Should I buy this tiny blue diamond?

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/28/2010 8:17:22 AM
Author: Chrono

Date: 6/27/2010 3:30:55 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
No question is dumb!! Blue fluor to me isn''t really that blue, but more like very bright white in sunlight. I would think that would inhibit the saturation of blue color when explosed to UV light, but I''m not sure. Hopefully a colored diamond expert will chime in. I know yellow fluor really enhances the yellow color of fancy yellows, so that''s a good thing in the case of yellows, but I can''t imagine blue fluor helping a blue diamond''s saturation, but inhibiting it instead.
I have seen strong blue fluorescence of colorless diamonds natural sunlight and it looks to have a lavender or bluish tint. Therefore, I would think it will be the same for a blue diamond, in that it will make it appear bluer. Under UV, a coloulress diamond with blue fluorescence will glow blue. You can check RT for example pictures of blue fluorescence of colourless diamonds under UV and natural sunlight.
Absolutely. If you search on my name you''ll find my I colour pear diamond with strong blue fluor that has a blue tinge in strong sunlight.

On the other hand, my Chameleon has green fluor (or yellow, I can''t remember which now) and it doesn''t seem to alter the colour BUT in all honesty it''s difficult to say as the Chameleon reacts to different lights anyway!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/28/2010 1:44:12 PM
Author: brandy_z28

Date: 6/25/2010 1:04:10 AM
Author:kenny
What do you think?

I''d rather get a Vivid with better clarity but the price would be even higher or it would have to be even smaller.
Plus the selection of naturally-blue diamonds really sux.
39.gif

The sapphire-like depth of the blue is hypnotizing and carries me away.

Link
What would it hurt to take a look at this one in person? Are returns easy enough?

ETA: Another Libra checking in!
35.gif
Shipping something that expensive is never easy, and if you send it registered and insured, that''s pricey in of itself.

That''s why I wish more colored diamond vendors would use videos.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/27/2010 12:02:20 AM
Author: iLander
Here are my astrological generalities (not warranty, neither expressed nor implied):

@Movie: Pisces are hard to pin down, they tend to adapt to the people around them pretty well. Pretty bright.

Please, everyone, also check your rising signs and get back to me (LOL) : http://www.horoscopeswithin.com/calculate.php Many times it''s the rising sign that weighs heavier on a personality.
gemini rising.....

big sigh.

mz

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/27/2010 12:02:20 AM
Author: iLander
Here are my astrological generalities (not warranty, neither expressed nor implied):
@Movie: Pisces are hard to pin down, they tend to adapt to the people around them pretty well. Pretty bright.
2.gif

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/28/2010 2:46:57 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover

Date: 6/28/2010 1:44:12 PM
Author: brandy_z28

Date: 6/25/2010 1:04:10 AM
Author:kenny
What do you think?

I''d rather get a Vivid with better clarity but the price would be even higher or it would have to be even smaller.
Plus the selection of naturally-blue diamonds really sux.
39.gif

The sapphire-like depth of the blue is hypnotizing and carries me away.

Link
What would it hurt to take a look at this one in person? Are returns easy enough?

ETA: Another Libra checking in!
35.gif
Shipping something that expensive is never easy, and if you send it registered and insured, that''s pricey in of itself.

That''s why I wish more colored diamond vendors would use videos.
True, didn''t think of it that way. Just noticed the no questions 30 day return policy and didn''t have anything to go by in order to add the shipping costs into it. I have no experience with shipping stones over $400.
2.gif

ebloui

Rough_Rock
Hi Kenny, I am a newcomer here, and I just read with great interest this entire thread.

Is it still alive i.e., am I going to get an answer if I post something here about this particular (or any other) "tiny blue diamond"?

Or may be should I rather create a new thread?

Regards

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ebloui|1325003782|3089292 said:
Hi Kenny, I am a newcomer here, and I just read with great interest this entire thread.

Is it still alive i.e., am I going to get an answer if I post something here about this particular (or any other) "tiny blue diamond"?

Or may be should I rather create a new thread?

Regards

Go ahead and post.

I love learning/talking about colored diamonds.

ebloui

Rough_Rock
Kenny, thanks for your kind invitation to share.

As you wrote yourself in another thread, "I do not understand my irrational addiction to these things, but here we go". Actually, there would be much to say about my own fascination, so I guess you have found a match here!

As Imdanny wrote it here before, "I like the idea of you having a blue diamond. It would be like having a small Hope Diamond" . This obsession has finally come to an end as I just bought the tiny deep blue that Reddiam (.com) is using as a banner on their own blue diamond section (you can also see the details of that stone at the bottom of the second page in their "recently sold section").

NB If I knew how to upload a picture, then I would drop it here. May be, you could teach me how to do that...

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations.
That is a beautiful diamond you bought. http://www.reddiam.com/diamonds_in.aspx?id=64
Wow! What a gorgeous deep blue color!!!
I also have a 0.08 ct diamond and when the color is very fine the size is not a problem for me.

