shape
carat
color
clarity

Setting for an AVR...poll

Which setting would you choose for an AVR?

• The classic Vatche Tiffany so multiple wedding bands would work, including the Victor Canera french

Votes: 38 43.7%
  • The Van Craeynest setting because it is perfect with an old style cut stone.

Votes: 49 56.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, Skippy! yes, that is very similar!

Stargurl, I am sorry if I missed where you suggested that ring before. I have always liked that setting but was trying not to let myself have too many choices! I really like the setting I have now except that it isn't exactly special for the stone I hope to get. So when I decided I needed to reconsider a plainer setting, I was forced to expand my options! I like the tiny double prongs on kmom's setting and I want the height of the head up a little higher. This looks a little like Leon height and I need the shank higher or something so bands can work with the ring. I do like the JBEG version without the side pieces, too.

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1347561551|3267645 said:
Thanks, Skippy! yes, that is very similar!

Stargurl, I am sorry if I missed where you suggested that ring before. I have always liked that setting but was trying not to let myself have too many choices! I really like the setting I have now except that it isn't exactly special for the stone I hope to get. So when I decided I needed to reconsider a plainer setting, I was forced to expand my options! I like the tiny double prongs on kmom's setting and I want the height of the head up a little higher. This looks a little like Leon height and I need the shank higher or something so bands can work with the ring. I do like the JBEG version without the side pieces, too.

Don't apologize DS!! I'm glad you are reconsidering plainer antique settings since they seem to fit your style a bit more. You're right that the Sophie in that pic does look a bit low.

I can't wait to see how this ring turns out! Any word back from GOG on a possible diamond yet?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, the diamond I am interested in is expected in the next week or so and then it has to be sent to AGS. So it might be a couple of weeks before I get to see the pictures, etc.

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
Having seen the VC on your hand now, I think it's good you're considering simpler settings still in the antique style. The VC is lovely, but more ornate than I might like for an everyday ring. I think something in between the VC and the Vatche is in order, so I think you're heading down the right path -- still a solitaire but one more suited for an antique-style stone!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Demelza|1347563025|3267663 said:
Having seen the VC on your hand now, I think it's good you're considering simpler settings still in the antique style. The VC is lovely, but more ornate than I might like for an everyday ring. I think something in between the VC and the Vatche is in order, so I think you're heading down the right path -- still a solitaire but one more suited for an antique-style stone!

Thanks, Dem! I am glad you think I may be headed in a better direction. It's funny but I was just thinking about your new setting. I think it has a good balance of having character without being too ornate as well.

armywife13

Ideal_Rock
Skippy|1347560663|3267640 said:
diamondseeker2006|1347559992|3267633 said:
Skippy|1347558480|3267612 said:
diamondseeker2006|1347557197|3267594 said:

SingleStone has something similar and I would go for the SS version.

Do you have any pictures, Skippy? Apparently it is hard to get profile pictures from them now. Have you decided on a setting for your stone?

here it is file.jpg

not yet, I am being super slack about it! lol
I absolutely adore this setting. This gets my vote!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
armywife13|1347563660|3267669 said:
Skippy|1347560663|3267640 said:

Do you have any pictures, Skippy? Apparently it is hard to get profile pictures from them now. Have you decided on a setting for your stone?

here it is file.jpg

not yet, I am being super slack about it! lol
I absolutely adore this setting. This gets my vote!

Yes, I really like this! I think you're on to something now!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh no Cookie, that is Terrible!!! :errrr: VC is amazing!!!

DS, I also loved the VC rings you posted in the VC thread :love:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MGR...thanks! It does sound like a lot of people favor that kind of style!

Skippy, thanks! Those are samples I have here now. They are posted on this thread a couple of pages back, too. I am worried about the wedding set being too ornate because I need them to be a little more simple for when I wear my Beaudry right hand rings that are engraved and have diamonds and milgrain.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think you should get a simper solitaire BUT have it hand crafter perhaps, or add engraving and filigree in some way to make it more antique. Victor does lovely engraving, but stylistically his work does not look antiquey to me at all. Single stone do not hand forge their rings as far as I know, but their work is much much more in keeping with antique estetics. Nothing beats the real thing, though, when it comes to antique mounts :Up_to_something:

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock

DS, sorry I meant to comment on the profile pic; Ari posted here that it was only a temporary thing (due to designs being copied) :(( , so that is good news! [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/vendor-policy-at-singlestone-yay-or-nay.179670/page-2']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/vendor-policy-at-singlestone-yay-or-nay.179670/page-2[/URL]

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cookie...I also talked to Paul! You might want to edit out all that info above since he may not have informed many others related to the business yet!

