shape
carat
color
clarity

show me some BIG wedding bands! suggestions?

chicnhed

Shiny_Rock
marymm|1291737412|2789860 said:
My husband and I chose to have the same style wedding band -- a plain 7mm 14kt White Gold comfort-fit half-dome band which we engraved with a personal sentiment. Back when we married, I didn't want a diamond engagement ring (what was I thinking?) so I only wore the wedding band. But a few years ago I received an engagement-style ring as an anniversary gift - a 1.25ct cushion in a simple Tiffany-style solitaire setting. The solitaire ring is a little big for me and I am loathe to have it sized, so most of the time I wear a 2mm band, then the solitaire ring, then my wide band -- I like how this looks on me, and my husband likes it too. I admit I also like the fact that it is a fairly unique wedding set arrangement, which has its own appeal.

And you're right, the wide-band look for women is unusual - even where I see women wearing only a wedding band it is usually no more than 3mm or 4mm wide. Certainly hand and finger size has something to do with this, but also I think trends or fashion or tradition. I've always considered a wedding set to be an expression of love and of personality. Practically speaking, it is also jewelry meant to be worn daily. Whether or not I wear the solitaire, I always wear the wedding band - and if I take off the wedding band (for gucky chores or whatever), I am aware of its absence and do not feel complete until I put the band back on. I think it is lovely you are looking at a variety of bands and considering which most suit you and your fiance -- good luck, and please post pics once you decide!

Thank you for your wonderful comment! I didnt think about the comfort factor until it was brought up on this thread, and i actually prefer wide rings and have no issues. i wore a 6mm silver band on my right hand for 3 years never taking it off and had no problems. My e-ring is only 2mm and i feel like ill just fling or break it off at any moment since its so small. when i started thinking about wedding rings, i was actually astonished at the amount of people that have 'sets' or tiny rings--it seems like there should be more variety in what popular than there is. I always felt that the wedding ring is THE most important and i would feel horrible if i have a shaped ring to match my e-ring... like the diamond is the important thing. and do they never take their e-ring off?

not saying anything bad about the people who do! it just doesnt work for me. Wedding ring are symbols anyway, that's their purpose, so I wouldnt want to make my e-ring the important factor. For me, it just seems like the whole purpose of having wedding and engagement rings in the first place loses it's heart and sentiment when you make it so that its only as pretty and sparkly as you can make it.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Actually I love wide bands. The delicate little things look nice on a lot of hands but look horrible on mine. I like wide bands on long thin fingers too. I also agree with just about everything you said re wedding bands. I don't know why it isn't more popular - maybe it looks dated like the 1970s.. but on pricescope things are skewed. Things are not quite the same as in real life as everything is interpreted through the lens of the camera. Finger size means way more here, as does diamond size... and putting a diamond on a thin band makes the diamond look bigger. I enjoy all of the "skinny jean" diamond rings, but after a while one avatar looks like several others and I can't tell them apart. When I see things that are way off the beaten path, I really appreciate them.

Where what you love, that's all that matters.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOL - I love that "skinny jeans" metaphor!

I completely agree with OP regarding the sentiment of the wedding band -- a justice of the peace performed our marriage and my husband and I still remember the words spoken specifically about the ring, "the unbroken circle," and how it was a symbol of our love and faith (blah, blah, blah) -- it was very meaningful.

And also in line w/ what OP said about the significance of the band - my 7mm band has a heft and physicality to it that my slender little 2mm band cannot match - the weightiness factor of the wider band is kind of representative (to us) of the sacred commitment of the wedding bond.

(Plus, my husband and I have this thing we do, when we are in sync and feeling our marriage superpowers, where we sort-of-but-not-quite clash our rings together and we both make this CLSH sound -- it takes us back to our wedding ceremony and simultaneously adds another brick to our togetherness foundation every time we do it -- if I had a fragile band I'm not sure we would have started that tradition.)

Thank you, OP, for this great thread - it has been wonderful reflecting on wedding bands and their significance... Ain't love grand?!

janlwf

Rough_Rock
This is my ER upgrade with 1.8 mm pave band with my wide 5mm, milgrained band. The band was originally my mothers and was 8 or 9 mm, I think. I had it cut down to 5 mm and milgrained so that I could wear it with my ER. I love this look but I also have a 1.5 mm pave band to wear with my ER on my "puffy" days :???: I'll have to try and take a few pictures of that set look soon.

