carat
color
clarity

Seeking an asscher... feedback, please?

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I figured out what I like
about the stone. The mirroring sort of draws walks you down into the center of the stones as it turns then reverses itself and walks back out towards the edge of the stone.
What I like most about it is that all the east-west facets are not on or off at the same time, unlike what often seems to be the case in some asschers and (seemingly) most ECs - so it won't be a solid stripe of black obstruction/leakage at any point :)

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What I like most about it is that all the east-west facets are not on or off at the same time, unlike what often seems to be the case in some asschers and (seemingly) most ECs - so it won't be a solid stripe of black obstruction/leakage at any point :)
I think the unique symmetry helps create that difference in facet performance. Even the windmills have that same unique symmetry top R corner to Bottom L corner, and Top L corner to bottom R corner...in a diagonal pattern....

stonewell

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@Serg - Thank you so much for the informative insights on the nature of ASETs. I am very grateful for the education.

@OoohShiny @tyty333 @ILikeShiny @Matthews1127 @LLJsmom - I went to sleep feeling quite discouraged, but your feedback has given me a renewed sense of curiosity about this stone. So, I appreciate all your comments and reflections (pun intended =)2).

I'm not ready to rule this stone out quite yet and agree this is one I've got to see in person. I have an ASET scope and may be able to create some of the conditions that @Serg noted, but I have a feeling I'll know right away if she's as magnificent as she is appearing the video.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Serg - Thank you so much for the informative insights on the nature of ASETs. I am very grateful for the education.

@OoohShiny @tyty333 @ILikeShiny @Matthews1127 @LLJsmom - I went to sleep feeling quite discouraged, but your feedback has given me a renewed sense of curiosity about this stone. So, I appreciate all your comments and reflections (pun intended =)2).

I'm not ready to rule this stone out quite yet and agree this is one I've got to see in person. I have an ASET scope and may be able to create some of the conditions that @Serg noted, but I have a feeling I'll know right away if she's as magnificent as she is appearing the video.

I'm glad we could help :)

It's great that you have an ASETscope already - perhaps you will be able to create that 'rocking' or 'moving' ASET that @Serg mentioned, noting the change in colours as you tilt and move the stone, seeing if the 'leakage' areas on the cyclops/straight-on ASET actually turn red or green at different angles :)

Let us know when it arrives!

stonewell

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I think the unique symmetry helps create that difference in facet performance. Even the windmills have that same unique symmetry top R corner to Bottom L corner, and Top L corner to bottom R corner...in a diagonal pattern....

This... I think you've both nailed what I find so entrancing about this stone. It's what appears to be a hypnotic quality as the stone turns around. I'll see if I can capture it on video when she arrives.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This... I think you've both nailed what I find so entrancing about this stone. It's what appears to be a hypnotic quality as the stone turns around. I'll see if I can capture it on video when she arrives.

@stonewell: draw an invisible line, diagonally, across your ASET. You'll see what I mean! ;)2 I'm no expert, but I've examined plenty of Asscher ASET reports, and this is something I have not seen!! This is not poor symmetry...it's UNIQUE symmetry! I am holding out hope that the center light "issue" is resolved, and you decide to purchase this stone! I know she is a one of a kind, and rare find! I'd be completely flabbergasted if someone told me this pattern was "popular", or "common"!

stonewell

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@stonewell: draw an invisible line, diagonally, across your ASET. You'll see what I mean! ;)2 I'm no expert, but I've examined plenty of Asscher ASET reports, and this is something I have not seen!! This is not poor symmetry...it's UNIQUE symmetry! I am holding out hope that the center light "issue" is resolved, and you decide to purchase this stone! I know she is a one of a kind, and rare find! I'd be completely flabbergasted if someone told me this pattern was "popular", or "common"!

