shape
carat
color
clarity

***Ruby Help Needed***

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
That is an interesting answer and arguably not a very friendly one. Whatever. I never said that 14k is the norm, I just said there is nothing fine (as in, top quality) below 10k per carat. Orangy red rubies from Mozambique certainly cost less than 10k per ct, but are not what I would call fine rubies.
This is my smallest ruby at 1.78 carats. It is from Madagascar. It did not cost 14k per carat. It has Lotus cert stating that it is vivid red. Why is it surprising I did not post? I would usually want to be private. I have not seen a lot of you post great examples of your claims either. I did say I was moving on, since there really can be no response for anyone who wishes to pay 14 k usd for a 1 carat fine ruby. WhatsApp Image 2022-10-11 at 11.11.26.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2022-10-11 at 10.58.03.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-10-24 at 17.25.10.jpeg

And ugly rubies can also be fluorescent.

WhatsApp Image 2022-10-24 at 17.06.41.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2022-10-24 at 17.07.05.jpeg

Interesting thread to read : https://www.naturesrainbows.com/pos...seen-one-not-fluoresce-what-about-rubies-from

I am now going to give this some rest. Spend what you deem fit.

Last edited:

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock
a single example of a high-quality ruby with fluorescence for under $14k/ct

I was about to say that there is one right here, in this thread, but I got the wrong thread. So here it is:
1.6ct, Burma, untreated, the entire ring is currently for sale for less than 16k. Lilith didn't buy it in the end, it's still available.

VividRed

Brilliant_Rock
Just to make things clear.

It is not that what I say is a fact (duh!), but I personally haven’t found a properly fine ruby for less than 10k per carat. Will all due respect, @ChaiK , I would not consider your ruby as “fine” according my personal taste. I think you paid a fair price, and all is fine. HOWEVER, today’s prices are through the roof and I just don’t think you can find a fine ruby below the 10k/ct. mark . Prove me wrong and you will do me a favor, I am absolutely not benefitting from high prices :)

VividRed

Brilliant_Rock
This is my smallest ruby at 1.78 carats. It is from Madagascar. It did not cost 14k per carat. It has Lotus cert stating that it is vivid red. Why is it surprising I did not post? I would usually want to be private. I have not seen a lot of you post great examples of your claims either. I did say I was moving on, since there really can be no response for anyone who wishes to pay 14 k usd for a 1 carat fine ruby. WhatsApp Image 2022-10-11 at 11.11.26.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2022-10-11 at 10.58.03.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-10-24 at 17.25.10.jpeg

And ugly rubies can also be fluorescent.

WhatsApp Image 2022-10-24 at 17.06.41.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2022-10-24 at 17.07.05.jpeg

Interesting thread to read : https://www.naturesrainbows.com/pos...seen-one-not-fluoresce-what-about-rubies-from

I am now going to give this some rest. Spend what you deem fit.

Also, I did not call you out, the topic was closed for me

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
Also, I did not call you out, the topic was closed for me

There, there, you will find that "fine" ruby soon, if you are looking for one.

I did not say you were calling me out. I was responding to @pokerface.

If it is not "fine" for you, that is ok. We have our opinions. The lab certs too.

VividRed

Brilliant_Rock

If it is not "fine" for you, that is ok. We have our opinions. The lab certs too.

Indeed. And I really do not mean to be confrontational or offensive with you (or anyone on this forum) :)

pokerface

Brilliant_Rock
You still have not provided a single example of high-quality ruby for sale for your claimed price point. Stating categorically that $14k is an unreasonable price without any proof to the contrary is at best unhelpful.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I was about to say that there is one right here, in this thread, but I got the wrong thread. So here it is:
1.6ct, Burma, untreated, the entire ring is currently for sale for less than 16k. Lilith didn't buy it in the end, it's still available.

ive been lurking on this thread out of curiosity. i am not a ruby hound, but this whole ring is TDF and i can't believe it is still on the market! if i were in the market, i'd be allll over this ring

VividRed

Brilliant_Rock
ive been lurking on this thread out of curiosity. i am not a ruby hound, but this whole ring is TDF and i can't believe it is still on the market! if i were in the market, i'd be allll over this ring

It is indeed very nice

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock
i can't believe it is still on the market!

I don’t have the money for it. If I did, I would’ve bought it the second I realised Lilith wasn’t interested in it.

Well, there’s always the possibility of winning the lottery, right? :D

pokerface

Brilliant_Rock
@Avondale, @Cerulean, @VividRed - I did a reverse image search for the ruby ring and found the vendor. I then looked through the vendor's IG, and I am confused. Is this not the same ring that has since been modified to accommodate a different ruby? Perhaps that would explain the price point.

2C684767-EF9A-41F3-8D80-5317E979B3D5.jpeg

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock
Okie dokie.

I can link it later when I’m at my pc. I have the page bookmarked, they have nice big pictures and it makes the differences very easy to spot. It is a gorgeous ring, been ogling it for months now.

Just to make things clear.

It is not that what I say is a fact (duh!), but I personally haven’t found a properly fine ruby for less than 10k per carat. Will all due respect, @ChaiK , I would not consider your ruby as “fine” according my personal taste. I think you paid a fair price, and all is fine. HOWEVER, today’s prices are through the roof and I just don’t think you can find a fine ruby below the 10k/ct. mark . Prove me wrong and you will do me a favor, I am absolutely not benefitting from high prices :)

I have super high standards for rubies as well, my friend. What others feel is top quality may not pass the bar for me. It's a curse, I tell ya!

