shape
carat
color
clarity

Setting the ''fireball'' aka my spess

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/15/2009 10:51:48 PM
Author: Chrono
I love Terry''s work and since she works with high karat gold, your spess will really shine in it.

I like the open design of the Sholdt but the exposed girdle on the north and south end worries me. If you do choose that route, I''d add a collet (collar of metal around the girdle) as added protection.

I wish she had more stuff on her website. I am still trying to get an idea. I like the design of Sholdt, but I probably would not use them because of the open design. I just like the curves on their rings. That is why I was looking at halo styles, because it would be an attractive way to add a layer of protection.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/15/2009 11:00:54 PM
Author: LtlFirecracker
How funny!!! A lot of docs go there for ''conferences'' and go crazy. It is kind of funny to hear stories about middle aged guys partying like they are in college. But I am thinking there are a lot of reconstructive something-and-something''s in South Beach who live there. How could he miss that rock on your left hand???
I have no idea. I was admiring both my rings when he got in the lift (he lives in my building). When I came back, the security guard asked me to state my apartment number, even though it''s in the building''s computer network. Weird.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
That is weird.

So that vendor you pointed out to me, she is perfect for my stacking ring project. Those thin bezel bands are exactly what I am looking for. I think I am going get those done first since I have been meaning to do that.

Who knew that I would ask about one stone, and find a solution for another! But I know the spess will take some time to figure out.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Good idea!

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
I am the minority here
21.gif
- the 3rd setting is the one I like the least. With a center diamond it looks modern, but I just can''t feel it can compliment the fireball much. In yellow gold it will be pretty plain looking, in my opinion. I really prefer the white diamond halo around the fireball to give it some contrast so the color stands out more. Just my 2 cents.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful stone. I like a yellow gold setting, as simple as possible. Just my opinion.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/16/2009 12:43:14 AM
Author: Imdanny
Beautiful stone. I like a yellow gold setting, as simple as possible. Just my opinion.
totally agree.

and it doesn''t need a diamond halo which imo will take away its "star of the show" status. not everyone can have a spess that stands on its own and screams look at me, i can hold my own against a diamond, thank you. this stone pops on its own and should be allowed to do so.

#3 even if only partially bezeled is going to pop and say i''m elegant, i''m classy, i''m to be worn as often as possible, i''m the star of the show.....and it still gives you a taste of some diamonds down the shank, if you''re into diamonds.

mz

ps i''m sorry if i offend those who love/like halos...........diamond halos may have their use/place/function, but i sincerely hope this particular spess does not get one.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Maybe I should not have set my other stones in solitaries without diamonds!

I am starting to agree a bezel will be better than a halo, even it it means it will be hard to re-polish when it comes time for that. I did an extensive google image search, and an extensive search on the forum, and I think that the spess looks better with yellow gold around it vs diamonds, but I liked the idea of having some diamonds in the ring. That is just my opinion of course.

I think I can eliminate the halos, I have other stones that are better suited for one.

So I guess this has got me these, in no order of preference

Modified version of #3, changed to better protect the stone
A plain YG bezel ring
A YG bezel ring with scattered diamonds

MZ - I notice yours has a bezel, and I think it complements the stone beautifully.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Since it''s a concave cut stone, I''d either leave it as a solitaire or put some "unusual" sides (which I''ll explain later) next to it. Because concaves lack one thing which other faceted transparent stones have, scintillation, I don''t think it''s a good idea to surround them with accents or sides in the form of diamonds (or other similar materials) - simply because anything scintillating could steal the show. So what I would place next to it are cabochons, preferably in lighter yellow or white/clear, so that they don''t grab too much attention. A few examples of such materials:

- yellow or clear fire opal cabs
- yellow cat''s eye chrysoberyl (all mentioned are hard to find that small, I know)
- tiny yellow spess/hessonite/malaya cabs (probably the easiest to source)
- yellow or white seed pearls could also work (even easier to find).

In terms of settings I''d recommend something with six prongs, cause you say that you''d like something protective, but would like to avoid a bezel. I''d go with a more subdued, but still warm shade of yellow gold, probably 18k, cause I think things like 22k might be too much for the stone which is not only concave cut, but also not very big. Satin finish might be a good idea, to make it pop.

Hope this helps.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
22k gold does not good prongs/claws make....however, 22k gold semi-bezel/full-bezel does make a lovely setting with spess.....but then i''m prejudiced because my 8.18 spess is set in 22k sem-bezeled gold, polished semi-bezel, hammered shank. given the price of gold right now and if $ is an object, 18k would be great and much preferred over 14k which will just be tooooooooo shiny. however, a brushed gold setting might look good......

i still really like #3 for your spess. i think there are a lot of ways it could be modified to work for you.......

mz

ps good luck!

ma re

Ideal_Rock
MZ, I hear you when you say that a spess can look smashing in 22k, but we have to remember that your stone is kind of a giant compared to the stone in question, so it has a better chance to stand up to the color of gold (so to speak). It''s also a standard cut so it''s much more lively than a concave. That''s why I suggested a "mild" 18k.

DianaBanana

Shiny_Rock
LTL....you should really contact Ocean for this project, she sent me a picture of a Homer spess in the coolest setting I''ve ever seen - the stone sits inside a hand engraved gold cup and the shank is pave''d but not with white diamonds. I''d love to post it for you but she sent me the image in good faith as an example of her work and I don''t know if she''d want me to post it....I really want to though!!
11.gif
31.gif
11.gif

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
and i agreed that 18k would be good.....and way better than 14k.

btw, their used to be a poster some years ago named "Mine" and she had a richard home concave cut which was also set in gold....i just did a search and zero showed up. perhaps the administrator could locate her stone/setting thread?

mz

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ltl,
Have you seen Elle Chris'' Sholdt?

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
No I have not, at least I don''t think I have

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
LT. I think you''d be surprised by Ocean''s pricing. She''s pretty reasonable. I would honestly give Wink a call about it. I think it''s worth at least a querry.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/16/2009 12:26:56 PM
Author: DianaBanana
LTL....you should really contact Ocean for this project, she sent me a picture of a Homer spess in the coolest setting I''ve ever seen - the stone sits inside a hand engraved gold cup and the shank is pave''d but not with white diamonds. I''d love to post it for you but she sent me the image in good faith as an example of her work and I don''t know if she''d want me to post it....I really want to though!!
11.gif
31.gif
11.gif

I have seen a few projects by Ocean with concave cuts. They are all very pretty.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/16/2009 11:32:56 PM
Author: Gypsy
LT. I think you''d be surprised by Ocean''s pricing. She''s pretty reasonable. I would honestly give Wink a call about it. I think it''s worth at least a querry.

I was hoping you would come on here and comment. That is kind of what I was hoping to hear, I love her work! BTW, your ring is what got me interested in Ocean. I love the workmanship. I read some of your old post''s too (I know, I have read way to much), and she seems like someone who is very enjoyable to work with.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/16/2009 7:04:12 PM
Author: Harriet
Ltl,

Have you seen Elle Chris'' Sholdt?

Ok, I did a search, I have seen that ring before, just didn''t recognize the name

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think the sleek lines will show off the fireball.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous stone.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Harriet: I think so too, it is defiantly and option

Marcyc: Thank you very much.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results