color
clarity

Should I buy this tiny blue diamond?

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/25/2010 5:58:55 PM
Author: kenny
Thianks iLander.
I''d kill for a light blue or pinkish-Orange (salmon or apricot hue) Octavia.
it takes my breath away to even think of it.......and the price per carat on that puppy would be insane!

mz

iLander

Ideal_Rock
@Rock Hugger: Thanks, I thought it was a fab stone

@Kenny; yup, I apparently repeated the same link. Hard to type into the forum AND make chicken-n-dumplings at the same time.

If you like the emerald cut blue then you should buy it. It is an unusual cut for a colored diamond, and an emerald cut will always face up larger than say, an oval, with the same measurements.

What are you saving it for, your next life?

BUT . . .

The question I always ask myself before making a big purchase is: "If no one knew I owned this, no one else admired it, or saw it, or told me they liked it, would I still want it?" That''s how I make sure I''m not doing something to impress other people. If the answer is "I don''t care if anybody knows, I will still love it because it will be mine", then I go ahead with it.

MAC-W

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Kenny,
have you thought about contacting these guys http://www.ajediam.com/ ?

Based on their pricing pages, it would seem that for $16k they could source you an intense blue diamond around 0.25-0.30ct

Might be worth sending them an email to find out more and get some pictures of exactly what they mean by 'intense blue'?

After all the more sources and options you have, then the better your chances of find "the one"
2.gif
1.gif

Good luck in your search

mac

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kenny,
You do know that you should never ever buy a fancy blue diamond without a GIA report. No other report from any other lab is as highly accepted/regarded as the GIA for fancy colored diamonds.

For example, I would never pay a fancy blue price without a GIA report. The stone could be synthetic or coated, or irrradiated. It is also the lab that will definitively tell you what the color is. I would not accept a fancy vivid blue from IGI, but I would from GIA.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Absolutely GIA only - preferable one of the rare ones with a full report.

Mac-W, Aediam does not list prices, and wants all my personal info before I can get a price, so they're not getting my business.
I don't care for that unfriendly business model.

Their wholesale "pricing page" is worthless as it doesn't tell me what I'd pay for any particular stone.
There are too many like variabes, cut, and clarity and they only go up to Intense, not deep or vivid, which are more costly than Intense.
I don't like secret prices that are only revealed in private.
I don't trust it.
I like transparent prices.

I will never buy any diamond without an Internet-published price.
A published price means that both sides of the negotiating process had to place in the mind of the seller. (even if they threw in some margin for negotiating)
They know the buying decision will probably be made without the buyer talking to the seller, so they must only publish a competitive price.
If they go too high nobody will contact them.
I don't like to be "sized up and qualified" before they'll tell me a price.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
I looked at that ajdiam too, kenny, and was equally angered as you by that tactic. Not only that but they insist that you tell them in your inquiry how much you would be willing to pay for a stone matching your search request. I say how about they just say how much something costs, and the customer can decide if that is fair to them. Also just to get to the searchy page or the wholesale price confabulator thing you have to click a link that says something like, "if you think you are rich enough to own a blue diamond click here". Too arrogant for me; I''d sooner buy from zales.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/25/2010 4:26:33 PM
Author: dzop
For whatever reason, women don't really dig blue diamonds...but that doesn't mean that they aren't worthy purchases or hold their value at auction. There's a reason a fine blue goes for $100k/ct even in sub 0.25 carat sizes...
That is probably the stupidest and most generalized thing I have ever read on PS.
20.gif

But seeing as how I haven't finished reading the thread, I'm sure someone has already said something similar.

For the record Kenny, I'd go for stone #1, but I would keep looking if I were you.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/25/2010 9:51:00 PM
Author: FrekeChild

For whatever reason, women don''t really dig blue diamonds...but that doesn''t mean that they aren''t worthy purchases or hold their value at auction. There''s a reason a fine blue goes for $100k/ct even in sub 0.25 carat sizes...

