shape
carat
color
clarity

Shane Company BAD!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
GD, you are more than welcome to continue to share your thoughts, but I have to say that I don''t think you''re helping your case here...

fortheloveofdiamonds

Brilliant_Rock

Pscopers are NOT your average buyers. These are research hungry diamond nuts who are obsessed with all things sparkly.
Hi Everyone. My name is.......(looks down) fortheloveofdiamonds and.....well.. I (cough!) am obessesed with all things sparkly.

Welcome fortheloveofdiamonds.

--the first step is admitting that you will accept no inferior goods! and accept that you will be forever warped!

I feel better now that it''s out in the open!

GD

Rough_Rock
Thank you for the welcome. It seems hard to make any case around here. All I''m saying is the Shane Co. is not as bad as some people have made it out to be. Now, I can''t say what it is like at some of the stores in other parts of the country, but the one I work at and the other store in our area are good stores. We are a good company made up of good people just trying to sell good diamonds and make life long customers.
GD

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
As far as the apraisel goes, weren't you the one who said that your mother got a ring, and didn't even know how many carats it was? If not, then forgive me for what I'm about to say, but , no never mind. I'll keep that one to myself-

By all means continue to say whatever you want to say. No one is stopping you--I wouldn't be surprised at anything that came out of your mouth. Was the KoolAid good?

As for my mother shopping at Shane...there's no accounting for taste. I tell her very often that I'm amazed her ring even sparkles considering where she got it and she laughs because she knows I'm a diamond snob. She is the type of person who could care less about diamonds and stones, HENCE WHY SHE SHOPS AT SHANE. Don't worry...she's due for an upgrade soon (at my insistence!), and my dad already knows where to go.
9.gif
You can guarantee it won't be to Shane!!

But thanks for playing.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As you said GD good customer service and having benchmen on hand is a point in favour for local jewellers and large department jewellers. It was after all the independent jewellers in the past who looked after their customers who existed and became profitable businesses which were eventually taken over by large groups such as Shane Co. Many of the independent appraisers have stated that web customers should try to develop a relationship with a good jeweller as their ring will need checking and repairs from time to time. Some of the vendors on this forum also have store fronts and no doubt will be local jewellers for those living in their surrounding area.

I used to buy from large chain stores here in the UK as I thought they were the best, well when you are young and have your own money to spend the department stores look very posh and their lighting is brighter than some of the local jewellers around here. I am a lot older now and realise that I believe when buying from these types of stores I was also buying the comfort and surroundings in the price of my jewellery. I would not buy from a department jeweller again unless perhaps a gold chain or pendant with a semi-precious stone. I may buy diamond earrings sometime from the local jewellers, but when I buy a large diamond I will be buying online. Have you looked at some of the vendors sites, two in particular are www.goodoldgold.com and www.whiteflash.com . Good old gold lists the specs and angles on his diamonds and shows large magnified photos of the diamond onscreen.

Here is a few for example

http://www.goodoldgold.com/0_50ct_e_vvs2_h%26a1.htm

http://www.goodoldgold.com/0_623ct_f_si1_h%26a.htm

http://www.goodoldgold.com/1_02ct_g_vvs2_h%26a.htm

http://www.goodoldgold.com/1_01ct_d_si1_h%26a.htm

I have never seen diamonds like this for this price in large department jewellery stores.

GD

Rough_Rock
Just a diamond snob? I doubt it
GD

GD

Rough_Rock
I''ll be sure to check out those web sites. I would like to see what other people are buying. But, do you feel safe buying online? I won''t even buy from Shane Co. online. Something about not seeing and holding the product before putting money towards it makes me nervous.
GD

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
GD

I think you are maybe taking things the wrong way from Mara. If you had the time to look back over her many posts you will see that she is very helpful to customers and has hunted down stones in various colour and clarities etc, spending time helping them although she already has her present diamond.

She has had many run ins with new posters on here both like yourself working in the profession and also customers who have bought from chain stores and want to believe they bought the best. Some of these posters have stayed and read the forum and have remained members on these boards and in turn have related their stories to new posters about how they thought the same way.

I can see you are a loyal employee and large chain stores have their place for people who want to buy a diamond ring and finance it, perhaps even for $400 or so and to them the diamonds on here are probably not what they would be looking for.

