carat
color
clarity

Searching for a yellow sapphire

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Coralkey|1475639631|4083760 said:
That color is perfect! What is that shape considered?
Who even knows. lol!
That stone is already sold. But I saw the color and thought it was very much like what you were after so I asked him if he had any other rough. He said he had a good amount left
Here is his website
http://topnotchfaceting.com/home.html
You can reach him via email there's a link on the home page of his website.

I'd tell him you saw his stone on Instagram (that one there) and you wanted to know if he had any other chrysoberyl (that's what it is) in that kind of yellow not green color. And tell him you were hoping for a more traditional cushion or square/rectangular shape. After looking at his website you'll see he can do some other off the wall shapes. I think it would be cool if he could do one of his octagonal ones too but that's just me lol.

Coralkey

Rough_Rock
Email sent! I've kind of lost some steam. The deeper I get into this, the more I find myself questioning if what I'm looking for is really what I want, especially with respect to the setting. So, this was a nice little nugget of encouragement, thank you :) Hopefully I get some good news :D

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Coralkey|1475647745|4083774 said:
Email sent! I've kind of lost some steam. The deeper I get into this, the more I find myself questioning if what I'm looking for is really what I want, especially with respect to the setting. So, this was a nice little nugget of encouragement, thank you :) Hopefully I get some good news :D
Don't get discouraged!
The stone is the hard part, once you have that, you can out it in basically any style setting. So just take it one step at a time. What about the setting has you second guessing?

Hopefully he has what you're looking for

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel|1475666932|4083807 said:
Coralkey|1475647745|4083774 said:
Don't get discouraged!
The stone is the hard part, once you have that, you can out it in basically any style setting. So just take it one step at a time. What about the setting has you second guessing?

Hopefully he has what you're looking for
Niel is right again. The stone is the hardest part. The setting will seem easier because you can change it any way you want it.

Coralkey

Rough_Rock
Niel, have you ever purchased from this cutter? Or do you know anyone who has? They emailed me back and want tocall me about my color preferences, and they seem super nice and all, but I'm leary of going with a cutter that I dont have any reviews from. Also, if im buyi g a stone this way, should I request it be sent to a lab for testing or grading? What questions should I ask when I speak to them?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Coralkey|1475700869|4083948 said:
Niel, have you ever purchased from this cutter? Or do you know anyone who has? They emailed me back and want tocall me about my color preferences, and they seem super nice and all, but I'm leary of going with a cutter that I dont have any reviews from. Also, if im buyi g a stone this way, should I request it be sent to a lab for testing or grading? What questions should I ask when I speak to them?

i personally have not but he is a respected vendor here and i do not think you would have anything to worry about. from his website you can see he sells to jewelry makers, and he sells stones to Grace from Jewels by grace who is a very respected vendor here. colored stone vendors are often small cutters, so the fact he seems like a one man operation honestly dont let that bother you.

Chrysoberyl is never really treated so i see no reason to get it graded.
when i speak with him i would stress the color you want, i liked how specific you were with it being "posted note " colored, i would discuss your budget and the shape you expect.

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
He's also been profiled in one of our local large newspapers a while back, if that counts for anything :)

Coralkey

Rough_Rock
Do i need to have it lab tested for it to be appraised and insured?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Coralkey|1475757662|4084098 said:
Do i need to have it lab tested for it to be appraised and insured?
No I don't think it's needed.

Coralkey

Rough_Rock
I emailed Jerry Newman, Ryan Quantz and Jean-Noel of top notch faceting about having a stone cut. Hopefully I'll have good news next time I post :D

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Coralkey|1475818297|4084370 said:
I emailed Jerry Newman, Ryan Quantz and Jean-Noel of top notch faceting about having a stone cut. Hopefully I'll have good news next time I post :D

Fingers crossed. Email Jeff White too

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Any news?

Coralkey

Rough_Rock
So, I did some soul searching. I thought long and hard about what I really wanted. Like, not the bullet points, like what I thought would be beautiful forever. That might sound silly, but I was kind of getting in my own way about this, so I took some times to figure out. I contacted a few stone cutters, no one really had what I was looking for, which is fine. I thought more about it, and this is what I decided.

As much as I like yellow gold, a yellow sapphire set in it won't look how I want it. I decided I should go with unplated white gold, so that its warm white, and won't take away from the light yellow stone I want.

