shape
carat
color
clarity

English 5-stone c1896 OEC band - Bluebirds? Arrows?

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
Received this ring today and absolutely love it. There are carved on either side, little figural marks which to me look like birds. Anyone seen this symbol before? If so, do tell. Cheers!

screen_shot_2015-04-18_at_2.jpg

screen_shot_2015-04-18_at_0.jpg

snfsdca

Rough_Rock
Do you know where the ring was made? A clearer/closer image of the makers marks might be helpful.

A former bf of mine had swallows tattooed on both hands between thumb and index finger. He was in the Royal Navy (UK) and tattoos of swallows on the hands or shoulders were fairly common amongst the Navy men. It was thought to ensure their safe return home and should they perish at sea, legend said the swallows would fly their souls to heaven. Not sure if there is some correlation or similar significance in jewelry...bluebirds are also a symbol of happiness in some cultures.

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for responding. It was hallmarked for London, in 1896. Here's a shot:

I'm inclined to think they might be Cupid's arrows after reading about the statue of Eros in Piccadilly Circus which was installed to great fanfare in 1893, and caused a temporary swell in popularity for all things bow & arrow, extending to jewellery as well.

However, the sailor's swallow motif is just as romantic!

screen_shot_2015-04-18_at_1.jpg

snfsdca

Rough_Rock
I just discovered a ring of mine has similar markings...now you have piqued my curiosity, too! I would bet on the cupids' arrow you found.

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
It would be wonderful if you could share a photo... any chance?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results