shape
carat
color
clarity

SARAH-- and other brides who want to loose weight.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ringster

Brilliant_Rock
yesterday - lunch
i had cup of rice and egg white omlette - i buy the carton of egg whites that they sell at TJs

yesterday - dinner
we went out and i had a pork stir fry that came with soup and rice. i didn't eat the rice since i already have some for lunch. the stir fry was huge but i thought it was ok since it was mostly veggies and it wasn't the greasy kind

i didn't do any exercise today at all
38.gif
. BUT i was much happier at my dress fitting yesterday! it was easier for my zip to go up! yay! my seamstress commented on it but she said don't lose any more weight! i told her don't worry, i love to eat too much but just trying to eat healthier.

i can't promise that i will always reply to everyone's posts but i really wanted to do so today :)

gypsy - i'm so glad you are doing so well taking your med and that you are feeling better about the food choices you are making
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

sarah - i know it is hard to eat healthy when you are so busy studying. maybe if you can try to make the healthier choice when you go. hang in there! i'm curious, are you using the wii to exercise? i can't do it but i have heard of others who do. also it is really surprising how eating healthy and getting even 15-20 of walking can actually help energy for studying.

Webmd Fast Food Choices

Lauren1116 - lady you have an amazing work out program during the week! it is no wonder that come the weekend you just want to let it all out. just a thought, but do you think cause you are all guns during the week, somehow you think you "deserve" to not think healthily on the weekend? maybe if you eased up during the week, you might not feel like letting it out on the weekend? again just my thoughts - i know that i would be thinking this way, right or wrong.

and i hear you about free food. hmmm, i think maybe if you can shift your thinking about the free food - it is really NOT free cause if you eat too much there will be a cost.

and i agree with you, i think that "bring your teacher's favorite candy day!" is terrible! you should totally talk to the principal about changing this to a healthier tradition. what kind of message is the school sending to the kids in this age of obesity and diabetes on the rise? i really feel for you and all of the teachers who are getting 10lbs of junk.

sumbride - I AM SO EXCITED FOR YOU!!! that is so great that you went to the yoga class and i love the fact that your teacher has been there and done that so to say. that will be such an inspiration to you
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

basil - ha ha, i know what you mean by trying to avoid the free bagels. we had some on thurs and luckily they were located somewhere a bit further from my desk so it was not as easy for me to just pick one up. and i totally want to go see iron man!

my goal for today to exercise for at least 20min

ringster

Brilliant_Rock
i wanted to add that even though i don''t calorie count, i did initially and it was a very educational and eye opening experience. it made me more aware of how many calories are in the different things i eat. for example, a lot of the drinks i was drinking like soda were like 150 calories and ones that were not doing anything for me healthwise and that i''d prefer to put these calories towards my actual meals and snacks. another example is rice. i had no idea that a cup of white rice was over 200 calories. i easily would eat 2 cups usually!

so i would recommend to those who don''t calorie count, to do it just for a week or two in order to get a sense of where your calories are coming from and how they all add up. i used a combo of www.sparkpeople.com (to track calories) and www.thedailyplate.com (to look up calorie content). you have to signup with sparkpeople but the membership is free and you don''t need to sign up with thedailyplate to use the nutrition lookup

October2008bride

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/2/2008 1:20:09 PM
Author: surfgirl
For people that have trouble drinking enough water each day, I highly recommend Propel water. It''s awesome. I''m addicted to it now. The peach, grape and berry are my favs but it has about 25 calories in a medium bottle and it''s basically flavored water with some vitamins...Some vitamin waters have a lot of calories but not Propel. I get very queasy drinking even a big glass of water so this really saved me.
MMM I love propel too!! I found that it gave me headaches though (and that was the reason I was trying to drink more H2O was to stop headaches!) so I stopped. Not sure if it was the propel or something else, but I agree that if you have issues with water to try it. The grape was my fave!!

Water makes me queasy sometimes too - what do you think causes that Surfgirl?

Courtneylub

Brilliant_Rock
Ringster - Isn''t is crazy when you realize how many cals you''re consuming??

Yesterday:
Breakfast - Special K bar
Snack - strawberries and triscuit thin crisps
Lunch - chickfila 4 nugget kids meal with a side salad
Snack - thin crisps (ok I need to leave the box at home and bring little baggies with the correct serving size in them)
Dinner - sushi, 3 small crab puffs (bad), 1.5 pieces of salmon, 3 california rolls, low sodium soy sauce
Drinks - one vodka sprite, 2 frozen momossas
Workout - none, but walked around the mall

Today:
So far...
Breakfast - 2 reduced fat cinnamon rolls (280 cals total)

Not sure what I''m doing for lunch, but I want to stick to a salad or sandwich.

