shape
carat
color
clarity

Should I go bigger……??

Mrs Flowers

Shiny_Rock
As some of you know I recently ventured Into the world of lab diamonds and I ordered a pair of gorgeous lab grown studs from James Allen which are just amazing. Now should I go bigger while I’m still in the return period? Darn DSS. Is the size difference between my WF acas .74 and these new JA studs .94 and .93 a big enough difference? Suggestions highly welcome 3D79FE01-F8CF-4B54-9910-1DEA9FC3B3CE.png

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How about adding a pair of LGD earring jackets to add more bling without breaking the piggy bank?

DK :))

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Do you have a max budget over the refund/trade amount in mind?

Mrs Flowers

Shiny_Rock
Do you have a max budget over the refund/trade amount in mind?

I guess I’d be willing to go to 3500$ setting included if that’s even doable. Do you guys think I SHOULD in fact go bigger?

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I guess I’d be willing to go to 3500$ setting included if that’s even doable. Do you guys think I SHOULD in fact go bigger?

Personally, I believe it depends on how they would sit on your earlobes.

Any chance of ear shots of your different earrings for comparison please?

This is my stud about 0.49ct bezel set 6mm in diameter, worn with a jacket, overall diameter is 12mm.

The stud on its own is too small for my big fat earlobe for my liking.

I would like a pair of LGDs in hexagonal step cut about 10mm in its longest dimension as seen in Ouros's Etsy site. Or a pair of 8mm OEC LGDs.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I think for $3500 setting included, you can get at least 0.2mm more for each stud. 0.2mm is where it starts to be noticeable to the naked eye, so compared to your 0.74s, it'll be even more noticeable. Only you can say if that's worth the extra cost.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
How about these?
They're both right around 6.5mm spread.

Last edited:

Mrs Flowers

Shiny_Rock
Personally, I believe it depends on how they would sit on your earlobes.

Any chance of ear shots of your different earrings for comparison please?

This is my stud about 0.49ct bezel set 6mm in diameter, worn with a jacket, overall diameter is 12mm.

studwithjacket.jpg

The stud on its own is too small for my big fat earlobe for my liking.

I would like a pair of LGDs in hexagonal step cut about 10mm in its longest dimension as seen in Ouros's Etsy site. Or a pair of 8mm OEC LGDs.

Alrighty. Here are some ear shots. .74 f aca followed by .94 d lab stud .. I see à difference. Do you guys think it’s enough of a difference? CD0B9CBF-1D20-403D-A5FB-4BC372432C71.png C4E6D009-1C79-4998-BAC2-94D85C6C9547.png

Mrs Flowers

Shiny_Rock
How about these?

These are exquisite of course. Thank you for looking.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
These are exquisite of course. Thank you for looking.

You're very welcome, Mrs F.
I did just make a slight edit...took out the 1.01 and snuck in a 1.02 that I think is slightly better matched to the 1.05

I can see the difference in spread from your pictures, so moving up another 0.2mm will definitely be noticable.

Mrs Flowers

Shiny_Rock
Alrighty. Here are some ear shots. .74 f aca followed by .94 d lab stud .. I see à difference. Do you guys think it’s enough of a difference? CD0B9CBF-1D20-403D-A5FB-4BC372432C71.png C4E6D009-1C79-4998-BAC2-94D85C6C9547.png

In these ear shots it looks like the JA studs are actually outperforming the mined ACA. What do you guys see?

Mrs Flowers

Shiny_Rock
You're very welcome, Mrs F.
I did just make a slight edit...took out the 1.01 and snuck in a 1.02 that I think is slightly better matched to the 1.05

I can see the difference in spread from your pictures, so moving up another 0.2mm will definitely be noticable.

Will it be enough of a difference to justify another $500 ?? Will 0.2 mm really be that much of a difference?

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Will it be enough of a difference to justify another $500 ?? Will 0.2 mm really be that much of a difference?

Solely your call.
Personally, I'd return the existing pair and save up enough for $2000-2200 per diamond and target a 7mm spread each or go with LightBox Finest 1ct for $1500 each, if I were wanting to go bigger yet. But that's me.
Your existing 6.3mm LGD pair is absolutely stunning and a noticable increase!

Mrs Flowers

Shiny_Rock
Solely your call.
Personally, I'd return the existing pair and save up enough for $2000-2200 per diamond and target a 7mm spread each or go with LightBox Finest 1ct for $1500 each, if I were wanting to go bigger yet. But that's me.
Your existing 6.3mm LGD pair is absolutely stunning and a noticable increase!

