shape
carat
color
clarity

Show me your Daniel M goodies!

PositivelyPeanut

Shiny_Rock
Okie_girl|1317478395|3030543 said:
Woo hoo, I'm excited to share my first DanielM project! It's not a colored stone, so I hope you all will forgive. DanielM is making a pendant and a set of earrings with diamonds from my late mother's wedding ring and RHR, which will be for my two nieces. Here is the CAD for the pendant. It will be approximately 12mm from side to side.
Love this as well as the sentiment behind it. Beautiful!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okie girl, where did you get the inspiration for the design? It looks so different than the typical Daniel M work. I am always curious how these unique pieces come to be. TIA and once again, its beeyooteeful!

Okie_girl

Shiny_Rock
Minous, I can take absolutely no credit regarding the design! I sent Dan and Caren a picture of what they had to work with, and they pretty much took it from there. I had thought to maybe use the marquise diamonds as the center stones in the earrings and pendant both, but I really did not have a clear picture in my head of what I wanted. It was Dan and Caren's idea to use all of the marquise stones in the pendant, which I think was a great idea. Still waiting on the CAD for the earrings, but they will probably be little stud clusters, or perhaps something dangly. It's kind of hard to design something that will appeal to my nieces now, but that they'll also appreciate when they get older. Of course, I think they'll always appreciate the sentimentality of the pieces, but I want them to love them and wear them!

Just for fun, I attached a picture of my mom's rings. The marquise stones were in her wedding band, the other ring was her RHR. She hardly ever took them off, so I had to do some major cleaning when I got them, and they still looked pretty dirty. Those rings were on her hands for a long, long time.

PositivelyPeanut, thanks for your sweet comment!

IMG_0714.JPG

JuneRose

Brilliant_Rock
Okie_girl|1317478395|3030543 said:
Woo hoo, I'm excited to share my first DanielM project! It's not a colored stone, so I hope you all will forgive. DanielM is making a pendant and a set of earrings with diamonds from my late mother's wedding ring and RHR, which will be for my two nieces. Here is the CAD for the pendant. It will be approximately 12mm from side to side.

Wow that is BEAUTIFUL! Can't wait to see it!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okie_girl|1318083633|3035940 said:
Minous, I can take absolutely no credit regarding the design! I sent Dan and Caren a picture of what they had to work with, and they pretty much took it from there. I had thought to maybe use the marquise diamonds as the center stones in the earrings and pendant both, but I really did not have a clear picture in my head of what I wanted. It was Dan and Caren's idea to use all of the marquise stones in the pendant, which I think was a great idea. Still waiting on the CAD for the earrings, but they will probably be little stud clusters, or perhaps something dangly. It's kind of hard to design something that will appeal to my nieces now, but that they'll also appreciate when they get older. Of course, I think they'll always appreciate the sentimentality of the pieces, but I want them to love them and wear them!

You know, then I think this is one of those very special "meant to be" moments, because the piece(s) they are making are so timeless and beautiful - and I think different that what they usually do. It's almost like your Mom was lending a hand here...

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
karee888|1314494733|3002748 said:
FrekeChild|1309313693|2957573 said:
Namibian tourmaline from Barry Bridgestock, side diamonds from vintage ring I broke apart, metal work (Argentium silver!) from Daniel M!

wow. such nice prongs! how did you describe them to danielm? did you just say "claw prongs" or "pointy"? nice work!
I said, "Do whatever you want with the prongs." :razz:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey Freke - you're probably getting tired of this, but how's the tummy doing? Are you picking out Daniel M goodies for your little one?

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
minousbijoux|1318110877|3036172 said:
Hey Freke - you're probably getting tired of this, but how's the tummy doing? Are you picking out Daniel M goodies for your little one?
I made her a birthstone ring...technically it's my push present, but one day it will be hers.

8+cts, electric blue topaz, custom cut in the Victoria cushion cut by Barry Bridgestock.

Sterling silver setting from Daniel M. Size 7.

IMG_2389-1.JPG

IMG_2391-1.JPG

IMG_2407-1.JPG

IMG_2417-1.JPG

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As usual, good job. There is something different about it that sets it apart from all the other prong set blue topaz rings - this one is beautiful and timeless.

Okie_girl

Shiny_Rock
Freke, the ring for your baby girl is beautiful!