Dinner will be mexican food galore at our catered co-ed shower our friends are hosting tonight. That also means lots of margaritas! I will try to stick to chicken fajitas with no sour cream or tortillas, etc.

October2008bride

Brilliant_Rock
HAPPY SATURDAY! Not that we''ve been doing this long, but try not to completely fall off the wagon on weekends girls - a little treat won''t kill us, but let''s not have to restart from scratch on Monday. :)

Yesterday, here is what I had:

Breakfast - whole wheat bagel with orange juice

Lunch - grilled salmon with veggies and a small bit of jasmine rice (was taken out by my mentor!)

Dinner - Pasta! (i know - but I was at a potential rehersal dinner spot with FI and his parents so I had to eat ;-)

Drinks - 3 vodka tonics, and 3 glasses of wine (WAYYYY more than normal but I was CELEBRATING my NEW JOB!!!!!!!!! Yep that''s right, I got some great news and was offered a job in the department I was hoping for!!!!! Woo hooo!!!)

Now back on topic - today still won''t be great because I"m going for a celebration dinner tonight, but for lunch I''m having a sub on whole wheat. No mayo or anything. So hopefully not too bad.

Working on the water thing...not easy though!

Hope you are all having a great weekend!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yay October! Congrats on the new job!

Sum -- I''m glad you liked the yoga class. I wish we had one for us regular folk. My dad''s really into yoga but he''s super fit, and I don''t think I''d survive if I joined him.

We skipped breakfast today because we had to drop my FI''s car off at the sealer to get worked on, and we got alater start than we had intended to. We went to Pizza Hut nearby and got a diet pepsi, the salad bar, and we split a healthier version of their thin and crispy pizza. It had had the cheese and maybe a little more sauce (although we couldn''t tell). The pizza had ham and pineapple, and my FI got red onion added to his half. We only had one piece of pizza each and two helpings of salad at the salad bar, so I don''t think we did badly. It was also very good!

I''m ready for a snack and I think I might grab a 100 calorie pudding cup from the fridge. They don''t fill you up but it''s something. I might also make a cup of tea also.

Not sure what we''re doing for dinner yet -- either leftover pizza or something else.

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
Hello everyone!!

ringster: Hello! Yep I think Wii is kind of fun as an exercise alternative. Probably not a good idea as primary cardio or anything, but when you're as out of shape as I am moving around for like a 20-30 minutes playing Wii can really burn some calories! Ooh, thank you for the advice on walking. :) I like walking. Hate running, like walking.

Breakfast: Juice box, bagel, and an apple. Not exactly balanced, but better than nothing.

Lunch: Nothing
40.gif

Dinner: FI and I are talking about going out to eat to celebrate me being 50% done with finals and it being a Saturday woohoo. I am thinking a sandwich place or an Italian place sounds good.

How I Feel: I feel pretty tired since I was up crazy late studying for my final today. Saturday morning, yuuuck! Other than that I feel good. I haven't weighed myself today, not sure if I will. It might be a good idea to only weigh once a week. If we go out to eat we're going to do it at a local outdoor mall area, so at least we'll get some walking in. I think that'd definitely be a good thing.

Goals for Today: More Water and only Diet Sodas (I have been doing so good, even though we went to Wendy's yesterday I did at least get a diet soda. You have no idea how big of a step it is for me to drink non-regular sodas. I have also been slicing my caffeine down to virtually nothing and drinking caffeine free when possible. Sorry diet pepsi max! I do kind of miss you
37.gif
). Finally, I want to get up and move around a bit more before tonight. Oh and I don't know if this counts as a goal or not especially since I don't drink a lot, but I am going to have a drink tonight because I feel like I've earned it this week! Woohoo!

I hope Saturday finds all of you and yours well!

ETA: I almost forgot CONGRATS October!! and I am glad to hear that yoga went well Sum!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay girls, I started out just reading this because I am trying to lose some weight, but somewhere within these 6 pages I saw Gypsy open this up to more than just brides-to-be, so I thought I''d join you!

