shape
carat
color
clarity

Show me the jewelry you picked up for a song!

lilysweet

Shiny_Rock
Limosun, I love the ring and I love the story!!!

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Probably not bought for a "song" nor my best bargain, given it was over 20 years ago, but I love telling this story whenever someone compliments this ring:

Long before I could afford fine jewelry, my mom and her friends started taking me to Intergem. I would mostly wander around killing time at the less expensive counters while they shopped. At one show, I spotted this ring and for some reason, it just caught my eye and spoke to me. I couldn't resist trying it on "for fun". Seeing this, my mom comes over and immediately asks "how much?". $1300. She says "too much", the vendor says he will sell it for $1100. She continues to negotiate as I stand by totally embarrassed. When he refuses to go lower than $950 and she refuses to go higher than $600, we walk away. I'm shaking my head, telling her she's crazy since I wasn't going to buy the ring and what would've happened if he really did take her offer. Her answer was "You would buy it because it's pretty and a deal". Anyway, at the end of the show, she says "Let's go back, sometimes these dealers need the cash if they didn't do well". We run over, and as the lights blink on/for for folks to leave, she offers $600 and shows him the cash. He takes it and that is how I ended up with one of my go to pieces.

IMG_20181006_114953.jpg

Regardless of whether it was truly a bargain (I have no stats other than it's 18K), it ended up being worth every penny. Most of my jewelry goes in/out of favor with time but this piece has stood the test of time and one I have worn regularly over the years (in fact, have it on today).
What a great story and it looks gorgeous on you!

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Probably not bought for a "song" nor my best bargain, given it was over 20 years ago, but I love telling this story whenever someone compliments this ring:

Long before I could afford fine jewelry, my mom and her friends started taking me to Intergem. I would mostly wander around killing time at the less expensive counters while they shopped. At one show, I spotted this ring and for some reason, it just caught my eye and spoke to me. I couldn't resist trying it on "for fun". Seeing this, my mom comes over and immediately asks "how much?". $1300. She says "too much", the vendor says he will sell it for $1100. She continues to negotiate as I stand by totally embarrassed. When he refuses to go lower than $950 and she refuses to go higher than $600, we walk away. I'm shaking my head, telling her she's crazy since I wasn't going to buy the ring and what would've happened if he really did take her offer. Her answer was "You would buy it because it's pretty and a deal". Anyway, at the end of the show, she says "Let's go back, sometimes these dealers need the cash if they didn't do well". We run over, and as the lights blink on/for for folks to leave, she offers $600 and shows him the cash. He takes it and that is how I ended up with one of my go to pieces.

IMG_20181006_114953.jpg

Regardless of whether it was truly a bargain (I have no stats other than it's 18K), it ended up being worth every penny. Most of my jewelry goes in/out of favor with time but this piece has stood the test of time and one I have worn regularly over the years (in fact, have it on today).

I love a wide diamond band!! And that story is the best!!!!

oodlesofpoodles

Shiny_Rock
Trade
IMG_3109.jpg IMG_3140.jpg IMG_3616.jpg IMG_4068.jpg

I only buy bargains! I refuse to pay retail. For years I thought we could never beat the deal I got for my diamond engagement ring but she was pushed out of first place last year. My best bargain ever was my JB Star emerald and diamond ring that I purchased last year at a pawn shop for $1500.00 including the tax. She is so beautiful I thought there was no way she could be real. (Swoon) By far the most glorious emerald I have ever seen in real life. She was my Chritstmas/Birthday gift from my husband who tells me "of course dear, you deserve it" every time I see a lovely I want:D The appraisal for a replacement value is $23,853.00. We sent the emerald to GIA so that I could have an accurate replacement value because I am concerned with breaking her (I'm rough! I have broken a diamond!) She did already have a character mark on the side when I got her. It was recommended to leave as is by my jeweler. Here are the details

Octagonal Step Cut Transparent Intense Green Natural Emerald from Zambia F1 (Minor Clarity Enhanced) 3.88 carats by weight 11.59x9.15x5.35. Flanking the sides are two trapezoid diamonds VS2 G-H color .90 each. The mounting also features princess cut diamonds channel set down the band all VS2 and G-H color. Total diamond weight 2.95 carats in total with Emerald 6.83 carats.