Here's a real life picture of the pendant and earrings that I had made for my nieces. And, another project that was recently completed, the stone in the heart is a tourmaline from Dana.

tourmaline heart 3.png

Pendant and earrings.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
That pendant is so cool Okie!

I have a few other things of DM's.

DSCN1511.JPG

asscher garnet3.JPG

dark gray spinel.JPG

necklaces.JPG

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
And a few diamond pieces as well.

diamonds5.JPG

diamond ring1.jpg

jbkhere

Brilliant_Rock
Freke - I LOVE every.single.piece you posted! I can't wait to start working with Dan & Caren to get some of my own! Can I ask - are you happy with the argentium? I have a nickel allergy and am looking for an affordable alternative. I can't mount EVERYTHING in platinum :bigsmile:

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't have them yet, but I have the glamour shots as of tonight! 4 lovely new items coming my way - woo hoo!!
An 18" pear sapphire DBTY necklace in Argentium Silver.
The reset of my Gemfix blue/green tourmaline, set E/W in u prong setting with double 'claw' prongs, size 7.75 in argentium silver.
A 3 stone pear sapphire, trellis, no basket on side stones, size 7.75 in argentium silver.
and... last but not least... a RG twisted spacer. I did not want a tight twist, just a gentle rolling one like this - perfect!

danielm_pear_sapphire_dbty1.jpg

danielm_sapphire_dbty2.jpg

danielm_tourm2.jpg

danielm_tourm4.jpg

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
argh... why aren't they posting??? rats!

Well, when they are finally in my hot little hands (and neck!) I'll be back to post pictures. Bummer - because her glamour shots are so much nicer than anything I could compose

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
jbkhere|1339613680|3215552 said:
Freke - I LOVE every.single.piece you posted! I can't wait to start working with Dan & Caren to get some of my own! Can I ask - are you happy with the argentium? I have a nickel allergy and am looking for an affordable alternative. I can't mount EVERYTHING in platinum :bigsmile:

Have you tried palladium gold?

jbkhere

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Lady, no I haven't but I've wondered what it is. Do you know? I just assumed if it was gold - there was nickel and I couldn't wear it..... Thanks!

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
jbkhere|1340370361|3221730 said:
Hi Lady, no I haven't but I've wondered what it is. Do you know? I just assumed if it was gold - there was nickel and I couldn't wear it..... Thanks!

Palladium gold is a "white" gold alloy (it is greyer than nickel white gold, which tends to be creamier) which uses palladium instead of nickel and zinc to make the white color. There are different compositions, but a good one for 18k is 75% gold, 15% palladium, 10% silver (this is the one I use). Palladium is much more expensive than copper or silver (around 80% the price of gold), so palladium white gold is more expensive than usual alloys. However, it is important to check with the vendor exactly what alloy they are using, since some cheaper sources add nickel or zinc.

Do you wear yellow or rose gold?

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
jbkhere|1340363059|3221696 said:
Here's the link to the Etsy page! (at least I think this is them)
https://www.etsy.com/transaction/85059899?transaction_id=85059899

I LOVE the DBTY necklace and three stone ring.I never would have thought to do either and I really like the way they both turned out. Congratulations! :appl:

YES!!! Great - those are my new treasures!!! Thanks for finding them jbkhere!!!

I 'm so excited to finally get them! The DBTY were pears from eBay (not quality, but they make me happy..) and the tourmaline is a GORGEOUS colour that the other setting was a bit sketchy from LOGR, so decided to scrap that and set it in something I'd wear and be proud of.

When I'm back, I'll post more photos... woo hoo!

jbkhere

Brilliant_Rock
Lady_Disdain|1340379020|3221822 said:
jbkhere|1340370361|3221730 said:

Palladium gold is a "white" gold alloy (it is greyer than nickel white gold, which tends to be creamier) which uses palladium instead of nickel and zinc to make the white color. There are different compositions, but a good one for 18k is 75% gold, 15% palladium, 10% silver (this is the one I use). Palladium is much more expensive than copper or silver (around 80% the price of gold), so palladium white gold is more expensive than usual alloys. However, it is important to check with the vendor exactly what alloy they are using, since some cheaper sources add nickel or zinc.

Do you wear yellow or rose gold?

Thank you Lady! I'm definitely going to look for it! I'll ask Daniel M if they use it.
I used to wear yellow and rose (LOVE rose gold) until I developed the allergy. I know I've tried yellow gold since I developed it but I don't know if I've tried rose. Does it possibly have less nickel?

