shape
carat
color
clarity

Searching for a yellow sapphire

Coralkey

Rough_Rock
Hello! So, my BF and I were having a chat, and it turned into that chat, the, do you want to get married? chat, much to my surprise! I've been lurking/occasionally asking questions on this site for a while, now I'm finally asking for help, for real! This is not a drill!

Previously I had been turned on to the Pads and peach sapphires, but you know. Pads are $$$, and I'm a fair skinned redhead; I think peach would be lost on my hand. I've always loved sapphires, and I absolutely love the look of yellow sapphires in yellow gold. I believe it's a combination I will love for many years to come. I've seen some very beautiful, fiery yellow sapphires on the interwebs, but I'm not sure of what I'm looking at really. I emailed Pearlman's and Gemfix to inquire about additional inventory, and hopefully I can gather some real pictures. The budget is $4,000 including the setting, but if I were to find something really great, we could work it out. I'm looking for a light to medium stone, approx 8x8mm, radiant or cushion, oval if its a really awesome stone. I'm looking for great clarity. I appreciate inclusions in my semi precious stones, but anything floating around in my e-ring would drive me nuts. I'd prefer a natural stone, but heat treatment is fine, unless there are things about heat treatment I should know about haha :lol: What should I be asking vendors? What lab cert is acceptable? Am I leaving anything out? I've included some pictures of things I've seen that I liked; is there anything about them that's less than stellar? Are these cuts okay? Have you seen anything around that's better than what I've posted? What can i expect in the actual stone that ins't conveyed in the picture, like color shifts? I welcome any and all input, the more information the better! Thanks in advance! :bigsmile:

img_8695.png
I saw this on gemfix about a year ago, and color wise, its the bees knees
screenshot_2016-09-20-20-43-59.png
screenshot_2016-09-20-20-44-36.png
The color and faceting of this stone look awesome to me
screenshot_2016-09-20-20-44-59.png

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations on your engagement!!

In terms of report, I think AGL or GIA would be preferable.

I would also add Jeff Davies and Gary Braun (Finewater) to your list of vendors, they tend to have nice yellow sapphires.

Not overly enthused about the Gemfix one, the cut doesn't look that attractive (though it may be the photo angle?).

I would also pay attention on the carat weight vs the dimensions (mm measurements) to ensure you're not paying needlessly for extra weight that is not going to be reflected in the face-up size of the stone.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you tried on a yellow sapphire? The way you describe your skin makes me wonder if it's flattering. But if yellow is your color than ignore that.

Next thing I would say is yellow sapphire's are not always the most flattering in yellow gold. Do you have an example of the settings you like?0

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations. This is my cushion shape pale yellow sapphire set with 2 Ceylon blue pears. It's in 18kt yellow gold. It's a paler colour yellow. I'm fair skinned / freckly and I think it suits my hand. image_1026.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just make sure GIA, AGL, etc says it hasn't been diffused. I like the 3.10ct radiant. I think setting it in yellow gold will amp up the colour but it might also need some diamonds or some other colour to make sure it doesn't blend in too much with your skin. That little bit of added contrast will give your yellow sapphire that added punch of colour.

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
When you say light-to-medium, do you mean saturation, or tone? If its going to lean toward green or orange, which direction do you prefer?

For example, these all have high saturation:

A little small, perhaps, but how about this for color:
http://www.earthstreasury.com/product/1-10-carat-lemon-yellow-umba-sapphire/

This one from Gary looks nice, but.. Is it just me or does it face up kinda small?
http://www.finewatergems.com/store/p15/2.06_ct_Yellow_Sapphire.html

Yum. They have some others that might have nice color, and theres also a sapphire sale this month:
http://www.africagems.com/oval-sapphire--yellow-g2k2801.html

But these have low saturation:
If pale is of interest, maybe look at Montanas too:
http://gemfix.com/gems/sapphire-montana-830

Or for a big honker:
http://www.litnon.com/index.php?page=viewgem&id=9079

Coralkey

Rough_Rock
Chrono|1474428085|4079093 said:
I think setting it in yellow gold will amp up the colour but it might also need some diamonds or some other colour to make sure it doesn't blend in too much with your skin. That little bit of added contrast will give your yellow sapphire that added punch of colour.