Skippy...that is good news! I'll go check that thread.

Dreamer...I think Victor can make anything, but he probably just hasn't been asked to make a ring like that. I think his engraving is right up there with the very best. His work is so perfect. But, he may not be interested in that style work at all. I am sure he'll tell me if not. I'm just not sure who I'd get to do it otherwise. And those fleur-de-lis would have to be perfect or it would drive me nuts! I'd definitely love an original setting with an OEC! But I think with a new stone, I'll just go with a new antique style setting. If you have other picture ideas, let me know!

cookies

Brilliant_Rock
DS, it's too late for me to edit my previous posts, but I've reported concern to the Admin, asking for my previous posts to be removed.

I told Paul I would post again to clarify things up. He didn't object to it, so I thought it would be fine. Now I think of it, I probably shouldn't talk about other people's business plan in public. Anyway, I hope the Admin could delete my posts soon.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think that is a good idea, Cookie! That way he can make announcements when he is ready!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I glad to see that VC will still be making rings...I truly love their pieces and someday hope to own one.

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock

Yes! Just enough extra to not be a plain solitaire (which I think is more suited to modern cuts), but still simple! And double claw prongs. I think that helps increase the slight "antique" feel. And maybe set a little higher....??? Like maybe on a little donut or something?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
bastetcat|1347654802|3268252 said:

Yes! Just enough extra to not be a plain solitaire (which I think is more suited to modern cuts), but still simple! And double claw prongs. I think that helps increase the slight "antique" feel. And maybe set a little higher....??? Like maybe on a little donut or something?

Yes, exactly! I would want it higher and with double claw prongs! Very good!

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1347544001|3267423 said:
Just for the record, I adore ksmom's beautiful set (1.6 cushion, Leon solitaire, VC band):

This is gorgeous and it looks very 'you'. I was all for the VanC but this is gorgeous, classic, with a splash of character and interest. So, I change my vote to a design similar to ksmoms. Would you still be using platinum or would you consider rg?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Christina...|1347725324|3268631 said:
diamondseeker2006|1347544001|3267423 said:
Just for the record, I adore ksmom's beautiful set (1.6 cushion, Leon solitaire, VC band):

This is gorgeous and it looks very 'you'. I was all for the VanC but this is gorgeous, classic, with a splash of character and interest. So, I change my vote to a design similar to ksmoms. Would you still be using platinum or would you consider rg?

Christina, I think rose gold looks fabulous with ksmom's skin tone, but I would be afraid to do rose gold for my main wedding set. I'd LOVE to do a right hand ring in rg, though!!!

I will either do something similar to hers or else just do the Van C with a plain milgrain edge wedding band. It just all depends on how the diamond options turn out.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, that is a really pretty band, Christina! Tiffany really has great bands!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D|1347570054|3267733 said:
I think you should get a simper solitaire BUT have it hand crafter perhaps, or add engraving and filigree in some way to make it more antique. Victor does lovely engraving, but stylistically his work does not look antiquey to me at all. Single stone do not hand forge their rings as far as I know, but their work is much much more in keeping with antique estetics. Nothing beats the real thing, though, when it comes to antique mounts :Up_to_something:

Hm, I never asked them, but I thought that SS did hand forge?

Also, I like the SS ring better here than the JBEG one, although having seen the JBEG one in person (Burk's), it's definitely a lovely setting.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
TravelingGal|1347764548|3268944 said:
Dreamer_D|1347570054|3267733 said:

Hm, I never asked them, but I thought that SS did hand forge?

Also, I like the SS ring better here than the JBEG one, although having seen the JBEG one in person (Burk's), it's definitely a lovely setting.

I cannot recall where I read or heard that SS rings are usually cast, so its something interested parties will have to take up themselves with the designer! I seem to recall reading they have different benches they use for different styles so maybe some are hand forged soem not :read: Anyways, I love SS work its the prices that make me :errrr:

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ah, got it. They're probably like 23rd street. Have different benches for different things.

I'm learning the difference between handmade, handforged, etc. I'm starting to wonder if my Leon ring is handforged or not, lol.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Both the JBEG and SS rings are set too low to me. I'd use those ideas for a design but wouldn't have either of those made as is. But I am still looking at setting designs!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results