I think though that Mara is very direct and it is her way to just say what she is thinking, I don''t think she is being rude to you as an individual and I don''t think you are meaning to do that either in return. It is just a conflict of interests here.

Mara is actually one of the more knowledgeable posters here and has figured out the cut charts for diamonds and uses the hca cut advisor to help customers know what the stone they are looking at is like. She even may from time to time recommend that the stone a customer has found locally is a good performer.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/6/2004 9:33:24 PM
Author: GD
Just a diamond snob? I doubt it
I never said ''JUST''.

GD

Rough_Rock
I guess you could say there is goog in everyone, but I hae a hard time dealing with people who don''t know how to give an opinion and still be respectfull. Besides, I wouldn''t call Shane Co. a chain store (yet). we only have 26 stores, and they only go out to IN. I like that you know how to have a difference of opinion, and can still be nice about it. I will defend the company I work for until someone can give me a GOOD reason not to. I know mall stores, and I know our store. we are the best in our cities. I work to make people happy. Sorry I have not done that tonight.
GD

GD

Rough_Rock
HAHAHAHAHA!!!! I didn''t think so? Now, where did you get your diamond? If it is truly better, then I would like to check it out.
(No harm in checking out our competition, I''ve been donig it a alot )
GD

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
GD, I think the problem you''re having here is that you''re doing exactly what you''re accusing other of doing: not being respectful while offering your opinions/reading those of others. Your posts seem to have contained personal attacks and defensiveness in a way that other posters'' strong opinions have not.

And in my book, 26 stores is a chain!

GD

Rough_Rock
26? In the entire country? That''s not even one per state!! That doesn''t make a lot of sense. And if you have noticed, Mara is the only one I am making personal attacks on. Anybody else is just either responds or jokes. If someone makes an attack at me, I''m going to give it back. Sorry if that bothers anybody. I just want to talk diamonds!!!! We all are here because we have something in common. We all like diamonds!!! SOme of us work with them, some of us have made them our passion. It seems odd to me that for the last 20 mintues I''ve been sitting here, nobody has brought up anything about diamonds or why they like them. Isn''t that the reason you are all here? I love my job!! I see all kinds of diamonds every day. Some are wonderful, and some we all sit around wondering why the home office ever sent them out
1.gif
. I came here to talk about something I like, and to defend a place I love, not to sit and take (and yes, hand out) personal blows.
GD

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Bottom line GD, go out into the forums and read a bit. Newsflash, this is not the only thread here. Obviously if people love diamonds they are here but we don't feel the need to validate ourselves to some newbie as to why we have the right to be here.

If you would have done a bit of research, the way you say others should, about the FORUM that you are sitting here on and posting reply to reply to, you may understand a bit better. Or maybe not. But you don't seem to get that YOU came onto this forum and started telling others that they were wrong for what they had actually experienced in a Shane store. And I'm sorry but working in a diamond company's office does not make you an expert. Just as it does not make ME an expert for having purchased 5 diamonds in the last few years.

It's all about learning but you seem convinced YOU have the right answers. What irks me is when newbies like yourself come in and find one post about some random conversation and then have to sit on here for the next few days telling everyone THEY are wrong. Please! Get over yourself and if you really want to help make people happy, educate yourself on Pscope where some of the world's best experts are (Russia, Australia, US etc) and then AS I SAID, take that information and education back to your managers and salespeople and tell them what else is out there. There IS life outside of a Shane store and there ARE answers elsewhere.

Do you understand what I am saying here or not?! I feel like I am banging my head against the wall. So if you want to beat the 'Shane Co rocks' mantra drum any harder, honestly you are wasting your time and ours. But if you REALLY want to make your customers happy...then stick around and learn something.

Lastly..my ring pictures and information are here:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-new-ring-oops-i-mean-rings.14091/

Tell me, have you ever seen arrows like that in a Shane Co stone? What about crown and pavilion angles?

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/6/2004 8:36:26 PM
Author: MrsFrk
Actually, I spend little time at the computer. I probably spend as much time at the computer as you do handling diamonds.

If you had written a measured ''hey guys, I work at the Shane Co. and I want you to know...'' sort of response, instead of an on fire smiley face rant, perhaps we would listen to your point of view.

