stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stracci you are so talented. Love this. Beautiful. :love:
Thanks Missy! My designs are all over the place! I just experiment.........:P2

LJsapphire

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Have you ever wore anything with a point? I wonder, since it overhangs the band if it would irritate the finger? I do love the band and design how it’s open with the diamonds. Very pretty stone!

I have a couple of wishbone rings that I used to wear when I was in my teens, but I haven't worn them recently.

LJsapphire

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Here are some of my amethyst rings that I made. All sterling silver.
They are designs that I came up with myself. Just to show you some ideas!
IMG_20180325_085412.jpg IMG_20180325_085026.jpg

They are lovely, so original :)
I have a necklace that is like a cabochon type amethyst, I don't wear it very often. I have a fingerprint necklace with my son's fingerprint & I wear that all the time except when I'm going out.
I've seen various things that I like - emerald cuts, more flower halos, five stone rings and three stone/trilogy type rings. I'm liking the idea of a trilogy for the "past, present and future" symbolism but also because there are 3 of us in my family. (won't be having any more children).
I've seen some with sapphire and amethyst - and both my FI and DS are September birthdays. Shame I'm August and I'm actually supposed to be Peridot.

LJsapphire

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Some I've favourited

il_570xN.841191372_dymc.jpg

9ct white gold, with amethyst, light sapphire and tanzanite - not sure if genuine/natural at < £300
Seller is Gems of London. Same ring offered in silver for just under £80 less.

Same seller -
il_570xN.831847933_tsqt.jpg

and this one from a different seller but it's 9ct (yellow) gold and I don't wear yellow gold

il_570xN.1212262277_fxa4.jpg

says - "Set with a 1.50ct centre stone and 0.80ct each side of the centre Amethyst."
Then it says : "A total of 3.10ct of Smaller Diamonds sit in between the lovely Amethyst." which I think must be a typo. :confused:

Funnyface850

Rough_Rock
Premium
Some I've favourited

9ct white gold, with amethyst, light sapphire and tanzanite - not sure if genuine/natural at < £300

Same seller -

and this one from a different seller but it's 9ct (yellow) gold and I don't wear yellow gold

says - "Set with a 1.50ct centre stone and 0.80ct each side of the centre Amethyst."
Then it says : "A total of 3.10ct of Smaller Diamonds sit in between the lovely Amethyst." which I think must be a typo. :confused:
I really like the first ring pictured and you get tanzanite?! I like the stones half way around the band.

LJsapphire

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I do like it but I'm concerned about whether it's all genuine.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful colour!!!
Do you have more pics to check if there is no window in the stone?

LJsapphire

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
https://www.thelordofgemrings.com/c...edding-ring-14k-white-gold?variant=6816484803

I'm a little concerned as I did a reverse google image search and found the same pic on 3 different sites. Also it's supposed to be an american company, and it says free shipping (which is good) to the UK from China. But this was the best price of the 3 sites advertising this ring.

Also to add- DF thinks I shouldn't spend more than £300 on a semi precious stone. He's seen how much we can buy loose amethysts for. This will come in at approx £300 once we factor in VAT when it gets here.
Maybe we should go custom/bespoke.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In addition to the fact that LOGR uses stock photos, so you can't know before purchasing what amethyst you'll end up with, I am concerned about the weight of that ring. Even though it doesn't look lightweight in the pic, the gram weight listed is 2.8 grams for a size 6 ring in 14K white gold. By way of comparison, a comparable Stuller mounting is 3.9 grams -- and that's the weight of the empty, size 6 14K mounting, before any stones are set into it.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lord of the Gem rings are Chinese made and are on the flimsy side ie not much gold weight. And I’m not 100% convinced that the amythest they use are natural from the ground.
For my money, I’d go with Ivy & Rose (or Diamondzone as they use on eBay) because their settings are really nice and much better quality. They can source you an genuine amethyst to fit in the ring of your choice and set it for you too. They are in the US.
I’m always a bit suspicious (and I’ve been buying on ebay over 12 years) when sellers use “stock” photos, I want to buy exactly what I see thanks all the same!

Deathspi

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Some I've favourited

Same seller -

I’ve bought from the seller of the first two rings, although it was years ago. I bought a silver and garnet ring in the same design as ring #2, and really like it. A bit light on the silver, but the garnets are genuine. I think the tanzanite will be real, but smaller than what you’re expecting. (That was the case with me anyway!) :)

LJsapphire

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks all, I’ll have another look at those you suggested @Bron357 - I do want to be able to see what I’m buying and not just a stock photo. I looked at LoGR as they are in the recommended vendor list for CS. *shrug*

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here are some of my amethyst rings that I made. All sterling silver.
They are designs that I came up with myself. Just to show you some ideas!
IMG_20180325_085412.jpg IMG_20180325_085026.jpg
Stracci, those are wonderful! I hope you wear a few together as you are in the picture!! Loving that dark, bullet cabochon ring!