That is probably the stupidest and most generalized thing I have ever read on PS.
20.gif

But seeing as how I haven''t finished reading the thread, I''m sure someone has already mentioned something similar.

For the record Kenny, I''d go for stone #1, but I would keep looking if I were you.

ITA.

Kenny, I really like number 1. Its dark but I still like the saturated color. Number 2 is light but looks to me to be quite windowed. Blue colored stones can be hotly contested around here sometimes.

I will say that I think that both are really small. I think that maybe you should choose one to see in person to get a physical perception of it. If you hate it, return it.

TL, please don''t take offense, because I know you''re putting other stones out there for informational purposes and you''ve always given great advice not only to me to to many others, but Kenny is all about diamonds. I think that nothings wrong with wanting what you want without substitution because he''s right; if he wanted a substitute, a piece of blue glass would do. You''ve got some amazing diamonds in your collection so I know you know what you''re talking about when it comes to them, however I think for the sake of the thread its best to stay on topic, especially for the diamond newbies here.(like me!)

What I do know of blue diamonds (and most diamonds) can fit in a thimble
17.gif
so all this is great information to me! That said I can only really offer an opinion based on the color only. They always seem to be amazingly expensive even in small sizes.

Kenny the things I would do to have that type of budget...
11.gif
9.gif

-A

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/25/2010 10:26:27 PM
Author: Arcadian

For whatever reason, women don''t really dig blue diamonds...but that doesn''t mean that they aren''t worthy purchases or hold their value at auction. There''s a reason a fine blue goes for $100k/ct even in sub 0.25 carat sizes...

20.gif

But seeing as how I haven''t finished reading the thread, I''m sure someone has already mentioned something similar.

For the record Kenny, I''d go for stone #1, but I would keep looking if I were you.

ITA.

Kenny, I really like number 1. Its dark but I still like the saturated color. Number 2 is light but looks to me to be quite windowed. Blue colored stones can be hotly contested around here sometimes.

I will say that I think that both are really small. I think that maybe you should choose one to see in person to get a physical perception of it. If you hate it, return it.

TL, please don''t take offense, because I know you''re putting other stones out there for informational purposes and you''ve always given great advice not only to me to to many others, but Kenny is all about diamonds. I think that nothings wrong with wanting what you want without substitution because he''s right; if he wanted a substitute, a piece of blue glass would do. You''ve got some amazing diamonds in your collection so I know you know what you''re talking about when it comes to them, however I think for the sake of the thread its best to stay on topic, especially for the diamond newbies here.(like me!)

What I do know of blue diamonds (and most diamonds) can fit in a thimble
17.gif
so all this is great information to me! That said I can only really offer an opinion based on the color only. They always seem to be amazingly expensive even in small sizes.

Kenny the things I would do to have that type of budget...
11.gif
9.gif

-A

At first I thought this said blue diamonds and most diamonds can fit in a thimble. I was getting all excited since I have big thumbs!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No offense taken Arcadian,
2.gif

It''s just that when people come asking for advice in the colored stone forum, I like to offer substitute gems since many of us colored stoners are so value conscious. I really don''t know Kenny that well since I hang out here 99% of the time, and I had no idea it had to be a diamond.

Kenny,
Good luck on your blue diamond search.
1.gif

dzop

Shiny_Rock
It was said in response to something that a woman said upthread, that tiny blue diamonds are a poor investment because they''re difficult to resell at auction when the woman controls when the man''s wallet opens.

Yeah, I thought that was silly too, but there''s certainly an element of truth that women tend toward more saturated stones in warmer colors, and men tend to go for less saturated stones in cooler colors. If you ever look at a broad selection of antique cufflinks or men''s rings, it''s apparent in about 1 millisecond.

20.gif

But seeing as how I haven''t finished reading the thread, I''m sure someone has already said something similar.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m grateful for everyone''s input here.