JewelledEscalators

Brilliant_Rock
Jumping in here, but I think it's worth considering what hue/tone of red suits your wife. I tend to find that reds and pinks, irrespective of whether we are talking gemstones or clothes, can suit people differently, particularly in relation to skin tone, much more so than blues.

Also, if you are going for a pendant, and the stone is not so big (1 carat +), and you're going for a solitaire, no halo, I would probably avoid darker tones and go for something that is bright and pops in colour, as a stone that size without any halo worn on the neck would easily be something that gets drowned out. Unless she has very pale white skin.

Or perhaps she likes richer colours, or prefers more of a muted look. What kind of reds (if she wears reds) does she like in her clothes? Does she usually prefer richer colours or paler lighter colours or bright colours in her clothes in general?

Sometimes you can buy something really nice for someone but if it doesn't suit them or their tastes, it tends to live in storage, and for the money you are looking to spend, that would be a shame.

Last edited:

CBianco

Brilliant_Rock
I personally find rubies to be very overpriced compared to its beauty. A few weeks ago I stopped by a very high end brick&mortar store and ruby rings for $30K plus (but obviously have typical b&m markup) were underwhelming. I'm sure there are gorgeous ones out there like @VividRed's but I just can't justify the price tag for them:(2

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Excellent points by JeweledEscalators!

Obviously you know your wife best but make sure your expectations are in line with hers.

I would howl in horror and cry for days if my husband dropped $15k on a 1ct ruby, fine or otherwise. I'm extremely price sensitive and that would upset me greatly!

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Excellent points by JeweledEscalators!

Obviously you know your wife best but make sure your expectations are in line with hers.

I would howl in horror and cry for days if my husband dropped $15k on a 1ct ruby, fine or otherwise. I'm extremely price sensitive and that would upset me greatly!

Me too lol. Anyway at the kind of prices you folks are quoting, can someone pls get this absolute bargain of 4 ct PB from my jeweler:

Way way way less than $80k. Like way way less. And 4 carats. And pigeon blood.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Omg!!!!!! Can you get that too @icy_jade

It's so delicious looking and well cut!!!

I thought it was one of his look/see/return stones!!!!!!

Get it so you can halo it and use the traps on your other one in peace!

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Omg!!!!!! Can you get that too @icy_jade

It's so delicious looking and well cut!!!

I thought it was one of his look/see/return stones!!!!!!

Get it so you can halo it and use the traps on your other one in peace!

I cannot afford. Hence posting here… can someone pls get it lol

JewelledEscalators

Brilliant_Rock
Really interesting that @ChaiK did not post a single example of a high-quality ruby with fluorescence for under $14k/ct - or any example at all.

I don't think this necessarily means much. A lot of gem dealers have inventories or inventories of contacts that are not displayed on their websites. At some point in the future, I will be looking to buy a particular sought after stone in a particular colour, and of course, I will be looking at websites but I would also contact gem stone sellers/dealers so that if/when they come across a stone that fits my description, they can let me know. I'm sure a lot of people do that, and a lot of stones get sold that way without ever being first put up for sale on a public website.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Really interesting that @ChaiK did not post a single example of a high-quality ruby with fluorescence for under $14k/ct - or any example at all.

I don't think anyone is obligated to reveal their sources. How do you prove what is a "fine" ruby anyhow? It's very subjective.

This is a public forum and thus we are entitled to regale our opinions and experiences.

Any newbie searching through these threads can read and decide for themselves. Perhaps they want to go hunting for lower price points? Perhaps they are happy to pay $15k per carat for what they might deem to be an easy transaction. No one is stopping anyone from dropping $15k on a ruby if that's what they want to do.

What's important is that they can ponder different options.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Unpopular opinion: PS-ers who bought expensive stones (from expensive vendors) will always insist on high prices and superiority of said stones. While the more price sensitive PS-ers be like :roll2:

Seems to sum up the last few pages.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
You are closer to the source in Asia @icy_jade and @mellowyellowgirl , and for multiple reasons, you have the privilege of being able to enjoy a greater variety of colored stones for less money than in other regions. What a nice situation for a gem hound to find themselves in! We aren’t all so lucky and I doubt any of us are so naive that we PREFER to spend more money…

In an analogous scenario, why would I make snide remarks at someone in the UK for having to spend more on a diamond simply because the market in their locale demands it? (And diamonds are MUCH easier IMO to buy blind.) But even still, not everyone is willing or able to deal with international transactions. In fact, many on the colored stone forum advise against it for first or very significant purchases.

I hope @flea_sly finds a lovely ruby. I am also assuming you are in the USA. My impression of the ruby market is that “deals” are rarer than ever. My gut tells me that you shouldn’t hold out for a false promise.

You seemed to have had a great experience with Inken and had some really lovely options. At the end of the day, this is YOUR purchase, you have to feel comfortable with the vendor, the stone and the cost. I find Inken’s prices for sapphires in line with the market (which I’m more familiar with). Keep us posted!

@Cerulean I'm so envious of Asian market pricing and selection. It seems they often have pick of the litter, before top stones even make it here (at a huge premium). The silver lining is, we get to see all of their phenomenal buys here!

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
@Cerulean I'm so jealous of Asian market pricing and selection. It seems they often have pick of the litter, before top stones even make it here. The silver lining is, we get to see all of their phenomenal buys here!

I think there is more of an appreciation for top quality gems there too. Im generalizing but that’s my impression. Most people in the US want BIG!

*Sigh* I dream of going on a buying trip one of these days…PS ladies trip? :lol:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results