Show me your antique and antique inspired settings/rings please

EC8

Shiny_Rock
Team 8 prong here:)
A couple of antique settings (from same seller) on EBay:

leukolenos

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I’m still amazed that he was able to find such a perfect antique setting for your stone :kiss2:
Thank you! I do love it a lot. It was supposed to be a “temp” but it’ll probably just stay that way! Adam can definitely pull a rabbit out of the hat!

@missy looking forward to seeing what you decide for your gorgeous stone :)

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
4448C0D5-6E2C-4CA5-B2B7-D5F1ADD4C74D.jpeg How exciting for you!
I feel the EW Margot as posted by @soxfan is ‘very Missy’.

Your huge stone will look gorgeous in a solitaire and allows for stacking.

My antique OEC sits in an Art Deco inspired setting by VC: the Sophia. I think the Anya design with a straight band would be more you if you opt for French cuts.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
4448C0D5-6E2C-4CA5-B2B7-D5F1ADD4C74D.jpeg How exciting for you!
I feel the EW Margot as posted by @soxfan is ‘very Missy’.

Your huge stone will look gorgeous in a solitaire and allows for stacking.

My antique OEC sits in an Art Deco inspired setting by VC: the Sophia. I think the Anya design with a straight band would be more you if you opt for French cuts.

Dear @Acinom I am in love with your delicious ring. Your OEC and setting are simply divine in every way. It is a masterpiece.:love:

The Margot was one of my top choices but after chatting with a few people I no longer feel that it would suit my stone. While I do love the Margot it doesn't "feel" to me antique....it is more modern in aesthetic than I want for my OEC. Again more of a feeling than anything else and I do love the setting but better for a more modern cut stone IMO.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is so hard. I couldn’t make a decision so I told Adam to just pick whatever would suit mine. There is something very special about genuine antique settings! Have faith- the right thing will turn up!

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bj5gB3fjSAc/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1ppwdufx9qqgv

@missy looking forward to seeing what you decide for your gorgeous stone :)

Hi @leukolenos I am so pleased for you that you found your gorgeous HG ring. I have been asking Adam to please find me a lovely antique setting but unfortunately to date he has not been able to find one for my OEC. I love what he chose for your stone...it's perfect.:love: Thanks for chiming in and I will keep this thread updated if I ever find anything lol.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Team 8 prong here:)
A couple of antique settings (from same seller) on EBay:

Thank you @EC8, great finds! I will evaluate further...one looks to be too small for my OEC but you never know and I do like both settings very much, thank you for your detective work! I appreciate it!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just have saved this from pricescope at some point. I've decided that when I'm ready for a re-set, I'm going to ask Victor to come up with his spin on this one.

Screen Shot 2018-02-09 at 10.24.03.png

Thank you @jaaron, what a lovely setting. I borrowed a ring from Adam while searching for my HG OEC and while this one did not turn out to be the "one" I did love the setting very much. Though I am not sure it is the right setting for my OEC as it has 4 tab prongs and side stones which while gorgeous I feel might take away from the OEC...Adam did not offer me this setting and I think it is too small for my OEC but I do love it and it reminds me of your lovely inspiration setting that you shared above. Isn't this gorgeous?

Gorgeous setting. Such intricate work. Beautiful old cut stones in the setting.
4.28sidesetting.jpg.png

This is such a yummy profile IMO.
4.28settingprofile.jpg.png

It is a super pretty setting but I do feel like it detracts from the center OEC in a way.
4.28onfinger.jpg.png

I also am not sure this setting protects the girdle sufficiently.
4.28Iprofile.jpg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Would you consider asking DK or Caysie to create a copy of your Bea/Bella setting? Or are you indeed opting for true antique.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Would you consider asking DK or Caysie to create a copy of your Bea/Bella setting? Or are you indeed opting for true antique.

There are a few factors at play here. First my dh is reluctant to have me send Bubbalah long distance to anyone since I have had some scary moments with shipping bling and if it gets lost it is irreplaceable. And he feels it would be too stressful for me to handle. That is a big factor. The worry about the stone getting lost and the stress of that. That is leading me to want to do it locally. I do love both Caysie and DK's work and aesthetic and Caysie specifically captures the femininity I so love in my jewelry. She creates elegant and delicate pieces that appeal to me.

