shape
carat
color
clarity

Setting for an AVR...poll

Which setting would you choose for an AVR?

• The classic Vatche Tiffany so multiple wedding bands would work, including the Victor Canera french

Votes: 38 43.7%
  • The Van Craeynest setting because it is perfect with an old style cut stone.

Votes: 49 56.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, I am so indecisive when it comes to settings! I have the same dilemma EVERY time! Please just shoot me if I ever start over again! I do not have the new diamond yet because Jonathan is expecting one in that I want to see, so I am just pre-planning!

I LOVE my Vatche Tiffany repro and it would allow me to wear my current Legacy band plus allow me the option to add another such as a Victor Canera french cut band or the BK with sapphires. But extra bands involve a lot of money, and I am not sure I need to do that. I would miss having the Tiffany setting, though, because it is so simple and elegant and just shows off the diamond.

I have always loved the Van Craeynest 484 and how perfect it would be with an AVR or OEC!!! It would be an heirloom ring for sure! I am not sure that the matching band wouldn't be too much, plus it might rub against the design on the side. I would probably wear it alone some and sometimes with the Legacy band

Here are the two choices....the Vatche Tiffany and then the Van Craeynest....

avr.jpg

vancraeynestcollage.jpg

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
I know you LOVE your Vatche setting and have always been so happy with it. IMO, I would think that you would prefer that. You have a different look with your RHR (the glorious 3 stone blue sapphire!) but for the ering, you seem to be more of a traditional solitaire person who appreciates the classics. The Vatche is definitely a classic and it gives you band options.

That's what I voted for

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Enerchi|1347050678|3263900 said:
I know you LOVE your Vatche setting and have always been so happy with it. IMO, I would think that you would prefer that. You have a different look with your RHR (the glorious 3 stone blue sapphire!) but for the ering, you seem to be more of a traditional solitaire person who appreciates the classics. The Vatche is definitely a classic and it gives you band options.

That's what I voted for

Gosh, you do have a good point about the Beaudry ring. And I just bought a second one that needs a colored stone as well. That is definitely something to consider! Thanks, Enerchi!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
:oops: lol! I have my moments.... ;))

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Enerchi|1347051065|3263907 said:
:oops: lol! I have my moments.... ;))

This is why polls here are SO helpful...our jewelry friends can look at things much more rationally than we can when trying to make a tough decision. It will be interesting to see how this poll turns out!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I voted for the VC, only because I think it would just look so gorgeous with the AVC. My original e-ring was an OEC that I reset into a solitaire and although lovely, I just love the added charm of an old world setting and the VC being die struck heirlooms would be such a plus for me. Of course the vatche is very classic so I don't think you can make a wrong choice. However, you loved the VC from the very beginning, you've had several different solitaires and the VC still always come back into the running. Good point about the beaudry's but they are still different than what would be your main wedding set. Maybe just keep the 1.58 and have the best of both worlds :halo:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
mrssalvo|1347051349|3263914 said:
I voted for the VC, only because I think it would just look so gorgeous with the AVC. My original e-ring was an OEC that I reset into a solitaire and although lovely, I just love the added charm of an old world setting and the VC being die struck heirlooms would be such a plus for me. Of course the vatche is very classic so I don't think you can make a wrong choice. However, you loved the VC from the very beginning, you've had several different solitaires and the VC still always come back into the running. Good point about the beaudry's but they are still different than what would be your main wedding set. Maybe just keep the 1.58 and have the best of both worlds :halo:

That is an excellent point as well! If I did sell that stone, the thought crossed my mind to buy a rounded cushion AVC and set it in the Van Craeynest and put the AVR in a Vatche Tiffany. I am thinking that would run over budget, though!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I voted VC - simply because you have wanted one for so very long. I think the AVR would do well in that setting as well. After having had a MRB in the Vatche, I'm afraid the comparison might not please you. The RB has lines and precision whereas the AVR has more of an all over sparkle effect. Just not sure that your eye would accept the difference in the stones in the same mounting. Not sure that makes sense to you but in my head it makes perfect sense! Ha!

I think you don't want to do this again so go for the gold and get exactly what you want. Not sure if you are still pursuing selling your RB in the Vatche setting - you might have two rings to work with but if not, you could recreate the Vatche again somewhere down the road if you missed it terribly.

I think different stones require different settings to really showcase them so my vote is the VC!

Are you still thinking 1.80 or better for an AVR? Still I color or maybe something different in a new stone Jonathan sources for you?