I was thinking the same thing! Either a halo or something like this:

pave_2.jpg

Except I don't think I'll go with a pave band, I think it's a little flashy for everyday wear.

Niel, I didn't really think that before, mostly because all the sapphires I've seen in person have been really saturated. I think I'm going to go on a jewelry shop tour Saturday to do some recon. I really do prefer warmer colors; salmon pink, peach, blush, yellow, champagne,etc., but finding the right one with my skin tone may prove to be a challenge. If I had to choose between stone color and metal color though, it's yellow gold all the way.

Bron357 That ring is stunning! I had originally thought of doing a pear violet/blue sapphire for the center stone, but theres that whole warm color issue lol

Okay so, what I learned: GIA or AGL cert, setting that will add contrast, find stones within color range and check them against my skin tone. I have some homework to do! I really appreciate everyones help!

Coralkey

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the links Chroman!

The first one, while the color is very pretty, isn't really so much what I'm looking for, that silkiness is throwing me off. From the africa gems link you posted, there was this:
http://www.africagems.com/yellow-sapphire-radiant-gemstone-88772198.html

Which at least on the screen, is exactly what I'm after. This stone is out of my price range, but the cut/shape and color are so beautiful. This one from pearlman's is similar http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/gemstones/?sku=7721and pretty much what I'm after, but again, its out of range.

The links from Gemfix and Litnon I had actually seen before, and I love the shapes of then, I just worry that they will look too pale.

When I think of color and saturation I think of the color at 100% saturation, and anything else is adding white (becoming paler/less saturated) or adding black (becoming darker in tone but not necessarily more vivid) or at least, thats how I learned it in color theory in college haha. So, to answer your question, I mean light to medium saturation.

Chrono, out of curiosity, what about the 3.10 stone appeals to you more than the others? Is there something objectively better about it or is it just personal preference?

Mochiko42 Thank you! I actually have Jeff Davies bookmarked, I've been lurking his eBay for a while :mrgreen: When ever I'm on the finewater site though, I don't understand what's going on with the photos. They look computer generated. How do the photos represent the actual stones? I've only read good things about finewater, but whats going on there? lol.

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Does Pearlmans have a PS discount? I vaguely remember someone saying that recently

Coralkey

Rough_Rock
That would be super awesome if they do! It wouldn't be on their website, would it? :)) If anyone knows, please share, if not I'm waiting for an email response from them, I can ask.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Coralkey|1474438045|4079119 said:
That would be super awesome if they do! It wouldn't be on their website, would it? :)) If anyone knows, please share, if not I'm waiting for an email response from them, I can ask.

As them but last I checked (in spring) they don't offer anything on stonea bit they'd do 20% off settings if you don't plan to finance

Coralkey

Rough_Rock

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Coralkey|1474432828|4079110 said:
Chrono, out of curiosity, what about the 3.10 stone appeals to you more than the others? Is there something objectively better about it or is it just personal preference?
Colour: very bright, very pure yellow
Cut: seems to distribute the colour and brilliancy evenly. Very few dead spots and if there is, those will be very small evenly distributed pockets, not a huge swath or concentrated area.
Treatment: untreated is a nice bonus but I'm not a stickler for it.

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
On the first one.. Is that a window, or a reflection off the crown? If it is a window that seems like a deal breaker right there.

Coralkey

Rough_Rock
I received emails from pearlmans and gemfix. Both gave me things to look at, but I asked if any lighter yellow stones were available. Once I have a few more options I will share them here to see what you all think :)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
chroman|1474520191|4079483 said:
On the first one.. Is that a window, or a reflection off the crown? If it is a window that seems like a deal breaker right there.
I can see the culet (tip), so my guess is that the stone is slightly tilted, hence the tilt window and not a true window.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Message him soon it'll be sold soon I think

screenshot_20160922-155501.png

screenshot_20160922-155457.png

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Nice!!!

