shape
carat
color
clarity

my new 0.72ctw K SI1 studs

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
ETA: Oops, I didn't mean to type "SI1" in the title. One is SI1; the other is SI2.

The last few months have seen my love of diamonds go from fantasy to reality. First, after a bit of a husband-related debacle, I got a new diamond wedding band in August to replace my plain band. It seems, however, that you really can teach an old dog new tricks.

One night at dinner I tried to explain why I love diamonds so much to DH. I explained how I always loved gems as a little girl and how both of my grandmothers, now deceased, are connected to my interest in them. Then I told him how much I enjoy scouring the PS listings and using the HCA to calculate light return. I am always looking for a, sorry for the lame pun, diamond in the rough . . . something that is just low enough in color and clarity and perhaps even cut (at first glance) to make it really affordable. Somehow that seemed to make sense to DH, that I enjoyed the idea of the hunt as much as the ability to wear the jewelry.

I began making Wish Lists at various sites, with DH seeming amenable to logging in and picking things out off of them for presents (the last time he picked out a diamond for me, he proudly announced that it was a special diamond known as "champagne"). And then as I was making it a hobby to keep my lists updated, I realized that this pair of diamonds I had found was just what I was always looking for. And even though I didn't really have an excuse to buy them now (anniversary is six weeks away), I suddenly became desperate at the thought that somebody else would buy them. I was afraid to post about them lest others think the same thing I had thought: "Whoa, these diamonds will look so big and sparkly and are super cheap! I have no choice but to buy them!"

So anyway . . . on to the diamonds.

Diamond #1
0.36 K SI1 for $357
4.64-4.70x2.72
depth 58.2%
table 60%
crown 33
pavilion 40.2
HCA 2.0 gd, ex, ex, ex
GIA cut grade: very good
Diamond #2
0.36 K SI2 for $324
4.63-4.68x2.76
depth 59.3%
table 61%
crown 33
pavilion 40.8
HCA 1.7 vg, ex, vg, ex
GIA cut grade: very good

So I told DH that I really wanted them for our anniversary/Christmas and was afraid that they'd be bought before then, so how about I get them now? They were (and still are) listed through several vendors, but I went with the least expensive (Mondera) and had them set in 18Kyg screwbacks for $831 total. Ordering was not the smoothest process. The website said the order wasn't processed and that we would have to call, so DH called in the order in the morning. The representative had to switch computers and call him back to place the order. Then they called and left a message on our home phone with an out-of-order, long-distance number for us to call back. They also sent me an email telling me that surely I realized that they couldn't hold the diamonds for me without payment and that they hoped to resolve the "credit issue" ASAP. That really blew me over the top, so I wrote back a nasty email about how we had been trying our darndest to give them our credit card and that it wasn't our fault that their website and phone number didn't work. Finally the card was confirmed and the diamonds were set on Monday, shipped on Tuesday, and arrived yesterday.

And I love them!!! They both have arrows, although one is more uniform than the other. They look huge to me (will shrinkage set in? I hope not!). I also had my eye on the 0.392 and 0.397 J SI1 ACA's, but they would have been nearly double the price. These stones spread nearly as large, are only color grade lower, and ended up having arrows (although obviously not the exquisite exactitude) to a degree anyway. I really feel like I found my perfect pair!

OK, pictures:

1studsoct26.jpg

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
Ear shot . . .

2studsoct26.jpg

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
Next to my 1.14ct e-ring (Note how when it was resized, the "e" in "Vatche" was cut off. I feel like I have a faux designer ring a la "Prado" instead of "Prada.")
1.gif

Can you see the arrows in the left diamond? They're there, I swear! I won't force you to look at the blurry results of my attempts to photograph through my idealscope.

3studsoct26.jpg

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
Pile o'' bling . . .

4studsoct26.jpg

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
Other ear (just for symmetry''s sake) . . .

5studsoct26.jpg

bling*diva*

Ideal_Rock
~~They''re so pretty...I like them in yellow gold too!!
30.gif

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
I''ve been jumping for joy like a little girl. My parents were in town last night, and my mother commented that it must be nice to have something that could get you so excited. She said a little sadly that she didn''t really have anything that made her jump for joy and ramble on incessantly (ya know, about idealscopes and spread and crown angles and such).