I saw GOG posted a three stone AVR in a Vatche Swan setting - thought for sure that it was yours!!

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I'm voting for the VC, both for the selfish reason that *I* want to see it, and for the more pertinent reason that I think you adore quality and fine workmanship and you would derive tremendous satisfaction from the pairing of a perfectly cut stone in the old style matched to a perfectly worked setting in the old style.

Also, I'm a big fan of marrying the simple to the unexpected: I think your Vatche would look smashing with a really fine precision-cut stone. Just think of the options you'd have .... :naughty:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MissGotRocks|1347052437|3263931 said:
I voted VC - simply because you have wanted one for so very long. I think the AVR would do well in that setting as well. After having had a MRB in the Vatche, I'm afraid the comparison might not please you. The RB has lines and precision whereas the AVR has more of an all over sparkle effect. Just not sure that your eye would accept the difference in the stones in the same mounting. Not sure that makes sense to you but in my head it makes perfect sense! Ha!

I think you don't want to do this again so go for the gold and get exactly what you want. Not sure if you are still pursuing selling your RB in the Vatche setting - you might have two rings to work with but if not, you could recreate the Vatche again somewhere down the road if you missed it terribly.

I think different stones require different settings to really showcase them so my vote is the VC!

Are you still thinking 1.80 or better for an AVR? Still I color or maybe something different in a new stone Jonathan sources for you?

I saw GOG posted a three stone AVR in a Vatche Swan setting - thought for sure that it was yours!!

Whoa! That is a killer ring! ;( But not mine, unfortunately! Maybe I should have added that option to my choices!

But yes, I am still aiming for a 1.80. He may be getting in an H color and I want to see it to compare to the I color one I already saw.

Thanks for your thoughts..I do get what you meant!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Circe|1347052811|3263935 said:
I'm voting for the VC, both for the selfish reason that *I* want to see it, and for the more pertinent reason that I think you adore quality and fine workmanship and you would derive tremendous satisfaction from the pairing of a perfectly cut stone in the old style matched to a perfectly worked setting in the old style.

Also, I'm a big fan of marrying the simple to the unexpected: I think your Vatche would look smashing with a really fine precision-cut stone. Just think of the options you'd have .... :naughty:

Yes, you have just reiterated exactly why I have a dilemma! :bigsmile:

We are about to go out to dinner...so I will be checking in later to see any additional responses!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Knowing you, watching you, and listening to you all these years-- I would stick with the Vatche.

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the versatility and simplicity of the Tiffany repro, especially when used in combination w/ other bands for the left hand (love the Victor Canera french cut band)! Now if we're talking about RHR, then I think the VC setting will work fine as a stand alone ring! It really depends upon the look you are going for!

But in the end, I voted for option #1.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My only concern with the VC is the wedding band. I suppose it would work with the Tiffany band but wouldn't know for sure unless I saw them together. They could probably make you something else other than the matching band to go with the ering - like something that would be the right height but narrower than the matching band and sprinkled with diamonds or something.

Even though you see reasons for the VC and the Vatche, are you leaning any particular way? I think sometimes you have to go with the intuition that you feel about a stone paired with a setting.

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I voted Vatche' because I love the idea of stackers...different stackers depending on your mood....

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy....I do think since I am normally in very casual clothes that it is appealing to have a simple set. I think that is my one worry about the VC. And Enerchi was right that I have the antique style rings as RHR's and I am more likely to wear a RHR when I am a little more dressed up than capris and a t-shirt!

mom2boys...I do so adore that french cut band! I think that is a case of absolutely really loving a particular piece. It doesn't show in the picture, but the video of that ring is gorgeous. Of course, the Van Craeynest ring is very beautiful as well, but it definitely would not work with the french cut band!

MGR...Yes, you are right that it is a problem not to know if the Legacy band would work with the VC ring. (This is weird because VC are the initials for Victor Canera and Van Craeynest!!!) The matching band is beautiful, but it is not as versatile as a band like the french cut band would be. I am not really leaning one way or the other. If I went with the VanC, then I might keep my current diamond in the Vatche setting because I hate to give it up. On the other hand, I am not sure I really need two solitaires! The downside of setting the AVR in the Tiffany is that the band I really want, the VC french cut, is sooo expensive. I think it is a masterpiece of a band,though. Victor's engraving and double milgrain with the french cut stones are just incredible!