It all goes into the old brain and broadens my understanding.
36.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
People like what they like. Men tend towards lighter/darker/subdued colors because they''ve been socialized that way, not because they don''t like them. My husband won''t wear ANYTHING with pink or purple because of that, even though he doesn''t actually have a problem with either color.

Men know that other men won''t take them seriously if they wear bright vibrant colors. Men think that women will think they are gay if they wear bright vibrant warm colors.

This is pure gender socialization.

Women have a much easier time of it, with the being able to wear skirt, dresses AND pantsuits, and any color they want to. However, when a woman is in a man''s world, they have to be subdued in their clothing and color choices too. Again, socialization.

But I would say that there are plenty of women here who do not fit that "norm" of women who like vibrant, vivid, highly saturated colors. I''m a major one, tending towards blues with lots of gray, not to mention PURE GRAY, and lightly saturated stones--going completely against what you say is the norm.

People like what they like, and generalizations get lots of these:
20.gif

That goes for all over PS, btw.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/25/2010 11:27:18 PM

36.gif
Kenny! You should totally buy a little blue-gray spinel for your little blue diamond to play with! It''ll cost like .001% of the cost of the diamond! And then he''ll have a buddy to play with!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/25/2010 11:33:00 PM
I'm grateful for everyone's input here.
36.gif
Kenny! You should totally buy a little blue-gray spinel for your little blue diamond to play with! It'll cost like .001% of the cost of the diamond! And then he'll have a buddy to play with!
But if they wrestle won't the poor, little, soft spinel get scratched up by the big, bad, mean, hard diamond?
38.gif

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Kenny - When I look at that tiny blue diamond, this is what I mentally compare it to. I love the color of this blue Burmese EC sapphire from Wild Fish. Link Yes, I know that natural blue diamonds will not be the color of this sapphire.

When buying colored diamonds, you just don't get the selection that you have with colorless diamonds. So, something has to give. If you want the blue color, and the EC shape, and want to keep the price reasonable, then perhaps that diamond (#1) is your stone.

WildFishGems-ems167-b1.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/25/2010 11:46:45 PM
36.gif
Kenny! You should totally buy a little blue-gray spinel for your little blue diamond to play with! It''ll cost like .001% of the cost of the diamond! And then he''ll have a buddy to play with!
But if they wrestle won''t the poor, little, soft spinel get scratched up by the big, bad, mean, hard diamond?
38.gif
Well yeah. And that is likely, seeing as how they are both *boy* stones. But the little diamond still needs a buddy!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/25/2010 11:46:45 PM

I'm grateful for everyone's input here.

36.gif

Kenny! You should totally buy a little blue-gray spinel for your little blue diamond to play with! It'll cost like .001% of the cost of the diamond! And then he'll have a buddy to play with!

But if they wrestle won't the poor, little, soft spinel get scratched up by the big, bad, mean, hard diamond?
38.gif

Spinels are actually very hard and durable, and they don't get all greasy like diamonds do and have great luster. They're very low maintenance gems. Here's my blue spinel in rose gold, and it actually has fire (my camera has a hard time capturing fire). . .and I wanted to show off my "baby." I wear it every day.

Not trying to talk you into a blue spinel of course since your heart is set on a diamond, but if you ever want to dive into the world of other colored gems, it's rather fun and there's a lot more selection. I collect colored diamonds too, but no blues, and I love them, so I understand why you are fascinated by them.

TLbluespinelcomparison.JPG

dzop

Shiny_Rock
Well, you sound like my gender studies professor from college who claimed that most of the physical differences between the sexes were socialized.

To try to segue this to something remotely on topic, I think this is patently false. I''m a guy who (thanks to the joys of preppy style) wears a ton of bright pink and purple (and guess what, it doesn''t make you gay!). But countless, I mean, COUNTLESS studies have shown that color preferences track gender, even at exceptionally young ages. Gender manifests in many ways beyond simple sex organs, and one of those ways is in preferences for color and sparkle.

This is not to say that ALL men prefer blues and grays and ALL women prefer hot pinks. Rather, men disproportionately, and as a gender in general, prefer cool colors and less flashy stones. Dismissing the value of generalizations because of unusual exceptions is, itself, a silly overgeneralization.