I definitely see what you're describing... and I agree. I'm also thinking the huge, blown up ASET I posted isn't doing us any favors. When I look at a much smaller version it doesn't look quite as shocking. So I believe relative size of the stone irl will play a role. It's a 5.5mm stone, after all. I think the red we're seeing in the center giving off strong brilliance, coupled with movement will help give the contrast play we are enjoying on the video.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I definitely see what you're describing... and I agree. I'm also thinking the huge, blown up ASET I posted isn't doing us any favors. When I look at a much smaller version it doesn't look quite as shocking. So I believe relative size of the stone irl will play a role. It's a 5.5mm stone, after all. I think the red we're seeing in the center giving off strong brilliance, coupled with movement will help give the contrast play we are enjoying on the video.
Agreed! The strong red in the center gives me the impression you will have quite a bit of FLASH in the center, which, I hope, will give her life!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium

stonewell

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm glad we could help :)

It's great that you have an ASETscope already - perhaps you will be able to create that 'rocking' or 'moving' ASET that @Serg mentioned, noting the change in colours as you tilt and move the stone, seeing if the 'leakage' areas on the cyclops/straight-on ASET actually turn red or green at different angles :)

Let us know when it arrives!

It's done! Those poor folks at JA dealing with all my order changes... remove the setting, secure the JA advantage pricing, send it out today, please! :lol: They're really wonderful to work with and have always been very accommodating.

I'll definitely let you all know when it arrives.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Awesome :)

And now the slowest few days of your life begins ;-) LOL

stonewell

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
re: @Serg's post about Black or White background for ASET, this looks to be a good example of the difference it can make:

https://cutwise.com/diamond/10_6487-4012?format=asetBlack

Check out 'Aset Black Background' and ASET White Background to see how it changes! :)

Wow... that is really helpful and what a difference! I'm not sure how to or if I can create a black background environment. I have a backlight tray that I acquired with the ASET scope, but it will just recreate the white. I'll have to see if I can find any info on this set-up.

Last edited:

stonewell

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Awesome :)

And now the slowest few days of your life begins ;-) LOL

No kidding!!! I thought having it sent to the FedEx location may allow me to pick it up tomorrow, but they specify weekday only. So it won't reach the station until Monday, regardless. Sigh... the wait is awful. :nono:

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No kidding!!! I thought having it sent to the FedEx location may allow me to pick it up tomorrow, but they specify weekday only. So it won't reach the station until Monday, regardless. Sigh... the wait is awful. :nono:
You'll have company! I'm dying over here & she's not even mine! lol!! Fingers crossed for you!!! Keep us posted, right away!!!

stonewell

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
You'll have company! I'm dying over here & she's not even mine! lol!! Fingers crossed for you!!! Keep us posted, right away!!!
I appreciate the sympathy! lol

Perhaps we distract ourselves in the meantime with some setting discussions. At risk of getting ahead of things, I reached out to DK about beginning a design CAD. I've got some thoughts about what I'd like to do and would love everyone's thoughts...

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I appreciate the sympathy! lol

Perhaps we distract ourselves in the meantime with some setting discussions. At risk of getting ahead of things, I reached out to DK about beginning a design CAD. I've got some thoughts about what I'd like to do and would love everyone's thoughts...
What are your ideas? I'd love to know what you're considering! The design will really determine how she performs in every light environment!

stonewell

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
After reading up on how other PSers have set asschers and taking into account the size of the stone, I am leaning towards a wide, milgrain bezel design. Something that frame the stone, but not compete with the center.

Here are some photos I have in mind for inspiration...

This one shows the cut corners well, but I would want it with a wider bezel and the shank to be far less chunky than is shown
IMG_7307.JPG

I love the depth/dimension of the bezel below, but would want it tilted and not so straight.

IMG_7310.JPG

Love the frame on this one! The shoulder and shank, not so much. If I add any diamonds to the shank, I am thinking of some small french cuts.

IMG_7308.JPG

This is the closest I have in mind - add a wider bezel and brushed finish in unplated, white gold
IMG_7312.JPG

My preferred gallery

IMG_7309.JPG

Thoughts, anyone?