Here''s my background. I was skinny as a child...so skinny that I tried to find ways to gain weight!!! Through my 20''s and 30''s I stayed in the 120''s to 130''s at a height of 5'' 6 1/2", so I was always thin even after having babies. I never worked out and ate whatever I wanted. Fast forward to my mid-40''s and I started to slowly put on weight without really realizing it. This was gradual and a result of three things...eating badly (too much fast food, chocolate, etc.), stress, and hormonal changes. I had never been on a diet in my life and love food so much that I didn''t think I would EVER be able to do so!

But we went to the beach for spring break, and I thought about coming back in the summer and having to wear shorts and bathing suits and it just made me sick! So I decided I needed to go on an un-diet...as in, changing the way I was eating permanently, rather than depriving myself of food and failing at a diet!

I am also not a calorie counter, but I did spend a day on this site ( http://www.calorieking.com/foods/ ) just to figure out what the best fast foods were and also to make a list of low calorie staples that I could eat daily. I have also learned that white flour products are bad for us (make us hungrier faster with little nutritional value) and to substitute whole wheat for all pasta and bread, and use brown rice.

I started on this change of eating habits the beginning of April, and I lost about 8 pounds by the end of the month.
36.gif
I eat when I am hungry, but I just choose healthier things to eat. We don''t have a whole foods store here, though, so my foods all have to be available in a regular grocery store!

I start every day with 1 big piece of whole wheat toast (or two of the smaller pieces) for 100 calories with just a tiny bit of Smart Balance spread (maybe 20 calories). I do drink 1 cup of coffee to begin the day, but I have substituted hot tea some days.

For lunch, I made the biggest change. I quit eating a full meal in the school cafeteria (talk about mega calories!) and instead drink Slimfast. I actually love the Cappuchino Delight (180 calories). I have that around 11:30. It''s too much trouble to fix a lunch to take with me, so the Slimfast is perfect for me. I do sip on bottled water throughout the day.

Then for snack around 2:30-3:00, I have either an apple, natural applesauce, or Dannon Light and Fit (0% fat) blueberry yogurt, all 60 calories.

Then for dinner, we still sometimes get fast food, but I either get the lowfat option from Subway or a salad and grilled chicken sandwich elsewhere. I think the Arby'' s Super Roast Beef is only about 300 calories, too. Then on the nights we cook, we usually have chicken or fish with veggies and sometimes the whole wheat pasta or brown rice. I really do not count these calories, but I hope that I generally don''t go over around 800. So that means that most days, I am at around 1200 or so calories, and it is pretty much all healthy foods.

My confession this past week is that my weight stayed the same partly because my hubby brought home mexican dip and crab dip, and I had a few extra snacks before dinner!!
32.gif
I realize now that I cannot do that, so I am asking him to please not tempt me like that!

My other big temptation is chocolate, but instead of eating a hershey bar or M&M''s
23.gif
, I have one piece of hard candy (9 calories) and occasionally, a (40 calorie) Fudgesicle (no sugar added).

The main thing I have given up is fried foods, but for everything else I love, like carbs, I have substituted healthier options such as whole grains. So I do not feel deprived. I did have to adjust to the smaller portion at lunch, but I now find I make it through the afternoon feeling much less sleepy than I did when I ate the big lunch!
36.gif

My goal is to lose 20-25 more pounds, about 5 pounds per month. So in 4-5 months, I can be at my goal and then just eat enough to maintain that. We did get a nice treadmill for Christmas, and I have not yet developed the habit of using it 4 times a week. I hope to do that, but I want to control my weight by what I eat and use the walking mainly for health benefits.

Good luck to all the brides! Looking good for your wedding pictures would be a huge incentive! (Watch the drinks, though...those are adding a LOT of empty calories!
2.gif
)

October2008bride

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Zoe and Sarah for the congrats!! This has been a long time coming at I''m so glad it worked out! Basically, you bust your A%@ for 10 months and hope that the firm offers you a full time position. Thank goodness it paid off!!

I definitely blew it at my celebratory dinner, but it was soooo worth it!! Tomorrow will be good though, so back on the horse!

:)

Good luck on your finals Sarah and thanks for the info DS - I can use some of those tips! :)

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
Zoe - The program does have a book and a cd available to do at home. There are some pretty amazing success stories as well. The website is YRG and if you want to take a peak, my instructor is Arthur Boorman, the disabled vet featured on the site. His story is amazing.