Mayk...yes, that is one reason I chose the Vatche Tiffany in the first place. If you need a change, just get a new band! I do think it is the perfect solitaire setting, but I know the AVR would be so beautiful in the VanC!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think I'm still voting VC. I am personally not a two ering girl. I would get the stone that I loved in the setting that I loved and call it a day. One outstanding ering instead of two. That's not to say that the Victor wedding band wouldn't work with the VC setting - I'm sure he could modify the edges or milgrain or whatever to be a good pairing with the ering. While I think you enjoy having some versatility in bands, I'm not sure you are a stacking band person either so you would really only need a band or two! You have some other lovely RHRs and may want another at some point so don't know that I'd want to invest any more money in wedding sets.

Just some random thoughts thrown out there and you know I wish you all the luck in the world with your choices and decisions. In the end though, it comes down to what you really want and what works for your lifestyle on a daily basis. Dress up is always fun but I think I'd rather make my decision based on what I would wear and enjoy every day. Fortunately, both of your choices will work as neither ering is too elaborate for daily wear!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, MGR...I actually think you are right that I should focus on having one e-ring that I really love. I am sure I'd end up wearing the one I loved most all the time anyway!

MyDiamondSparkles

Brilliant_Rock
<-------- if you'll notice the gal on the left hasn't set her OMC as she can't decide on Vatche or an antique style...sigh. :blackeye:

So I voted on the way I am leaning, which is solitaire with a French cut band or OEC band and a few antique stackers. I was relieved to see that this is the way the majority of the votes are leaning right now, because it makes me feel better about my *almost* decision. :wink2:

And really, when you think about it, a solitaire is really an antique setting, kind of like this is: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180960852286#ht_1824wt_948 and then you can have fun with antique bands.Oh and how did I miss that you already have a Legacy band-- be still my heart. :love: Then, if you get bored with a setting you just buy another band, cheaper than a reset. :naughty:

Okay, so I'm off to peruse the VC line up, just so I can stall the decision a few days more. HA! :naughty:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1347065617|3264057 said:
Thanks, MGR...I actually think you are right that I should focus on having one e-ring that I really love. I am sure I'd end up wearing the one I loved most all the time anyway!

Yes, I think that really would be the case. I know some people like having multiples to switch up and if that's what they love, I'm all for it! I'm just the kind of person that would focus my time and money on one great ring but again it's a personal choice.

I'm gonna leave you alone now - I'm sure you'll get all sorts of thoughts and opinions from other PSers - that's what makes this a great place. Lots of points of view to consider and mull over. Keep us posted on your progress!

texaskj

Brilliant_Rock
Would you consider wearing the VC by itself, without a wedding band?
Can Jonathan shoot videos of the stone sitting in each setting? That might be all you need to decide.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MyDiamondSparkles|1347065670|3264058 said:
<-------- if you'll notice the gal on the left hasn't set her OMC as she can't decide on Vatche or an antique style...sigh. :blackeye:

So I voted on the way I am leaning, which is solitaire with a French cut band or OEC band and a few antique stackers. I was relieved to see that this is the way the majority of the votes are leaning right now, because it makes me feel better about my *almost* decision. :wink2:

And really, when you think about it, a solitaire is really an antique setting, kind of like this is: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180960852286#ht_1824wt_948 and then you can have fun with antique bands.

Okay, so I'm off to peruse the VC line up, just so I can stall the decision a few days more. HA! :naughty:

Okay, well it is good I am not alone!!! It IS a big decision! And yes, the Tiffany crown style setting has been around since the period that OEC's were cut, so really, it is a period appropriate setting, just a little moderized!

I can't wait to see what you decide! But your stone won't need an elaborate setting because it is so big and beautiful!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
texaskj|1347066156|3264063 said:
Would you consider wearing the VC by itself, without a wedding band?
Can Jonathan shoot videos of the stone sitting in each setting? That might be all you need to decide.

Yes, I think the VanC would be fine as a standalone ring. I already have the Vatche setting so I know what that one looks like! But the Van Craeynest is in CA, so there's no way to manage that! However, I think the diamond is going to look beautiful in any setting, really. This is just really a case of me liking more than one thing and not knowing how to decide!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
mom2boys|1347067390|3264070 said:
How about this one (just to throw another one into the mix!):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUGdyERz330&feature=youtu.be

I just saw that incredible ring!!! :love: I do love it, but I think it would have to have a matching french cut band, and I think buying the french cut wedding band alone (with a new Tiffany e-ring setting) would already be at the top of my setting budget!

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
I voted for the VanCray, the setting is gorgeous & will look amazing with an AVR. I know you have mentioned that setting before on here.
Either way, I'm sure the finished ring will be beautiful.

