shape
carat
color
clarity

Scott Kay Pave band VS Plain -- A taste test!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Check out the 3rd ring from the left. It''s their knife edge 3.5mm platinum band with channel set diamonds, .30 tw all the way around. $2500. From Union Street Goldsmith in San Francisco. I''m sure they could make it polished instead of matte. :)

PlatinumWF.html

Here''s the URL in case the image didn''t show up:
http://www.unionstreetgoldsmith.com/pages/SlideShow/PlatinumWF.html

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
True -- I can only imagine what they do to get those photos to look like they do.

Well, I think I''ll sit on it all for a while. Get the quotes tomorrow and see what happens. I''ve got my solitaire and matching plain band on my left hand and my shared prong wedding band on my right. Not too bad at all!!

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK, trying again. It''s the 3rd one from the left. Knife-edge with channel set diamonds, .30 tcw, 3.5mm wide. I think a 2.5mm wide band, polished, would be perfect with your set. :)

PlatWaterfall.jpg

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
thanks Kristy! Yeah, that band is too thick, but something like that would be cool -- polished, of course. I like the first tiny little channel set band. It says it''s 30 points for $2150!! Pricey!

slammie

Shiny_Rock
Demelza, i'm sorry that the SK didn't work for you. Personally I like the plain band best too. From someone who used to have the gorgeous SB tiffany setting, in my opinion that setting doesn't look quite right with shared prong bands (pave especially). I tried to find a diamond band with it as well! I chose that setting because a colleague had the real tiffany and I fell in love with it. However, she had the tiffany channel set band with it and it looked GREAT together. Personally I don't care for the channel set bands but while I was trying on different bands, I found that the channel band looked best with it..maybe the clean lines..I don't know. However, channel set bands with minimal metal on the sides looked best. That is why I changed my setting to the vatche royal crown..the shared prong band looked much better with that and I wanted a diamond wedding band.
I really like the plain band with it but maybe you should try looking for a channel set band that isn't too wide or with too much metal. Do you live near a tiffany store to check out some bands? Maybe two thin shared prong or pave diamond bands stacked on either side might be cute too.

ETA: oops, i guess you have visited the tiffany channel set idea already. With a newborn it took me 3 hours to post this!!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/15/2005 10:37:17 PM
Author: slammie
Demelza, i'm sorry that the SK didn't work for you. Personally I like the plain band best too. From someone who used to have the gorgeous SB tiffany setting, in my opinion that setting doesn't look quite right with shared prong bands (pave especially). I tried to find a diamond band with it as well! I chose that setting because a colleague had the real tiffany and I fell in love with it. However, she had the tiffany channel set band with it and it looked GREAT together. Personally I don't care for the channel set bands but while I was trying on different bands, I found that the channel band looked best with it..maybe the clean lines..I don't know. However, channel set bands with minimal metal on the sides looked best. That is why I changed my setting to the vatche royal crown..the shared prong band looked much better with that and I wanted a diamond wedding band.
I really like the plain band with it but maybe you should try looking for a channel set band that isn't too wide or with too much metal. Do you live near a tiffany store to check out some bands? Maybe two thin shared prong or pave diamond bands stacked on either side might be cute too.

ETA: oops, i guess you have visited the tiffany channel set idea already. With a newborn it took me 3 hours to post this!!
Slammie!! Wow I saw that you posted in here and had to check it out!! Congrats on your new baby! We have missed you and your absolutely beautiful ring set around here...I still hope to visit Toppers soon! Welcome back!!
36.gif

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/15/2005 10:41:49 PM
Author: Mara

Ditto!! It''s so great to see you back. Congrats on the baby!! How are your gorgeous rings doing?? They are still the talk of the town around here!!

So, you had the SC setting as well? What did you wear with it?

slammie

Shiny_Rock
Hey Mara!
35.gif
I love your new avatar...looks like you! Missed being on here for sure =) Thanks for the congrats..really trying at the moment though as little one is super colicky
32.gif

You know, I just remembered that I never got back to you on the pave head thing (awful of me..so sorry!!) Bill asked me to tell you to come in personally..did you ever get down there? Besides, they give good discounts and it is almost christmas time....
31.gif

slammie

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/15/2005 10:46:11 PM
Author: Demelza
Date: 11/15/2005 10:41:49 PM

Author: Mara

Ditto!! It''s so great to see you back. Congrats on the baby!! How are your gorgeous rings doing?? They are still the talk of the town around here!!
So, you had the SC setting as well? What did you wear with it?

Thanks Dem!! My rings don''t see the light of day these days...because I''m constantly washin my hands!! I didn''t wear a band with it because I got the RC before we got married. Man I wished I kept that tiffany setting though. I still kick my self for selling it. By the way i LOVE your diamond..it''s so beautiful and I''m so jealous
11.gif
No more upgrades for me in the distant future though hehe..but did get some 1.30 tcw 3 prong martini set diamond studs as a new mommy present so I''m happy for now!
I did find the knife edge a little uncomfortable but I think that''s because I was constantly looking at my new ring and squeezing my hands together. Glad you like it and it does make your center stone look HUGE!!