Second of all I don't think I want to recreate Bea/Bella. I enjoyed her setting for years and now I am ready for something (perhaps only slightly but perhaps greater than slightly) different. There is definitely more than one style that speaks to me. 8 prong solitaire yes but other styles that make me realize I just do not know what I want yet. Hence the reason I started a thread after much deliberation. I didn't think I needed a thread for this but turns out I did. I thought it was a no brainer. That I wanted an 8 prong solitaire preferably antique and then I would be done. Now I just don't know.

My first preference is for a true antique that is in good shape and can securely hold my OEC and protect her as well due to an extremely thin girdle. But I am open to many different settings and love so many of them. Indeed the more choices one has the more challenging the decision but since I am hoping I only have to do this once more (please please please lol so many different stones and settings over the past 15 years and I am ready to have that journey accomplished and onto the next if you kwim) I want to examine all the possible options and make the best decision I can.

Thanks for asking @Acinom and I value your thoughts and input.

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
There are a few factors at play here. First my dh is reluctant to have me send Bubbalah long distance to anyone since I have had some scary moments with shipping bling and if it gets lost it is irreplaceable. And he feels it would be too stressful for me to handle. That is a big factor. The worry about the stone getting lost and the stress of that. That is leading me to want to do it locally. I do love both Caysie and DK's work and aesthetic and Caysie specifically captures the femininity I so love in my jewelry. She creates elegant and delicate pieces that appeal to me.

Second of all I don't think I want to recreate Bea/Bella. I enjoyed her setting for years and now I am ready for something (perhaps only slightly but perhaps greater than slightly) different. There is definitely more than one style that speaks to me. 8 prong solitaire yes but other styles that make me realize I just do not know what I want yet. Hence the reason I started a thread after much deliberation. I didn't think I needed a thread for this but turns out I did. I thought it was a no brainer. That I wanted an 8 prong solitaire preferably antique and then I would be done. Now I just don't know.

My first preference is for a true antique that is in good shape and can securely hold my OEC and protect her as well due to an extremely thin girdle. But I am open to many different settings and love so many of them. Indeed the more choices one has the more challenging the decision but since I am hoping I only have to do this once more (please please please lol so many different stones and settings over the past 15 years and I am ready to have that journey accomplished and onto the next if you kwim) I want to examine all the possible options and make the best decision I can.

Thanks for asking @Acinom and I value your thoughts and input.

Thinking...if you don’t want to ship Bubbalah....do you have a local bench you trust?

I’m wondering if it would still be possible to have Caysie (or whomever you choose) make a setting, and ship it to you empty for a local bench to put the stone in. The prong work might not be the same, but it would save you the worry over shipping. I feel like there was a thread somewhere where a person in Australia had Victor make a setting and had her stone put in it locally. It looked beautiful when all was said and done.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thinking...if you don’t want to ship Bubbalah....do you have a local bench you trust?

I’m wondering if it would still be possible to have Caysie (or whomever you choose) make a setting, and ship it to you empty for a local bench to put the stone in. The prong work might not be the same, but it would save you the worry over shipping. I feel like there was a thread somewhere where a person in Australia had Victor make a setting and had her stone put in it locally. It looked beautiful when all was said and done.

Yes, thanks @Tonks, you're right. I remember that thread but cannot remember the PSer. I trust Adam and his bench so that is one option and he works with Caysie so there is potential there.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What @Tonks said...
@arkieb1 indeed went this route. And me too! As there was just no way I was going to ship my OEC overseas from Europe to LA, Victor made my setting based on the measurements of my stone. I am sure Caysie or DK could do this as well.

Thanks for sharing your insights

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you @Acinom. I am glad I am not the only one not excited to ship my stone many miles. Hehe I don't like flying and I don't like my diamonds flying either.:lol:

Fun video fyi that I came across this morning.