Cachette

Brilliant_Rock
I voted Vatche Tiffany. I think the stone needs to be showcased alone and it can be "dressed up" with gorgeous bands!

Cachette :))

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
DS you have changed your ring a couple times in the last year -- the diamond and the mount. But its not scratching the itch, its not capturing you in a way that makes you never want to change! I am thinking you need to try something new in your setting.

You have had something classic for six years, right (going by your user name :rodent: )? I think you need the mount to be AS amazing and special as the stone. Yes, your vatche is a really lovely simple platinum solitaire. But settings like that in my humble opinion are there just to hold and showcase the diamond. Nothing wrong with that! If it makes you all verklempt 8) But in my opinion they don't add much by themselves in terms of style or visual appeal. Sure they are versatile, but IMO at the expense of being unique and special in-and-of-themselves. Like you I have had a couple different rings in the last few years ;)) And I always had simple solitaires because I wanted versatility (and I was cheap, but that doesn't apply to you). When I had simply solitaires my ring was nice. And I had a lovely 1.67ct RB that certainly deserved to be the center of the show! But my ring did not capture my heart. As you know, I was always thinking about how to change it and how to reset it.

I have always thought it was wacky to spend much on a mount. But I have completely changed my tune. I am now totally of the opinion that spending good money for a really special, artisan crafted ring is worth it. I get just as much pleasure out of my setting as i do my diamond. Dare I say, my setting bring me more pleasure :oops: When I wear my ring and use my hands to type of hold things, most of the time I am seeing my ring from an angle that shows the side and basket. To have a setting where *that* view is so special just really makes me happy and increases my enjoyment in my ring a million fold. I also get a tremendous amount of pleasure out of knowing how the ring was crafted and thinking about the person who made it.

My point: Get the VC. If not that exact setting, then another one like it with details and special elements that will make you just melt and swoon when you look at the ring on your hand.

And get a bigger diamond :devil:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh, and have a wb made to compliment the VC, not the matching one! There would be a way to make a great set that does not match exactly, and have your cake and eat it too.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
So... you know I have a questionaire.

1. What is your budget?
2. How old are you guys?
3. What do she do for a living/working toward doing for a living.
4. How does she dress? Does she dress up a lot, or is she a jeans and T-shirts girl? Grundge? Tailored Ann Taylor tastes?
5. Does she prefer white metals or yellow/pinks ones?
6. How is her house decorated? Does she love antique store trolling? Does she love everything Pottery Barn? Is she ultra modern with lots of metal and leather?
7. Is she clumsy? Is she very put together?
8. Does she love handbags and have a stable of them to choose from? Are they mostly practical (neutral colors: brown, black, beige) or are there a lot of colors in there? Blue, purple, red?
9. What metro area are you in or near? Or are you in the country? Tell me where you live and what it's like there (if it's not obvious, like NYC).
10. Do you guys have pets? Want them? What kind?
11. Is she a brand name girl? Does she love things with brand names? If so why? Is it the dependability of brand name quality that appeals to her or is it the bragging rights? Or is she more understated and while she appreciates quality brand names don't do it for her?
12. Okay now, describe her to us in your own words? I've never met her, bring her to life me. What qualities does she have that you love? What is her sense of humor like? Just... tell us about her.
13. Has she expressed an interest in any particular style of ring (halo, Legacy, solitaire, three stone) or shape of stone (round, marquise, pear, princess, emerald, radiant.)?
14. What is her existing jewelry like? A lot of variety, or are there a few select pieces of similar design? What does she wear regularly?

Those are the kinds of things that, throughout the years, I've picked up about you. I know your ballpark age. I've seen your house, I know what you do, I remember your daughters wedding and all the details, I know the general area you live in. I know you like brand names because of the quality inherent in them, and that you research them carefully. I know you have fancy RHRs that you probably do not wear daily, but that you love the option of being able to 'dress up' with jewelry- including your watches. I know you are smart, funny but also conservative, tailored and careful in your design choices and are not a risk taker. I know you like to take care of people and appreciate them being polite and helpful-- and that it manners matter to you (goodness know you probably want to smack me at times!). Gracious gentility is something you appreciate. I would guess that your handbag tastes run to neutrals, but that you have a decent selection of them and that you enjoy nice leather and quality. I think you are tempted by spontaneity and change, but ultimately tend to appreciate stability and comfort and having things carefully thought through.

Those things TO ME, say-- Vatche. I can explain why further if you want. But I've already probably explained enough.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results