color
clarity

Should I get a big heated darker blue?

Should I get a big heated darker blue?

• Yes do it, heat is not evil at all, you must complete the collection

Votes: 14 87.5%
  • Don’t be foolish, just wear the existing small one

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Buy a smaller unheated! The size of your stones is getting ridiculous!

Votes: 1 6.3%

• Total voters
@Autumn in New England if you’re sitting in a normal room, at night, with normal lights on, is the blue pretty much the same shade?

I haz a distrust of deeper blues! Not yours, just deeper blues in general! I worry they darken! One reads all kinds of heebie jeebies about how they go black or grey.

I owned a few fine but deeper blues before this one, and they'd always let me down in one light or another. I purposely went all out with this one to avoid that, so she'd be my last blue sapphire. She has never disappointed me... low light, sun light, and everything in between... even incandescents. You'll notice she has a touch of that velvet luminosity, but without the heavy silk. These aren't glamour shots; she literally glows. I feel like a proper Burma blue can stand toe-to-toe with Kashmir stones (so don't feel like you neeeed to pay a premium for an Indian stone... as you know, Ceylon sapphires are also quite nice, if sometimes a bit lighter).

As I've said before, a blue sapphire had better leap out at you in photos/videos for it be truly vivid in person. And here's the key, IMO... not only must you aim for a 6+ saturation. You also need to shoot for a solid 5 tone or a 6 max. I think it's much easier to nail the saturation than the tone. As saturation deepens, so too does the tone oftentimes. Naturally, cut is also very important. This was not the shape I wanted (a chubby oval), but Inken had it recut to maximize its brilliance without sacrificing much weight. A small compromise (or two) is usually in order! I can't wait to see which stone ends up speaking to you!!

Hmmm I’m balking about heat again. I mean it’s okay right?

Or do I go tasteful smaller deeper blue no heat cuz Bulbasaur is no heat?

Or screw it, big as I can with heat cuz Bulbasaur is unheated?

I like what the GIA coursework teaches us about heat... we're simply finishing what the earth would have done had we not prematurely removed it from its cozy little geothermal oven.
1236081tb3iq7boii.gif

i have horrible dark blues that are really midnight blue that no one including me want to see

lol Some folks really love those midnights blues, so don't feel bad! Plus, I also like to collect cabochons, which I know you love too. Take lapis, for example... so affordable, but is also about as vivid an ultramarine shade as you can find on earth!! Annnnnd you can buy giants stones.
egyptian.gif

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for laying out everything very thoroughly Autumn! It helps a lot! I just need to be careful not to buy the same things over and over again! I tend to have that tendency when it comes to colours!

Thanks for laying out everything very thoroughly Autumn! It helps a lot! I just need to be careful not to buy the same things over and over again! I tend to have that tendency when it comes to colours!

I think most people do! Me? I refuse to have duplicate colors. I'll have two of the same stone, of course, but not the same color "category," if that makes sense. So a light blue and dark blue are perfectly acceptable.
nerd.gif
Or like a pinkish-red and orangey-red are fine. I don't know... I'm a bit touched!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results