shape
carat
color
clarity

What Orange Is Good Orange - On Spessartite

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
Help please, because I am very confused. Thanks!

I received this spessartite today. From seller''s picture it looks wonderful. (see below)

Now I am holding the gem in my hand, and I am not sure what is this color! Orange sure it is, but it is not the orange of any spess I''ve seen before. It is bright orange, pure orange, no brown or any other color tone that I would normally see from other spess pictures I can find.

It definitely has little to none yellow-golden shine that is showing in the seller picture. It looks the color of an orange gummy bear! Is it good or bad?

Will try to paste picture - my shots.

64_12_sb.jpg

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
A very poor shot from my camera phone - just to give an idea. The color is actualy brighter orange, like a candy.

spess_1.jpg

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
Another cell phone shot. I am pulling my hair
29.gif

What color is this? candy orange?

Can someone find a fanta orange spess picture please?

spess_2.jpg

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
well, it''s good if you like it!
36.gif
from the pic you posted it looks very nice. i hope you will take some more pics, so that we can see it better
36.gif
the color looks yummy!
3.gif

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
It is a beautiful color. I am suprised how bright and yummy it is.. and is still that color. Great choice!!! Lovely.. I will look around and see what I am can find in Pictures....

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks belle and MINE.

So that is a good color? I bought it with much enthusiasm, but it arrived with a little surprise. Different than I had expected.

Now I rubbed it with tissue paper and begin to see some shine - it had my finger printes all over. I still don''t know how to put this candy orange color.

Will try with my real cameral tonight, but god knows I am such a poor photographer. Any tips on doing a close up shot? My camera is not bad - cannon g5, but I don''t know how to use the manual functions.

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
OK.. here are some of the things I came up with. I noticed that there are a lot interpretations of the ''Fanta'' orange color. Sorry, still do not know how to post multiple pics.

Here is what someone called Fanta.. this group shows how many different flavors in the orangy there can be

groupfantag.jpg

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
Here is another.. it is called Fanta... but it has some red in it.

sayingfantag.jpg

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
Here is another example of different flavors for spess.

manyspess.jpg

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
i think the color looks very yummy! i hope you can get some good pics. as far as using the camera, really you just have to play with the different settings. once you find the macro mode, you should be able to get some really good close shots. the key to clear close ups is keeping the camera very still while you shoot. best of luck to you! i can''t wait to see more pics!
36.gif

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
These are quite yellowy orange

yellowyg.jpg

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
This is called a Neon orange

neong.jpg

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
Here is a nice orange

orangyprangyg.jpg

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
And I just like the way this one looked so I wanted to share...

justlikedthisone.jpg

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
So personally, I think you got a flavor of spess. IT looks wonderful.. I think that it is a nice color. You can call it fanta, candy, yummy or just MINE!! (as I do all the time I show someone) However you like. I think it is a great stone. If you like it and it speaks to you then that is all that really matters!!!

I think it will look so nice and unique when you set it.. it looks wonderful right now. Be confident... you did really good!

CONGRATS!!!!

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
MINE, thanks for finding so many pictures on the orange.

I think the one most close is the one called neon orange.

It is very yummy now I cleaned it, but not what I expected.

belle, I will play with my cameral tonight and post whatever I can come up with.

Folks, so what is considered a good spess orange? what is top color then?

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
Where is your stone from? Nigeria?

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
It is said to from ''a mine on the river kunene in nambia''

MINE, It also looks very similar to emerald cut you pasted. Thanks for your kind words. Maybe I did not bad. I was panicky because it looks too much like a candy piece instead of gem.
37.gif

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
Taste it to be sure
31.gif
Just kidding. Well.. I do not have an answer.. The one I posted is from Nigeria. Ummm... Did the seller call it a MAnderin Garnet? OR a spess? It is my understanding that it is hard to find an eye clean Manderin... but I am NOT sure... so we may have to wait for an expert to chime in. Many of the Maderin Garnets are ''hazy'' and included.. but the color is what people covet.

Hmmm. You stuck me on that one.. as for the ideal color... I really think that is goingt o be preference. I imagine the ''ideal'' color would be one that was not very reddish or yellowish.. which basically... I am telling you nothing.

