shape
carat
color
clarity

Should I buy this ring? (1.84 ct unheated, Burmese ruby, Art Deco ring)

Should I buy this ring?

• Yes, buy it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, don't buy it

Votes: 25 100.0%

• Total voters

ahoward

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all of these! I actually hadn't seen that list from the antiques forum so I will definitely check all of those links out.

I did go to Lang's in person. I talked with them a while and they offered to contact me if they find anything that fits what I'm looking for. I hadn't heard of antique jewelry concierges, though, so I will look into that as well!

I don't mind not having a precision cut stone but I also don't know how far that goes. Should I expect to find things like windows in antique stones?

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
To be honest, I have seen African rubies of a color comparable to Burmese ones. On the other hand, unheated old Burmese rubies could cost basically anything. They are hard to take photos of, so I can not even say if it is dark or not. It looks dark, but maybe a video would show the color better?

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since you aren’t in a rush I agree with the suggestion above to talk to a jewelry concierge. I remember Jogani posting a couple of rubies on IG awhile back so maybe start with him. Ask them about antique jewelry shows they might attend and the dates (there are some big shows in Vegas, NY and Miami). And I second the comment to make sure you get a reputable lab report.

I can’t speak to these vendors or prices, but some antique ruby rings to consider:
http://www.macklowegallery.com/gall...Antique+English+Ruby+and+Diamond+Cluster+Ring

https://www.rauantiques.com/burma-ruby-and-diamond-ring-1-66-carats-1

Heated ruby:
https://www.newyorkestatejewelry.co...gement-Rings&int_item_id=34694&int_category=3

And an emerald:
https://www.southernclassicjewelry....T-PLATINUM-EMERALD-AND-DIAMOND-RING-p87092070

txgreeneyes

Shiny_Rock
Also check with “The Three Graces” (aka Georgian Jewelry) located in Wimberly, Texas. I don’t know anyone who has bought from them so you will need to investigate and do due diligence. Good luck!

voce

Ideal_Rock
Since you aren’t in a rush I agree with the suggestion above to talk to a jewelry concierge. I remember Jogani posting a couple of rubies on IG awhile back so maybe start with him. Ask them about antique jewelry shows they might attend and the dates (there are some big shows in Vegas, NY and Miami). And I second the comment to make sure you get a reputable lab report.

I can’t speak to these vendors or prices, but some antique ruby rings to consider...

Heated ruby:
https://www.newyorkestatejewelry.co...gement-Rings&int_item_id=34694&int_category=3
Rau Antiques didn't not post the actual AGL report, so I'd wait to see that first before making a decision involving that ring.

FYI, the New York Estate Jewelry ruby's color looks the best to me, BUT GIA states that it is heated with moderate residues. Residues (clarity enhancing fillers) are a no-no for many of us. Most PS aficionados would look for no indication of heat/treatment or heated only (no mention of clarity treatments by a reputable lab). The reason is that having fillers drastically affects the value of the ruby, so you could stand to lose a lot of money if you overpay for a clarity enhanced antique ruby.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
my aversion to sparkle

You & I both ...

I love cabochons - and they are not often made of the perfectly clean material of wonderful color - excepting stars. Then, the faceted stones with silk are a kind of less uncommon faceted possibility. I am usually noticing blue not red stones with silk! - lately these two: Light WWW & Deep WWW blue ...

Ruby can have such texture sure enough & star rubies are there - nb. @Bluegemz

Then - rubies: WWW ...

I have only good to say about rose cut diamonds & a few unusual versions that are even less 'sung'!

AV_

Ideal_Rock
ctd.

Rubies...

- in new rings WWW (LM)

& moody one with an interesting cut - WWW ; the same source lists a couple of classical rubies but only one step cut or anything less modern, there used to be more here...

Btw. - I am only now noticing these diamonds WWW the cut is a somewhat unheard-of revival now. You might see some in 1800s jewelry - but I cannot remember the last time I have seen such a piece with a notable ruby.

Last edited:

AV_

Ideal_Rock
ctd.

Allot of the beautiful photography here WWW - is such that these could be 1mm each for what I know! ,) I hope it will be a pleasure to ask, it can certainly be. (from the same - www)

Last edited:

oodlesofpoodles

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I see many options for beautiful art deco rings on 1st Dibs website if you haven't checked there.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results