ER and band for posting.jpg

chicnhed

Shiny_Rock
marymm|1292170508|2794841 said:
LOL - I love that "skinny jeans" metaphor!
(Plus, my husband and I have this thing we do, when we are in sync and feeling our marriage superpowers, where we sort-of-but-not-quite clash our rings together and we both make this CLSH sound -- it takes us back to our wedding ceremony and simultaneously adds another brick to our togetherness foundation every time we do it -- if I had a fragile band I'm not sure we would have started that tradition.)

Thank you, OP, for this great thread - it has been wonderful reflecting on wedding bands and their significance... Ain't love grand?!

That's the cutest thing! And you're welcome! Hopefully this can help show some alternatives to people who are ooking and want something different and meaningful =)

chicnhed

Shiny_Rock
janlwf|1292191951|2795101 said:
This is my ER upgrade with 1.8 mm pave band with my wide 5mm, milgrained band. The band was originally my mothers and was 8 or 9 mm, I think. I had it cut down to 5 mm and milgrained so that I could wear it with my ER. I love this look but I also have a 1.5 mm pave band to wear with my ER on my "puffy" days :???: I'll have to try and take a few pictures of that set look soon.

I LOVE your rings together!

magda72

Rough_Rock
chicnhed|1291644440|2788760 said:
Okay. Here is a really horrible low-quality camera phone photo of me wearing my mom's white gold band with my engagement ring. I know its are to see, but I really like the way this looks. I'm debating between a scroll design along the edge or just plain. This band is dome shaped, and I think I would like it flat instead.

This set looks gorgeous on your finger. I would go for the just plain design.

Magda
:wavey:

chicnhed

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Magda! I'm starting to think the same thing actually, the fiance and I were just talking about that last night. I think one thing we'd like to do (let me know what yall think):

My favorite color is a warm orangey pink and his is cobalt blue. Our wedding colors are pink and blue (and black and neutral beige and grey accents but that's irrelevant). We always thought that was neat and saw it as a 'boy meets girl' thing. So we were thinking about embedding a pink sapphire in my ring, and a blue on in his like in the the photo attached. Or maybe pink and blue diamonds if the budget can take it since they will be small? I know it wont really match my ering much, but we can't stop thinking about that idea. thoughts? Would it look good with a polished, flat white gold band?

10th carat diamond engagement ring set in a chunky 18k white gold ring.jpeg

magda72

Rough_Rock
I like your idea and your thoughts behind it, but I'm afraid that this ring won't really match your engagement ring.

Magda

chicnhed

Shiny_Rock
True it won't be 'matchy matchy,' but thats kinda what this thread is inadvertently about. I'm thinking though a simpler band will actually look good with it. kind of like wearing a bright colored patterned shirt with neutral khaki pants. contrast =)

chicnhed

Shiny_Rock
OKAY! we have the rings! 8mm white gold. He has a little blue sapphire, I have a pink one.

I LOVE them!!!!!! I love how it looks on me and it is extremely comfortable. I have slept in it, worked out in it, cooked, cleaned, showered, and been hot and swelly in it. No problems. None whatsoever. Also it may be hard to tell in the photos, but my diamond actually looks a lot bigger with the band. At least in person. I hear sleeves and straps are coming back in style for wedding dresses, why not big wedding bands? =)

I also LOVE how we match, and that we designed them. It gives the rings sooo much sentiment. We can't wait to wear them everyday.

202100_10150443693435472_752755471_17727136_5884226_o.jpg

P3270060.JPG

P3270061.JPG

P3270062.JPG

chicnhed

Shiny_Rock
more! I feel like it's like a crown for my finger when I looks at it. My engagement ring accents my wedding band (not the other way around) which was priority for me.

P3270063.JPG

P3270065.JPG

P3270067.JPG

P3270068.JPG

purplesilk

Ideal_Rock
Hi! :wavey:
I'm glad you're back to share pictures...I think you achieved your goal: a beautiful and unique wedding set! :appl:
Wear it in good health!

chicnhed

Shiny_Rock
Thanks purplesilk! I'm really happy with how they came out. They surpassed my expectations by far.

Lula

Ideal_Rock
I love those wide bands! And I think it's great that you found exactly what you were looking for. Personally, I think wide rings will become more popular again. My mother had a wide band that she wore with a classic Tiffany solitaire and it looked great -- sort of a "Mad Men" retro look.