Date: 6/25/2010 11:31:43 PM
People like what they like. Men tend towards lighter/darker/subdued colors because they''ve been socialized that way, not because they don''t like them. My husband won''t wear ANYTHING with pink or purple because of that, even though he doesn''t actually have a problem with either color.

Men know that other men won''t take them seriously if they wear bright vibrant colors. Men think that women will think they are gay if they wear bright vibrant warm colors.

This is pure gender socialization.

Women have a much easier time of it, with the being able to wear skirt, dresses AND pantsuits, and any color they want to. However, when a woman is in a man''s world, they have to be subdued in their clothing and color choices too. Again, socialization.

But I would say that there are plenty of women here who do not fit that ''norm'' of women who like vibrant, vivid, highly saturated colors. I''m a major one, tending towards blues with lots of gray, not to mention PURE GRAY, and lightly saturated stones--going completely against what you say is the norm.

People like what they like, and generalizations get lots of these:
20.gif

That goes for all over PS, btw.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm so glad I'm openly gay.

What a bunch of hooey, worrying about whether it is okay if you like a color!
38.gif

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/26/2010 12:28:30 AM
I''m so glad I''m openly gay.

What a bunch of hooey, worrying about whether it is okay if you like a color!
38.gif

This is one of the awesomest statements I''ve heard on PS lately!
9.gif

Don''t even get me started on gender socialization, gender roles, etc. It''s taking all my willpower to avoid going off on one of my wildly left-leaning rants.

Not to bring the thread even more off-topic, but I think the octavia diamond should be the next gay pride symbol. It''s quite similar to a rainbow with all its color flashes!
3.gif

Getting back to the topic...I''m totally with you on wanting to find a blue diamond as opposed to another blue stone like a spinel or sapphire. There''s just something really special about blue diamonds. Given that you like step cuts, and that they tend to be rare in fancy colored diamonds, it sounds like you should go with the first one. Would I buy either of them (if I had the budget)? Nope, for the reasons I mentioned earlier. But it sounds like the first one fits YOUR tastes well.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
I like the idea of you having a blue diamond. It would be like having a small Hope Diamond.
3.gif

I have to say too the cost doesn't seem at all excessive to me because people like what they like. If I had that kind of budget there are many jewels (completed pieces of jewelry from major houses) that would be one my list- not your cup of tea, so whatever people value is really up to them and no matter of controversy to anyone.

If you do get a colored diamond, please let us know.
2.gif

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Kenny, if we're getting personal info, I'm interested in knowing if you are a Taurus or an Aries. After watching you stand firm against all this opposition, I'm thinking you at least have to have one of these as your rising sign, LOL. Probably a little Scorpio too, if you can have such intense concentration on such a small object.

Color preference and gender is way too broad a brush for me, not buying any of that. We all know astrology is the only true science, LOL.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/26/2010 9:26:00 AM
Author: iLander
Kenny, if we're getting personal info, I'm interested in knowing if you are a Taurus or an Aries. After watching you stand firm against all this opposition, I'm thinking you at least have to have one of these as your rising sign, LOL. Probably a little Scorpio too, if you can have such intense concentration on such a small object.
Color preference and gender is way too broad a brush for me, not buying any of that. We all know astrology is the only true science, LOL.

I am a Libra.

I don't see anything in this thread as opposition.
Everyone has opinions, that's all.

Expressing your opinion, even supporting it with lots of reasoning is usually interpreted as attempting to convert others to your opinion; this results in defensiveness and arguments.

I'm not sure why but I just don't see it that way; I'm at peace with the existence of other opinions whatever they are.
That doesn't mean I agree with those opinions; I just accept that conflicting opinions just coexist.
One (the right one) does not win and conquer the wrong ones. (I'm afraid this is the prevailing perspective.)

