shape
carat
color
clarity

Setting ideas for star sapphire?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ohh I like the one w/the opal!

litebrite

Shiny_Rock
No prob, this is really fun and you have a very inspiration worthy piece to design around. I can see why you put it on layaway. And it helps sate my own incurable desire for jewelry (ie, cheaper than me buying a bunch of stuff!)

Although I did go crazy on ebay before I left on the weekend and I kinda hoped I''d get outbid on everything and when I came back, whaddya know? I was!

Found these other Fay Cullen ones. I know some people have complained about craftsmanship, but not bad as inspiration. I have never bought so I have no personal experience but am positively drooling over these pieces:

Clean modern lines with "handles" for bezels (lets the ring shine through): http://www.faycullen.com/bargain_hunter/200/e1220r9s.html

8 prongs to hold you: http://www.faycullen.com/royal_collection/500/300md.html

delicate lacy halo: http://www.faycullen.com/royal_collection/500/546md.html

let your light shine through (filigree profile): http://www.faycullen.com/_pics/800/f711r9sd/5.jpg
matches this listing: http://www.faycullen.com/antique_engagement_rings/800/f711r9sd.html

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Wow!! I love that last one!!

litebrite

Shiny_Rock
I really like that first Fay Cullen that you picked too. I was just about to repost it!

I think that an open or filigree profile would match your YG bezel ring nicely since the sapphires (star and is that old mine cut or rose cut? I am new to the older cuts) have that same lovely watery tone.

Personally, I''d set it in a nice antique/ Art Deco or Elvish type setting. Though for clean and sleek here''s a Mark Morrell that could be adapted to a cab: http://www.mwmjewelry.com/January-05/slides/Andy-T-CP-001.html

And here''s a MM emerald with tapered shank that I could see holding a sapphire star: http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.pricescope.com/images/thumbnails/brands/markmorrell.gif&imgrefurl=http://www.pricescope.com/designers.aspx&usg=__fsWgiiJqSHA-idpOdKkw4jh_dcc=&h=96&w=128&sz=7&hl=en&start=41&um=1&tbnid=I09g40nbHM0XuM:&tbnh=68&tbnw=91&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dmark%2Bmorrell%26ndsp%3D18%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US
6.gif
fficial%26sa%3DN%26start%3D36%26um%3D1

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Mark Morrell is my hands down favorite designer!! Have you ever seen my sapphire ring? I do like the DNA type twisted shank setting!

Gotgold

Rough_Rock
Personally, I love this setting;

[Link removed by Moderator - FORUM VIOLATION]

It may be a mans setting, but my girlfriend has one similar to the ring in the video and she loves it, so much in fact that she's been bugging me to resize the ring in the video for her to wear.

Heck NO! It's MINE.

litebrite

Shiny_Rock
That''s a really nice setting too and I think it would work for a woman although I can see why you want to keep it as well. It''s so funny that we''re so entranced by shiny things that we make videos and spend all this time mooning over our pretty stones. Of course, I include myself in this - I watched about 2-2.5 hours of GOG videos on different diamonds last week.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Hey Up,
probably a bit predictable on my part, but for a gorgeous cab shape I must
vote for JM, he just does them so well.
How about something like this?

jm cab for up1.jpg

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
also, still JM but diff. ring - he is doing these elevated bezels lately
which I find really interesting.
Kinda similiar to that wide yellow gold ring you posted earlier..

you could combine this style bezel with something like the above..?

jm for up.2.jpg

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
and last one..as I''ve always dug this idea of having the design kinda "grow"
over a really large cab..
Love This!
30.gif

jm for up.3.jpg

pwendyp

Shiny_Rock
Uppy!!

I dreamt about this bloomin' stone last night! Crazy huh!

So far...I like the Fay Cullen you liked, with the little 'keystones' - that one is gorgeous! And of course, the two Leon halos you have looked at...

I'm liking big and bold too - and someone posted some links to GreenLake - I was also browsing there last night - they have some gorgeous inspiration.

You have your e-ring and band in white metal...your EricaGrace eternity in yellow, the singlestone in yellow, and your new JM coming in mixed colour?.

I vote for doing this piece in white metal...I know some say it might wash out the colour...or highlight the 'winter' - 'cool' and 'serene' them of the stone beautifully.

