carat
color
clarity

Seeking an asscher... feedback, please?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
BeaudryRingCollection.jpg

I am out of town so may not have access to all my pictures on my iPad. My 1 ct asscher is just a tiny bit bigger than the one you are looking at. I do think my ASET was slightly better, but I also don't know how much difference it makes in a stone this size. Mine has one ring of facets that leak and I can't see it in the stone in person. Mine is set in a halo setting, but a wide bezel could work. These face up really small and I wouldn't use one this size for a right hand ring unless the setting is designed to boost the size.

Good luck!

stonewell

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
BeaudryRingCollection.jpg

I am out of town so may not have access to all my pictures on my iPad. My 1 ct asscher is just a tiny bit bigger than the one you are looking at. I do think my ASET was slightly better, but I also don't know how much difference it makes in a stone this size. Mine has one ring of facets that leak and I can't see it in the stone in person. Mine is set in a halo setting, but a wide bezel could work. These face up really small and I wouldn't use one this size for a right hand ring unless the setting is designed to boost the size.

Good luck!

She's beautiful, diamondseeker! I am certain it was reading through your posts that guided me towards a halo/bezel setting to help boost finger coverage. I wear a 6.75 on the right, but lately, I've been gravitating to 7-7.25 so it's not so snug - summer swells are awful. Hopefully the wide bezel will be sufficient to give enough presence without making it look completely out of proportion.

On a side note, I wouldn't mind playing in your jewelry box if given the opportunity... those other rings are divine. :kiss2:

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Wow... that is really helpful and what a difference! I'm not sure how to or if I can create a black background environment. I have a backlight tray that I acquired with the ASET scope, but it will just recreate the white. I'll have to see if I can find any info on this set-up.
Place a small 1/4 inch 10mm piece of black tape under the hole in the ideal-light.
You shoulld be able to pull the perspex tray out without too much difficulty.

stonewell

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Place a small 1/4 inch 10mm piece of black tape under the hole in the ideal-light.
You shoulld be able to pull the perspex tray out without too much difficulty.

Thank you Garry! It's such a straightforward and elegant solution... I was clearly over thinking it. Yes, I can definitely pull the tray out and put this in place.

stonewell

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Sooooo.... after what felt like forever and a day, I finally received the asscher. First impressions - she's tiny o_O, but quite adorable. I am glad I didn't have JA set the stone since it will definitely need a halo or wide bezel.

I did my best in taking a ASET photo in the set-up that @Garry H (Cut Nut) had recommended. It does show green as @Karl_K had suggested would show up. :appl:

IMG_7353.JPG

It was a real struggle for me to take an ASET video though. Suffice it to say, when I rocked the stone it looked like Christmas — red and green rows lit up in an alternating pattern along with some rows of contrast.

Here are some hand shots and a brief video, both outdoors in the late afternoon and indoors.

IMG_7346.JPG

IMG_7347.JPG

IMG_7348.JPG

So PSers... what do you think?

Last edited:

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
nice patterns, really lively, saw some nice fire flashes in the video.
Hard to judge brightness without seeing it in different lighting conditions and and in person.
From what I see, I still like it.
Look at under as many lighting conditions as possible.
Turn on the lights and go from room to room in the house looking at it then play with turning on and off different lights in each room.
Outside in the sun, in the shade, under a tree.
If your like me 3 hours later........

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Then at night with your tv the only light in the area turn your back to the tv look at the diamond and move it around and see what happens.
If you spend more than 10min looking at it without looking at the clock you will be a member of the super secret asscher club.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sooooo.... after what felt like forever and a day, I finally received the asscher. First impressions - she's tiny o_O, but quite adorable. I am glad I didn't have JA set the stone since it will definitely need a halo or wide bezel.

