clarity

Should I buy this tiny blue diamond?

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Noo you have an Aries here ;-)

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
TL, I've seen the Hope diamond. I enjoyed that!

The other one, no- I don't think it was there when I went.

Maybe I was too young to be discerning but I didn't have any complaints.
3.gif

Nice spinel, BTW! I
30.gif
spinels of every color.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/26/2010 9:00:06 PM
Author: Imdanny
TL, I''ve seen the Hope diamond. I enjoyed that!

The other one, no- I don''t think it was there when I went.

Maybe I was too young to be discerning but I didn''t have any complaints.
3.gif

Nice spinel, BTW! I
30.gif
spinels of every color.
Oh thank you Danny. Slightly off topic (sorry Kenny) but I had to tell you that I LOVE your avatar, and I''m now very sad when I see it becaue that show just had it''s finale and I''m THE BIGGEST FAN!!!

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/26/2010 7:03:30 PM
Author: crasru
Oh My God! I wish I saw this Burmese before I ordered my sapphire! But unfortunately, Ed did not even put it into his latest newsletter! Darn!
crasru - This EC sapphire has been on Ed''s site for a while. I periodically do a search of wildfish just looking for Ed''s "Excellent" ratings. I love ECs and this pretty sapphire is easy to remember.
2.gif
3.gif

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/26/2010 9:02:54 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
Date: 6/26/2010 9:00:06 PM

Author: Imdanny

TL, I've seen the Hope diamond. I enjoyed that!

The other one, no- I don't think it was there when I went.

Maybe I was too young to be discerning but I didn't have any complaints.
3.gif

Nice spinel, BTW! I
30.gif
spinels of every color.

Oh thank you Danny. Slightly off topic (sorry Kenny) but I had to tell you that I LOVE your avatar, and I'm now very sad when I see it becaue that show just had it's finale and I'm THE BIGGEST FAN!!!

I think Kenny will forgive us! Thanks. I like this crown a lot. I like gold crowns. People today lurve the platinum but don't tell anyone- I like gold better!

I have a link about the crowns, tiaras, and regalia used in the filming of the Tudors. I'll try to find it and post it on the Royal Jewels thread for you!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Danny!!

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/26/2010 8:56:37 PM
Author: RockHugger
RockHugger,

I knew it! My mother was an Aries, and many of my friends are Arians as well!

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Lol that''s cause us Aries are the coolest people ever lol j/k

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/26/2010 9:54:25 PM
Author: crasru
Date: 6/26/2010 8:56:37 PM

RockHugger,

I knew it! My mother was an Aries, and many of my friends are Arians as well!

I''m not touching that one!

I can accept a grey modifier in blue diamond if I have to; unfortunately I don''t have to.
15.gif

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/26/2010 9:58:42 PM
Lol that''s cause us Aries are the coolest people ever lol j/k
Agree! And also make good friends with Sagittarians!

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Here are my astrological generalities (not warranty, neither expressed nor implied):

@ Kenny: Libras are generally good looking and like posh, finer things. That explains the blue diamond and probably a wine buff.

@ Freke: Taurus AND Aries?! Not anyone I want to argue with. Ever. Pretty flamboyant and showy.

@ Vapid: Scorpio explains the concentration and dedication to your projects. Little intense, are we? :)

@Movie: Pisces are hard to pin down, they tend to adapt to the people around them pretty well. Pretty bright.

@ Crasru: Sagittarius have always been friendly and warm, in my view. Love comfort and softness.

@ Rockhugger: Aries tend to go head on toward something, never around a problem, very direct. Leadership tendencies.

It''s late, did I miss anyone? These are all my personal observations over the years, dealing with people.

I''m an Aquarius. We tend to be accepting of most people and things, tend to have a child-like quality, but are fairly blunt. It''s hard to find an Aquarian snob.

Now I will wait for the Aries and Tauruses to argue with me. LOL!

Please, everyone, also check your rising signs and get back to me (LOL) : http://www.horoscopeswithin.com/calculate.php Many times it''s the rising sign that weighs heavier on a personality.

Kenny- sorry for the threadjack. Go ahead and buy the emerald cut. You''re right, diamonds are the only thing I''ve ever bought that actually increased in value.

soberguy

Brilliant_Rock
I have seen a few natural fancy blue diamonds. There is nothing like them in my opinion, so owning one isn''t at all like owning a sapphire, spinel, or zircon. They really have their own energy. I say buy one that knocks your socks off.