DonaBella

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/15/2005 10:50:54 PM
Author: slammie
Hey Mara!
35.gif
I love your new avatar...looks like you! Missed being on here for sure =) Thanks for the congrats..really trying at the moment though as little one is super colicky
32.gif

You know, I just remembered that I never got back to you on the pave head thing (awful of me..so sorry!!) Bill asked me to tell you to come in personally..did you ever get down there? Besides, they give good discounts and it is almost christmas time....
31.gif
Hi Slammie...Your ring set started me thinking about an upgrade and now its happening!!!
emwink.gif
I actually called Bill just yesterday about doing a ring set for me but also adding another WB for a 3 ring look. I am going to pm you cuz I have questions...hope that''s ok...
emembarrassed.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Slammie I haven't gotten down to Toppers...someday...hopefully especially after I upgrade to my ~2.3c stone next spring...then I can think about a new head possibly. Next time we are down there I will definitely get Greg in here, oh look at this nice jewelers...hee hee.
2.gif

I hope you stick around...we've missed you...and your ring still gets RAVE reviews. So swoonable. If you don't want to wear it, send it up the peninsula a bit to me in SJ.
9.gif

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
Quick update: I went to my jeweler today to discuss custom options and try on some other bands. I tried on a band very similar to the Michael B crown lace collection with a very gentle knife edge. It actually looked really good, but it was a little too thick all the way around. I tried on some more bead set bands, but nothing worked. Talked to the goldsmith who basically advised against the knife-edge pave idea. He said that the diamonds would likely wear away at the solitaire, and, if I didn't want to solder them, he just wouldn't recommend it. So, I think I'll stick with what I've got for now and if miraculously I come across some great band one day that just happens to work perfectly, I'll grab it. In the meantime, I love this set and how it puts all the focus where it belongs: on the diamond!!

Thanks for all the opinions and suggestions!!! If this were an actual poll, I think the plain band would have won hands down!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m glad Demelza. I adore your set and think it''s smashing and sophisticated. If down the road you come across a diamond band that works you''ll know it. But enjoy what you have, it''s amazing.

Leila

Brilliant_Rock
Demelza, I adore your knife edge set. I think the matching band looks perfect with your solitaire setting. It really showcases the diamond like nothing else.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No question - the plain band would have won hands down! You have an absolutely beautiful setting - enjoy! We are all always looking for that next goody - if you ever run across it you will know it!

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Demelza, I''m glad that you''ve decided to stick with what you have for now. Especially since what you have is STUNNING!

Slammie, if you''re still reading this thead, congrats on the baby! And I''m sorry about the colic.
14.gif

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
Oh I absolutely love the plain w-band with your e-ring! It''s a perfect match and showcases your gorgeous diamond!

Carrie

VuittonGal

Shiny_Rock
I definitely vote for the plain band. It''s very simple, timeless and elegant. I think the diamond bands take away from the e-ring stone.

bling*diva*

Ideal_Rock
~~Great choice Dem!!! I love the plain band with your solitaire!!
30.gif

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
Thanks guys! I''m happy with my decision. It''s the first sunny day we''ve had for a while up here, so I thought I''d take a few more pics. Here''s a couple I thought I''d share.

lmbd0001_2.JPG

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
One more....

lmbd0001.JPG

Patty

Ideal_Rock
This is one of the most amazing photos I''ve ever seen of a diamond.
6.gif

lmbd0001_2.JPG

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree Patty. Dem that is just an awesome shot!!! WOW!!

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
Thanks
9.gif
! Got lucky, I think!!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What type of camera are you using? Diamond looks great!!!!

Leila

Brilliant_Rock
Oh Demelza, that diamond is electric!
30.gif

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/17/2005 7:08:50 PM
Author: MissGotRocks

Thanks. Camera is just a Canon Powershot A520 (don''t know what any of that means, but it was only about $250).

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/17/2005 8:38:23 PM
Author: Demelza
Date: 11/17/2005 7:08:50 PM

Author: MissGotRocks

Thanks. Camera is just a Canon Powershot A520 (don''t know what any of that means, but it was only about $250).

We have the same camera but my pictures don''t come out like that
39.gif
What mode do you use?

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous pics Dem!!!!
36.gif
36.gif

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/17/2005 4:22:26 PM
Author: Patty
This is one of the most amazing photos I've ever seen of a diamond.
6.gif

OHMYWORD!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
I sooooo agree! Good heavens, Dem! 2.35 carats of SHEER PERFECTION! *YUM!*

*swooning!*

Lynn

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results