oodlesofpoodles

Shiny_Rock
Trade
IMG_1446.JPG IMG_4168.jpg IMG_3556.jpg IMG_3551.jpg IMG_3542.jpg
While I don't consider this amount of money a song some might. Here is my #2 bargain. My L/M VVS2 2.55 carat old european cut lovely. Purchased on ebay for $4100.00 in an ugly heavy gold men's ring. Appraised in the $23000-25000 range (I can't find my paperwork right now - where did I put it?) I love her color and big chunky facets that throw sparkles everywhere. Most of the time she reads as a warm white but on overcast days the yellow becomes more apparent and I adore the way that looks too. I popped her out of the men's setting into the only one my jeweler had in the store that fit her dimensions for $700.00 with .45 carats in a halo, with the thought of putting her in something else later. Either a genuine or reproduction deco setting with sapphires was the plan. Its been 12 years and I haven't come across anything that I like well enough for a price I'm willing to pay. I still LOVE HER SO MUCH. Sit around and stare at her love, take pictures in different light kind of love.....it's a sickness ya'll :lol:

Attachments

• IMG_4168.jpg
    IMG_4168.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

oodlesofpoodles

Shiny_Rock
Trade

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

IMG_20181006_114953.jpg

That ring is stunning @lilmosun!!! And what a great story, your mom is awesome! Turns out she was right about them wanting the cash too :D

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock

I only buy bargains! I refuse to pay retail. For years I thought we could never beat the deal I got for my diamond engagement ring but she was pushed out of first place last year. My best bargain ever was my JB Star emerald and diamond ring that I purchased last year at a pawn shop for $1500.00 including the tax. She is so beautiful I thought there was no way she could be real. (Swoon) By far the most glorious emerald I have ever seen in real life. She was my Chritstmas/Birthday gift from my husband who tells me "of course dear, you deserve it" every time I see a lovely I want:D The appraisal for a replacement value is $23,853.00. We sent the emerald to GIA so that I could have an accurate replacement value because I am concerned with breaking her (I'm rough! I have broken a diamond!) She did already have a character mark on the side when I got her. It was recommended to leave as is by my jeweler. Here are the details

Octagonal Step Cut Transparent Intense Green Natural Emerald from Zambia F1 (Minor Clarity Enhanced) 3.88 carats by weight 11.59x9.15x5.35. Flanking the sides are two trapezoid diamonds VS2 G-H color .90 each. The mounting also features princess cut diamonds channel set down the band all VS2 and G-H color. Total diamond weight 2.95 carats in total with Emerald 6.83 carats.

You are a seriously good shopper and that is a jaw dropping steal of a deal! I can’t believe this pawn shop didn’t know what it had! Do you think they thought it was synthetic? Not very good at their job, all the better for you. And that OEC ring is gorgeous. I find it hard to look past the setting if I don’t like it. I should try to change my ways.

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock

Wow. Completely bowled over. And what an amazing hubby. I've got one like that too. We are lucky women!

oodlesofpoodles

Shiny_Rock
Trade
You are a seriously good shopper and that is a jaw dropping steal of a deal! I can’t believe this pawn shop didn’t know what it had! Do you think they thought it was synthetic? Not very good at their job, all the better for you. And that OEC ring is gorgeous. I find it hard to look past the setting if I don’t like it. I should try to change my ways.

Thank you! It was such a great price - I’m not sure how they value the items they sell but this ring was far and above the other items they had in their store. I think they had to assume the emerald was created without any paperwork but even with that the diamonds and setting (platinum) were valued at nearly 9000 separate from the emerald. I just can’t imagine what they paid out to acquire the ring, $750? I have no idea what retail would be on a ring like this but everyone I talked to said JB Star is high quality. I wish I knew the story of how it ended up there.

LorettaB

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
pendant.jpg cousins.jpg I have had a lot of good deals but this Victorian brooch/pendant was a "Friday morning sitting outside of the office waiting for the bidding to end on eBay" purchase/steal and I paid $100.00 for it. It goes well with a pawn shop ring purchase from several months earlier. I love vintage jewelry and just gravitate to it.

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
Another pawn shop visit this week, to cheer myself up after a fender bender. Sparkly things make me feel better. This one has 4 single cuts but— Surprise!— the center stone is an OEC. 2-tone 14k with about .15cttw for $35
811807B4-4150-42C5-8E3B-612963489C03.jpeg C1D57334-1A50-4714-8059-83AE6055D0A7.jpeg B42D3AB5-DC66-4F11-8809-66ABA388F4AF.jpeg

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another pawn shop visit this week, to cheer myself up after a fender bender. Sparkly things make me feel better. This one has 4 single cuts but— Surprise!— the center stone is an OEC. 2-tone 14k with about .15cttw for $35
811807B4-4150-42C5-8E3B-612963489C03.jpeg C1D57334-1A50-4714-8059-83AE6055D0A7.jpeg B42D3AB5-DC66-4F11-8809-66ABA388F4AF.jpeg

@InsecureSweetGirl - I love the 5 stone in yellow gold. Are you able to tell us any more about it? Diamond stats would be awesome, if you have them!