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
jbkhere|1340383463|3221871 said:
Thank you Lady! I'm definitely going to look for it! I'll ask Daniel M if they use it.
I used to wear yellow and rose (LOVE rose gold) until I developed the allergy. I know I've tried yellow gold since I developed it but I don't know if I've tried rose. Does it possibly have less nickel?

The traditional formulas don't contain nickel (just gold, copper and silver). However, the commercial alloys often contain other metals, for working properties, tarnish resistance, to give a stronger color, etc. For example, casting alloys often contain silicon and zinc, to get finer detail. To give you an idea of what is out there, take a look at Hoover's line of gold alloys: https://beta.hooverandstrong.com/hoover--strong-metals-chart

Ask Daniel if he prepares his own alloy or uses commercial ones (the supplier should be able to tell if there is any nickel). I am sure he can use gold that won't trigger your allergy.

snoopkat

Shiny_Rock
I got these back in May but the winter weather has been so horrible that I didn't get a chance until today to take some pictures. These little babies are incredibly difficult to photograph, especially the earring but here are a couple of somewhat decent ones (I'm still learning how to take good photos).

The stones are from Gemcal. They don't seem to be that well known on PS but for the price I was willing to take the chance. The colour and saturation of the stones are very close to vendor's photos, my only gripe is with the zircon pair. They were advertised as loupe clean but I can see some surface inclusions. Still, I'm very happy with their light dispersion though it's hard to capture that.

033.jpg

042.jpg

061.jpg

_20.jpg

snoopkat

Shiny_Rock
More photos...

_22.jpg

039.jpg

_23.jpg

038.jpg

jbkhere

Brilliant_Rock
Lady_Disdain|1340385435|3221892 said:
jbkhere|1340383463|3221871 said:

The traditional formulas don't contain nickel (just gold, copper and silver). However, the commercial alloys often contain other metals, for working properties, tarnish resistance, to give a stronger color, etc. For example, casting alloys often contain silicon and zinc, to get finer detail. To give you an idea of what is out there, take a look at Hoover's line of gold alloys: https://beta.hooverandstrong.com/hoover--strong-metals-chart

Ask Daniel if he prepares his own alloy or uses commercial ones (the supplier should be able to tell if there is any nickel). I am sure he can use gold that won't trigger your allergy.

OMG Lady - thank you!!! I have a rose gold band that I've had for awhile. I first noticed I was getting a rash under my white gold engagement ring. Then the bells went off in my head "OHHHH maybe THAT'S why its always bothered me to wear earrings!" It never occurred to me then that I had an allergy. So after the white gold was giving me trouble I tried a yellow gold ring. Same thing - so that was it - no more gold for me. I don't know why - I never tried my rose gold band! I've had it on non-stop since yesterday with NO problem!! I am SO excited! Thank you so much for suggesting the rose gold - I honestly don't know why I never thought to try it. Now I have a MUCH more affordable alternative to platinum! And rose gold has always been my favorite - its just harder to find. Thank you SO much!!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have posted some other shots of my DanielM items, which I just picked up in Las Vegas ... but I am so excited about them - here's a few more! ;))

img_1753.jpg

img_1761.jpg

img_1742.jpg

danielm_0.jpg

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
...and my RG spacer and a close up of one of the bezelled sapphires on the BTY necklace.

img_0870.jpg

img_0890.jpg

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aghhh I love this thread :love:

I am also finally getting some more of my stones set - hopefully 3 rings in quick sucession. Such a shame I don't wear silver (sigh...) as Dan's quote for the three in 14K was almost $1K in total and that's more twice than the $$$ of the stones combined. :(sad

None the less they are so perfect on my finger! :naughty:

bookworm240

Shiny_Rock
Oh ladies....so lovely. What is it exactly that you love so much about his work? Is it the simplicity, is he easy to work with? Am currently thinking about doing a custom piece.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Bookworm.

I liked that Caren was very communicative- responded quickly to all my questions and had a ton of patience if I was asking too many! I love the quality of the pieces I own - 3 in argentium silver and 1 in RG. They are well made and clean simple lines - that was their appeal to me. I also figure if others were happy, I'll be happy. I'm not much for blazing trails, so to speak, and happy to follow where others have already sourced out a reputable vendor!

Good luck!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results