shape
carat
color
clarity

Searching for a yellow sapphire

Coralkey

Rough_Rock
I was under the impression morganite was 8.5 on the mohs scale, good to know! Part of the reason sapphire appeals to me is that the ones I've seen in person were very fiery, almost diamondlike. Does chrysoberyl have qualities like that?

I found this yesterday, its kind of big, but what do you all this of this stone? I see it has that bowtie darkness and some zoning, but do you think its that bad?

Coralkey

Rough_Rock
I was under the impression morganite was 8.5 on the mohs scale, good to know! Part of the reason sapphire appeals to me is that the ones I've seen in person were very fiery, almost diamondlike. Does chrysoberyl have qualities like that?

I found this yesterday, its kind of big, but what do you all this of this stone? I see it has that bowtie darkness and some zoning, but do you think its that bad?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The link didn't come across.

I've never felt sapphire's looked like diamonds. However, chrysoberyl has a refractive index only slightly lower than saphire so they are brilliant.

If you want sapphire definitely get a sapphire. But I only bring up chrysoberyl as it comes in the color you want untreated for fair prices. That stone I posted was 6.5 mm and like $500 . I've seen 6 ct chrysoberyl sell for under 2k.

If it were me, I'd ask pearlmans if they could get photos of these three stones and have them ask the vendor which is the truest yellow, meaning which one has the least amount of green or brown) and if any are close to the post it color you're after. They're very helpful even id it ends up that type of stone isn't for you
http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/gemstones/?sku=2099
http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/gemstones/?sku=1783
http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/gemstones/?sku=1779

Coralkey

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much Niel for all your help! I'm going to email pearlmas about those stones :D

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Coralkey|1474732053|4080271 said:
Thank you so much Niel for all your help! I'm going to email pearlmas about those stones :D
Oh great if they don't work out you're no worse for wear and if you like them they're very large lol.

And you thought more about the setting you're after. Halo or sans halo?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That bottom one is the same stone from pearlmans
Ha! Good eye!

And with a $200 price bump to boot...

Coralkey

Rough_Rock
Oh my goodness, good catch! Much appreciated if I go with that stone!

In reference to a setting, I guess it depends on the size of the stone. If I find a stone that i really love and its smaller than I hoped for, I'll do a halo. If its 8x8mm or around there, I wont. I found a setting that I posted earlier in this thread. Its basket is pave set with diamonds facing outward, rather than facing up. The prongs and band are also pave in the pic I posted but I think that might be a bit much. I want a ring that'll age well, and I feel like something more on the simple side is best for me.

Coralkey

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much! They are too saturated for what I'm looking for, but a very pretty pair. Honestly, I feel like I'm looking for something that doesnt exist. I found a stone whose color I really loved on one site, and their customer service just said they have nothing else in a color close to it, and that was it. I'm just going to have to be persistent. The stone in question was on the smaller side, not really what I wanted.

I've been around to a few jewelry stores, and if they have yellow sapphires, they're very saturated and always set in white gold or platinum. I havent found a stone in person whose color I like, to then see how it looks with yellow gold. The more I think about it, the more I wonder if I should just go with something more traditional, like a blue sapphire. I at least know they look good in yellow gold :/

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
have ypu made any inquries if anyone has some rough in stock thats a good color fit, amd might be able to cut something to your shape prefs?

Coralkey

Rough_Rock
No, I haven't. Part of me feels like it might be over my head, part of me thinks that would be super awesome to be part of the process from start to finish. Also, I don't know how comfortable my BF would be with the idea of selecting a rough stone and having it cut. What do I do if the stone cracks during cutting? Should I have the stone sent to a lab after cutting? I don't know where I'd start looking to find rough stone. Is there a list of rough vendors on PS? What should I know about this process?

This is off topic, but someone posted a chrysoberyl ring earlier in the thread that belonged to another PS user. Can anyone tell what metal it's set in?

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Usually, the folks doing the cutting have rough on hand and can help guide you to how the stones would finish (size, shape, and color wise). There is often an up-front payment based on the estimated finish size, and that may or may not be refundable. Something like 10% -- not 50%. The remainder would be due on completion, based on the actual finished weight. I suspect if the stone cracked seriously, the vendor would work out some reasonable arrangement.. I'm sure it wouldnt be the first.

Different people have different policies, but some folks have return policies even on custom cutting.

As for the crysoberyl ring that Niel posted, it looks like WG with YG prongs. Beyond that.. Got me :)

ETA: another thing about blue sapphires - they'll probably be much more expensive, per ct, than yellow, since thats what the market wants to buy.

