shape
carat
color
clarity

Search for Rubies

voce

Ideal_Rock
Lovely pictures of your jewelry!

First of all, since my opinion was asked, out of all the options shown, apart from the loose stones, I prefer the color of the $28,000 ring off of 1stDibs.

The $50,000 ring is gorgeous, but more for the OEC diamonds than for the ruby itself. I would not call that pigeon blood, but owing to the 1905 date, it should be a Mogok unheated Ruby. The ruby is a lovely color, but has a tinge more pink and a touch too much of silk for me to consider it an ideal specimen. I'm not sure if that's what you're going for when making that purchase... It's just that your blue sapphire and padparardscha sapphire are what I'd consider as ideal specimens.

To that extent, I would not take apart that antique ring. It's lovely and has a history. If you love it, great, I don't think you are being swindled. I'd appraise the ruby at $20k tops, and the rest of the cost must be diamonds.

If I compare the ruby to the ones from your MIL, I still prefer this one. The ones from your MIL are dripping with diamonds in exquisite settings, but the windows are apparent from a glance, and the pinkishness scream Mong Hsu, not Mogok origin. The ruby in the $50k ring looks to be closer to stoplight red even if more clouded.

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
Lovely pictures of your jewelry!

First of all, since my opinion was asked, out of all the options shown, apart from the loose stones, I prefer the color of the $28,000 ring off of 1stDibs.

The $50,000 ring is gorgeous, but more for the OEC diamonds than for the ruby itself. I would not call that pigeon blood, but owing to the 1905 date, it should be a Mogok unheated Ruby. The ruby is a lovely color, but has a tinge more pink and a touch too much of silk for me to consider it an ideal specimen. I'm not sure if that's what you're going for when making that purchase... It's just that your blue sapphire and padparardscha sapphire are what I'd consider as ideal specimens.

To that extent, I would not take apart that antique ring. It's lovely and has a history. If you love it, great, I don't think you are being swindled. I'd appraise the ruby at $20k tops, and the rest of the cost must be diamonds.

If I compare the ruby to the ones from your MIL, I still prefer this one. The ones from your MIL are dripping with diamonds in exquisite settings, but the windows are apparent from a glance, and the pinkishness scream Mong Hsu, not Mogok origin. The ruby in the $50k ring looks to be closer to stoplight red even if more clouded.

Ohhh thank you for your very detailed analysis of the rubies-- so you would still rank the $50K ruby above the one that my MIL gifted me? And then the 28K ruby ring above the 50K ring?

cloud_less

Shiny_Rock
Came to admire OP's beautiful collection! Dreams!!!

I can't speak about rubies but I have to say I love the $46k ring as a whole (from an antique lover's pov).
OP, not sure if you are aware of this but 1stdibs charges vendors 15% commission. The vendor of the $46k ring is Berganza, London. The ring is listed on their website for $41k. But I do remember several discussions on the vintage/antique forum that Berganza is a bit overpriced.

Based on what others analyzed above the ruby might be worth $20k, then add $10k for the setting. This brings the whole ring to $30k, leaving the vendor a 30% margin at least. I've never purchased from Berganza but most antique dealers are open to negotiations so it might be worth a try if you are interested?

Last edited:

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
Came to admire OP's beautiful collection! Dreams!!!

I can't speak about rubies but I have to say I love the $46k ring as a whole (from an antique lover's pov).
OP, not sure if you are aware of this but 1stdibs charges vendors 15% commission. The vendor of the $46k ring is Berganza, London. The ring is listed on their website for $41k. But I do remember several discussions on the vintage/antique forum that Berganza is a bit overpriced.

Based on what others analyzed above the ruby might be worth $20k, then add $10k for the setting. This brings the whole ring to $30k, leaving the vendor a 30% margin at least. I've never purchased from Berganza but most antique dealers are open to negotiations so it might be worth a try if you are interested?

Ahhh I see I see, got it. Okay, I'll think a bit more about my options! I've also asked my main gemstone person to take a look for me, will also wait to hear back from him :D

voce

Ideal_Rock
Ohhh thank you for your very detailed analysis of the rubies-- so you would still rank the $50K ruby above the one that my MIL gifted me? And then the 28K ruby ring above the 50K ring?

Correct. That's based on the pictures I've seen. If we're talking only about the ruby the 28k one looks best in the vendors pictures. There's no guarantee the vendor pictures are accurately depicting what it would look like on your hand, though.

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
Correct. That's based on the pictures I've seen. If we're talking only about the ruby the 28k one looks best in the vendors pictures. There's no guarantee the vendor pictures are accurately depicting what it would look like on your hand, though.

Got it, thank you!! I'm also working with my main Asia-based vendor-- if I'm going the custom route, I'd also prefer a pear-shaped ruby since I'm thinking of going for a Toi et Moi ring this time :D

voce

Ideal_Rock
Got it, thank you!! I'm also working with my main Asia-based vendor-- if I'm going the custom route, I'd also prefer a pear-shaped ruby since I'm thinking of going for a Toi et Moi ring this time :D

Have you decided whether you want a red red ruby or a pinkish ruby? Good luck on finding a good pear ruby!