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/3/2008 12:40:45 PM
Author: October2008bride
Date: 5/2/2008 1:20:09 PM

For people that have trouble drinking enough water each day, I highly recommend Propel water. It''s awesome. I''m addicted to it now. The peach, grape and berry are my favs but it has about 25 calories in a medium bottle and it''s basically flavored water with some vitamins...Some vitamin waters have a lot of calories but not Propel. I get very queasy drinking even a big glass of water so this really saved me.
MMM I love propel too!! I found that it gave me headaches though (and that was the reason I was trying to drink more H2O was to stop headaches!) so I stopped. Not sure if it was the propel or something else, but I agree that if you have issues with water to try it. The grape was my fave!!

Water makes me queasy sometimes too - what do you think causes that Surfgirl?
October, I have no clue why some of us get really queasy when we drink too much water, but water based drinks like Propel have a completely different effect. It''s odd for sure. I can chug a bottle of Propel without any problems but if I tried the same with plain water I''d feel awful. It''s bizarre...

ringster''s comment about calorie counting is prompting to once again encourage those who are serious to try Weight Watchers...there is a reason so many people have success with it, it works! Similar to ringster, when I started counting the points food has, with the WW points system, I didn''t realize how quickly one''s food intake added up. I dont really have to count anymore because I have a pretty good handle on what things are and if I''m not sure I use my points calculator and figure it out. For anyone who wants to try WW but is put off by the meetings, I never went, except for the 1st time, which they encourage so they can explain the plans to you. I''m not a big group person, and I was sufficiently motivated that I used the WW online site and tracked my weight loss there each week when I weighed in at home. Also, I found it very helpful at first, to take a purple Sharpie pen and go through the contents of my fridge and pantry and mark the points on everything, the entire box, as well as each portion, so that way I knew if I made the whole box it would be X points, but if I ate the portion it was Y points. In the end it''s changed how I eat, in terms of me knowing that if I splurge on something one day, I have to cut back and do more cardio the next day. Anyway, I dont know if that helps anyone but it did help me a lot when I was just starting to lose weight...

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
I walked another 3 miles yesterday, to the pharmacy. That''s 10 miles in the past 3 days. Am still sick, so I only had 2 crackers for breakfast, nothing for lunch, and the Brit equivalent of Ramen noodles for dinner (Suuuuper Noooodles!). Today I''m hoping to be able to stomach some juice and a tuna sandwich.

Courtneylub

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/3/2008 12:45:20 PM
Author: Courtneylub
Ringster - Isn''t is crazy when you realize how many cals you''re consuming??

Yesterday:
Breakfast - Special K bar
Snack - strawberries and triscuit thin crisps
Lunch - chickfila 4 nugget kids meal with a side salad
Snack - thin crisps (ok I need to leave the box at home and bring little baggies with the correct serving size in them)
Dinner - sushi, 3 small crab puffs (bad), 1.5 pieces of salmon, 3 california rolls, low sodium soy sauce
Drinks - one vodka sprite, 2 frozen momossas
Workout - none, but walked around the mall

Today:
So far...
Breakfast - 2 reduced fat cinnamon rolls (280 cals total)

Not sure what I''m doing for lunch, but I want to stick to a salad or sandwich.

Dinner will be mexican food galore at our catered co-ed shower our friends are hosting tonight. That also means lots of margaritas! I will try to stick to chicken fajitas with no sour cream or tortillas, etc.
Well, I did stick to a leafy salad for lunch yesterday and had about 1/3 bag of kettle corn for a snack. Dinner was one chicken fajita, a few chips and guacamole, and who knows how many rita''s I had. Our shower was a great time though!

Today we already went and had our greasy breakfast that we spurlge on every once in a while. 2 fried eggs, hashbrowns, toast, bacon, few bites of a waffle. Baaaaad. I will make it up by eating great for lunch and dinner. It''s also a beautiful day for a walk.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/4/2008 1:53:01 AM

ringster''s comment about calorie counting is prompting to once again encourage those who are serious to try Weight Watchers...there is a reason so many people have success with it, it works! Similar to ringster, when I started counting the points food has, with the WW points system, I didn''t realize how quickly one''s food intake added up. I dont really have to count anymore because I have a pretty good handle on what things are and if I''m not sure I use my points calculator and figure it out. For anyone who wants to try WW but is put off by the meetings, I never went, except for the 1st time, which they encourage so they can explain the plans to you. I''m not a big group person, and I was sufficiently motivated that I used the WW online site and tracked my weight loss there each week when I weighed in at home. Also, I found it very helpful at first, to take a purple Sharpie pen and go through the contents of my fridge and pantry and mark the points on everything, the entire box, as well as each portion, so that way I knew if I made the whole box it would be X points, but if I ate the portion it was Y points. In the end it''s changed how I eat, in terms of me knowing that if I splurge on something one day, I have to cut back and do more cardio the next day. Anyway, I dont know if that helps anyone but it did help me a lot when I was just starting to lose weight...
Ditto, it does work and foods are not off limits. They teach you portion control and numerous help things and it is reasonable compared to Jenny Craig and other plans like that. Also there is the WWT in Family and Home and everyone is welcome to join if you like
1.gif