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
I am a colored diamond lover first and foremost, so I understand the desire to own a certain color in a stone even if tiny---there is really nothing else that would truly fill your needs. I would ask for other photos of both stones(this seller is very willing to accommodate in that area and their photos tend to be very good representations of what you will actually receive). Out of the two I like the first for it''s cut and the second for it''s color. I am worried the first will be overly dark and the second overly windowed. If after looking at additional photos of the first and if it is not overly dark, go with that one-good luck with the purchase and I will be waiting for photos of the stone you end up purchasing :) I too have been looking again this week at blue diamonds because the longer I wait the higher the prices seem to get!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
iLander, my rising sign is Gemini. I''m super Taurean--very very stubborn.

I married a Gemini btw.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
haha I''m a Scorpio too-now I understand why I''m so obsessed when I want to start a new project. Yay Vapid!

What did you decide to do Kenny?

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kenny - my apologies, I only read the first page of this thread so I may be out of touch with any decision you''ve made but here''s my two penny worth!

The first EC is a gorgeous colour for a natural blue diamond. The colour is exceptionally good, hence the price (as you obviously know). I suspect this diamond will look much better in real life. If anything it may be a tiny bit too dark but I would most certainly get it for a look.

The second is windowed beyond belief AND doesn''t have such a good colour. It actually doesn''t look like a blue diamond and could be a number of other gemstones. For me, this one is the poor relation.

They''re both small but as that doesn''t bother you and if you have the budget, your comments in your first post about how the colour affects you when you look at it, makes it THE purchase for you.

Forget it when people say you can buy a sapphire/spinel/tourmaline blah blah blah for less money - that''s not what you want! You want a natural blue diamond so why go for a substitute?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
People have suggested that something better may come along, so I think I'm going to hold tight for now.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You know, I'm going to disagree with most people in that I think as far as saturation of color goes, #1 could be a lot better. You had said it looks like a sapphire to you, well not to me, except a very mediocre sapphire. It's just too grey and dark. I find the second one, although it has a greenish secondary, to be more saturated. If it didn't have a huge window, I would probably prefer it over #1, but I think the color of #1 is probably more like the Hope, which I believe is graded a fancy deep as well. I believe that color is probably more preferred in the trade, but is it more saturated than #2?

Now, that being said, I know from my experience with colored diamonds, that looking at the color on a two dimensional image really doesn't allow for a good idea of the color and true beauty of the gem. This is probably more true for diamonds than any other gem. I wish all these vendors of colored diamonds would provide videos because I feel that would show the truer color and scintillation of the stone. Is it possible that he can provide you a video of that stone or any others that you would like to see? Also, please ask about fluorescence, as it does affect the color of some gems, sometimes adversely or it can be a good thing. In blue diamonds, I would imagine it wouldn't be a good thing for it to fluor.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/27/2010 2:04:29 PM
Author: kenny
People have suggested that something better may come along, so I think I''m going to hold tight for now.
and as you noted earlier, you will watch the prices go up.

mz

ps however, at the price of the first one, it may be on the market for awhile!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
BTW,
I love Arthur Langerman's site. The prices are still high, but it's a fun site to browse.

In your face array of the various colors of fancy blues.
1.gif

http://www.langerman-diamonds.com/shop/catalog/all/Blue_Diamonds

Also check out his blog, as he has additional amazing photos there. It may give you some ideas in your search.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/27/2010 2:17:29 PM
You know, I''m going to disagree with most people in that I think as far as saturation of color goes, #1 could be a lot better. You had said it looks like a sapphire to you, well not to me, except a very mediocre sapphire. It''s just too grey and dark. I find the second one, although it has a greenish secondary, to be more saturated. If it didn''t have a huge window, I would probably prefer it over #1, but I think the color of #1 is probably more like the Hope, which I believe is graded a fancy deep as well. I believe that color is probably more preferred in the trade, but is it more saturated than #2?