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
With the idea of a bezel, I'm so relieved you want an open gallery! Less is more, when dealing with step cuts! I love the idea of adding diamonds...frenchies are nice. What about baguettes, or carre (sp?)?

stonewell

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I should also add that on the gallery shot, I'd have the shank coming up cathedral style.... very much like the second photo. Actually, I'd probably just go with the shank style of the second photo and add some luscious french cuts. These are some I had done for an antique pear project currently in the works... I love them! :love::love::love:

IMG_7300.JPG

IMG_7301.JPG

stonewell

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
With the idea of a bezel, I'm so relieved you want an open gallery! Less is more, when dealing with step cuts! I love the idea of adding diamonds...frenchies are nice. What about baguettes, or carre (sp?)?

Mmmm.... carré side diamonds. That is definitely a possibility!

IMG_7313.JPG

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
After reading up on how other PSers have set asschers and taking into account the size of the stone, I am leaning towards a wide, milgrain bezel design. Something that frame the stone, but not compete with the center.

Here are some photos I have in mind for inspiration...

This one shows the cut corners well, but I would want it with a wider bezel and the shank to be far less chunky than is shown
IMG_7307.JPG

I love the depth/dimension of the bezel below, but would want it tilted and not so straight.

IMG_7310.JPG

Love the frame on this one! The shoulder and shank, not so much. If I add any diamonds to the shank, I am thinking of some small french cuts.

IMG_7308.JPG

This is the closest I have in mind - add a wider bezel and brushed finish in unplated, white gold
IMG_7312.JPG

My preferred gallery

IMG_7309.JPG

Thoughts, anyone?
I agree that your shank should be more "petite", 1.8mm-2mm? Incorporating millgrain into other parts of the ring would help keep the idea more uniform (perhaps along the top edges of your frenchies/Carre?)

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You could add a hint of bling along the profile, and/or the head with bead set rounds...keeping the gallery wide open...

stonewell

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I agree that your shank should be more "petite", 1.8mm-2mm? Incorporating millgrain into other parts of the ring would help keep the idea more uniform (perhaps along the top edges of your frenchies/Carre?)

That sounds about right... I think anything wider will dwarf the stone.

stonewell

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
You could add a hint of bling along the profile, and/or the head with bead set rounds...keeping the gallery wide open...

True! Some single cuts may be nice in the profile. :mrgreen2:

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That sounds about right... I think anything wider will dwarf the stone.
Thinner shanks give the center more presence. The extra flair of frenchies/carre diamonds will add even more femininity, especially, if surrounded by millgrain detail, the bead set rounds would only be an additional surprise, when seen from the profile view. :mrgreen2:

stonewell

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thinner shanks give the center more presence. The extra flair of frenchies/carre diamonds will add even more femininity, especially, if surrounded by millgrain detail, the bead set rounds would only be an additional surprise, when seen from the profile view. :mrgreen2:

Agreed!

I'm putting together a photo album for DK. If anyone has any other ideas or thoughts, please chime in. =)2

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I like it.
Wait there is leakage how could I like it?
Look again, it is mostly weak green which with tilt is going to flash.
In ASET black they would be green.
There are strong red areas to form the patterns.

The windmills do show a tad bit more leakage than I like so its not perfect but if they flash quickly under tilt.....
The biggest plus is it has really nice patterns.
Overall brightness is the question of the day.
The answer as a trade member and having to be a bit cautious: worth a look in person.

stonewell

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@Karl_K - thank you so much for the insights! Your guidance on how to read the image report is really beneficial. On closer inspection of the ASET, I can now see the faint outlines of green. It seems the consensus is the patterns are what make this stand out over others; your confirmation is added assurance.

The stone is on its way, so we will all get to see it soon... although, not soon enough for me. Lol

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hurry up and arrive already! lol

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results