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
Hello everyone! I haven''t been around much today, been really busy ugh. I didn''t eat well at all, but I weighed myself and I''ve only gained .4 of a lb back so considering how bad I ate this weekend, that''s not too bad! I did stick to my diet coke though so yaay! Only splurged for a Shirley Temple.

What I ate: Bad + diet coke = ehhh I''ll let it pass this time.
How I''m feeling: Decent, but tired. I think I might be a bit sick.
14.gif
Guess that''s what happens when you keep such a crappy sleep schedule. I also forgot to take my allergy medicine one night so my allergies ARE NUTS right now. Anyway, I think I might just go to bed soon.

gwendolyn You are doing some great exercising, keep up the good work! I wish I was getting as much done as you are.

Hope everyone had a great Sunday!
4.gif
I am going to try to respond to a few posts then get some sleep.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the invite Skippy, but I think most of the girls who have signed up over here are intimidated and stuff by the WWT in Family. I know I am.

I think I''m going to forget about what I''m eating for the next week. At least not worry about it as much as I will afterwards. First of all, it''s my finals week, and second of all, PMS. So I''m going to need red meat and chocolate and those aren''t really on my eating plan. After Friday though...I''ll even be able to start a real exercising routine of some kind.

My goal for the rest of the week:
-drink at least 5 glasses of water a day. Hopefully more. I''m still struggling with drinking over 4.

Saturday though, I had green chile stew-and it was HOT. I couldn''t drink enough water. So I think I got at least 5 glasses of water yesterday.

Does anyone know how many ounces of water you''re supposed to drink a day instead of how many glasses? Because I''m doing 4, 16 ounce glasses...aka a half gallon. So if anyone knows, that would be awesome!

Harleigh

Ideal_Rock
Hi Everyone! It sounds like everyone had a busy weekend, and I am right there with you! Sorry I haven''t been on in awhile, but our weekends have been jam-packed lately! As many of you here have done, I fear I fell off the healthy wagon this weekend, too!

I have been doing very well during the week eating the Special K cereal and waffles or Protein meal bars. I have also done well limiting my snacks to the 90 calorie cereal bars or snack bites. For lunch I''ve been doing the Immunity Boost or Healthy Weight microwave vegetable steamer bags or the Michelina Light microwaveable meals along with one low sodium can of V8 juice. For dinner I''ve pretty much kept it to the meal bars or cereal, as well. I''ve been sucking down water like a fiish, and supplementing with hot green or white tea throughout the day. I also eat some roasted salted soynuts to help lunch feel a bit more filling.

I was doing great until I went to a going away party for my assistant principal at BJ''s after school on Friday. There I snacked on 3 appetizer size spring rolls, one mozzarella stick and 2 pieces of cheesy garlic bread.
14.gif
I of course washed that down with a raspberry lemon drop and a huge glass of water. For dinner that night I had 1/3 of a piece of salmon and about a 1/2 cup of Rice-a-Roni Red Beans and Rice amd drank about 5 more glasses of water, which just left me feeling extremely bloated!

Weekends are hard because my FI and I walk to the local coffee shop every day I''m there. I get a nonfat hot chocolate with whipped cream and eat half of a bacon, egg and provolone cheese breakfast bagel. Did I mention I LIVE for the weekends when we share these??? I cannot give them up, and after working my butt off all week, I''m not sure I want to try! We actually did try to give the breakfast bagel up one day on the weekends and I would get yogurt and fruit, and I was miserable! We may forego it occasionally if we get a late start, but hey, we walk almost a mile there and a mile back, so I figure it balances itself out somewhere along the way!

For lunch yesterday we had a mixture of browned lean ground beef, corn and black beans on whole wheat burrito shells w/taco seasoning. I used nonfat sour cream and light mexican cheese and it was delicious. I also made a little dip for strawberries with lime juice, lime rind, the nonfat sour cream and a little powdered sugar. It was yummy!!!