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
Have you decided whether you want a red red ruby or a pinkish ruby? Good luck on finding a good pear ruby!

Red ruby! Thank you-- if you see any promising candidates, feel free to post here too :D

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
Another ruby option-- these earrings? (I just got my ears pierced so yay I can wear earrings now too!):

Also considering this ring: https://rauantiques.com/products/bu...-1-66-carats?hasVideo=&variant=39646649057415

And this one:

voce

Ideal_Rock
Another ruby option-- these earrings? (I just got my ears pierced so yay I can wear earrings now too!):

Also considering this ring: https://rauantiques.com/products/bu...-1-66-carats?hasVideo=&variant=39646649057415

And this one:

The earrings are beautiful but are pricey. They are probably the closest to pigeon blood color.

The one from Rau antiques also seems rather pricey and it's hard to tell the color but easy to see it's better than eye clean. It's rare to see untreated Burmese ruby without that silk, but I wonder if it will be lacking a bit in the vaunted fluorescence that the best Burmese rubies are known for.

The 1.53 seems like a really good deal, but looks pink red and not that red red or pigeon blood you seemed to be looking for. I love the ruby itself but don't really care for that setting.

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
The earrings are beautiful but are pricey. They are probably the closest to pigeon blood color.

The one from Rau antiques also seems rather pricey and it's hard to tell the color but easy to see it's better than eye clean. It's rare to see untreated Burmese ruby without that silk, but I wonder if it will be lacking a bit in the vaunted fluorescence that the best Burmese rubies are known for.

The 1.53 seems like a really good deal, but looks pink red and not that red red or pigeon blood you seemed to be looking for. I love the ruby itself but don't really care for that setting.

Ahhhh I see. My emerald vendor also showed me this ring for USD70K- what do you think?

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
mmexport1656984798647.jpg
mmexport1656984803180.jpg

cert it comes with

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock

Also after your comment, seriously contemplating the earrings lol. Pricey but idk, they seem worth it? And I just got my ears pierced too XD

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's easy to say that a $1,000 ruby is not worth a second look or that a $10,000 ruby is not a good value -- but at $30K, $50K, and now $70K, the intangibles that do not come across in a photo or video and the faithfulness of the photo or video to reality make it impossible for any of us to say much more than, "Ooh, pretty!"

And although we can all agree that color is paramount, what part of color matters most to you? Blinding red in full sun (maybe some barely-there silk + wild fluorescence) or "never goes black," or a pure, pure red that is not the Burma pinkish-red of classic Mogok color and that seems to earn the "pigeon blood" designation.

It's like which is the better car (exhilarating and high maintenance vs. boring and reliable) or potential mate (same criteria :cool2:). Only half-kidding; I am of course the latter.

I agree about not over-paying for -- or investing too heavily in -- the halo/mounting if buying your ruby already mounted in a vintage piece.

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
Received a outdoor, rainy day picture of the earrings!!

1657050641515.png

How would you guys describe the red in non-studio lighting settings?

voce

Ideal_Rock
Ahhhh I see. My emerald vendor also showed me this ring for USD70K- what do you think?

I wonder if the brightness and colors have been turned up. Somehow it looks to have a touch of orange and so does not look pigeon blood in color. It also has a window. I like it, but not enough to pay 70k.

voce

Ideal_Rock

1657050641515.png

The color looks pretty good to me. Try to get more pictures in a variety of light settings! There should be ones that look better than this and ones that might look worse.

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
The color looks pretty good to me. Try to get more pictures in a variety of light settings! There should be ones that look better than this and ones that might look worse.

Thank you!! I'm leaning a bit towards this pair of earrings-- yes they're pricey, but the color, even in overcast lighting settings, seems good to my eyes.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Not a lot of light return, imo. And considering that they will be hanging vertically with even less direct lighting...

VividRed

Brilliant_Rock

1657050641515.png

I would ask for many more pictures. There’s a lot of depth to the color, but not a lot of life. From this picture (and the ones on the website), I would not pay 45k.

Also, the resolution of the image needs to be on a different level altogether, it’s hard to see anything on this one

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
Seller sent two more videos of the earrings; I took some screeshots since I can't figure out how to download the videos:

1657162242890.png

1657162259949.png
1657162275493.png
Under UV light:

1657162311478.png
1657162328220.png
1657162343300.png 1657162356804.png

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
Am tempted to pull the trigger on this one, but also curious what everyone thinks of the color/saturation/clarity? The price seems almost too good to be true if the irl color is that nice lol

JewelledEscalators

Brilliant_Rock
I love the 1.7 carats ring. I've had my eye on it for a while though I'd never be able to afford it. Just love that cluster design.

voce

Ideal_Rock
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results