I''m glad you find me funny. I try to do my part during the holiday season.
So witty. I love it.
3.gif

And like mom used to say, "honesty is the best policy."
9.gif

GD

Rough_Rock
I have! Actually, I was reading some of yours. Let me tell you-not so impressed. You seem to think you own the web site.
Don''t bang your head too hard, I would HATE to think that when I come back tomorrow that you wouldn''t be here acting like you own the world. Also, when did I EVER tell someone they were wrong? I simply think that people are too quick to judge, and to my understanding it is my right to say so (wether you like it or not). Maybe you should take the I''M THE KING OF THE WORLD crown off your head and let someone speak their mind without having to worry about you treating them like a low class idot (and don''t act like you don''t know what I''m talking about, remember the kool-aid comment). STOP acting like your the one always right! I''ve only been at this web site for maybe 24 hours, and I''ve already got you pretty well figured out. That''s too bad, I usually get along with everybody. Well, except stuck up snobs who won''t let people just say what they need to say, and think that their two cents are the only ones that matter. I enjoy working for Shane Co. Maybe you should take a trip back in and see what has changed. You might be surprised.
GD

GD

Rough_Rock
Will admit this though. I went and looked at you ring. It is nice. I''ve been sitting here reading (like you said to) Not sure what to think, and I still don''t know about you, but I think I''ll stick aroung for awhile. maybe go into other topics ( if that''s okay with you
20.gif
)

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
I''m pretty sure the koolaid comment was a jokey reference to Jonestown, and not any sort of class comment. In the context of discussing a large corporate entity (and while 26 stores is not a nationwide chain, it''s still a LARGE business) it makes sense in that way.

cut to perfection

Rough_Rock
GD, bad news: Shane and Co. is a chain. Generally, more than three doors constitutes a chain by most standards. Also, although most chain stores strive to deliver a level of consistencey and a higher level of quality they usually just deliver junk...because they rely on price, not their educated sales staff to move product.

I hear a lot about this goodoldgold.com website....I don''t see what makes it so special. I examined some of their "H&A" stones and some of them had terrible attributes, most had at least one or two angles where the facets did not lineup to show correct arrows. The idea behind these stones is that they are cut to super-ideal standards. Not all ideal-cuts show hearts and arrows, but a stone that shows the correct proportions with hearts and arrows are generally ideal or better.

Many jewelers throw around the term "ideal". A 57% table with a 60% depth is not all that constitutes "ideal". Has anyone else experienced this?

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 12/7/2004 12:30:29 AM
Author: cut to perfection
GD, bad news: Shane and Co. is a chain. Generally, more than three doors constitutes a chain by most standards. Also, although most chain stores strive to deliver a level of consistencey and a higher level of quality they usually just deliver junk...because they rely on price, not their educated sales staff to move product.

I hear a lot about this goodoldgold.com website....I don''t see what makes it so special. I examined some of their ''H&A'' stones and some of them had terrible attributes, most had at least one or two angles where the facets did not lineup to show correct arrows. The idea behind these stones is that they are cut to super-ideal standards. Not all ideal-cuts show hearts and arrows, but a stone that shows the correct proportions with hearts and arrows are generally ideal or better.

Many jewelers throw around the term ''ideal''. A 57% table with a 60% depth is not all that constitutes ''ideal''. Has anyone else experienced this?
CTP I see plenty of H&A''s that I could not call ideal in terms of light return. This is an ideal-scope image of an example - the upper girdles are leaking a lot - but it has fantastic H&A''s pattern and is an AGS 0.

Cheated2.jpg

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The tytle of this thread couldn''t possibly sound friendly. But... this is a pretty open forum. Anyone says whatever, and that started with just one buyers'' opinion. No store can meet everyone''s expectations, right?

I bet Shane would get it''s own H&A brand if it made commercial sense at this point.

If all those thousands of stones on the PS lists would be superideals, all looking exactly alike aside color, clarity and size. What would all the diamon snobs do ???
9.gif
Retire... go D/IF or bust... what else
20.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks for explaining BR...yes the KoolAid comment had to do with that, I didn't think it needed any explanation but I guess I was wrong.
1.gif

Val...D/IF? NEVER!!! You know better.
9.gif

GD.. I am a very blunt and direct individual, it's not for everyone nor do I mind. I am not heartbroken by anything you have said....I have been here for a few years longer than your 24 hours.

Of course it seemed my point in the previous post went totally unnoticed, which was NO ONE is an expert here but an expert themselves. Everyone has something to learn, even the experts. That's why this site is here.

