shape
carat
color
clarity

Selecting an Oval

wolverines88

Rough_Rock
Hi all - I've been looking at and researching oval diamonds for a few weeks and am looking to pull the trigger on one. I'm down to a few options that I'm considering, each from a different jeweler. I've seen each in person and all look great to me / are eye clean, but I was hoping to get perspective from others (i.e. you all!) who are much more informed about this stuff than I am.

Pics, videos, and certificates of each diamond below:
My gut tells me to go with #1 as it seems to be a better value than the others. Would love to get others thoughts on best option and any considerations I may be missing.

As an FYI I'm not considering any other options as I need to get this wrapped up in the next few days. I didn't consider online retailers as the girlfriend had a preference for buying local if possible.

Thanks all!

Last edited:
Reactions: AV_

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi all - I've been looking at and researching oval diamonds for a few weeks and am looking to pull the trigger on one. I'm down to a few options that I'm considering, each from a different jeweler. I've seen each in person and all look great to me / are eye clean, but I was hoping to get perspective from others (i.e. you all!) who are much more informed about this stuff than I am.

Pics, videos, and certificates of each diamond below:
My gut tells me to go with #1 as it seems to be a better value than the others. Would love to get others thoughts on best option and any considerations I may be missing.

As an FYI I'm not considering any other options as I need to get this wrapped up in the next few days. I didn't consider online retailers as the girlfriend had a preference for buying local if possible.

Thanks all!
None of these will open for me. You can upload photos here directly and maybe post YouTube video links.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can see the high res video link for #2 and think the bowtie is pretty noticible

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am bothered by the prominent bowtie in all three of them, to be honest.

Maybe the third one has the least obvious one? But I'm not an oval expert so I think others might be able to give better advice.

wolverines88

Rough_Rock
Appreciate the feedback - I have been worried about the bow-tie effect. The jewelers I've been working with have told me there's minimal bow-tie with each of these, but it's hard for me to fact check them on this as I have trouble seeing it in person / have an untrained eye here.

Rose-gold-or-bust

Shiny_Rock
Do you need to work with these jewelers? What is your budget? Size color, carat requirement?

I’m betting if you are flexible on jeweler, people here can help you find a nice one

OcnGypZ

Shiny_Rock
Sorry but I wouldn't buy any of them. They just aren't well cut.

wolverines88

Rough_Rock
Do you need to work with these jewelers? What is your budget? Size color, carat requirement?

I’m betting if you are flexible on jeweler, people here can help you find a nice one

I don't need to work with these jewelers, and can even do online if needed. Most sensitive to time here, but with this being such a large purchase don't want to have it be a horrible one. My budget is flexible, these were in the $55-60K range but I can go higher if necessary. Looking for:
  • Carat - ideally ~3-3.2, can be a little flexible here but don't want to go too much higher
  • Color - F or above
  • Clarity - generally been looking in the VS1-VS2 range; want eye-clean and don't necessarily want to pay extra for VVS and above
  • She likes a less narrow oval, something in the 1.35-1.4 range would be ideal but can be flexible as I don't want to narrow myself too much
  • Ideally no or faint fluorescence
For my own understanding so I can better learn to see this myself, what's wrong with these cuts?

Rose-gold-or-bust

Shiny_Rock
They all have a noticeable bow tie. You are looking in the middle of the stone... if there is a big dark section across the middle, move on.

Like this..
683A5E24-E562-4FEC-A34C-FFDCD36EBC2E.jpeg

With that said, go on blue Nile and put in your specs and sort by price. They have a bunch of stones in your range to sift through. Also, consider looking SI1 so long as it is eye clean. Is your GF color sensitive? Most people can’t tell the difference between a G and an F, especially once it is in a setting.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
It appears you both have done in-person shopping and have a specific preference for D or E color and, given you have quite the healthy budget, it doesn’t appear that you need to make compromises and I would keep with your preference for D or E color.

Rose-gold-or-bust

Shiny_Rock
It appears you both have done in-person shopping and have a specific preference for D or E color and, given you have quite the healthy budget, it doesn’t appear that you need to make compromises and I would keep with your preference for D or E color.

From my brief search, there actually isn’t a lot of 3+ F+ VS ovals in the under $60k range and since most ovals are crap, I don’t think it would hurt to compromise a little. Color is so subjecting and it is possible the jewelers they have seen have pushed higher colors to make themselves more money

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Could a custom cut be an option?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

headlight

Ideal_Rock
From my brief search, there actually isn’t a lot of 3+ F+ VS ovals in the under $60k range and since most ovals are crap, I don’t think it would hurt to compromise a little. Color is so subjecting and it is possible the jewelers they have seen have pushed higher colors to make themselves more money
Totally get what you are saying - thanks for pointing that out!

wolverines88

Rough_Rock
The big issue I've been running into is availability, so yes probably makes sense to compromise a bit on color and/or clarity if I want to find a diamond with minimal bow-tie within a reasonable time frame. I'm more-so the one pushing the high grade colors and clarity here (think the GF is flexible as well), the jewelers actually tend to push lower grades as they have more access to inventory on that front.