We went over to a neighbor''s Cinco de Mayo party and had some concoction that consisted of Grey Goose Vodka, sweet & sour, sprite, grenadine and a splash of lime. So...I forewent dinner and while we were out dancing last night, I proceeded to drink 3 more of these delicious little gems. I did have one bite of FI''s prime rib dinner, but I danced my tush off for almost 4 hours, so I figure that counts as a workout in and of itself! Drank lots of water when we got home and I proceeded to need the restroom about every 2 hours to drain my poor abused bladder!

Today we shared our breakfast bagel and I had my hot chocolate. For lunch I made tuna w/lowfat mayo, pickle relish and mustard. We had this on whole wheat toast and finished off the strawberries and lime dip. I had drank at least 4 large glasses of water by lunch and was feeling pretty good.

We spent much of the day running errands and bought a ton of plants to put in the front planter area, so I spent about 2 hours this evening digging in the hard-packed dirt and churning it up. I managed to plant 32 flowers and then pooped out. I usually come home from my FI''s by 5 or 6 on Sundays, but he convinced me to stay and watch a Food Network Challenge and have dinner with him. We made chicken pot stickers and a chicken rice side dish. I inhaled 6 of the pot stickers and about 3/4 cup of the rice. I drank at least 6 more glasses of water and now I am near ready to explode!

On the way home, I did sneak a little snack size Hershey''s bar, but I''ve only had water since I came home, and that will have to take me through Desperate Housewives tonight until bedtime!

Phew, that felt like a lot! I will be back on track with the Special K diet tomorrow! I am getting better at taking 4 of the frozen veggies or meals to work on Mondays and eating them throughout the week. I also take a bag of baby carrots on Monday and snack on them during the week.

This week my school has STAR Testing and then the following week is Teacher Appreciation Week and lunch will be served for us by the parents every day that week. Next weekend will also be hard as we have a retirement dinner to go to on Saturday night, then out with family on Sunday for Mother''s Day, and then our 2-year anniversary is on Monday, so I see a huge prime rib dinner in my future!!! I will strive to eat half and bring the rest home for leftovers!!!

Great job everyone on keeping up with your exercise and eating well! Keep up the good work!

Congratulations on your new job, OctoberBride!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I can''t keep up with this thread, it''s moving so fast!

Anyway--I wanted to ask a general question based on what I''ve been experiencing:

Does this happen to anyone else?
I find that I only lose weight during the periods when I take a 3 to 4 day break from working out.

Example: I did the Body for Life program with my sister this summer. It was 12 weeks of hardcore training and very healthy eating. I lost about four pounds during the ENTIRE program. Then I took a break when school started up again and lost SEVEN pounds in two weeks.

I started working out 4 to 6 days a week with a friend a few weeks ago. I didn''t lose any weight until this past week, when we took a break, during which I lost three pounds.

Now, I''m a certified personal trainer, FI is a muscle specialist, so I''m pretty sure that (biomechanically speaking) I''m working out very well. I don''t overtrain (because then I really don''t lose any weight and I certainly don''t gain any muscle).

I''m not complaining, it''s just odd. Perhaps my body only rebalances itself when I''m not training at all. I do think I''m lucky because I gain muscle really easily, yet I see the most gains in both muscle mass and weight loss during my break periods. Weird, right?

Anyway, my goals for the week: Eat healthy (NO COOKIES! This is the hardest for me, I have a student in my homeroom who brings homemade cookies every Monday and they''re delish). Work out at least four days (lift and do cardio each workout). And when I go to Chipotle (I''m not going to kid myself into thinking I can resist) I''m going to order a bol with rice, chicken, salsa, and lettuce only, which is actually quite amazing. I will miss the guac, though.

Courtneylub

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/4/2008 11:31:41 AM
Author: Courtneylub

Well, I did stick to a leafy salad for lunch yesterday and had about 1/3 bag of kettle corn for a snack. Dinner was one chicken fajita, a few chips and guacamole, and who knows how many rita''s I had. Our shower was a great time though!

Today we already went and had our greasy breakfast that we spurlge on every once in a while. 2 fried eggs, hashbrowns, toast, bacon, few bites of a waffle. Baaaaad. I will make it up by eating great for lunch and dinner. It''s also a beautiful day for a walk.
So much for eating a healthy lunch and dinner yesterday. I had 2 slices of thin crust tomato pizza, small chocolate yogurt from TCBY, and 2 popsicles. Can you tell I was a little dehydrated from the day before? I could''ve done a lot worse, so I won''t feel too guilty. I will look at Sunday as my cheat day.