Blueman33

Shiny_Rock
I''ve read this whole thread. I don''t agree with some statements, but so what.

The biggest thing I see is that the general posting on this thread isn''t very nice.

If you disagree with someone, you don''t have to be disagreeable.

Personally for a newbie to read this thread tells them that the PS group isn''t very nice.

Of course my opinion isn''t that important based on my number of posts, right? The validity of your opinion is based on number of posts, not it''s content or merit.
and I have to get back to running my huge chain of rental properties since more than 3 exist. oh God, I missed a capitalization here and there.

Geezuz, please, just be nice even if you don''t agree with someone.

(flame away mean people, I will not post on this thread again so you can attack without further comment from me, I don''t have the time and inclination)

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/7/2004 1:18:41 AM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)

CTP I see plenty of H&A's that I could not call ideal in terms of light return. This is an ideal-scope image of an example - the upper girdles are leaking a lot - but it has fantastic H&A's pattern and is an AGS 0. 

Garry, I know you take many opportunities to knock H&A, and this time so will I...
1.gif
How can you say the arrows on that image are "fantastic" (especially in 2:30,3:30 and 8:30 positions)? Look in the center and you can see that the hearts patterning will be out as well. Do you have the hearts image? It will be much more telling.

By the way, I hope everyone's day is lovely (Blue-that's for you)
2.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope I get the finer points of the H&A comments but...

wasn''t this pattern meant to indicate top brilliance even when light return cannot be qualified visually but the H&A pattern is? Sort of "as good as measuring brilliance" test ? From this, I concluded that the H&A is indeed a valuable hint, just because the pattern is more readily qualifiable than brilliance.

But then... if the H&A works only if all the details down to 30X magnification are there, what''s the use? If anyone has a microscope at hand, chances are they are professionals perfectly capable to judge brilliance without seeing H&A to begin with.

And the supposed intuitive quality of H&A as a handy quality mark goes away...
7.gif
unless one really likes the symbolism or likes to show the arrows to whoever understands what they are.

Does the H&A mark work at any degree as an elegant, visual clue of cut quality ? What''s the absolute worst diamond that still shows H&A to casual inspection (somewhere below 10x, that is)...

What am I missing here ?

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 12/7/2004 3
6.gif
1:32 AM
Author: JohnQuixote

Date: 12/7/2004 1:18:41 AM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)

CTP I see plenty of H&A''s that I could not call ideal in terms of light return. This is an ideal-scope image of an example - the upper girdles are leaking a lot - but it has fantastic H&A''s pattern and is an AGS 0.

Garry, I know you take many opportunities to knock H&A, and this time so will I...
1.gif
How can you say the arrows on that image are ''fantastic'' (especially in 2:30,3:30 and 8:30 positions)? Look in the center and you can see that the hearts patterning will be out as well. Do you have the hearts image? It will be much more telling.
John I like nice H & A''s.
But not all stones with nice H&A''s are nice stones.
it is a simple warning.

handacheated1.JPG

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/6/2004 9:49:59 PM
Author: GD
I guess you could say there is goog in everyone, GD
Then, Shane Co. is goog.

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Garry, is this another infamous stone from your "Canadian company/brand" of last month?
2.gif

As we all know, there are AGS0 diamonds with poor IdealScope images. However, in the words of the illustrious Rhino, who has arguably performed more hands-on analysis of varying levels of standards in H&A stones than any of us, "Don't show me a diamond ... tell me it has 34.5 crown angles, 40.7 pavilion angles, 56 table then show me an IS Image akin to this ...."

Show me a Sarin/grading report on that diamond and I can perhaps tell you why it didn't get great IS results... For that matter, diamonds with not-so-good IS images can perform well. I'm not insinuating your example does - but I'd need to see the stone to tell you.

Ana - True patterning is a matter of aligning the mirrors. Show me a stone with my my idea of "sweet" proportions and true patterning and you will get fireworks every time.

We visited this subject last month when Garry issued his last PSA for H&A in this thread.

...And since this is quite off-topic from our friends discussing Shane, I suggest further wrangling on this sidebar take place there, mm-kay?
35.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Actually John...your conversation is probably the most useful that this thread has seen in many moons!
9.gif
I'd rather read about this! hehee.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results