shape
carat
color
clarity

Show me your antique and antique inspired settings/rings please

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Missy..I think you loved your setting from Bea..I know you want an antique setting but the prongs and ring may be brittle and you may have problems with it later. Can you have one made that’s similiar to Bea in the crown fashion but something Bubbalah’s own? Have you decided if you want her up high or as low as you can go? She’s huge so you can’t go too low so that may not even be an option..I just keeps seeing her in a crown setting..:love:
Of course I can’t make my mind up about my cluster ring...I keep seeing other rings and I don’t know what to do. I’m actually glad I have time to think. I understand yours is a much more major decision but I do understand your indecision.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missy..I think you loved your setting from Bea..I know you want an antique setting but the prongs and ring may be brittle and you may have problems with it later. Can you have one made that’s similiar to Bea in the crown fashion but something Bubbalah’s own? Have you decided if you want her up high or as low as you can go? She’s huge so you can’t go too low so that may not even be an option..I just keeps seeing her in a crown setting..:love:

I prefer a low setting but yes you are right I am limited as to how low because she is a big girl. But as low as I can set her is my preference. You are so right about the prongs @Mamabean and I might be best off with a new "old inspired" setting. Or an antique setting that is in pristine condition...and thank you for weighing in... Yes I love the crown settings too.

On another note I asked my mom to please get my grandmother's engagement ring from the bank vault so I can see the setting again and see if I want to do a variation of that. IIRC it is a hexagon bezel of some sort. Her ring is no more than a carat but I love it and it was the inspiration for me to find an old cut diamond of my own all those years ago. I used to wear my grandma's ring before I even knew I loved bling but knew I loved her ring so much. Ahh the beginning of old cut obsession for me before I even realized that was what was occurring.:lol: Though I suspect much of what I loved about wearing my grandma's ring was that wearing it made me feel closer to her since she was gone...The diamond is not great but when my grandparents married they were very poor and the ring means a lot to me. For some reason my mom has it away in the vault and won't allow me to enjoy it but OK fine. I hope she lets me see it and take photos. She can be very difficult but I love her. Family. What can I say. LOL.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I prefer a low setting but yes you are right I am limited as to how low because she is a big girl. But as low as I can set her is my preference. You are so right about the prongs @Mamabean and I might be best off with a new "old inspired" setting. Or an antique setting that is in pristine condition...and thank you for weighing in... Yes I love the crown settings too.

On another note I asked my mom to please get my grandmother's engagement ring from the bank vault so I can see the setting again and see if I want to do a variation of that. IIRC it is a hexagon bezel of some sort. Her ring is no more than a carat but I love it and it was the inspiration for me to find an old cut diamond of my own all those years ago. I used to wear my grandma's ring before I even knew I loved bling but knew I loved her ring so much. Ahh the beginning of old cut obsession for me before I even realized that was what was occurring.:lol: Though I suspect much of what I loved about wearing my grandma's ring was that wearing it made me feel closer to her since she was gone...The diamond is not great but when my grandparents married they were very poor and the ring means a lot to me. For some reason my mom has it away in the vault and won't allow me to enjoy it but OK fine. I hope she lets me see it and take photos. She can be very difficult but I love her. Family. What can I say. LOL.

I would love to see her ring! Do you know who could do a custom antique inspired setting? Does Adam have any?

I posted my grandma’s ring before..I wanted to reset it because the setting is cracked under the loupe and so brittle. I would have to take the diamond out..which is why I was thinking an antique setting while lovely can have hairline cracks and be brittle depending on the alloys they used then. My grandma was poor too so her ring must have been a huge expense for my grandpa at the time. I never met him..only her and the only grandparent I had because they all passed many years before I was born. I think hers is around a third of a carat...and definitely not a good diamond..but I will send it somewhere to have it reset so I can wear it...like a new party dress for her..
My mom lives with me...They have her picture next to the word difficult in the dictionary..:roll2:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I actually realized her setting was platinum so no alloy, right @missy? Still learning..

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you contacted old world diamonds to see if they happen to have an antique setting that would fit her?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would love to see her ring! Do you know who could do a custom antique inspired setting? Does Adam have any?

