martini setting and now is totally in love with them
2.gif
Plus to me, I like seeing as little metal as possible.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/1/2007 11:28:36 AM

Date: 12/31/2006 8:08:30 PM

Author:

Diamondseeker and Canuk-gal, I LOVE the martini settings!! The earrings sit much closer to my ear, so no drooping at all (although let''s be honest, that probably isn''t a problem with my size studs, but still!). I compared mine to my SIL''s in four prong baskets and hers just sit so far away from her ear. She had never heard of the martini setting and now is totally in love with them
2.gif
Plus to me, I like seeing as little metal as possible.
HI:

Thanks DS and Rascal49. Any other opinions?

Also, at what (diamond) size to you think they may start to droop? Can this not be countered with wearing a larger "back"?

cheers--Sharon

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
Hi Sharon,

I went with martini settings on my 1.2cttw studs, and love them. Now that I've had both, I would never consider a basket setting just because it sits too high on the ear. I helped a friend find studs that are 1.5cttw, and she went with the martini setting also and loves it. I thought she would go with the more traditional basket setting (not being a PSer and all...), but the vendor recommended that martini settings, and she loves them.

I consider them the "minimilist" setting. The least amount of setting possible shows, so if that is your desired look, that's how I would go. I think I remember someone having a 4 prong martini-style setting made a while back. There is no reason why they couldn't do that if you prefer the 4 prong look.

HooCares

Shiny_Rock
I like the martini setting, but I have never had the basket setting so I can''t really compare. The martinis really do settle into your ear so all you see is the diamond, which is nice. I almost wish that the setting was a little more obvious when viewed on the side, since I think the martini is a cool setting. But the way it nestles in my ear lobe, I don''t think it''s easy to see.

*Here''s a question I''ve been wondering about...for those of you with friction back studs, do you wear the backs on the groove or do you wear the backs closer to the lobe??? I like the look of the martinis better when I wear the backs on the groove, but it makes me a little worried that they could fall off easier. What do the rest of you do?*

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/1/2007 12:33:48 PM
HI:

Also, at what (diamond) size to you think they may start to droop? Can this not be countered with wearing a larger ''back''?

cheers--Sharon
Sharon, I''m just not sure why people have a drooping problem unless they have really huge studs! My last pair of .75 each sat nicely on my earlobe with no drooping at all in a low 4 prong basket. The basket settings have a base which allow them to sit flat against the earlobe. It seems like they would droop less than the martinit''s to me, unless of course the baskets are very high or something. I think the key for a basket is for the stones to be set low, which eliminates any possibility of drooping. I have read somewhere that baskets do allow the stones to be seen better from other angles as opposed to the martini''s which are nestled into your earlobe. But with everything, people have preferences based on personal taste. Unfortunately, it isn''t convenient to borrow martini settings to wear awhile to decide! I may just go with low set baskets myself, because I do like 4 prongs. And yes, the larger backs are more comfortable to me and keep the diamonds from drooping as well.

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/1/2007 2:54:27 PM

Date: 1/1/2007 12:33:48 PM
HI:

Also, at what (diamond) size to you think they may start to droop? Can this not be countered with wearing a larger ''back''?

cheers--Sharon
Sharon, I''m just not sure why people have a drooping problem unless they have really huge studs! My last pair of .75 each sat nicely on my earlobe with no drooping at all in a low 4 prong basket. The basket settings have a base which allow them to sit flat against the earlobe. It seems like they would droop less than the martinit''s to me, unless of course the baskets are very high or something. I think the key for a basket is for the stones to be set low, which eliminates any possibility of drooping. I have read somewhere that baskets do allow the stones to be seen better from other angles as opposed to the martini''s which are nestled into your earlobe. But with everything, people have preferences based on personal taste. Unfortunately, it isn''t convenient to borrow martini settings to wear awhile to decide! I may just go with low set baskets myself, because I do like 4 prongs. And yes, the larger backs are more comfortable to me and keep the diamonds from drooping as well.
My biggest concern about basket settings is that they are so high up off your ear. If I could get the lowest basket setting possible, then I wouldn''t mind as much.
1.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know exactly what you mean, Michelle, because I have seen them both ways. It is really important to ask if the baskets set the diamond low (if you can''t see them in person).

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Good points, gals. While shopping for my washer and drier the other day, we ran into a couple we knew, and her earrings (I would approximate) were 1.5 c. each. Set in baskets. They looked lovely, but were tilting inward...yes I looked! But, of course, it might have to do with the way her lobes are/ears are pearced, and not necessarily the settings. Had no time to ask her about her settings...as the sales guy returned with our receipts, etc......

Hope Sundial chimes in with her opinion, as she has some lovely martini''s, also.

cheers--Sharon

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
HI:

2.gif

cheers--Sharon
I have them, after owning a pair that was basket set, which would droop if I didn''t push them in far enough, which then almost made part of the basket disappear. And they were smaller than the set I have now, which are .58 each.

I adore the martinis. They just make the diamond look like it''s floating on your ear. I totally recommend them.

And for HooCares question, I wear the back closer to my earlobe, not in the groove. But I wouldn''t worry, that''s why the groove is there, to keep it from coming apart. I''ve worn them to bed before, and not lost one.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results