shape
carat
color
clarity

Setting ideas for star sapphire?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
I have this star sapphire on layaway with my local jeweler. It is going to take me at least six months to pay it off, but in the interim I would love to have some mounting ideas from you.

Some basic info: stone is 12mm x 10mm x 9mm deep (big, fat belly). I would consider this to be a right hand ring, possibly even sized for my middle finger.

I would consider all metal colors, am very open to non-traditional designs. If I go traditional with this, I would want an art deco style mounting.

What options can you think of?

bestpictureonmyfingerYAY.JPG

bestpictureonmyfingerYAY50%.JPG

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
And here's a picture of a very traditional art deco mounting that I love. Only problem is that it is Fay Cullen, and it cannot be ordered in the size I need for this stone.

faycullencompilation.JPG

bestpictureonmyfingerYAY50.JPG

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
My favorite place to look for inspiration for colored stones is the Spectrum Awards page at AGTA.

I like this one from the 2009 collection.

2009entry108.jpg

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
swear to goodness, girl - you buy *this* one and i''m coming over to OK and nailing that baby to your finger!

i have no suggestions - you know i can''t even pull the trigger on my own 5 stone design! - but i know whatever you do will be gorgeous.

nice purchase, uppy - congratulations, my friend :)

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Oh honey, this will be the culmination of my jewelry fascination. I'll let you, maybe not nail it, but definitely superglue it to my finger!! I promise, if it turns out the way I'm hoping, I'll never let it go!

And Kismet...... I love the two tone look with the gemstone!! I'm going off to cruise the AGTA site.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Look at this stunner from Leon! Sleek and minimal but still classic. Ooh la la!

Leon r942.jpg

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/9/2009 11:58:27 AM
Author: Upgradable

This, this, this! For sure. I love it. Will be stunning and let the stone (gorgeous, by the way) shine.

I love your projects, Upgradable! I will enjoy following this one, I am sure it will turn out beautifully!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ohhh yes do the Leon!!

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not sure if you like this idea or not,. I know it doesn't show with a cab, but thought I'd just throw this design out as well.

artdecosettingidea1.JPG

me&myboys

Shiny_Rock
now that would be stunning!!!

how exciting!!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
D&T, thanks for looking, but I think something like that would end up being too bulky once the stone was set.

Here''s a Caleb Meyer that could be pretty.

Caleb Meyer 544-J-864.jpg

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/11/2009 2:09:42 PM
D&T, thanks for looking, but I think something like that would end up being too bulky once the stone was set.

Here''s a Caleb Meyer that could be pretty.
true true, let your star shine with less stuff to hinder it. I love the leon Idea. and this is very Beautiful too... Are you close to making a decision?

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ah, look at that! You have to go with the Leon style!!!

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
I can't believe you guys are so kind and indulgent with me! I just got back from a local jeweler with a total new idea. I wish I had a picture.

Wide, flat, polished yellow gold band just wider than the stone with the star smooth bezel set above it. The band tapers from about 14mm in the front to about 7mm in the back. Totally modern, sleek look! My jeweler calls it his Lipstick Ring.

So, D&T... I guess I'd have to say NO!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I can''t really picture it in my head, but it sounds cool! It''s so fun to pick out settings!

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
I''m just so all over the place!

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
This etsy ring is made with blue chalcedony and gold and silver, but is this sort of what you are thinking of? BTW, the artist is ThreeAngelsForge. I love this design. ETA: Your star sapphire is beautiful!

il_430xN_71682098.jpg

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
That''s how you figure out what exactly you''re looking for tho! You''ll start to narrow it down at some point. Do you have pictures of all the ideas you like together so they''re easier to browse?

04diamond<3

Ideal_Rock

It would look STUNNING in this setting!!!!!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

ksluice

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/9/2009 10:40:51 AM

And here''s a picture of a very traditional art deco mounting that I love. Only problem is that it is Fay Cullen, and it cannot be ordered in the size I need for this stone.

faycullencompilation.JPG

If it were me, I think I would go a custom mount inspired by this one...the little "keystones" at 12,3,6 and 9 are wonderful, and I think they would play spectacularly off the directionality of the star.

radiant lover

Rough_Rock
such a pretty sapphire!!! I really like the leon setting someone posted. It would look phenom in that!

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Well, here''s a completely different approach! A wide yellow gold bezel holding the star. Any thought on this one?

lipstick composite.JPG

radiant lover

Rough_Rock
I still really like the Leon setting! I think the halo and white gold would make it pop more. The yellow wide band is too chunky

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/13/2009 12:20:03 PM
Well, here''s a completely different approach! A wide yellow gold bezel holding the star. Any thought on this one?
I like it. That''s more my style, but I am totally not a halo gal.

That would be a very wearable, very distinctive piece. Cool!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Are you thinking halo or simpler bezel type? After seeing the CM you posted, and the Lipstick Ring, and Etsy ring, I like those ideas a lot too. They''re more..not plain, but simple I guess. The Lipstick Ring is pretty big tho..do you like a wide shank like that? No matter what you put it in, the sucker''s still going to be an attention grabber!

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
I like that my jewelry wardrobe is diverse. I like to have pieces that meet different needs and have different looks. I have white and yellow, delicate and chunky. The Leon is by far the most elegant of the options so far (but I''m concerned it is similar to my ering, and I just got the quote from Leon
23.gif
).

I have my sleek, minimal Mark Morrell cross prong platinum sapphire, but not anything that is clean and bold. The reason I''m leaning toward the wide bands is 1) it''s different than anything else I have 2) it''s the cheapest option.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh well heck, there''s your answer! Big N bold baby!

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
I like the CM design, though I''m discouraged by the experiences shared regarding how difficult it is to contact and get consistent info from his staff. Also, I have a James Meyer on the way, so right now..... SLEEK ''N BOLD is leading the race!

litebrite

Shiny_Rock
I would take a look at Greenlake jewelers - they have some pretty unique ideas for settings, and they can totally make en elvenstar, Galadriel type ring for you :)

Here''s one that I saw http://www.greenlakejewelry.com/gallery/newimgs/final/S14752%20(4).jpg

Or here''s another: http://www.greenlakejewelry.com/gallery/newimgs/final/32873.jpg

http://www.greenlakejewelry.com/gallery/newimgs/final/Calla%20Lilly%20Hand%20Fab.jpg

http://www.greenlakejewelry.com/gallery/newimgs/final/MTG_A_40615.jpg

Here''s a very unique bezel with filigree: http://www.greenlakejewelry.com/gallery/newimgs/final/MTG_C_10020.jpg

Ooh, I really like this bezel look with two small diamonds on either side: http://www.greenlakejewelry.com/gallery/newimgs/final/S14958.jpg

Now I''ll stop because I''m having too much fun!

Also I like the idea of YG just because I wouldn''t want to wash out the pale blue.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Litebrite, thanks for the wonderful examples!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results