I'm clear that only I hold the reins to my perspective and nothing anyone can say is a threat to that.
Opinions are not bullets; they're just opinions.

Maybe that's why I relish hearing all opinions especially those that are most different from mine.
I learn a lot that way.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
For the record, I''m a Taurus. April 22. Right on the cusp of Aries.
3.gif

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
I''m a scorpio, right on the cusp of veteran''s day

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/26/2010 1:07:05 PM

Date: 6/26/2010 9:26:00 AM
Author: iLander
Kenny, if we''re getting personal info, I''m interested in knowing if you are a Taurus or an Aries. After watching you stand firm against all this opposition, I''m thinking you at least have to have one of these as your rising sign, LOL. Probably a little Scorpio too, if you can have such intense concentration on such a small object.

I am a Libra.

I don''t see anything in this thread as opposition.
Everyone has opinions, that''s all.

Expressing your opinion, even supporting it with lots of reasoning is usually interpreted as attempting to convert others to your opinion; this results in defensiveness and arguments.

I''m not sure why but I just don''t see it that way; I''m at peace with the existence of other opinions whatever they are.
That doesn''t mean I agree with those opinions; I just accept that conflicting opinions just coexist.
One (the right one) does not win and conquer the wrong ones. (I''m afraid this is the prevailing perspective.)

I''m clear that only I hold the reins to my perspective and nothing anyone can say is a threat to that.
Opinions are not bullets; they''re just opinions.

Maybe that''s why I relish hearing all opinions especially those that are most different from mine.
I learn a lot that way.
wow! now that''s one healthy mind set and personality! love it.

buy #1. its your $ and i completely "get" wanting to own your own blue diamond.

mz

ps i''m a pisces.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh My God! I wish I saw this Burmese before I ordered my sapphire! But unfortunately, Ed did not even put it into his latest newsletter! Darn!

Also, fellows - this thread is becoming so emotional as if we were on the "Hangout"! I understand people get heated when it comes to personal beliefs and opinions, but this is about what unites us!

We have Libras, Aries, who not among us! I understand that Arieses, Leos and Sagittarians (myself) may be a little bit straightforward but don't we have enough Libras, Gemini and Aquarians among us to balance our polemics with diplomacy?

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/25/2010 4:11:47 PM
Kenny, I think you've gotten very bad advice on this thread. One of my dreams has always been to have a small (3-3.5mm) natural vivid blue gypsy set in my wedding band when I get married ( my plan is brushed white metal with, hopefully, a tiny round that you wouldn't notice if you didn't look carefully). I've been eyeing diamond #1 for some time and I think that it's an exceptional blue- it's not quite to my taste b/c I think it's fancy deep and I'd rather pay more-or-less the same for fancy vivid, but it's exceptionally saturated for a natural blue. A blue diamond is a very male stone;

I'm going to guess based on your name that, like me, you're a man.

"Blue diamond is a very male stone"

Evalyn Walsh McLean might have disagreed with you! She was one of the most famous owners of the most famous blue diamond in existence.

Evalyn Walsh McLean and King Louis XIV both owned it, and I've never heard anyone say that women don't like blue diamonds.

Where do you get this from?

Edited to add, please don't take this is "argumentative"- I'd like to know how you arrived at this conclusion.

Some generalizations might be true, but you're not making a generalization. You're saying something very specific- "Blue diamond is a very male stone".

Why do you think this?

2_1_1_1_mclean.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's so funny, Gene of precisiongem.com recently went to the Smithsonian to see the Hope and the Whittelsbach-Graff. He then said, as picky Pricescopers, if we bought these gems, we would probably return them because they were so grey. LOL!

I guess someone like me cannot appreciate the rarity because the first thing I look for in a gem is color. I do understand the appeal for collectors though. They are incredibly rare gems.

As for me, I do wear a 1.5 ct greyish green diamond every day and I love that gem, so in colored diamonds, I will accept a modifier if it helps to make the gem affordable, but it seems that the grey modifier in blue diamonds is ignored due to their rarity.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results