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
@InsecureSweetGirl - I love the 5 stone in yellow gold. Are you able to tell us any more about it? Diamond stats would be awesome, if you have them!
Thanks so much! I don’t have stats unfortunately but it was bought from CJ Antiques in the UK, I made a post about it a while back because the designs cut into the sides were so unusual. The stones are old cut but I’m not sure what kind.
https://www.pricescope.com/communit...ec-band-bluebirds-arrows.212799/#post-3885730

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I got this for a sweet price IMO. With an eBay coupon this ended up being just under 200$. Platinum vintage band from the 1930s. Engraved. Very pretty. Just came yesterday.

Screen Shot 2018-10-26 at 7.08.37 AM.png

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
That’s gorgeous and a steal! Hand pictures, pretty please?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That’s gorgeous and a steal! Hand pictures, pretty please?

Hi @InsecureSweetGirl thank you!

Here's a photo for you that I took right this moment in the kitchen while getting my (second cup guilty:oops2:) coffee. Bubbalah needs to be cleaned for sure. Had a bling adventure yesterday and lots of fingers touching her table (hate when people do that lol) and when we got back home I was too tired to clean her. I will do that this morning. In the meantime I think you can see the engraving on my (new to me) antique platinum band. There is engraving inside too from someone to someone with the date. So romantic. I will see if I can manage to take decent pics of that but not sure I have the skill to take that pic.

bubbalahandengravedplatband.jpg.png

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
From the vendor pics of the inscription inside.

dateinsideband.jpg

engravinginsideband.jpg

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
Well Missy that is stunning! I agree with you on how romantic it is. I love that you rescued it and are giving it a good and gentle home next to such an incredible neighbor.... my love to Bubbalah <3

Keeliamira

Shiny_Rock
My emeralds were my best for-a-song finds. I found the loose Muzo, 6+ carats, on a resale app for $600. The earrings total 3.62 (? I can’t exactly remember, migraine city right now) and I picked them up for $280ish(?), and the ring was the best... also found on a resale app, it’s a Victorian three stone with a .5 ct j/k center for $45.
C0F8A324-BDC1-43DE-A0D4-9E92632A7847.jpeg

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
I think my new Ebay find will qualify. 14k gold .80ctw. I'm thinking they are transitional cut. I paid $275.

It's about 3 sizes too big, and I'm debating if I will replace the shank to make it a pinky ring, or go the other way and have DK make it a bangle. I bid on it thinking I would use the old cut diamonds in another project, but she definitely is growing on me. 20181025_180514.jpg 20181025_153741.jpg

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
My emeralds were my best for-a-song finds. I found the loose Muzo, 6+ carats, on a resale app for $600. The earrings total 3.62 (? I can’t exactly remember, migraine city right now) and I picked them up for $280ish(?), and the ring was the best... also found on a resale app, it’s a Victorian three stone with a .5 ct j/k center for $45.
C0F8A324-BDC1-43DE-A0D4-9E92632A7847.jpeg
Wow just wow!

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I won this band on eBay for $58. I don’t have much info other than the seller had it listed as 0.12 tcw H SI2 set in 14K white gold.
958605DC-5CD6-463D-A416-618412E1000F.jpeg

Lovesparklesparle

Shiny_Rock
346E4DA6-2398-4FB0-A27E-213C830153AA.jpeg 6DF78575-FFBA-4462-B302-D6603648461B.jpeg

5.8x4mm tanzanite, 0.33 tcw diamonds and rubelite. White gold, pristine condition with clean milgrain. $51!

I’m going to use this semi mount for a rhr and replace the tanzanite with my current e ring diamond when the upgrade finally goes down.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG that emerald ring is to die for. Love the setting too. Plus the color of the emerald from Zambia is unbelievable. I would have thought it was from Colombia.

caf

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
upload_2018-11-23_16-32-10.jpeg
Platinum band, 1.5 carats. 21 diamonds. 2.7 mm wide. She was $700 at an auction then plus 22% auction fee and shipping. I love her. She sparkles beautifully and flashes too. One of my best deals!

Attachments

• upload_2018-11-23_16-30-47.jpeg
    upload_2018-11-23_16-30-47.jpeg
    42.5 KB · Views: 57
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results