shape
carat
color
clarity

Should I be able to see an inclusion on vs2 diamond?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

galleygal

Shiny_Rock
Can someone please clarify if I should be able to see an inclusion with the naked eye on a vs2 ideal cut diamond? I can''t see anything when I look at the top of the diamond, but when I look at the side view I can see a small inclusion. The jeweler where my boyfriend bought the ring is a member of AGS so there so be no funny business right? The appraiser is through the jeweler also. Should I be worried that we a got a diamond that was not really a vs2?

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Diamonds are all graded from the top down. Side view doesn''t really impact the grading, so yes it is entirely possible to see an inclusion from the side in a VS2. AND not all VS2''s are even eyeclean from the top. Most are, but to some eagle eyed people occasionally there are ones that aren''t...

gontama

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/27/2007 2:52:54 PM
Author:galleygal
Can someone please clarify if I should be able to see an inclusion with the naked eye on a vs2 ideal cut diamond? I can''t see anything when I look at the top of the diamond, but when I look at the side view I can see a small inclusion. The jeweler where my boyfriend bought the ring is a member of AGS so there so be no funny business right? The appraiser is through the jeweler also. Should I be worried that we a got a diamond that was not really a vs2?
There are qualified independent appraisers etc. here who can give you most appropriate "answer". My understanding is that clarity grading is performed face-up and inclusions can be seen at pavilion of the stone, especially for a VS2. So even an AGS graded (I assume AGS because you say "ideal") VS diamond can have inclusions visible to the naked eye at pavilion.

galleygal

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for replying. I was worried that my boyfriend got ripped off. He purchased a hearts on fire band and was considering a loose HOF diamond for the center. The sales lady also brought out a loose diamond that wasn''t a hearts on fire and we mixed the two diamonds up accidently and in the end couldn''t figure out which one was which. Needless to say, my boyfriend opted for the one that was half the price of the HOF diamond but shined just as bright. I was just a little disappointed of the inclusion b/c the setting is open enough on the sides. I was worried that he didn''t get what he paid for.
Here is the setting.

http://www.heartsonfire.com/#/us/en-us/diamond-collection/view-details.php?item_id=1839&item_name=Felicity%20Split%20Shank%20Solitaire&style_name=FelHofSpShS&type_id=1&type_name=Rings&subtype_id=1&subtype_name=Engagement%20Rings

Jenna51580gr

Shiny_Rock
I am be no means an expert but from what I know that not all VS2 diamonds are eye clean and that the appriasal is going from the Top Down, I am not sure if they pay attention to the sides. The setting is really pretty and sounds like a nice diamond.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
As has been stated, diamonds are graded from the top down, not from the side. . .My eng. stone is a GIA cert. VS2 and is entirely eye clean from the top, but I can see a small inclusion from the side. It's not highly noticable and I only found it after looking for it.

gontama

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/27/2007 3:13:07 PM
Author: galleygal
Thanks for replying. I was worried that my boyfriend got ripped off. He purchased a hearts on fire band and was considering a loose HOF diamond for the center. The sales lady also brought out a loose diamond that wasn't a hearts on fire and we mixed the two diamonds up accidently and in the end couldn't figure out which one was which. Needless to say, my boyfriend opted for the one that was half the price of the HOF diamond but shined just as bright. I was just a little disappointed of the inclusion b/c the setting is open enough on the sides. I was worried that he didn't get what he paid for.
Here is the setting.

http://www.heartsonfire.com/#/us/en-us/diamond-collection/view-details.php?item_id=1839&item_name=Felicity%20Split%20Shank%20Solitaire&style_name=FelHofSpShS&type_id=1&type_name=Rings&subtype_id=1&subtype_name=Engagement%20Rings
Very pretty setting. I think HOF is nice because they sell settings seprately. Your "experience" (no difference after accidental mix) does not surprise me. I think the B&M has access to high quality diamonds that are as nice as HOFs. So, it you really do not want to see inclusions from the side view, espeically on the setting you chose, can you ask them to locate another stone which is just as good as what you are looking at. There are completely eye-clean (even from the side) VS2 and even SI1.

galleygal

Shiny_Rock
I wish that he would have looked at the loose diamond closer. I think he got so excited that he just purchased it. The ring was already made because I have extremely small fingers and the diamond has been set. I''m not sure what their policy is on their diamonds being exchanged. I know that the price of the diamond is always good. They used to have a money back on all of their diamonds, but recently just changed it store credit. So, if I ever want to upgrade they give me the amount that he paid for it. I guess I''ll have to call them and see what their policy is. I just hate to bother them after everything has been set. I wish my FF would have looked closer.

gontama

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/27/2007 3:40:20 PM
I wish that he would have looked at the loose diamond closer. I think he got so excited that he just purchased it. The ring was already made because I have extremely small fingers and the diamond has been set. I''m not sure what their policy is on their diamonds being exchanged. I know that the price of the diamond is always good. They used to have a money back on all of their diamonds, but recently just changed it store credit. So, if I ever want to upgrade they give me the amount that he paid for it. I guess I''ll have to call them and see what their policy is. I just hate to bother them after everything has been set. I wish my FF would have looked closer.
If they have "store credit", it sounds similar to buy back if you stick with the B&M. Because you like the ring, I think it is OK for it to have been resized for you. And unless you choose another diamond with significantly different size, the setting can probably be used for the new diamond. But you please look at the diamond, the inclusion is there, but question you want to answer is, can you live with it, for example as the identifier of your stone. After all you may be perfectly ok with it. If you exchange the stone, I recommend to have it inspected by an independent appraiser. They are very different in knowledge and expertise from salespeople at B&M and will tell you everything that you need to know about the stone you choose.