I posted my grandma’s ring before..I wanted to reset it because the setting is cracked under the loupe and so brittle. I would have to take the diamond out..which is why I was thinking an antique setting while lovely can have hairline cracks and be brittle depending on the alloys they used then. My grandma was poor too so her ring must have been a huge expense for my grandpa at the time. I never met him..only her and the only grandparent I had because they all passed many years before I was born. I think hers is around a third of a carat...and definitely not a good diamond..but I will send it somewhere to have it reset so I can wear it...like a new party dress for her..
My mom lives with me...They have her picture next to the word difficult in the dictionary..:roll2:

Haha no no @Mamabean surely you got that wrong. The photo in the dictionary next to the word "Difficult" is my mother's photo.:lol:
She looks sweet but looks *can* be deceiving...though she has her (sweet) moments and I do love her.

Now next to the word sweet in the dictionary *is* my grandma's photo. Sweet as they came.

grandmaandgrandpa.jpg

I actually realized her setting was platinum so no alloy, right @missy? Still learning..

Yes platinum. But platinum does have alloys...platinum is often mixed with other metals to make it more malleable. The most common alloy metals paired with platinum are palladium, iridium and rhodium. But it can also be paired with copper or titanium and other alloys. I am no expert however so don't quote me.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you contacted old world diamonds to see if they happen to have an antique setting that would fit her?

Yes that was my first choice. Still waiting to see if Adam @oldworlddiamonds comes through for me. So far he has nothing suitable to fit Bubbalah. I am hoping hard that something comes up that will be just right for her. It would be nice to have him involved since I got my first OEC from him and it would feel like it has come full circle if he finds me my forever setting.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What are the dimensions of your stone, Missy?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What about this? I know you said you liked the dahlia. You could try it out? Or is yellow gold a no for you?

https://loupetroop.com/listings/bands/star-flash-star-18k-yellow-gold-cvb-id-dahlia-setting

Yes I love this and considered it but the yellow gold is a deal breaker for me. If it was super inexpensive I might get it and try it but even though the price is good it still is too much for me for a definite not permanent setting. Thanks though-this would have been a great choice if platinum and it’s a beautiful feminine setting.

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
Ok, several that I love!
First is CvB’s Elsa. It’s just dreamy. Love it from every angle!
B688A7AC-2174-491B-B114-EF6C5FD30BA0.png

And next... you were talking about your grandma’s ring having been a hexagon bezel. This made me think of another of my favorites, the CvB Zoe. The first photo is a screenshot I saved from PS a while back (sorry, don’t know whose ring). I just looove this one.
BA31867B-2D2D-40EE-9597-ED8C37DDF4BB.png 55226EA6-8E0A-41A4-8E58-3D9F0EFE5304.png

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the Zoe, too.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok, several that I love!
First is CvB’s Elsa. It’s just dreamy. Love it from every angle!
B688A7AC-2174-491B-B114-EF6C5FD30BA0.png

And next... you were talking about your grandma’s ring having been a hexagon bezel. This made me think of another of my favorites, the CvB Zoe. The first photo is a screenshot I saved from PS a while back (sorry, don’t know whose ring). I just looove this one.
BA31867B-2D2D-40EE-9597-ED8C37DDF4BB.png 55226EA6-8E0A-41A4-8E58-3D9F0EFE5304.png

Thanks @Tonks. Love these both. Graceful and elegant settings. I think I want 8 prongs if I go the prong route. If I go the bezel route I’d like to not have any prongs if possible. I wonder if the Zoe can be made without prongs.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @Tonks. Love these both. Graceful and elegant settings. I think I want 8 prongs if I go the prong route. If I go the bezel route I’d like to not have any prongs if possible.

The zoe would look amazing with your stone with a round bezel inside the hexagon. OMG. Here is an example in the casablanca:

6d7699233445832a0ca12706ffccf4b0--halo-setting-casablanca.jpg

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I don't. It was an inspiration ring I sent Caysie. This could be a side view? Or another setting I liked.

unnamed-4.jpg

This looks very much like it’s a setting that was up for sale on LT 3 years ago.
The listing is still active, under Demelza, so you can see other views of it there. I had it saved as I also love it!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The zoe would look amazing with your stone with a round bezel inside the hexagon. OMG. Here is an example in the casablanca:

6d7699233445832a0ca12706ffccf4b0--halo-setting-casablanca.jpg

And I like the extra protection a bezel would give to my extremely thin girdle.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This looks very much like it’s a setting that was up for sale on LT 3 years ago.
The listing is still active, under Demelza, so you can see other views of it there. I had it saved as I also love it!