Miss Marple

Shiny_Rock
Yes, thanks @Tonks, you're right. I remember that thread but cannot remember the PSer. I trust Adam and his bench so that is one option and he works with Caysie so there is potential there.

When I spoke to Adam, he indicated that he has access to any of Cassie's designs, so that seems like a good possibility if you don't find the perfect vintage setting.

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you are in no hurry, maybe Adam will sorce something suitable that you love. Or...have you ever contacted Caysie? She is so lovely to work with. Perhaps a conversion with her, detailing some of the elements you are looking for. Send her pictures of your stone. She is so talented and has the vintage/antique aesthetic to perfection! She could come up with a unique and exquisite design for your equally unique and exquisite Bubbalah. Just a thought.

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is so hard. I couldn’t make a decision so I told Adam to just pick whatever would suit mine. There is something very special about genuine antique settings! Have faith- the right thing will turn up!

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bj5gB3fjSAc/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1ppwdufx9qqgv

Confession time!!! When did this happen and where are the pics and/or thread?!? :kiss2: That'll cure DSS!!

Sorry for the threadjack @missy! There is something super special about an original antique setting and even though the wait might be hard, it'll be worth it I'm sure. You waited so long for Bubbalah and aren't you so so glad you did?

leukolenos

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi @leukolenos I am so pleased for you that you found your gorgeous HG ring. I have been asking Adam to please find me a lovely antique setting but unfortunately to date he has not been able to find one for my OEC. I love what he chose for your stone...it's perfect.:love: Thanks for chiming in and I will keep this thread updated if I ever find anything lol.
Thank you Missy! I agree with @ac117 , it may be like the wait for Bubbalah, long but worth it! At least she is currently set so you can enjoy her. Arkie’s setting from Victor is probably my all time favorite. If I were commissioning something, it would probably be similar.

I didn’t really intend to keep this setting forever, but I am far too indecisive to make any big decisions about changing it. Settings are hard, and with custom the stakes are high!

Confession time!!! When did this happen and where are the pics and/or thread?!? :kiss2: That'll cure DSS!!

Sorry for the threadjack @missy! There is something super special about an original antique setting and even though the wait might be hard, it'll be worth it I'm sure. You waited so long for Bubbalah and aren't you so so glad you did?
No pics or thread yet- I probably should though!....it was somewhat of an impulsive purchase this summer. So far I’m really enjoying it! It was a huge size jump so a little bit of reverse DSS, if there is such a thing.

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No pics or thread yet- I probably should though!....it was somewhat of an impulsive purchase this summer. So far I’m really enjoying it! It was a huge size jump so a little bit of reverse DSS, if there is such a thing.

Ahh sounds amazing! Please snap a quick pic if you have a moment:halo: nearly 5ct is such a dream :kiss2:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you are in no hurry, maybe Adam will sorce something suitable that you love. Or...have you ever contacted Caysie? She is so lovely to work with. Perhaps a conversion with her, detailing some of the elements you are looking for. Send her pictures of your stone. She is so talented and has the vintage/antique aesthetic to perfection! She could come up with a unique and exquisite design for your equally unique and exquisite Bubbalah. Just a thought.

Thanks @Bonfire. I have spoken with Caysie and have not decided what I am doing yet. I am reluctant to go custom as it never turns out the way I envision and I realize my limitation in visualizing finished pieces. Being aware of one's limitations is the first step to not making pricey mistakes again lol. But I do love her work and aesthetic and her pieces embody the romanticism I so love so still on the list.

When I spoke to Adam, he indicated that he has access to any of Cassie's designs, so that seems like a good possibility if you don't find the perfect vintage setting.

Hi @Miss Marple yes they are a good team so that is a possibility. I have discussed that with Adam. Thanks for weighing in...definitely an option.

For me there really is no such thing as a thread jack because we are talking about bling right? And I love bling chat so it's all welcome! Extra love for photos by the way.:kiss2: Speaking of photos....hello @leukolenos :cheeky: I think you owe us some pics...just saying.:sun:

Thank you Missy! I agree with @ac117 , it may be like the wait for Bubbalah, long but worth it! At least she is currently set so you can enjoy her. Arkie’s setting from Victor is probably my all time favorite. If I were commissioning something, it would probably be similar.