Today:

Breakfast - Frosted mini wheats (not a full serving) and 1% milk

Plan on:

Snack - strawberries
Lunch - Tuna and crackers or salad
Dinner - Grilled chicken and veggies.

I don''t really feel like celebrating Cinco De Mayo since I had plenty of that on Saturday.

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/5/2008 12:12:52 AM
Author: FrekeChild

Does anyone know how many ounces of water you''re supposed to drink a day instead of how many glasses? Because I''m doing 4, 16 ounce glasses...aka a half gallon. So if anyone knows, that would be awesome!

Freke, you should be drinking half your body weight in ounces. E.g you weight 130 lbs, divided by two, that''s 65 lbs, into ounces, that''s 65 oz of water. That''s about 2 L or 1/2 gallon. 1 cup = 8 oz. So that''s where the 8 glasses of water a day comes from.

My weekend update:
Sat: went to yoga. Salad for lunch. Pasta for dinner. I know pretty bad.
Sun: didn''t do the gym, but I went 3x''s last week, so I gave myself a break. Salad for lunch & mexican for dinner. I had 4 margaritas @ a friends Cinco de Mayo party.

Goals for today: go to the gym! My knee''s still bugging me, so I think i''ll lay off on the cardio till Weds. Maybe do weights and/or pilates/yoga if I can make the class.
Breakfast was: 1/2 english muffin, 1/2 grapefruit, 1 hard boiled egg, yolks removed sub''ed with hummus, 12 oz of chai tea w/milk (british style)
Lunch will be: Veggie tortilla soup
Dinner not sure yet.

mia1181

Brilliant_Rock
Haven- I think I am similar to you. When I am working out a lot I never seem to lose any weight but then on my rest days I lose. Do you think it is because your body burns more calories when it is rebuilding muscle? Like, cardio burns calories only while your doing it but if you build muscles they burn calories all the time.

ringster

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/3/2008 11:58:21 AM
Author: ringster
yesterday - lunch

i had cup of rice and egg white omlette - i buy the carton of egg whites that they sell at TJs

yesterday - dinner

we went out and i had a pork stir fry that came with soup and rice. i didn't eat the rice since i already have some for lunch. the stir fry was huge but i thought it was ok since it was mostly veggies and it wasn't the greasy kind

i didn't do any exercise today at all
38.gif
. BUT i was much happier at my dress fitting yesterday! it was easier for my zip to go up! yay! my seamstress commented on it but she said don't lose any more weight! i told her don't worry, i love to eat too much but just trying to eat healthier.

my goal for today to exercise for at least 20min

so was v. busy this weekend with wedding details and had my hair and makeup trial - i was v. happy with my hair/makeup lady did :)

i was pretty good at eating healthy but went too long yesterday sunday without eating cause got sidetracked by some family drama that seems like it will work itself out. so by dinner, i was famished. i do find that breakfast and dinner are my main meals for the day.

i have been bad i did not exercise at all the last three days
7.gif
. so i have my gym clothes and will go to a pilates mat class after work. must go!

octoberbride - congratulations on your new job!!! woo hoo! isn't it such a great feeling!

everyone keep up the good work! every little bit helps!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
For all the carb lovers out there, how on earth do you avoid them? I''ve switched to whole wheat pasta, thinking that it''s at least a little healthier than the regular stuff, but I can''t forego it all together.

I can''t get myself to substitue veggies for pasta. It would never in a million years occur to me that you don''t HAVE to have pasta, rice, or potatoes with the main dish.

Any tips?

mia1181

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/5/2008 5:34:49 PM
Author: ZoeBartlett
For all the carb lovers out there, how on earth do you avoid them? I''ve switched to whole wheat pasta, thinking that it''s at least a little healthier than the regular stuff, but I can''t forego it all together.

I can''t get myself to substitue veggies for pasta. It would never in a million years occur to me that you don''t HAVE to have pasta, rice, or potatoes with the main dish.

Any tips?
ZoeBartlett- It sounds like you were raised the same way I was. In my house a meal always consisted of a Big portion of meat, an even bigger portion of carbs, and then a small portion of veggies!