I did my best in taking a ASET photo in the set-up that @Garry H (Cut Nut) had recommended. It does show green as @Karl_K had suggested would show up. :appl:

IMG_7353.JPG

It was a real struggle for me to take an ASET video though. Suffice it to say, when I rocked the stone it looked like Christmas — red and green rows lit up in an alternating pattern along with some rows of contrast.

Here are some hand shots and a brief video, both outdoors in the late afternoon and indoors.

IMG_7346.JPG

IMG_7347.JPG

IMG_7348.JPG

So PSers... what do you think?

For 0.91ct, she doesn't LOOK "tiny" in your photos. Especially in full outdoor light exposure. If you put a halo or bezel around her, I hope you will keep it minimal, with an open gallery; I don't think she needs much, and I'd hate to see her personality dimmed by too much metal.
She certainly flashes uniquely, which is what we suspected, due to her unusual, and very interesting symmetry.
What do YOU think, now that you've gotten to see her up close & personal? ;)2

stonewell

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
nice patterns, really lively, saw some nice fire flashes in the video.
Hard to judge brightness without seeing it in different lighting conditions and and in person.
From what I see, I still like it.
Look at under as many lighting conditions as possible.
Turn on the lights and go from room to room in the house looking at it then play with turning on and off different lights in each room.
Outside in the sun, in the shade, under a tree.
If your like me 3 hours later........

We are definitely birds of a feather... I lost all track of time doing exactly as you had described until my family reminded me they were starving for dinner. :lol-2:

I love the stone and think she's a keeper, so I'm sure this will be a regular occurrence!

stonewell

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Then at night with your tv the only light in the area turn your back to the tv look at the diamond and move it around and see what happens.
If you spend more than 10min looking at it without looking at the clock you will be a member of the super secret asscher club.

I'll look forward to you teaching me the secret handshake. :appl::dance:

stonewell

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
For 0.91ct, she doesn't LOOK "tiny" in your photos. Especially in full outdoor light exposure. If you put a halo or bezel around her, I hope you will keep it minimal, with an open gallery; I don't think she needs much, and I'd hate to see her personality dimmed by too much metal.
She certainly flashes uniquely, which is what we suspected, due to her unusual, and very interesting symmetry.
What do YOU think, now that you've gotten to see her up close & personal? ;)2

I love it! I agree it needs a clean setting to enhance and not overpower it. I actually got CADs back from DK earlier in the week. I think this will work well to frame the stone and have a nice, open gallery:

IMG_2157.JPG

I decided to go with french cuts on the side for some added interest. :mrgreen2:

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love it! I agree it needs a clean setting to enhance and not overpower it. I actually got CADs back from DK earlier in the week. I think this will work well to frame the stone and have a nice, open gallery:

IMG_2157.JPG

I decided to go with french cuts on the side for some added interest. :mrgreen2:

Very lovely! Any engraving/millgrain along the shank or profile?

stonewell

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Very lovely! Any engraving/millgrain along the shank or profile?

Definitely... DK confirmed he will add milgrain on the outer edges all along the shank, around the stone and the outer edge of the bezel. We also discussed adding roundels to the shoulder. I'm planning to go with a satin finished, unplated white gold. I had seen some asscher rings here with a brushed finished and absolutely fell in love with it!

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Definitely... DK confirmed he will add milgrain on the outer edges all along the shank, around the stone and the outer edge of the bezel. We also discussed adding roundels to the shoulder. I'm planning to go with a satin finished, unplated white gold. I had seen some asscher rings here with a brushed finished and absolutely fell in love with it!

I can't wait to see it!!!! :mrgreen2:

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't wait to see it finished!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm glad to hear that you're happy with it @stonewell!

I'm slightly jealous ;-) but it's not like I can afford any shiny things for a while anyway... lol

Post up some videos under strong spotlights or the 'under a tree in the sun' videos that Karl mentioned! ;-)

stonewell

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm glad to hear that you're happy with it @stonewell!