I didn’t really intend to keep this setting forever, but I am far too indecisive to make any big decisions about changing it. Settings are hard, and with custom the stakes are high!

Exactly. I have been down the custom route before and disappointed with many thousands down the drain. If I have no choice OK but right now I don't feel like that and I am definitely more cautious because of my custom experiences. All my fault due to my visualization limitations.

Yes I am glad I waited for Bubbalah or rather, she waited for me.:lol:

I do love @arkieb1 's setting for Lola. And I love Victor Canera's work. I am not sure if he would do a setting for me long distance like he did for Arkie though as that is not his usual MO and I am located in the states so not such a long trip for Bubbalah to take. But nevertheless I would rather not send her across the country because things to get lost and since she is irreplaceable I am not excited to do that.

A few inspiration settings I rather like.
These might be very similar (or the same one) as @soxfan linked here the other day.

vintageinspirationsetting4.JPG \

vintageinspirationsetting.jpeg

vintageinspirationsetting3.jpg
inspirationvintagesetting2.jpg

Though the sides might be a little busy for my taste I do enjoy these settings.

And thank you @EC8, I contacted the vendors and they both got back to me and are getting me more info from their bench people. Will let you know if anything develops, thank you!

@Mamabean I went through all of pinterest and OEC and old cut settings too. Thanks so much. Very helpful!

Yesterday (right before we left to meet a PSer actually :sun:) I took a quick pic of Bubbalah. I have to say she really looks lovely in her current setting. I do want to eventually get her set in her permanent home however, in the meantime, she is lovely where she is. I cannot deny that.

bubbalahlivingroom.jpg.png

Thanks for all your input ladies. I appreciate it. Any more photos and thoughts greatly welcome. TY!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I lived in the US I would have shipped my diamond to Victor without hesitation. You can get insurance before you ship diamonds in the US here we can only do it via 2 different companies and it cost many many thousand to ship a 5.34 carat diamond from Australia to the US. That was the main reason Victor made a setting for me without the stone.

I found one of the best bench jewellers I could and gave him specific instructions from Victor on how to do the prongs and I left the Emilya that I own with the bench guy so he could compare the tips of the prongs to how he was finishing them with Lola.

Despite the size of the stone that is the ring that gets the most wear, it's comfortable, practical, well made, and it looks like the diamond always belonged there. My photos make these rings look thick and chunky but in real life they are elegant to look at and no thicker mm wise to many of the other rings I own. The photos do not do the quality of the rings justice.

Lola 1.2.jpg Charlie and Lola 6.jpg

Last edited:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I lived in the US I would have shipped my diamond to Victor without hesitation. You can get insurance before you ship diamonds in the US here we can only do it via 2 different companies and it cost many many thousand to ship a 5.34 carat diamond from Australia to the US. That was the main reason Victor made a setting for me without the stone.

I found one of the best bench jewellers I could and gave him specific instructions from Victor on how to do the prongs and I left the Emilya that I own with the bench guy so he could compare the tips of the prongs to how he was finishing them with Lola.

Despite the size of the stone that is the ring that gets the most wear, it's comfortable, practical, well made, and it looks like the diamond always belonged there. My photos make these rings look thick and chunky but in real life they are elegant to look at and no thicker mm wise to many of the other rings I own. The photos do not do the quality of the rings justice.

Lola 1.2.jpg Charlie and Lola 6.jpg

Thanks Arkie. Gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous.:love:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
9FF447D9-4F40-48A9-A160-1FA077DEE7C8.jpeg 5E360120-78EB-47D5-BBEF-07126A1CEAE2.jpeg 6A937A86-CB11-4FB9-9EC1-F71851E74B44.jpeg Must get some better photos!
@ac117 @missy
Oh my goodness!! You must start a thread on this at once! :appl:
Did I miss the stats on your stone, other than 5ct? (Listen to me...”other than 5ct”:lol: Lol!). That setting is divine, utter perfection! Please start a thread, we need lots more pictures!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results