I dreamt of it in a big bold band - smooth metal, perhaps a satin finish, with 'rails' on the outer edges, and the stone just bezelled. The band would taper as it comes away from the stone a little, for comfort under your finger. The rails could be done in a different shade of white - a slightly grey metal maybe?

I also wondered about highlighting the 'snowy/winter' theme of the stone - by perhaps having engraving all over the 'inner' portion of the band, within the rails. with maybe maybe maybe...some tiny little diamonds scattered over also...gyspy set for safety...like sparkling frost...gawd...I'm getting poetic!

I guess the choices are as simple as you make them...

Winter or summer theme...depending on how you view the stone - I see it as a winter theme...cool and serene...
Ornate and deco - or bold and 'look at me'!

I think if you went bold and 'look at me' as a RHR - it would sit perfectly, when you wear your e-ring and band in white metal. A little engraving, might give a nice 'nod' to your gorgeous e-ring set...

That's my thinking thus far...this stone has sure got me fired up!

I wonder if anyone could photoshop your stone into one or two settings...and these are two that have inspired my dream I think!!

JuliaKayTaylor

JuliaKayTaylorBezelDiamond.jpg

pwendyp

Shiny_Rock
From...Greenlake

S14299
MTG_C_10002

and...totally unrelated...but I love love love this!!

1.gif

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Wendy, I can''t believe you''re dreaming about my project!! I thank you for the new thoughts. I love Greenlake''s work, especially their engraving!

And AJJ, where are those JM cab rings posted? They are beautiful!!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
18.gif

ssam.jpg

litebrite

Shiny_Rock
I forgot all about the CM cabs, there are quite a few stunners.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/14/2009 5:52:00 PM
Author: Upgradable
18.gif

That one by Julia is one of my FAV. Gypsy just had a peridot ring made by her in that design and it looks fantastic!! There''s a thread over in Colored Stones about it.

kimikocat

Shiny_Rock
Hi Upgradeable!

Since the first ring you posted was vintage-inspired -- have you seen Widget''s star ruby ring? You can find pix in her thread. Here. It''s a Van Craeynest setting.

If you are looking for something simpler and more modern, I love the James Meyer and Caleb Meyer options posted above. Along those lines, I was poking around in a local jewelry store on Monday, and they had some lovely Etruscan-inspired pieces - rich 22K gold with colored gemstone centers. (One of my favorites was an oval green tourmaline ring, wish I had shot some photos). The gold kind of heightens the color.

Here''s a link to some designers (found via Google Image search, I don''t know their work) who work in this style, so you can get an idea of what it looks like. Link

Kimi

blingergrrrl

Brilliant_Rock
awwwww...so many pretty ones already posted!

How about something like this?

sapphdiamgoldbezel.jpg

blingergrrrl

Brilliant_Rock
mmmm, I likey! ;-)

bestpictureonmyfingerYAY502.jpg

UCLABelle

Ideal_Rock
Okay that Fay Cullen is a beautiful setting! I am sure a trusted jewelry could make something similar. I have a star sapphire, but it is set in a plain gold band (yellow gold). I inherited it.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the continuing beautiful suggestions!!!

I have quotes out all over the universe for the different designs. I''m going to have to see what quotes come in at, and then go into major fund raising mode. I probably won''t have the $$ ready until the beginning of the new year.

So, until then, keep the inspiration coming!!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
This is one of my favorite threads to keep checking! I never knew I liked cabs so much! And..I keep changing my mind on which one I like the best for yours!

kimikocat

Shiny_Rock
Upgradeable -

I saw this on Lang''s website, and thought of you!

kimi

1242162751_Art_Deco_Star_Sapphire_130-65-73_2.jpg

litebrite

Shiny_Rock

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/24/2009 11:02:30 AM
Author: kimikocat
Upgradeable -

I saw this on Lang''s website, and thought of you!

kimi
Oooooo..... very pretty!! And this is just about the same color as mine!

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Here''s another pretty etsy option!

il_fullxfull_27097169.jpg

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/24/2009 10:38:57 PM
Author: Upgradable
Here''s another pretty etsy option!
That rose quartz is lovely Uppy - have you got a link?

I love this thread and all the ideas. I might just hijack one for my prehnite.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results