I was hoping to propose on Oct 5, so running up against a wall here unfortunately (did not anticipate the search being this tough!). Seems like my options are:
  1. Get one of the diamonds I posted, with an understanding that the cuts aren't great and there is going to be visible bow-tie from certain angles. Also including another option below which also has a bow-tie and is ~10% more pricey than Diamond 1 so not sure it'd be worth it
  2. Try to find something online via BN, etc. that doesn't have any visible bow-tie in the image and buy based off that. Hope what arrives in person matches up with how everything looked in videos/images. May still need to compromise on dimensions a bit since most ovals aren't cut great so still not easy to find a good fit within my original specs
  3. Try to go custom made through someone like Jon at AV, though this will clearly involve me pushing back the proposal
    1. Quick question here... was surprised at the table %'s being so low in these AV cuts. Is that something unique to AV to helps eliminate the bow-tie? My gut reaction is it'll be a beautiful stone, but may look at bit different than what her friends have (might be off-putting to her)
GIA Cert: https://www.gia.edu/report-check?reportno=2296589760&s=1569262069125
IMG_3036.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3030 (1).jpeg
    IMG_3030 (1).jpeg
    69 KB · Views: 25

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Smaller tables mean larger crown facets surrounding it, which help disperse white light into its constituent parts and, therefore, give more rainbow fans that your eyes see as coloured 'fire' sparkles. (If I understand it correctly.)

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
HI Wolverines!
Welcome to PS.
Without a doubt, availability on the local level has become more of an issue lately.

Reading your initial post- my advice on cut is to focus on the main things you will see. You can't tell the difference between a 59 and 62% table- much less even a 69% table.
What you WILL definitely notice is the model- the overall shape of the oval. As you suggest, no too narrow.
Remember, that two stones of equal LxW can look totally different based on the outline of the oval.
Fluorescence is definitely a factor in stones of this magnitude- faint is generally never an issue.
Personally, there are Medium Blue F colors that I prefer to other F colors with no blue....case by case....
but if there were two stones- F/SI1 ( eye clean) with a drop dead model and make, vs an E/VS1 less well shaped- I'll take the F anytime.....

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Looks like there is an AV stone just in budget although it’s missing any more information than that. 3.37 D VVS1, over kill on the clarity perhaps but other than that sounds like it has potential. I would definitely get in touch with Jonathan.

Ss52

Shiny_Rock
I don't need to work with these jewelers, and can even do online if needed. Most sensitive to time here, but with this being such a large purchase don't want to have it be a horrible one. My budget is flexible, these were in the $55-60K range but I can go higher if necessary. Looking for:
  • Carat - ideally ~3-3.2, can be a little flexible here but don't want to go too much higher
  • Color - F or above
  • Clarity - generally been looking in the VS1-VS2 range; want eye-clean and don't necessarily want to pay extra for VVS and above
  • She likes a less narrow oval, something in the 1.35-1.4 range would be ideal but can be flexible as I don't want to narrow myself too much
  • Ideally no or faint fluorescence
For my own understanding so I can better learn to see this myself, what's wrong with these cuts?

Wolverines88, I’ve gone through the Blue Nile offerings and thought these diamonds are worth a good look. One is larger, but I doubt your lady would complain. I wear an oval, 3.05 G VS1 with med blue fluorescence which can be seen only in twilight when the stone is in motion. I love the magical fluoro in med or less. There’s no bow tie....I lucked out.

No. 1 has faint fluoro, the others are medium.

1. https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD11592407

2. https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD07985097

3. Bigger one. https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD12856000

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
The first stone's faceting (3.05 F VS2) is quite amazing which is rare in ovals. No gray mush under the table when the stone is face up. If you look at the AV ovals you won't see any gray mush under any of those tables!!!! But Jonathan is your best bet for beautiful performing ovals...don't get in a hurry when you are spending that much $$$$ He might be able to call up this first one I posted on JA and compare it to the other ones he has. It's a fat oval at 8.44mm wide. Lots of finger coverage. Most of the time these stones are available to many vendors.
BTW, fluorescence is not a bad thing in a diamond. In fact it can add character to the stone as in some lighting it can make the stone appear blue in color. Rarely does it cause a diamond to be milky or cloudy.
Lucky fiance!
Best 3c oval:
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/oval-cut/3.05-carat-f-color-vs2-clarity-sku-7232840

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/oval-cut/3.01-carat-d-color-vs2-clarity-sku-320436

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/oval-cut/3.02-carat-e-color-vvs2-clarity-sku-7408752

Last edited:

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

AV_

Ideal_Rock
Quick question here... was surprised at the table %'s being so low in these AV cuts. Is that something unique to AV to helps eliminate the bow-tie? My gut reaction is it'll be a beautiful stone, but may look at bit different than what her friends have (might be off-putting to her)

The measurements need to work together - the small table must work with all else in the design. The AV are only unusual because any bright oval is unusual. One 3.12 D/VS has some of the flavour WWW

There are several other stones with somewhat similar cut & the 'bargain' of the lot, a 2.8 D/VS WWW 37K

Intriguingly, these stones are all but indistinguishable in size - 11 X 7.7 mm

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results