Sorry... but stay tuned.. maybe one of the experts can answer better...

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
It tastes - hmm, not so yummy and almost chipped my teeth!
21.gif

It indeed has quite some eye-visible inclusions, all small though. The seller called it ''NEON ORANGE MANDARIN SPESSARTITE GARNET''

I would love it more if it looks exactly like the seller''s picture. Now I am feeling strange about that color.

Here is another one from my phone. I just cannot wait to get home to use my real camera.

spess_3.jpg

velouriaL

Brilliant_Rock
I think it''s very pretty, but it sound like you''re not wild about the stone. Top color for some may not be top color for you... If you''re really not crazy about it, there''s nothing stopping you from sending it back (it the seller allows). Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
spess comes in so many shades of yellow/orange, pure orange, and orange/red that it really is up to the individual preference. i''ve seen what looked to me to be golden descripted as mandarin.

pure orange without yellow or brown seems to be the desired color. but even then it can be a lighter orange to a deeper orange.

no matter what the color, for me i want what can be described as clear or ''water''. there was a thread not too long ago discussing this aspect. then i look at cut and clarity. for me, without the ''water'' aspect, spess can look too much like colored glass.

peace, movie zombie

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
You can always return it (if you can) I think with colored stones, you have to find one that ''talks'' to you. My spess shows a little red, but sometimes shows a more orange. I am sure that it has a little brown to it... and I do see that sometimes too. But the color does appeal to me. When I was finidng pics for you I found some much more yummy than the others. I prefered the ones that looked almost orangy with a little red to them... LIke #3-6 and 7.

Color is a funny thing.. it appeals to something deep within us.. you just have to love it.. and when you find the color you love.... that you know that you have the right color. I am sorry that you are unsure, but base your opinion on what your eyes tell you... not on what the ''ideal'' color would be. As MZ said.. your ideal color might not be the same as someone elses.

I think it is beautiful.. but if it does not ''do'' it for you... try again...

Sagebrush

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
All,

Generally (Historically) speaking the market prefers pure hues to mixed hues. Obviously this is a rule that has a number of exceptions, e.g. padparadscha sapphire, malaya garnet.

If you have read my book (Chapter 3) you know that there are such things as "saturation gamuts" and "gamut limits" this is the tone at which a given hue reaches its maximum saturation. With each hue, red, orange, yellow, green, blue, violet, purple and pink that gamut varies. Some like orange and yellow are light and bright, others like blue and red are dark and rich.

With Spessartite you have a couple of issues: First, there are two types, those with iron, Nigeria, Ramona, California and those without, Namibia, The best of the latter tends to be more highly saturated but, the gems also normally rather included.

So a pure orange spessartite is the most desirable. Tonally, you are at about 20-30% over that you begin to see brown. Of course there are beautiful brownish as well as reddish spessartites and we are free to prefer what we like. The market price, will however, follow the above.

Here are a pair of examples. Still not a pro at uploading and resizing images but they look pretty good to me.

3454w.jpg

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
Richard, as always, your expert opinion helps a great deal. Thanks!

Here is my attempted picture. Not a good photo, but the color is quite true to the gem.

IMG_2750.jpg

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
This pictures shows the sparks when flashlight is used.

IMG_2742.jpg

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
Shown next to my Negeria spess, which has red tone.

Now I begin to like this new orange. Maybe I should have it concaved, then it will look spectacular.

Thanks for all the help!

IMG_2754.JPG

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
OOOHHH that is just lucious!! I love it!!! LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT!!! I am glad that you are are starting to like it. I think it is a wonderful color and a great piece!!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks MINE for loving it - even from my bad bad pictures. Here is another one - as you can see why I thought it is candy color and couldn''t connect it to a sparkly gem. What do you think of concave cutting it? You see, the spark in the other picture are more reaction to the flashlight. Under my kitchen light right now, it doesn''t shine as my red spess. Maybe it is the inclusion (the seller gave an honest SI and I agree but they are quite small), or it the native cut?

IMG_2749.JPG

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
If you all bear with my poor picture quality, here is another one that shows the true color of the two.

IMG_2751.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results