Now, that being said, I know from my experience with colored diamonds, that looking at the color on a two dimensional image really doesn''t allow for a good idea of the color and true beauty of the gem. This is probably more true for diamonds than any other gem. I wish all these vendors of colored diamonds would provide videos because I feel that would show the truer color and scintillation of the stone. Is it possible that he can provide you a video of that stone or any others that you would like to see? Also, please ask about fluorescence, as it does affect the color of some gems, sometimes adversely or it can be a good thing. In blue diamonds, I would imagine it wouldn''t be a good thing for it to fluor.

Ok so I have a question *raises hand* I know all fluor isn''t blue, but wouldn''t a blue fluor just make a blue diamond bluer?

Or is that just dumb thinking?

-A

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/27/2010 3:25:05 PM
Author: Arcadian

You know, I'm going to disagree with most people in that I think as far as saturation of color goes, #1 could be a lot better. You had said it looks like a sapphire to you, well not to me, except a very mediocre sapphire. It's just too grey and dark. I find the second one, although it has a greenish secondary, to be more saturated. If it didn't have a huge window, I would probably prefer it over #1, but I think the color of #1 is probably more like the Hope, which I believe is graded a fancy deep as well. I believe that color is probably more preferred in the trade, but is it more saturated than #2?

Now, that being said, I know from my experience with colored diamonds, that looking at the color on a two dimensional image really doesn't allow for a good idea of the color and true beauty of the gem. This is probably more true for diamonds than any other gem. I wish all these vendors of colored diamonds would provide videos because I feel that would show the truer color and scintillation of the stone. Is it possible that he can provide you a video of that stone or any others that you would like to see? Also, please ask about fluorescence, as it does affect the color of some gems, sometimes adversely or it can be a good thing. In blue diamonds, I would imagine it wouldn't be a good thing for it to fluor.

Ok so I have a question *raises hand* I know all fluor isn't blue, but wouldn't a blue fluor just make a blue diamond bluer?

-A
No question is dumb!! Blue fluor to me isn't really that blue, but more like very bright white in sunlight. I would think that would inhibit the saturation of blue color when explosed to UV light, but I'm not sure. Hopefully a colored diamond expert will chime in. I know yellow fluor really enhances the yellow color of fancy yellows, so that's a good thing in the case of yellows, but I can't imagine blue fluor helping a blue diamond's saturation, but inhibiting it instead.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/27/2010 3:30:55 PM
Date: 6/27/2010 3:25:05 PM

Author: Arcadian

You know, I''m going to disagree with most people in that I think as far as saturation of color goes, #1 could be a lot better. You had said it looks like a sapphire to you, well not to me, except a very mediocre sapphire. It''s just too grey and dark. I find the second one, although it has a greenish secondary, to be more saturated. If it didn''t have a huge window, I would probably prefer it over #1, but I think the color of #1 is probably more like the Hope, which I believe is graded a fancy deep as well. I believe that color is probably more preferred in the trade, but is it more saturated than #2?

Now, that being said, I know from my experience with colored diamonds, that looking at the color on a two dimensional image really doesn''t allow for a good idea of the color and true beauty of the gem. This is probably more true for diamonds than any other gem. I wish all these vendors of colored diamonds would provide videos because I feel that would show the truer color and scintillation of the stone. Is it possible that he can provide you a video of that stone or any others that you would like to see? Also, please ask about fluorescence, as it does affect the color of some gems, sometimes adversely or it can be a good thing. In blue diamonds, I would imagine it wouldn''t be a good thing for it to fluor.

Ok so I have a question *raises hand* I know all fluor isn''t blue, but wouldn''t a blue fluor just make a blue diamond bluer?

-A

No question is dumb!! Blue fluor to me isn''t really that blue, but more like very bright white in sunlight. I would think that would inhibit the saturation of blue color when explosed to UV light, but I''m not sure. Hopefully a colored diamond expert will chime in. I know yellow fluor really enhances the yellow color of fancy yellows, so that''s a good thing in the case of yellows, but I can''t imagine blue fluor helping a blue diamond''s saturation, but inhibiting it instead.

Ok, Gotcha and thank you. It does make sense.

-A

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
T_L, I thank you for that langerman link, but my wallet now hates you!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh No VL!! Sorry!
11.gif
So what did you buy????
31.gif

lavatea

Brilliant_Rock
Kenny, a fellow libra here. Of the two I like the first best, but I understand you''re waiting a while. I agonize over decisions so I totally understand.