LJsapphire

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This one is going 2nd hand on ebay at the moment - buy it now for £300. It doesn't like as vibrant as in the picture (stock photo), the diamonds are H, and SI clarity 0.35 carats. The amethyst is 6x4, 0.55 carats from Brazil.

https://www.diamond-boutique.co.uk/...nd-baguette-engagement-ring-0-35ct-2-5mm-html

its only a K (US 5.5) though, so it might fit my pinky. I don't think I could get it sized to a O 1/2 -P. (7.5/8)
Have added it to my watch list

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks all, I’ll have another look at those you suggested @Bron357 - I do want to be able to see what I’m buying and not just a stock photo. I looked at LoGR as they are in the recommended vendor list for CS. *shrug*
It may be kinda confusing, but LOGR appears in the eBay vendors category for settings on the "for reference" list, not in the initial categories for colored gem cutters/dealers.

I don't think LOGR mountings are the value they once were, and some are too lightweight, even for occasional wear imo. But that's also true of some of Ivy & Rose/Diamondzone's offerings as well. And there are PSers who have purchased settings from LOGR (including at least 1 "from scratch" custom order) in the recent past who were pleased with their experiences. So there's been no groundswell for knocking them off the "for your reference" list.

Re the ring on your eBay watch list: does the seller have an unconditional return policy, and is the seller in the UK, thereby making a return easier for you? I'm thinking you might decide a 6 mm x 4 mm stone is too small, even if you like the amethyst's color in real life. Blue Nile has posted this PDF'd chart so you can print out, and cut out, various sizes (in millimeters) and shapes of stones. Although it's geared towards diamonds, so the carat weights BN shows on the chart mean little to nothing for colored gems, I think this is quite handy : - )
https://bnsec.bluenile.com/bnsecure/assets/chrome/pdf/diamond_carat_size_0810.pdf

LJsapphire

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Re the ring on your eBay watch list: does the seller have an unconditional return policy, and is the seller in the UK, thereby making a return easier for you? I'm thinking you might decide a 6 mm x 4 mm stone is too small, even if you like the amethyst's color in real life. Blue Nile has posted this PDF'd chart so you can print out, and cut out, various sizes (in millimeters) and shapes of stones. Although it's geared towards diamonds, so the carat weights BN shows on the chart mean little to nothing for colored gems, I think this is quite handy : - )
https://bnsec.bluenile.com/bnsecure/assets/chrome/pdf/diamond_carat_size_0810.pdf
Thanks for the reply. There probably isn’t a return policy. I believe he’s selling it as he bought it as an engagement ring. My df thinks I can just sell it myself if not suitable.

Going shopping with my son today so can look at some real life examples and get an idea of size.

LJsapphire

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I really like it, it's a lot higher than what I'm used to though. I'd have to learn to be careful.

sapphiremomma

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I really like it, it's a lot higher than what I'm used to though. I'd have to learn to be careful.

It’s doesn’t seem super high to me in that the center stone doesn’t sit up a whole lot higher than the rest of the ring due to how it’s set. Maybe someone else can chime in on that. It’s neat though - I haven’t seen another’s one like it. I’m happy to send you videos if you’d like - just let me know!

LJsapphire

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It’s doesn’t seem super high to me in that the center stone doesn’t sit up a whole lot higher than the rest of the ring due to how it’s set. Maybe someone else can chime in on that. It’s neat though - I haven’t seen another’s one like it. I’m happy to send you videos if you’d like - just let me know!

Thanks, I really like it and it is spectacular but I think it might overshadow my engagement ring :???:

LJsapphire

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
i have emailed Jeff Davies via his site about an emerald cut 3 stone - 1 to see if he can source a stone (seen a setting on ebay) and asked him to quote for setting also (after I saw @mochiko42 's blue zircon ) :praise:
Fingers crossed.

LJsapphire

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Can't do a setting, cutting more amethysts next month. He suggested that good diamonds would use up most of my $700 budget. (may have to go over, which DF won't agree with).

Have saved a setting from diamondmounts on ebay. $485 / £344 ish - so also looking for a loose stone.

Have seen an antique ring on instagram 6.75 carat siberian amethyst, art deco, platinum for under £1000. It's massive though.
Art_Deco_6.75_Carat_Siberian_Amethyst_Solitaire_Ring_1_1000x.jpg

LJsapphire

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Ivy & Rose have quoted over $1500 for one similar to LoGR :eek2:

Pearlman's have an 8mm x 6mm amethyst and have sent me a photo.
There is a UK seller on ebay with one but they use stock photos so I have asked for a photo of the actual item.
I have also contacted diamondzone about setting a stone into their mounting.

Last edited:

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Diamond Zone and Ivy & Rose are the same.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results