I told my two friends at work about how I was ordering them, so of course I had to show them off. My first friend said they were super sparkly and big and matched my e-ring nicely. My other friend, who really is my best friend in town, reacted strangely. I said, "I got my earrings!" and she said, "Oh, that''s nice." I said, "No, I''m wearing them!" and she didn''t even look up from her computer screen. She said, "Oh, they''re nice" in a really flat voice, and then announced that I would be disappointed I hadn''t waited for my anniversary to wear them. I know I got a little long-winded when I was trying to explain how perfect they were to me, but she didn''t seem disinterested or party-pooperish until I actually got them. So either she is jealous or I am a boor. Earlier this week when I had finished telling them about ordering them, I said that now we should go order them some diamonds!
2.gif
My friend said, "I can''t . . . I''m still paying off my engagement ring!" So maybe that''s it. I don''t know. I do realize that you should be sensitive about money and things like that, but I am such a private person, and I rarely even talk at lunch. I guess I just figured that my friends wouldn''t think I was being bratty and would just be happy for me.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
congrats phoenixgirl! what a great find.
36.gif
like you, i have always been facinated with gemstones. little did i know it would turn into such an expensive, yet very interesting, facination.
34.gif

here''s to all of the wonders of nature''s beauty
embeer.gif

may you wear your new earrings in good health.

Jelly

Ideal_Rock
Love the studs!!!!! They are gorgeous! I love K''s!
9.gif

People can be "funny" when it comes to showing off your bling. I have a few select people I can talk about it with. I''m afraid everyone else would roll their eyes or ignore me.
20.gif

WTNLVR

Brilliant_Rock
Love the earrings! Great choice. You are right, the hunt is half the fun! I gave up "unveiling" any new pieces I get to anyone. People just don't care or get funny like your friend. If someone asks, is that new? Well, then all bets are off. I stop when I see their eyes glaze over. But that's what we have PS for right??

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I luv ''em! Great choice!

cheers--Sharon

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
They look great on you, congrats and enjoy!!!
36.gif

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
Those look so white and they are great sizes for your ears. Very pretty.

ChargerGrrl

Ideal_Rock
WOW! Those are great-looking K's. They look fabulous on you.

Congrats on the new addition to your jewelry box!

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Though ordering was somewhat of a hassle...it seems worth it cuz they are beautiful! A lovely size too.

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Congrats! Great find, they are lovely!

luvsdiamonds

Shiny_Rock
I really love those very pretty!
emsmile.gif

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your new earrings are beautiful and they look wonderful on your ears!

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
They are beautiful! Perfect size for your ears, very lovely. Congratulations.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aww..how pretty those are with your rings! I know you must be excited, and it is disapointing for real life friends to not care about jewelry. Most of mine don''t either. So it is good we have people here who are genuinely happy to share this hobby and enjoy seeing the new baubles here and there!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
those are just gorgeous...

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Great find - congrats!

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well congratulations, I am sure that you are super excited as they are beautiful! Wear them in good health!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Phoenixgirl, they are awesome! Sooo pretty! Good for you for getting what you want and loving them!
36.gif

Don''t worry about "real life" opinions as far as your co-worker--that''s what''s so great about PS--you can come here and get lots of feedback from people who actually care, lol! Any time I''ve received anything jewelry related from DH (including my e-ring), I don''t even bother to tell anyone in real life about it unless they ask...even when I got engaged, my own mother and father said absolutely NOTHING about my e-ring. I thought I must''ve been adopted at that point, to have parents who so blatantly didn''t notice my bling.
9.gif

Anyway, congrats on your purchase and Happy Anniversary in advance!
36.gif
They really do look like the perfect size on your ears.

cutes814

Brilliant_Rock
Mmmm...yummo! What a great find! Great job.

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
I wanted to give a plug to the Holloway cut adviser, which was the main reason I felt comfortable buying a cut that wasn''t traditionally considered ideal. I''m not saying that the fact that my diamonds have a degree of symmetry and what look like arrows is because the HCA gave them good numbers, and I''m also not saying that this guarantees great light return. But I just think it''s neat and that there must be some correlation there.

OK, I couldn''t resist, here are my blurry idealscope shots.

Stone with better symmetry:

bettersymmetry.jpg

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
Stone with lesser symmetry:

lessersymmetry.jpg

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Phoenixgirl it looks like you found a terrific pair of studs! They are really pretty and the size seems ideal for your ear. Don''t let anyone else spoil your enjoyment of your beautiful new treasures. You know they will always be appreciated on pricescope!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Congrats on your beautiful studs!!

And as others have said, ignore the less than enthusiastic response from others, as I''ve done, and enjoy your baubles.
2.gif

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They are a GREAT size for your ears. Congratulations! I know what you mean about not wanting anyone to know about them for fear they''d buy them! Good job keeping quiet. I''m glad you got them.
21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results