Freke, you share a birthday with my sister. :)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/27/2010 3:30:55 PM
No question is dumb!! Blue fluor to me isn''t really that blue, but more like very bright white in sunlight. I would think that would inhibit the saturation of blue color when explosed to UV light, but I''m not sure. Hopefully a colored diamond expert will chime in. I know yellow fluor really enhances the yellow color of fancy yellows, so that''s a good thing in the case of yellows, but I can''t imagine blue fluor helping a blue diamond''s saturation, but inhibiting it instead.
I have seen strong blue fluorescence of colorless diamonds natural sunlight and it looks to have a lavender or bluish tint. Therefore, I would think it will be the same for a blue diamond, in that it will make it appear bluer. Under UV, a coloulress diamond with blue fluorescence will glow blue. You can check RT for example pictures of blue fluorescence of colourless diamonds under UV and natural sunlight.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/26/2010 1:07:05 PM
Author: kenny

Date: 6/26/2010 9:26:00 AM
Author: iLander
Kenny, if we''re getting personal info, I''m interested in knowing if you are a Taurus or an Aries. After watching you stand firm against all this opposition, I''m thinking you at least have to have one of these as your rising sign, LOL. Probably a little Scorpio too, if you can have such intense concentration on such a small object.
Color preference and gender is way too broad a brush for me, not buying any of that. We all know astrology is the only true science, LOL.

I am a Libra.

I don''t see anything in this thread as opposition.
Everyone has opinions, that''s all.

Expressing your opinion, even supporting it with lots of reasoning is usually interpreted as attempting to convert others to your opinion; this results in defensiveness and arguments.

I''m not sure why but I just don''t see it that way; I''m at peace with the existence of other opinions whatever they are.
That doesn''t mean I agree with those opinions; I just accept that conflicting opinions just coexist.
One (the right one) does not win and conquer the wrong ones. (I''m afraid this is the prevailing perspective.)

I''m clear that only I hold the reins to my perspective and nothing anyone can say is a threat to that.
Opinions are not bullets; they''re just opinions.

Maybe that''s why I relish hearing all opinions especially those that are most different from mine.
I learn a lot that way.
I''m a Libran too. And of the two things you covet this week Ken, forget the blue diamond and get yourself a spanky C02 system instead!

Oh my, I''ll likely be shunned forever from CS for such sacrelige!

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/27/2010 12:02:20 AM
Author: iLander
Here are my astrological generalities (not warranty, neither expressed nor implied):

@ Kenny: Libras are generally good looking and like posh, finer things. That explains the blue diamond and probably a wine buff.

@ Freke: Taurus AND Aries?! Not anyone I want to argue with. Ever. Pretty flamboyant and showy.

@ Vapid: Scorpio explains the concentration and dedication to your projects. Little intense, are we? :)

@Movie: Pisces are hard to pin down, they tend to adapt to the people around them pretty well. Pretty bright.

@ Crasru: Sagittarius have always been friendly and warm, in my view. Love comfort and softness.

@ Rockhugger: Aries tend to go head on toward something, never around a problem, very direct. Leadership tendencies.

It''s late, did I miss anyone? These are all my personal observations over the years, dealing with people.

I''m an Aquarius. We tend to be accepting of most people and things, tend to have a child-like quality, but are fairly blunt. It''s hard to find an Aquarian snob.

Now I will wait for the Aries and Tauruses to argue with me. LOL!

Please, everyone, also check your rising signs and get back to me (LOL) : http://www.horoscopeswithin.com/calculate.php Many times it''s the rising sign that weighs heavier on a personality.

Kenny- sorry for the threadjack. Go ahead and buy the emerald cut. You''re right, diamonds are the only thing I''ve ever bought that actually increased in value.
Never a truer word spoken, absolutely spot on!

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/25/2010 1:04:10 AM
Author:kenny
What do you think?

I'd rather get a Vivid with better clarity but the price would be even higher or it would have to be even smaller.
Plus the selection of naturally-blue diamonds really sux.
39.gif

The sapphire-like depth of the blue is hypnotizing and carries me away.

Link
What would it hurt to take a look at this one in person? Are returns easy enough?

ETA: Another Libra checking in!
35.gif

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results