Coralkey

Rough_Rock
I was just looking through some of my bookmarks, and I completely forgot about one site I had saved, whitesgems.com. Does anyone have any experience with them? Reading through the website, the process looks so easy. And you can return the stone, within 7 days if you don't like it, even commissioned cut stones, with a restocking fee. There's also a sapphire in the gallery of finished work thats... pretty lovely.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Coralkey|1475039106|4081539 said:
I was just looking through some of my bookmarks, and I completely forgot about one site I had saved, whitesgems.com. Does anyone have any experience with them? Reading through the website, the process looks so easy. And you can return the stone, within 7 days if you don't like it, even commissioned cut stones, with a restocking fee. There's also a sapphire in the gallery of finished work thats... pretty lovely.

Jeff white is a very good cutter but you'll pay for the privilege. But again, chrysoberyl is cheaper, so even his premium cutting might still be affordable. I haven't checked in months bit last I asked he did have yellow chrysoberyl, and probably has yellow sapphire. Shoot him an email he's very nice.

Colored stones take time. Don't give up just yet.

The chrysoberyl ring I posted is a yellow gold head with white gold shank.

Coralkey

Rough_Rock
Niel|1475062067|4081584 said:
The chrysoberyl ring I posted is a yellow gold head with white gold shank.

That ring has become my inspiration lol, it's like looking at a lemon Italian ice. I spoke to my BF about the possibility of having a stone cut, and he said I could do anything I want. He also said I could get a padparadscha until he saw how much they go for :lol: Might anyone have some suggestions/links to stone cutters they recommend? I was just looking at precision gem, and the stones on that site are beautiful. Does anyone have experience with precision gem? I'm still looking for a cut stone, as I feel it's easier, but I don't want to rule out the option of having something cut in case this search goes on longer than I'd like.

I also found this http://gemfix.com/gems/sapphire-yellow-566-round-portuguese-cut-3-17cts... The color is beautiful, but I don't know if the cut is stellar or if there are inclusions.

S

SparkliesLuver

I'd highly recommend Jerry Newman (http://gemartservices.com/) and Ryan Quantz (http://www.instagram.com/quantzstudios/), for outside stones or ones in their inventory. Both of them have cut several stones for me as well as recuts. Gene of Precision Gem and Jeff of Whites Gems are both outstanding lapidaries but I believe they only cut their own inventory. It's worth reaching out. :)

Gemfix has that sapphire graded as VVS and Andrew cut it, so I don't think either of those aspects are cause for concern.

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
How do you feel about concave cuts? They will have the firey look you mentioned.

http://www.concavegems.com/detail.cfm?zNum=5317
http://www.concavegems.com/detail.cfm?zNum=6845

I would have thought that when commissioning a custom cut stone, it would be important to accept a little leeway in the colour of the finished product (because as the rough gets cut away, the optical path length of the light inside the medium goes down, leading to changes in how we perceive the colour of the stone. And thus the finished product may not be a 100% match for the rough).

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's a lovely sapphire but the setting you want would absolutely put you over budget. Are you ok with that??

Still no photos from pearlmans

Coralkey

Rough_Rock
I havent gotten additional photos of anything I've inquired about lol. I got an email from gemfix saying they are closed until 10/2. I had sent a few emails before inquiring about color and basically was told to try again some other time because they dont have what im looking for. Pearlmans told me a stone I was inquiring about was sold, then I asked about a different stone, and I got a response about the first one and if i still wanted it because it was actually still available, they never sent any additional photos. Africa gems emailed me back to ask if I'd prefer a photo or a video, and never responded after that. Maybe its me lol.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Coralkey|1475200177|4082264 said:
I havent gotten additional photos of anything I've inquired about lol. I got an email from gemfix saying they are closed until 10/2. I had sent a few emails before inquiring about color and basically was told to try again some other time because they dont have what im looking for. Pearlmans told me a stone I was inquiring about was sold, then I asked about a different stone, and I got a response about the first one and if i still wanted it because it was actually still available, they never sent any additional photos. Africa gems emailed me back to ask if I'd prefer a photo or a video, and never responded after that. Maybe its me lol.

Email pearlmans again. Those photos shouldn't take much more than 24 hours from that vendor

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Coralkey

Rough_Rock
Concave cuts are interesting, but I'm just not in love with it, and after looking at a whole lot of chrysoberyl, I feel like there's too much green in a lot of them, and I'm not really going for that. :(( I'm waiting on responses to a few emails, while I'm waiting I guess I'll tumble further down the internet gem rabbit hole lol

Coralkey

Rough_Rock
I couldn''t get that beautiful chrysoberyl ring that Niel posted. That ring has made me rethink this whole thing, even what metal to use. I was reading around the site, looking for more pictures of it and whatnot, and I found that it has an awesome back story!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nothing wrong with a rabbit hole

You're absolutely right, chrysoberyl can have green. You would want that.

I think the best thing you can have is options. The more you find the more you can tell what's really you.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How does this color suit you

picsart_10-03-03.jpg

Coralkey

Rough_Rock
That color is perfect! What is that shape considered?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results