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
A diamond's facets serve more like windows than reflectors when viewed from the side, so it's possible to see inclusions that are masked in the face-up view.

Also, while the gist here is correct, I'm reminded of a valuable reset from Elmo a while ago: There are occasions when a clarity grade is set by durability (low grades) or something that may not be reflected face-up (high grades). Not relevant in this VS2 case, but it doesn't hurt to reference this thread on occasion - I thought it was good discussion.

Chase035

Shiny_Rock
You sure it''s an inclusion and not the reflection of the girdle. The reflection of the girdle would look like a line that spans the diamond from one side of the pavillion to the other midway between the girdle and the culet.

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks like you have gotten some good replies here already, but I just had to comment on how gorgeous that setting is!

galleygal

Shiny_Rock
It appears to be a dot or little bubble. I can''t see it from the top but I''m not using a loupe. I''ll try to post pics tom

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Just a few random thoughts...

Lovely setting! And your diamond sounds gorgeous, too!
30.gif

Now, I like eyeclean as much as the next person, but honestly, I doubt that that one small inclusion would bother me... because I seriously doubt if anyone, and I do mean ANYONE, is going to notice it. Believe me, I totally understand and respect "mind clean" issues, but does it help to think of it as a little birthmark, making it "yours alone"?

Diamond grading can seem like an inconsistent science for some newbies... because some VS2''s can have visible inclusions... while some SI2s (and even some really awesome I1s!) can be totally eyeclean. (I know this because my AGS-0 2.36 RB is an SI2 and completely eyeclean, even at close scrutiny with eagle eyes!
3.gif
)

galleygal

Shiny_Rock
it''s in the corner

galleygal

Shiny_Rock
I don''t know how to put my pictures on here. Sorry

galleygal

Shiny_Rock
here is a pic

ring19812.JPG

galleygal

Shiny_Rock
Here is a better view it is in the corner.

ring19813.JPG

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/28/2007 5:49:40 PM
Is that "it", in the 7:00''ish position?

galleygal

Shiny_Rock
another pic

ring19814.JPG

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/28/2007 6:05:22 PM
Author: Lynn B

Date: 10/28/2007 5:49:40 PM
Is that ''it'', in the 7:00''ish position?
Because if it is, I say wear that side toward you (no one else will EVER see it) and enjoy your stunning diamond and beautiful ring.
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree...if that is it in the 7 ''o clock, that is not bad at all! Enjoy, your ring is beautiful!

galleygal

Shiny_Rock
yes, it is "it" in the 7ish view. I know after looking at it and wearing it. I''ve decided that I like it too much. It is so small; I don''t think anyone will ever notice. I have to put it in the sunlight myself to see it. Thanks Lynn for your birthmark advice. So I guess it is normal to see an inclusion in a VS2 and I will have to accept that.
36.gif

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
I''m glad you are feeling better about it. It truly is a stunning ring and stone... wear it with joy and pride.

Lynn

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your ring is just gorgeous! I love that setting! I am picky about clarity myself, but that tiny inclusion is a reminder than your stone is a natural diamond and not a simulated one. So that tiny inclusion wouldn''t bother me a bit!

gontama

Shiny_Rock
Congrats! Nice ring indeed. Though I too think no one would notice that 7:00pm thing, if you would, you could ask the jeweler to rotate the stone a little bit. I think it can be almost under a prong. Very nice.

DMBsGirl

Brilliant_Rock
Your ring is absolutely beautiful! Honestly, I don''t think anyone will ever notice that teeny inclusion. They will just notice that it is gorgeous!
30.gif

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
Love your stone and the setting. The split shank is gorgeous. That inclusion does not look at all noticeable, so I would not let it worry me too much. I forgot, which lab did the grading on your stone? Yes, VS2 can sometimes be seen by some very sharp eyed people, but in your case it looks like you will be the only one who will ever notice it, it is well placed so as to be invisible. Enjoy that beauty!

galleygal

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the comments. It is through the jeweler. The jeweler is a member of AGS. The jeweler is very reputable around this area and up until recently, had a money back for the lifetime of the diamond. Now, they give a credit. I think that is fine with me b/c one day I will want a bigger stone and we will just have to pay the difference. I was worried about the diamond not being certified, but after talking to other people. I don''t feel it is necessary. I even went to another jeweler who is also a member of AGS and once she heard where my FF bought my ring, she assured me that, that business is really reputable and I should not worry.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results