Thank you for your advice!! I do agree. My current LGDs are quite stunning and it’s a very difficult choice.

Personally, an additionally $500 for 0.2mm would be worth it to me if I have the funds for it. But OTOH, I'd get paranoid that I won't find a larger pair right now that I love as much as the smaller ones. Then I'd be stuck with the less amazing pair and out another $500 on top of that...

Mrs Flowers

Shiny_Rock
Personally, an additionally $500 for 0.2mm would be worth it to me if I have the funds for it. But OTOH, I'd get paranoid that I won't find a larger pair right now that I love as much as the smaller ones. Then I'd be stuck with the less amazing pair and out another $500 on top of that...

Exactly. This pair is exceptional. And it is perfect for everyday wear even with jeans and a sweatshirt. I don’t frequent any fancy outings and my life is pretty low key so these might just be perfect. If I want to bling out I always have my aca with jackets I can wear.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How about these?

Nice finds, DejaWiz! I kind of even prefer your original 1.01 pick with the 1.05.

In these ear shots it looks like the JA studs are actually outperforming the mined ACA. What do you guys see?

I agree, the JA studs look more sparkly and lively, but they are also facing the camera a little more directly than the ACAs and so might have a slight advantage there.

chere

Shiny_Rock
Every 0.01mm counts! My Lightbox stones are 6.43 and 6.35mm wide. It’s only a 0.08mm difference between the stones but I can see it. And when I wear them, they feel small compared to my 6.5mm CZs. I’ve only had them a few weeks and still feel DSS. But my wallet says get over it and move on to the next project. They give enough coverage and they sit low to my ear.

I would do it for an extra $500 but it depends on how over budget and what do you need to give up?

Can you get the larger stones shipped to you before the return window of the studs you have? You can compare them side by side and then decide.

The stone on the left is 6.43mm and the stone on the right is 6.35mm.

Dacko Studs 2.jpg

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
Purely my personal opinion but I can’t see a great difference in size. I have a pair which is about 1ct total and a pair which is about 2ct total. I wouldn’t have gone for anything in between because I like to notice the difference. And I wear them on different occasions. If I were you I’d size up.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Alrighty. Here are some ear shots. .74 f aca followed by .94 d lab stud .. I see à difference. Do you guys think it’s enough of a difference?

But the ear is a very different size (proximity to lens) in each photo so it biases the on-ear difference, imo...

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes I can see a difference and believe the larger size does look better on your ear; however, I personally do not believe it justifies a 500 USD price.

Mrs Flowers

Shiny_Rock
I thought the same even in the close up shot (not on ear) but I just figured the ACAs were dirty. To answer your other question- if you CAN go bigger then absolutely do so! :lol::lol:

I just recently cleaned them. Maybe not well enough. Runs to clean her ACAs :bigsmile::bigsmile::bigsmile:

Mrs Flowers

Shiny_Rock
Personally, I think the extra .2mm size is worth $500. You don’t want to ‘have’ to buy another pair a year from now because you didn’t spend the extra $$ now. And I don’t think ~1ct would be too big.

That what I was thinking but then I think to myself I’m just nitpicking and being spoiled. Sign.

Mrs Flowers

Shiny_Rock
But the ear is a very different size (proximity to lens) in each photo so it biases the on-ear difference, imo...

You’re right. I see what you mean. I’m a bad photographer. Ear shots are hard

Mrs Flowers

Shiny_Rock
Every 0.01mm counts! My Lightbox stones are 6.43 and 6.35mm wide. It’s only a 0.08mm difference between the stones but I can see it. And when I wear them, they feel small compared to my 6.5mm CZs. I’ve only had them a few weeks and still feel DSS. But my wallet says get over it and move on to the next project. They give enough coverage and they sit low to my ear.

I would do it for an extra $500 but it depends on how over budget and what do you need to give up?

Can you get the larger stones shipped to you before the return window of the studs you have? You can compare them side by side and then decide.

The stone on the left is 6.43mm and the stone on the right is 6.35mm.

Dacko Studs 2.jpg

I DO see a difference surprisingly.

Mrs Flowers

Shiny_Rock
What do you guys think about G colored lab stones. Do you think they are too low in the color grade and thus can appear brown?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results