Coralkey

Rough_Rock
Thats a beautiful stone Niel! What a great IG account, eye candy haha. I spoke to someone at gemfix, and after tossing around some pantones codes, It's been deemed I'm looking for a sapphire the color of a post-it note haha. I'm still looking, savagely scouring the internet. If anyone happens upon anything like that, please drop it here :angel:

lilysweet

Shiny_Rock
Have you taken a look at the finewater gems inventory? There seemed to be a few lighter yellow options potentially in your range. Good luck!

Coralkey

Rough_Rock
I have actually been watching finewater for a while. I dont see anything on that site currently that I'm in love with, but I have it bookmarked, that and a handful of other sites and etsy sellers.

Ive seen really interesting colored sapphires sold by eidelprecious and allsapphires on etsy. I know theyre both users on PS. Does anyone have any experience buying from them, or with their inventory? Ive never really seen anyone mention either seller on PS and I was just wondering if it was worth it to reach out to either seller.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hate to be the guy everyone knows I'm going to be in this thread but I'd you like buttery postit note yellow would you be open to a chrysoberyl
img_20150620_100606.jpg

S

SparkliesLuver

I realize this is in left field, but ... why not. :D

I came across this piece of Montana sapphire rough (http://blazengems.com/retail/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=83&products_id=1511) on Blaze's site and thought of you. It has really nice dimensions and clarity, and the shape seems to be pretty well-suited for what you're wanting. If you're at all interested, I'd ask Blaze for a lot more pictures and get in touch with a lapidary (like Ryan Quantz or Jerry Newman) to get their thoughts. (P.S. He also has this: http://blazengems.com/retail/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=83_36&products_id=1503.. The shape is great but the dimensions aren't ideal for the end size you're wanting.)

I'll keep an eye out for already faceted sapphires too. ;-)

sam_8540.jpg

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
LOL Niel, I was wondering when chrysoberyl would get a shout-out :)

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
chroman|1474644785|4079950 said:
LOL Niel, I was wondering when chrysoberyl would get a shout-out :)

Lol yes sadly I'm a predictable character but they are usually not treated, cheaper than sapphire's, and come in that color

Coralkey

Rough_Rock
Oh my goodness, having a stone cut for me would be super rad but that's so over my head! I'd be afraid of buying something with inclusions and having to live with it in the finished stone. It looks like chrysoberyl has a similar hardness to morganite. Ive worn a morganite everyday for about 3 years and I can see chips in it with a loupe. I'm very hard on my hands and I worry about destroying the stone, but the color of that ring you posted it PERFECT!

Coralkey

Rough_Rock
Does anyone have experience wearing a chrysoberyl daily?

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Coralkey|1474686308|4080183 said:
Does anyone have experience wearing a chrysoberyl daily?

I wear my chrysoberyl ring often, not daily but maybe once a week. It's one of the few CS rings that I wear without fear!

Siameseroo owns the chrysoberyl and diamond engagement ring that Neil posted. Hopefully she'll see this and also post her thoughts.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Coralkey|1474685313|4080178 said:
Oh my goodness, having a stone cut for me would be super rad but that's so over my head! I'd be afraid of buying something with inclusions and having to live with it in the finished stone. It looks like chrysoberyl has a similar hardness to morganite. Ive worn a morganite everyday for about 3 years and I can see chips in it with a loupe. I'm very hard on my hands and I worry about destroying the stone, but the color of that ring you posted it PERFECT!
Chrysoberyl does not have a similar hardness to morganite. I think you may be thinking of Beryl. Not the same. Chrysoberyl has a harness of 8.5 compared to sapphire which is 9. It's a very acceptable stone for everyday wear.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results