To post a pic . . .

First be sure it is a jpg or png file that has a file size of under 2 MB.

While starting a new thread or posting a reply, scroll down below the large text box and click on the blue tab for "upload attachment"
Click on "Choose File"
Find your picture file's name and double click on it (or click once to highlight it then click "Choose")
Click on "add the file"
Wait for file to upload to PS.
Click on "submit"

Do you have other FCDs?
I'd also love to see pics you took. :love:

I'd recommend you start a new thread announcing your new colored diamond purchase.
More people will open a new thread than an old one.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It may just be an amazing coincidence but yours may have been cut from the same rough as the deep blue diamond in my OP.
The color looks close and the dates on the two diamonds' GIA reports are only 7 days apart.

ebloui

Rough_Rock
I am learning slowly to find my way here, and I managed to post in my profile a picture of my own "tiny blue".

I still however do not understand all the mysteries of this site ... for instance, I got SIX email notifications of a single (Kenny's last) post, the first notification containing many more lines than her actual post does. Does this means it was shortened by the moderator because it did include personal info?

Anyway, I was able to look at the various stages of Kenny's fancy coloured diamond collection. There I recognized one stone i.e., the 16 pt oval vivid blue that she once owned, and that I happened to see in person (i.e. for real) when I visited Leibish about two weeks ago. This stone was presented to me in such a glaring light that it did not look that much vivid , in any case not quite like it does in the pictures. Interestingly enough, the 17 pt oval intense blue that I saw next to it looked almost as nice, if not more... and for a third of the price! But I did not buy it, because I had a rende-vous with somebody else, who eventually did fulfill all my expectations.

(to be continued)

PS Kenny, I just received notice of your last post, and though I am given an opportunity to review my own new post , I let it go like it is.
I will return to a more personal tone later, if it is ok with the moderator!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ebloui - I'm not sure what you meant by "personal tone" but please be careful and don't add personal information as this is a public site and there isn't a facility to message each other. Emails and other information is removed by moderators (and even if they didn't, it wouldn't be wise to post information like that on this forum). On another note, Kenny is one of our resident gemstone loving men!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ebloui, I think I know what's happening.
I believe you may have accidentally subscribed to either me or to this thread, which means you'll get an email every time I post or edit.
I edit my posts a great deal, sorry. :oops:

My first response to you here in this thread originally contained a lot more information regarding the blue that I started this tread about (my personal experience with this lovely stone) .

Then I realized that since I bought it and returned it, then it later was sold to someone else, that YOU might be the new owner - so I deleted much of what I wrote since a new owner may not appreciate all that history, especially if it became an engagement diamond.
I see now that you were not the new buyer of that stone.

Nothing I wrote would have been moderated out (I know because I've been moderated a great deal.)

To unsubscribe click on the "unsubscribe to user" thingie, which I think will be under my avatar.

ebloui

Rough_Rock
"It may just be an amazing coincidence but yours may have been cut from the same rough as the deep blue diamond in my OP"

Very interesting question indeed!

According to the specs included in the other thread, I do not see any deep blue listed there. Are you refering to the pear that one can see in your pictures? Do you have a link to that stone?

At present, I do not own any other coloured diamond. I had the following ring

http://www.fancydiamonds.net/view_diamonds/4631.htm

made for me about a year ago, but eventually I traded it against my new stone that I just bought two weeks ago, and for which I am having a new ring made here by a local jeweller.

I did not get the picture of your 28 pt intense blue, but I guess it must be this one

http://www.fancydiamonds.net/view_diamonds/4637.htm

As I considered buying that stone when it appeared on the Leibish site, I really wonder how it does look for real. My experience now is that pictures generally do not reflect true colours. I did visit Langermann in Antwerpen too, and I came to the same conclusions.

PS What does OP stand for? BTW, I speak french and I am located in Europe

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nice ring, I have admired that.

OP can stand for opening post, original post, or original poster (the person who started the thread).
Here I meant the 0.12 Fancy Deep Blue Emerald Cut diamond my opening post.

Yes, I currently own the 0.28 ct Fancy Intense Blue Emerald Cut you linked to.
It is the third pure blue I've owned and overall I like it the best even thought it has the weakest color of the three.
I may upgrade if a nice Vivid or Deep Blue if an Emerald Cut ever floats by.

GIA seems to be more forgiving with the saturation of blues.
Compared to other colors some surprisingly-pale blues get grades of Intense, and Vivid and Deep.

I didn't really care for it in the pic but when I saw it live at the Jewelry Trade Show in Las Vegas this summer I immediately grabbed it.
There is something very wonderful and classic about an emerald cut and this is a very lively one.
Its length to width ration is perfect to me, and since it has a 56% depth it faces up large for 0.28 ct.
In the pic below compare it to my 0.27 Fancy Deep Purplish Pink Emerald cut which looks much smaller than 1 point smaller because it is very deep, at 83.6%.

