shape
carat
color
clarity

show me some BIG wedding bands! suggestions?

chicnhed

Shiny_Rock
I'm actually looking to get a 8mm+ wedding band. probably custom designed, matching husbands, plain-ish, white gold. So im looking for ideas! My mom has a 9mm white gold plain band and it looks so elegant. There are so many tiny and 'set with the e-ring' bands now, and I know sometimes im going to wear just my wedding band. Also, I like the symbolism of your wedding band being larger than your engagement ring - after all whats more important here? Anyone else have anything similar or feel the same way?

Also! I attached a pic of my ring if anyone has any wedding band suggestions for me =D

SANY1475.jpeg

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My first wedding band is quite wide, not exactly sure how wide, but I measured them with a ruler and mine is around 7-8mm and hubbys matching band is around 8-9mm, there are 2 toned and carved (they were made in the late 1960's to early 1970's, I bought them used in 1984). I loved those rings, but I cant wear mine as I kinda gained weight and they cant be sized anymore...but I will say with the wider bands I noticed more irritation on my finger from where water would get "trapped" under the band and when and if your fingers swell at all they can get very uncomfortable...but gotta admit they scream married....if I get time (I should be working on Christmas decorations right now) I will try to take a picture and post them....

chicnhed

Shiny_Rock
diamondrnglover|1291395128|2786326 said:
My first wedding band is quite wide, not exactly sure how wide, but I measured them with a ruler and mine is around 7-8mm and hubbys matching band is around 8-9mm, there are 2 toned and carved (they were made in the late 1960's to early 1970's, I bought them used in 1984). I loved those rings, but I cant wear mine as I kinda gained weight and they cant be sized anymore...but I will say with the wider bands I noticed more irritation on my finger from where water would get "trapped" under the band and when and if your fingers swell at all they can get very uncomfortable...but gotta admit they scream married....if I get time (I should be working on Christmas decorations right now) I will try to take a picture and post them....

I always noticed my mom taking her ring off and drying her hands every time she washed her hands. I bet that's why she did that. Keep me posted if you find pics!

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I took some pictures this morning, but my camera is horrible, I need a new one so these arent great and I couldnt get the ring on at all this morning, my hands are always swollen in the mornings, normally I can get it on, but it is tight...we dont wear these anymore more, but we did wear them for about 15 years or so....here they are, I have only mastered one picture per reply so I will have to add more then one reply :wacko: excuse the crappy lighting....

bands 042.JPG

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
another, my attempt to put on this morning was not successful lol, my ring size is 8.5 this is probably sized at 7.5, another to keep in mind with wide bands you need to have them sized larger then what you normally wear, I cant remember but I think mine was sized almost an entire size larger then what I normally wore....

bands 044.JPG

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
last one, these are 2 toned, you just cant see that with the crappy lighting and camera, the inside and outer edge are white gold then "carved" part is yellow gold, they use to have a brushed gold finish on them but that long ago wore off.

bands 045.JPG

stci

Ideal_Rock
Problem is your ring will seem soooooo "petite" with a wide band like this!

If I was you, I would like to try this type of wedding band (jewelers).

chicnhed

Shiny_Rock
stci|1291514839|2787559 said:
Problem is your ring will seem soooooo "petite" with a wide band like this!

If I was you, I would like to try this type of wedding band (jewelers).

I don't mind my engagement ring being smaller than my wedding band. I like the idea of my e-ring being an accent to the wedding band, it makes more sense symbolically to me.

Also, It's important to me that my my wedding band match my husbands and he has some BIG hands! I'm going to try to post a photo of moms. Wide bands can be really elegant!

chicnhed

Shiny_Rock
diamondrnglover|1291467390|2787141 said:
last one, these are 2 toned, you just cant see that with the crappy lighting and camera, the inside and outer edge are white gold then "carved" part is yellow gold, they use to have a brushed gold finish on them but that long ago wore off.
I like those a lot! neat texture!

chicnhed

Shiny_Rock
Okay. Here is a really horrible low-quality camera phone photo of me wearing my mom's white gold band with my engagement ring. I know its are to see, but I really like the way this looks. I'm debating between a scroll design along the edge or just plain. This band is dome shaped, and I think I would like it flat instead.

image.jpg

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
At a job I had years ago, the bosses wife had a really super wide wedding band and then a thin ering-I loved how it looked. Hers was yellow gold and domed.

chicnhed

Shiny_Rock
packrat|1291645076|2788769 said:
At a job I had years ago, the bosses wife had a really super wide wedding band and then a thin engagement ring-I loved how it looked. Hers was yellow gold and domed.

I agree, I love it! I don't know why more women wear wide bands. I can't even go into a jewelry store and try anything on because they only have wide bands in men's sizes. Then, when I tell them what I'm looking for they just blink at me and hand me a tiny diamond band. It's insanely frustrating.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
For a long time I wanted to get a wide band for days when I didn't want to wear my ering. I did look at the Bev K rings but they had too much filigree for me. I wanted a solid band with engraving and it seems I could never find one. I suggest also trying to finding a design that inspires you and perhaps look into having one custom made. It would make such a statement and they might be able to tie it in with your ering a little bit more. Oh that would look beautiful! :appl:

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Before I decided on my kite set reset. I actually had tried on a 6mm pave diamond and pink sapphire ring, I took a picture of it, uploaded it, and somehow deleted it ;( otherwise I would have been able to post for you (but here is a picture from the jeweler's site), I actually loved the look (even though my fingers are pretty short, it wouldn't have stopped me :Up_to_something: ) I asked my jeweler also if they had a plain solitaire (thin band) so I can flanked it, I was really surprised that it actually complimented the solitaire look very well! I so say if you love the look, I would DEFINITELY do it!. This pave band was also the most comfy ring, prongs were sooo smooth. Its still on my wish list for anniversary ring one day or a middle finger RHR.
CTparagondtsapp.jpg

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Keep in mind the sizing factor....you willneed a bigger size in a band that is significantly wider than your Ering..and wearing two rings together will make your Ering tighter as well. You should definitely try on sizes with your Ering.

