shape
carat
color
clarity

Scott Kay Pave band VS Plain -- A taste test!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

curlygirl

Ideal_Rock
I''m a little late to the game but I think the plain band looks perfect. The SK is growing on me and is a close second but you really can''t go wrong with the plain one.

bling*diva*

Ideal_Rock
~~I like the plain band and the shared prong!! I can''t decide which one!!
2.gif

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
I keep coming back to this thread...but I think the reason the plain band looks better is becuase it is a set, clearly meant to go together. The SK band looks like an afterthought and doesnt really look right.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/15/2005 7:06:24 AM
Author: Paula C
... Here is a shot of vatche''s knife edge (disregard the e-ring). Tough to tell from the picutres if it would be to wide. Anyway - just something else to consider to keep to the lnes of your gorgeous ering. I''m sure whiteflash could make you up a beautifully proportioned version.

Oh yeah! Now we''re talkin''! THAT might just be the ticket. I think that could look GORGEOUS, and give you the little extra bling we all love so much!

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
okay, what do y'all think of this one: this is the smaller of the SK bands (the 50 pointer). Someone local to me had it so I bought it and returned it since I want to buy from Bill. But do you think the smaller looks better?

ETA 90 point band on top, 50 point band on bottom

tastetest0001_7.JPG

SCSK0001_3.JPG

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
another of the 50 pointer

SCSK0001_6.JPG

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
not to me..i think that the style of the band just doesn't GO with the solitaire. smaller or larger stones. and with the smaller, i feel like the smaller ring is sooo lost under your big stone too.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I STILL think a diamond knife edge band would be the best with your e-ring.

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
Or, there''s this option:

ljrd0600fr.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/15/2005 3:40:50 PM
Author: Tacori E-ring
I *totally* agree. I mentioned to Dem that she should have someone replicate her knife edge matching plain band but with diamonds. Then it would match perfectly with her solitaire, sit flush and be sparkly.

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/15/2005 3:42:07 PM
Author: Mara

I *totally* agree. I mentioned to Dem that she should have someone replicate her knife edge matching plain band but with diamonds. Then it would match perfectly with her solitaire, sit flush and be sparkly.

I''m going to look into that option tomorrow when I go down to Bellingham. I think it''s probably the best bet. I wonder if any of the Vatche knife edge bands would work. They look big in the pics, but it''s hard to tell.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you Mara I was feeling ignored
2.gif
I just don''t like knife edge bands with flat ones. It looks funny to me.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock

DITTO a hundred times DITTO. NONE of those shared prong/channel set/bead set rings look right IMO.

However, I DO "love, love" the plain band. So you''ve got a hella back up position Demelza!! As you already own the front-runner.
2.gif

What''s that they say "Don''t mess with success!"
17.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
That''s the interesting thing Tacori...I think we see so many solitaires and eternities around here we overlook an important aspect of this particular set, which is that this solitaire is KNIFE EDGE. Sure it''s subtle but I think that is why none of these bands are looking as good. I think ESPECIALLY after seeing the matching knife edge plain band with the solitaire, that the rest just look like they are trying to match up but just are missing the mark. Unfortunately because they are all really pretty!!

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/15/2005 3:44:19 PM
Thank you Mara I was feeling ignored
2.gif
I just don''t like knife edge bands with flat ones. It looks funny to me.

Sorry, Tacori. Didn''t mean to ignore you. I totally hear you that a knife edge looks best and I''m tending to agree. Not something I thought about when I first bought the ring. I was really hoping it would be more versatile. Oh well, I do love it and the plain does look great. And I''m sure my jeweler can make a stunning ring. Do you think I should go full eternity?

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
If it''s pave I would go half.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would try and find a place to try some on b/f you go custom with the knife edge pave. I know tacori makes a knife edge wedding band. I tried it own at a local jeweler. I didn''t fall in love with it but I did have a knife edge solitaire either. You''ll know if you can see it in person..

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/15/2005 4:05:32 PM
Author: mrssalvo
I would try and find a place to try some on b/f you go custom with the knife edge pave. I know tacori makes a knife edge wedding band. I tried it own at a local jeweler. I didn''t fall in love with it but I did have a knife edge solitaire either. You''ll know if you can see it in person..

I think trying them on would be a good idea. Problem is, they''re not that easy to find! I mean, I can''t remember ever seeing a knife edge pave band in a store. Maybe I wasn''t looking, but still, they don''t seem as readily available as other types of rings.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
yeah, maybe you can find a tacori dealer who could get on in? Maybe one of the PS vendors who carries vatche has one they could send you too look at?

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
just a thought- but have you thought about doing a custom band like this? Tawn posted it. it looks like it has a knife edge.

newebaytawn.jpg

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I vote for the plain band!!! When my husband and I went to look for wedding bands I wanted a plain one to match my e-ring but I got talked into a band with diamonds. Although I don''t regret it, I have thought about wearing my diamond band on my right hand and getting a plain band to go with my e-ring. I love the simplicity and how much it makes your diamond pop out.

upgrading mama

Brilliant_Rock
How about 2 knife edge bands, one on either side? Yes, still a plain set, but with an interesting look to go with amazing center stone!! I really like the shared prong band and I think that would be just gorgeous too!! We have 10 fingers to use, so one the RHR is chosen, start working on other fingers!!
emotion-5.gif

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
Okay, so I've decided not to keep the SK band. Sad to see it go, but it just doesn't work. Bill has been so nice through this whole process, by the way. Excellent customer service. Anyway, I'm going to get a couple of quotes to make a pave band using the plain ring as a mold. That way it would look most like a set. But what I'm wondering is, why does this channel set band work with the Tiffany's ring? And would that ring from Firenze's I posted earlier work as well since it has a channel set look? I'm just looking for less expensive and less risky (since custom can't be returned) alternatives.

Okay, Tiffany's ring didn't post. I'll try again.

And here's the Firenze ring: plat, .49 cttw, F, VS2 bead set diamonds, 2.5 mm for $845

ljrd0600fr.jpg

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
okay, here''s the tiffany ring with channel set band

bal;sdkfj.jpg

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I dunno, I guess I''m just not as hung up on the whole gotta-be-a-knife edge band idea. Like the Tiffany pic that you posted, I think a solitaire, whether it be a knife edge or rounded, is classic and simple enough to go with ANY kind of band. Shared prong, pave, channel, knife-edge, whatever!

My personal preference is for a channel set band, but with very small, subtle diamonds. Kind of like http://www.hamiltonhilljewelry.com/images/whitneyboin/019_lg.jpg but with a thinner band and polished metal.

2 cents worth!
Kristy

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
I think the look of the Tiffany with the channel set works well because the channel setting has nice fluid sides. The SK ring and others have little prongs or beads that kind are kind of distracting. I don''t know how better to explain what I mean LOL

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
So I think the Firenze ring might work. Hard to tell from the pic.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t really think that the channel Tiffanys ''works'' with that solitaire personally. Also, I think that something being ''aligned'' for a picture is not the same as it resting on the hand. The shared prong Tiffany picture that snlee has in her avatar looks flush but in reality the Tiffany solitaire does not sit flush with it''s eternities, my friend has one and it never looks like the picture.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Using your current band as a mold is a good idea; I''d just have to find a couple of knife edge bands to try first to get the idea before I put big money into another band. Maybe you could upgrade the band you have now from SP as a RHR and keep the plain band on the other hand. It''s hard to perfect perfection!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with Mara on that one - rings in pictures can look completely different on the hand. Tiff''s must spend thousands of dollars on photographing their jewelry - the pics make anything look good!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results