The pic below is my collection today, but one has been added since this pic, a 0.21 ct D IF ideal-cut round.
It's nice to have a very white diamond for color reference in an FCD collection.
The blue looks too deep in this pic but the greyish-violet pear does not look deep enough; it's near impossible to get an accurate pic when FCDs of several colors are in the same pic.

19.png

ebloui

Rough_Rock
What a wonderful picture, it will make my day... thanks again for sharing !

I understand quite well why you did fall for the 28 pt intense emerald cut, it does have such a classic look, and it is substantially larger than the 12 pt deep blue that you did return. At first, I was looking myself for an emerald cut, and I went to Antwerpen to see this stone

http://www.langerman-diamonds.com/shop/diamond/1907

of which below is another picture they sent me later

At the same time, I was also shown this stone

http://www.langerman-diamonds.com/shop/diamond/1928/Blue-diamond-Square-048-ct-polished_Diamond

This second stone was just so fascinating, with sparkles of blue scintillating in the day light, but much too expensive for me. I could not settle for the lesser one, so I did not buy anything at that time.

Am I correct in assuming that the two blue stones appearing in the picture below

are the ones that you are talking about (i.e the 12 pt deep and the 28 pt intense)?

1907.jpg

1928.jpg

fancy-colored-diamonds.jpg

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a wonderful thing that you can travel to see the FCDs live!
That's the ultimate!

While I love the baby blue color of those two you posted I prefer the chamfered corner facets of step cuts to have straight rather than curved edges.
I also prefer them to taper symmetrically to a sharp precise point at the culet.
The cutting of those two look rather blobby and sloppy to me.

I took the third pic you posted but, wow, it is really over-saturated.
I hope that's is some artifact of the copying process and not me. :oops:

The little Deep Blue Emerald Cut in the middle IS the 0.12 ct diamond that I started this thread with, but the Emerald Cut on the right is not the 0.28 ct Fancy Intense Blue I own today.
IIRC it was a Greenish Blue that I temporarily owned.

That large yellow crushed ice heart also went back.
I LOVE Leibish's return policy.
They understand that is really hard to decide on FCDs from pics, no matter how good they are.
FCDs are living, moving, changing things that you must meet in person, much like people.

I also no longer own that pear, but rather the smaller but slightly fatter Fancy Intense Greenish Blue in my pic above.
It has a much better and more even color that glows like a paraiba tourmaline.
At only 8-points, it is my smallest diamond but is my favorite color of all.

ebloui

Rough_Rock
Thanks for this kind advice, as a novice here I really do appreciate it.

Does this mean, one cannot know the wereabouts of people sharing interests here, in order for instance to have a chance to meet them when travelling to their country?

ebloui

Rough_Rock
LD|1325018087|3089501 said:
Ebloui - I'm not sure what you meant by "personal tone" but please be careful and don't add personal information as this is a public site and there isn't a facility to message each other. Emails and other information is removed by moderators (and even if they didn't, it wouldn't be wise to post information like that on this forum). On another note, Kenny is one of our resident gemstone loving men!

Thanks for this kind advice, as a novice here I really do appreciate it.

Does this mean, one cannot know the wereabouts of people sharing interests here, in order for instance to have a chance to meet them when travelling to their country?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A naturally colored Fancy Deep Blue diamond with a GIA report is quite a purchase for a "novice".

Since diamonds are so valuable there is potential for crime (which is magnified by the world-wide reach of the Internet).
I believe concern for our security is behind Pricescope's policy of not allowing members to exchange personal information and the lack of a private message feature.

While this unfortunately prevents contact between kindred spirits from a very small, passionate and specialized community, it does thwart crime and also limits Pricescope's exposure to liability.

ebloui

Rough_Rock
Kenny, many thanks for all the details you just provided. It is very instructive to follow the way you did construct this fantastic FCD collection. I confess a great admiration for the result.

Have you ever considered "wearing" one of your diamonds in any way, for instance on a ring, tie pin, and so on ?

As a final contribution to this thread (for the time being, at least), I think it appropriate, for those who don't know it yet, to tell what happened to the tiny blue diamond that started it all...

http://www.fancydiamonds.net/view_diamonds/5089.htm

fancy-deep-blue-emerald-diamond-rings-c5112.aa169.jpg

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ebloui|1325030594|3089640 said:
Kenny, many thanks for all the details you just provided. It is very instructive to follow the way you did construct this fantastic FCD collection. I confess a great admiration for the result.

Have you ever considered "wearing" one of your diamonds in any way, for instance on a ring, tie pin, and so on?

Thanks ebloui.
Sometimes I consider setting the Green round OEC in a ring :naughty: but then it would leave a hole in the collection. :blackeye:
It may not make sense but I like seeing them in a circle in a display box, arranged in a rainbow.
The overall effect is greater than the sum of the individual parts.

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
Kenny, you could get someone brilliant to set the entire thing as one rainbow with your colourless in the middle. Ask for a very white metal alloy and consider how you could set it in place. :))

Notice how I didn't try to imagine what kind of piece of jewelry could hold your entire little rainbow

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results