I recommend ordering some cheap bands from overstock.com in different widths and trying them out first.

Also, ditto on the liquid under the band. DH had his skin rub nearly raw from the ring after washing his hands-- it only took 3 days from our wedding day for that to happen... and his band is only 5-6mm

stci

Ideal_Rock
I'm sorry but I really don't like this set (your pic with mom band).

For me, this type of wedding band are made to wear alone + too wide for your finger. You have to play with the available space too.

Well the good thing is that she can wear whatever she wants or doesn't want! It would be too boring if everyone had the same wedding set :)

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
chicnhed|1291646555|2788788 said:
packrat|1291645076|2788769 said:
At a job I had years ago, the bosses wife had a really super wide wedding band and then a thin engagement ring-I loved how it looked. Hers was yellow gold and domed.

I agree, I love it! I don't know why more women wear wide bands. I can't even go into a jewelry store and try anything on because they only have wide bands in men's sizes. Then, when I tell them what I'm looking for they just blink at me and hand me a tiny diamond band. It's insanely frustrating.

One reason that I would not wear a wide band is because my fingers are VERY short and honestly, I think that would just look really silly on short fingers. You have wonderfully long fingers, so it looks beautiful on you. I love the dome shaped one, I'm curious how a flat one would look. Add some pics if you get the chance to try one on soon!

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
stci|1291691723|2789520 said:
I'm sorry but I really don't like this set (your pic with mom band).

For me, this type of wedding band are made to wear alone + too wide for your finger. You have to play with the available space too.

I'm going to kindly disagree with you. She has long fingers so in my opinion, she can pull this off. Someone with short fingers? Probably not so much.

reader

Brilliant_Rock
Have you tried antique stores? I have a wonderful, wide 18k rose gold band that we found for $80 five years ago...

chicnhed

Shiny_Rock
Sarahbear621|1291678973|2789250 said:
For a long time I wanted to get a wide band for days when I didn't want to wear my engagement ring. I did look at the Bev K rings but they had too much filigree for me. I wanted a solid band with engraving and it seems I could never find one. I suggest also trying to finding a design that inspires you and perhaps look into having one custom made. It would make such a statement and they might be able to tie it in with your engagement ring a little bit more. Oh that would look beautiful! :appl:

Actually! that is our plan A so far. My e-ring was custom so that is our main idea at the moment.

chicnhed

Shiny_Rock
bean|1291686941|2789433 said:
I recommend ordering some cheap bands from overstock.com in different widths and trying them out first.

That's a good idea! It's so hard to find them in jewelry stores around here

chicnhed

Shiny_Rock
bean|1291704652|2789665 said:
Well the good thing is that she can wear whatever she wants or doesn't want! It would be too boring if everyone had the same wedding set :)

Thank you! I completely agree--seems like people can get a little overly obsessed about diamonds being the largest thing on here and actually forget how beautiful the actual jewelry can be.

chicnhed

Shiny_Rock
Autumnovember|1291705323|2789671 said:
One reason that I would not wear a wide band is because my fingers are VERY short and honestly, I think that would just look really silly on short fingers. You have wonderfully long fingers, so it looks beautiful on you. I love the dome shaped one, I'm curious how a flat one would look. Add some pics if you get the chance to try one on soon!

Thank you!!! I will def post pics. I'm going to try on as many 7-9mm bands I can get my hands on!

chicnhed

Shiny_Rock
reader|1291708024|2789682 said:
Have you tried antique stores? I have a wonderful, wide 18k rose gold band that we found for $80 five years ago...

I haven't! I'll have to drop in to some when I visit my hometown in Central Virginia (TONS of antiques!). That's a good idea!

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My husband and I chose to have the same style wedding band -- a plain 7mm 14kt White Gold comfort-fit half-dome band which we engraved with a personal sentiment. Back when we married, I didn't want a diamond engagement ring (what was I thinking?) so I only wore the wedding band. But a few years ago I received an engagement-style ring as an anniversary gift - a 1.25ct cushion in a simple Tiffany-style solitaire setting. The solitaire ring is a little big for me and I am loathe to have it sized, so most of the time I wear a 2mm band, then the solitaire ring, then my wide band -- I like how this looks on me, and my husband likes it too. I admit I also like the fact that it is a fairly unique wedding set arrangement, which has its own appeal.

And you're right, the wide-band look for women is unusual - even where I see women wearing only a wedding band it is usually no more than 3mm or 4mm wide. Certainly hand and finger size has something to do with this, but also I think trends or fashion or tradition. I've always considered a wedding set to be an expression of love and of personality. Practically speaking, it is also jewelry meant to be worn daily. Whether or not I wear the solitaire, I always wear the wedding band - and if I take off the wedding band (for gucky chores or whatever), I am aware of its absence and do not feel complete until I put the band back on. I think it is lovely you are looking at a variety of bands and considering which most suit you and your fiance -- good luck, and please post pics once you decide!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results