Hahahaha thanks @lissyflo
I love everything Demelza has lol. We have similar taste so I’m not surprised. :)

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks @Tonks. Love these both. Graceful and elegant settings. I think I want 8 prongs if I go the prong route. If I go the bezel route I’d like to not have any prongs if possible. I wonder if the Zoe can be made without prongs.

Oh, man, I’ll have to think. There are a couple from Victor that I adore, but I just looked and one has six prongs and one is an octagonal bezel with prongs showing. Dang it. I obviously have a type!

I think the Dahlia from CVB has eight....

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, man, I’ll have to think. There are a couple from Victor that I adore, but I just looked and one has six prongs and one is an octagonal bezel with prongs showing. Dang it. I obviously have a type!

I think the Dahlia from CVB has eight....

I believe many of the artists can alter from 6 to 8 prongs if requested. Especially people as talented as Victor, Caysie and Erika.

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
6FE8CEDA-EBF0-4489-A7D1-AEC893BBF26A.jpeg 2E7AF637-B3FD-47CC-A06D-C3A4176E6859.jpeg I know your preference is antique, but if you like hexagonal settings this from VC is amazing. I’d personally prefer it with millegrain in place of the pave, but the general style is gorgeous! And if anyone could do the bezel but without prongs too, I’m sure Victor could. I think LLJsmom setting just pips the octagonal style for me, though.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
6FE8CEDA-EBF0-4489-A7D1-AEC893BBF26A.jpeg 2E7AF637-B3FD-47CC-A06D-C3A4176E6859.jpeg I know your preference is antique, but if you like hexagonal settings this from VC is amazing. I’d personally prefer it with millegrain in place of the pave, but the general style is gorgeous! And if anyone could do the bezel but without prongs too, I’m sure Victor could. I think LLJsmom setting just pips the octagonal style for me, though.

Gorgeous. Thanks!
And yes @LLJsmom’s setting by Victor Canera is glorious. The workmanship amazing.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can’t even narrow the setting down to prong vs bezel lol. See my problem? I appreciate everyone’s input. The more I think about it and the more examples I see and the more I get to discuss it with you guys the closer I come to a decision. I hope. 8)

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock

That’s the one i meant from Victor! That setting is amazing. Sigh.

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
This is the other Victor setting. Love this but six prongs. I’m sure it would look amazing modified with two more, though!

It’s pretty similar to the Dahlia.

344079EC-F2E9-4B81-AB3C-972BB77A3AF4.jpeg 32A48154-71D5-40E0-AF5C-1B706C073D32.jpeg

lynahs1295

Shiny_Rock
01B1D66F-27BF-4FAD-8733-A622AB00C543.jpeg E5607FF3-4C5E-4B69-A2DD-C643C9EF7CC4.jpeg 6C4D465D-430D-43BF-870A-AA44DAB3F2BF.jpeg 59FB1145-1A29-470B-8871-08D426B14D7A.jpeg
this was my original ring...i still have the setting and am setting a different stone in it...original stone was an OEC...grace at JbG said it was an antique edwardian setting...i think it is so gorgeous :kiss2: ... good luck finding the perfect one missy!!

elliefire99

Brilliant_Rock
01B1D66F-27BF-4FAD-8733-A622AB00C543.jpeg E5607FF3-4C5E-4B69-A2DD-C643C9EF7CC4.jpeg 6C4D465D-430D-43BF-870A-AA44DAB3F2BF.jpeg 59FB1145-1A29-470B-8871-08D426B14D7A.jpeg
this was my original ring...i still have the setting and am setting a different stone in it...original stone was an OEC...grace at JbG said it was an antique edwardian setting...i think it is so gorgeous :kiss2: ... good luck finding the perfect one missy!!

Stunning!!!! :love: :love: :love:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thanks @lynahs1295, beautiful Edwardian setting and cannot wait to see what you do with it.:love:

jaaron

Brilliant_Rock
I just have saved this from pricescope at some point. I've decided that when I'm ready for a re-set, I'm going to ask Victor to come up with his spin on this one.

Screen Shot 2018-02-09 at 10.24.03.png

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results