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love your bands! Maybe if the price of gold ever comes down again, wide bands will come back in vogue.

For my 40th birthday, I bought myself a 6mm comfort fit yg band, to replace my original 3mm band that was too small in the warmer months. It looked great with my yg tiffany style solitaire. Unfortunately, it wasn't good quality and was banged up in no time. I replaced that when I reset my ering, with a band that conforms to my new split shank, but I still want a wider band for the days I don't wear my soliaire.

Mrs.W 514

Brilliant_Rock
I love that, that is a look you don't see everyday and you are rocking it!! Congratulations on your upcoming wedding!!

soocool

Ideal_Rock
My original wedding band is 6mm and I wore with my solitaire ER and it was very comfortable. DH and I had amtching ArtCarved bands and after 10 years we each got new diamond bands (non-matching). I upgraded my ER about 2 years ago and I sometimes wear my new ER withh my old band. Luckily, my ring size never changed in the 21+ years I have been married (ring size 4.75) even when I was pregnant.

ArtCarved has a lot of beautiful bands I believe up to 8.5 mm

http://artcarvedbridal.com/productcontent.do?cid=64&cid1=59&cid2=64&all=true#

hmr_mama

Brilliant_Rock
very, very pretty. and i too like the sentiment behind them/it.

turboflgrl

Shiny_Rock
I think that the wide band looks great on you since you have long fingers (and beautiful hands by the way!) But I can tell you that I did not pick my 2mm diamond band simply because it was about the diamond. I picked my band because it looked nice with my engagement ring and it was comfortable (I have short fingers so anything wider looks enormous on me). Yes, the band does tell everyone that we're married but remember that the wedding band doesn't make the marriage - the people do.

chicnhed

Shiny_Rock
turboflgrl|1301681748|2885307 said:
I think that the wide band looks great on you since you have long fingers (and beautiful hands by the way!) But I can tell you that I did not pick my 2mm diamond band simply because it was about the diamond. I picked my band because it looked nice with my engagement ring and it was comfortable (I have short fingers so anything wider looks enormous on me). Yes, the band does tell everyone that we're married but remember that the wedding band doesn't make the marriage - the people do.

Thanks for the compliment! I would hope no one thinks that their wedding band makes their marriage! Did I say that? No, I understand your reasoning for choosing a band like that--you and 99.9% of women right now. In fact my MOH just swtiched from a plain 6mm to a 2ish mm diamond band. I went a different route =) We really wanted our rings to match and for us to design them. He has HUGE hands, and I like wide bands so it worked out beautifully. It has nothing to do with our jewelry compensating for our marriage or relationship... it's a representation of it. So, we wanted it to mean something to us.

mrs taylor

Brilliant_Rock
I love how it came out! I could never pull that off with my short, squat fingers, and I envy those that can. Simply lovely.

magda72

Rough_Rock
magda72|1292595180|2799471 said:
I like your idea and your thoughts behind it, but I'm afraid that this ring won't really match your engagement ring.

Magda

First I was sceptical that your rings really match, but now... :appl: Your set is gorgeous. Congrats

Magda :wavey:

chicnhed

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Magda! Honestly it came out matching together better than I thought too! I a lot of it was FH's doing. He said he designed my e-ring to have this band, since he knew that's what I wanted, and that it would go together. Guess he knew what he was doing thankfully!

jeanette

Rough_Rock
I love wide bands, I wear one on each ring finger. On my right hand I wear a 12mm wide plain wide band. On my left I wear a 14mm wide white gold band sometimes I will put me emerald ring on with them. I have worn the 12mm band on my right hand since I was 14, it belonged to my Russian Grandmother
Here is a photo of another band i like as well.
Jeanette

i-1151531.jpg

magda72

Rough_Rock
jeanette|1305331354|2921242 said:
I love wide bands, I wear one on each ring finger. On my right hand I wear a 12mm wide plain wide band. On my left I wear a 14mm wide white gold band sometimes I will put me emerald ring on with them. I have worn the 12mm band on my right hand since I was 14, it belonged to my Russian Grandmother
Here is a photo of another band i like as well.
Jeanette

Wow, 12 and 14mm. Do you have hand shots??

Magda

jeanette

Rough_Rock
by magda72 I hope these work

MVC-173X.jpg small.jpg

jeanette.JPG

wide.jpg

jeanette.JPG

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results