I'm slightly jealous ;-) but it's not like I can afford any shiny things for a while anyway... lol

Post up some videos under strong spotlights or the 'under a tree in the sun' videos that Karl mentioned! ;-)

I'm grateful for your input in my selection process... I'll admit, this was an unplanned project as several others have been this year. So, I'll be on a self-imposed bling restriction after this one. :naughty: :lol:

I'll get some additional pics and videos done and shared later today!

stonewell

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
:lol-2::lol:

I'm only laughing cuz I can so relate.
Signed, Bling ban secret club member.
:whistle::boohoo::wall:

Sign me up!

I figured I was crossing the line when my hubs looked like this: o_O when I showed him the stone. I estimate I've used up all the birthdays, anniversaries and giftable holidays into early 2019. :lol-2:

stonewell

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Sorry it's taken me a bit to get the pics and videos posted... its been a hectic week! I took a couple more videos and pics, as requested. I tried to get the best I could under a tree, but the air was so still I had to simulate some movement. :nono:
IMG_8625.JPG
IMG_8626.JPG
IMG_8627.JPG

I also dropped off the stone with DK... Amy had a plastic model ready for me, so I took a couple quick shots.

IMG_8680.JPG
IMG_8681.JPG

Wished these pics were better and I had taken more with the stone, but I was rushed to make my next appointment. We're going to make a couple changes - I have asked to make it a triple split (the middle will be narrowed as it meets the bezel), and also remove the struts from the gallery to keep that area open.

IMG_8698.JPG IMG_8700.JPG

Amy says they're casting Monday after the changes, so all there is to do is wait! :whistle:

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry it's taken me a bit to get the pics and videos posted... its been a hectic week! I took a couple more videos and pics, as requested. I tried to get the best I could under a tree, but the air was so still I had to simulate some movement. :nono:
IMG_8625.JPG
IMG_8626.JPG
IMG_8627.JPG

I also dropped off the stone with DK... Amy had a plastic model ready for me, so I took a couple quick shots.

IMG_8680.JPG
IMG_8681.JPG

Wished these pics were better and I had taken more with the stone, but I was rushed to make my next appointment. We're going to make a couple changes - I have asked to make it a triple split (the middle will be narrowed as it meets the bezel), and also remove the struts from the gallery to keep that area open.

IMG_8698.JPG IMG_8700.JPG

Amy says they're casting Monday after the changes, so all there is to do is wait! :whistle:

WOOHOO!!! :mrgreen2:

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for posting the pics and video! :)

I think it has a lot of character, like it would constantly look different in every different situation, which I think is great because no-one wants a stone that looks nice but always looks static and exactly the same! It means you can get to know its performance over time, which is cool :)

The plastic ring setting is also cool, what a great idea!

I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product :)

stonewell

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you for posting the pics and video! :)

I think it has a lot of character, like it would constantly look different in every different situation, which I think is great because no-one wants a stone that looks nice but always looks static and exactly the same! It means you can get to know its performance over time, which is cool :)

The plastic ring setting is also cool, what a great idea!

I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product :)

My pleasure, it gave me a good excuse to play with the stone before I had to part with it. :mrgreen2:

There were several jewelers meeting up at DKs shop when I stopped by, and they all made similar comments about its uniqueness as they passed it from one to another to inspect it. One asked where I got it, and when I said online, he said he couldn't believe it. lol

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There were several jewelers meeting up at DKs shop when I stopped by, and they all made similar comments about its uniqueness as they passed it from one to another to inspect it. One asked where I got it, and when I said online, he said he couldn't believe it. lol
haha Really? That's funny :D

And I thought everyone got ripped off with terrible, bottom-grade stones online ;-)

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
My pleasure, it gave me a good excuse to play with the stone before I had to part with it. :mrgreen2:

Many jewelers and I might even be willing to go as far to say most have not seen a well cut asscher even if they have 30 years experience.

When it comes to asschers some of them just have "IT" it is impossible to define but you know "IT" when you see it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results