Personally, I''m not a fan of cutting out carbs all together (although I know a lot of people who have lost a lot of weight on Atkins, they also all gained it back). I think you are doing great using whole wheat pasta and you can do brown rice also. I''ve also heard of mashing cauliflower as a substitute for mashed potatoes, haven''t tried it though.

mia1181

Brilliant_Rock
My weekend report-

Ate- Pretty good on portions, but not so good in my choices.

Exercise- 30 minute Ballet bar workout on Saturday, woke up sore on Sunday.
Run/Walk intervals for 2 miles... shouldn''t have though, since I was already sore from the previous day. Today every muscle in my body aches and yes! I have period cramps too! Can barely walk, let alone carry around two 30# toddlers!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/5/2008 5:52:21 PM
Author: mia1181

Any tips?
ZoeBartlett- It sounds like you were raised the same way I was. In my house a meal always consisted of a Big portion of meat, an even bigger portion of carbs, and then a small portion of veggies!

Personally, I''m not a fan of cutting out carbs all together (although I know a lot of people who have lost a lot of weight on Atkins, they also all gained it back). I think you are doing great using whole wheat pasta and you can do brown rice also. I''ve also heard of mashing cauliflower as a substitute for mashed potatoes, haven''t tried it though.
Hi Mia,

You guessed it! Carbs were KING at my house. My mom never really learned to cook (so neither have I), so we always had the basics -- spaghetti with meatballs (not using whole wheat pasta or ground turkey), white rice and chicken, baked potato and steak, etc. Plain, boring food. I like that stuff but I like a little more exciting things also, you know?

I did forget to mention earlier that my FI and I have switched to brown rice. I''ve heard of mashed up cauliflower as a substitute for mashed potatoes but I can''t see myself liking it. I want to add carbs to everything and it would be REALLY hard to trick myself into thinking I was eating something that I wasn''t.

Zoe

CrownJewel

Brilliant_Rock

Any tips?

Zoe,
I''m trying to get my FI to eat less bread. He''s Russian so a typical meal means a huge portion of potatoes, meat, and bread with butter. His mom says that it isn''t enough that the waitstaff at our wedding will bring out rolls to each guest as necessary. She wants a basket of bread on all tables, at all times. Haha!

Anyway, what''s working for us is to always have bread in the freezer. We fill the plate mostly with veggies, then add a little bit of pasta or rice or bread. I think the Zone diet does something similar with partitioning your plate - but for us, I do 1/2 of the plate is veggies (not just any veggies. they have to be tasty!), 1/4 is meat, 1/4 is bread or pasta or rice. We like whole wheat bread, but not whole wheat pasta. So we eat regular pasta.

Instead of having fresh bread ready to eat all the time, we take a little bit out of the freezer for each meal. He has cut out so much carbs and he''s totally fine with it!

CrownJewel

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Everyone!
I usually post in the Weekly Workout Thread on the Family & Home forum, but now I can go back and forth! I''m a huge fan of healthy eating and nutrition, but sometimes I have no sense of portion control. That is my problem. Oh and I also LOVE food...like eating out at nice restaurants, sushi sushi sushi, french food, cheese, etc. I don''t eat snacks or sweets but I love eating lots of everything else.

I only got to read some of your stories, but I would love to share any knowledge I may have and definitely all the support I can give!!! I really hope we can help each other reach our goals, a little bit at a time!

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
Hi everyone!
4.gif
I ate semi-good today.

What I ate: Breakfast = Corn flakes + Juicy Juice. Dinner = Rotisserie chicken (small portion) + a salad (small portion) + homemade mashed potatoes with buttermilk a bit of butter and cheese + bacon bits on top (that''s the bad part, but still small portion). Aside from the bad additions to the potatoes, I think I ate decently today just not quite enough.
What I did: The usual walking around, and I went and got groceries today all alone w/o FI. Woo!
How I feel: I feel decent. I have another final tomorrow and I really want to do well, so I am a bit worried but less stressed than usual so that''s a plus. Also, I weighed this morning and I gained 1 lb back from last weekend.
14.gif
38.gif
That made me feel bad about myself. Oh well. Sigh.

Goals for tomorrow 1. Eat breakfast and go to sleep soon (within next hr). 2. Do well on exam. 3. Come back and sleep. 4. Good dinner.

Hope everyone had a good Monday! Sorry I''ve been pretty absentee lately, so busy it seems.
39.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
About the 64 oz. of water per day...

That is all liquids, not just water. You can count anything you drink toward that: tea, juices, etc. I read that it was a myth that you are supposed to drink that much water. Other liquids count toward the total.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results