Keeping that in mind, I can go for a more vivid sapphire, which seems to be easier to find than that super light yellow I was looking for.

I would really like a radiant cut. I found this, http://gemfix.com/gems/sapphire-yellow-568-oval-portuguese-style-2-76cts.. This color is awesome, I just wish I could find a radiant in this colour.

Coralkey

Rough_Rock
It doesn't have to be exactly that size, it would just be nice if it were lol. That stone's color is nice but it looks kind of included, am I wrong?

Coralkey

Rough_Rock
Does anyone have any opinions about this one? screenshot_2016-11-01-22-25-09.png

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It looks pretty clean, yet not a super intense/satureted yellow. Is that a color you're loving? If so, maybe shoot them a note and ask for more pics?

Coralkey

Rough_Rock
In the beginning of this thread, someone said I should be sure this colour looks good on my hand, but its been so hard it's been finding yellow sapphires in person. Everyone has blue, no yellow lol. I've accumulated a wealth of citrine pictures on my cell phone though haha. I'm doing some recon tomorrow, I will not be defeated!

new-beginning

Shiny_Rock
sorry if this has already been posted - Sunshine Gems has a 2.45 yellow sapphire, GIA, $1245 you might want to look at - rectangular modified brilliant cut.

Coralkey

Rough_Rock
No I haven't seen it, can you post a link? Thank you:)

Coralkey

Rough_Rock
Hello again! I have been looking on and off for my dream sapphire, I still haven't come up with anything yet. If anyone happens upon a light yellow cushion or square radiant sapphire, feel free to shoot it my way:)

S

SparkliesLuver

Hello! May I ask why you didn't like the one above your post? It might help us in the search. Thanks! :)

new-beginning

Shiny_Rock
Here is an Asscher cut (on Fine Faceted GEms facebook forum) 2.36 cts - Beautiful Untreated Yellow Sapphire!
$300.00 to open & $1.00 increments
Auction ends Saturday, December 17th, at 10 pm Eastern time.

This stone's regular price is $699.00. This will be only on auction for two periods. If not bid on, it will go back to regular stock. You cannot buy this stone for $300.00. At least I can't. Now is your chance! My loss, your gain!

Video on first comment is the best representation of stone.

At the risk of being cliché, this stone really reminds me of a yellow diamond. Its superb cutting brings out brilliance & scintillation that is vey diamond like. Cut in a very pleasing octagon shape, this Sapphire will make a fine ring stone. Bright, bright, bright!

Color - Very light yellow. GIA Gemset Y 2/3 - Very slightly grayish
Clarity - Eye clean
Cut - Octagon step
Dimensions - 6.20 mm x 5.80 mm x 5.50 mm
Weight - 2.36 cts
Treatment - None
Origin - Sri Lanka
8.00 shipping via USPS priority mail in USA with tracking number.
$10.00 shipping to Canada, First Class International
$13.00 the rest of the world, First Class International
7 Day return policy once you receive the stone. Your money back if not satisfied

Coralkey

Rough_Rock
I looked for more pictures of it on sunshine gem Facebook page, and there was a pic with some dark whiskey colored zoning. I'm looking for either a cushion, a square radiant, or something similar. I want it to be symmetrical. I know thats kind if silly, I think other cuts are nice, just not for this particular piece. I also am looking for it to be around 8x8mm(ish) in size.

new-beginning

Shiny_Rock
That Asscher I posted is in the US, not quite as large a dimension as you want but I have purchased from Jim and he is easy to deal with - Sunshine Gems is in the Orient and I have purchased from Daniel's Dad, and he was nice to do business with also.

dzop

Shiny_Rock
Coralkey, have you thought about reaching out to the Gem Mountain / Rock Creek folks to see if they have what you're looking for? A non-BE yellow is one of the few things that Montana does well, though you'll have to be patient to find one without any orange zoning. I strongly suspect the Gem Mountain folks keep the best stones for their own retail store, and they also run so much material that they might just stumble into a stone that works for you (and that they might have otherwise blue-burned into a greenish blue that would fetch a higher price).

That being said, it's unlikely you'll be able to get an 8x8 radiant from rock creek; the rough just isn't that big. But you do see some 7x7 princess / radiants or 7mm rounds from there, and of course you can get them precision cut.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results