shape
carat
color
clarity

Royal Jewels

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I know we have some international posters here, so I'll start at the beginning...

There is a tradition here in Texas for "Mums." In the fall, there is a special football game at high schools called "Homecoming" where people who attended the school in the past come back for a visit. During Homecoming girls get "Mums." These things are huge. Silk mums that measure a foot/ 30 cm across that have tons of streamers and decorations on them.

At the beginning of my teaching career 26 years ago, we would pin these on our shirts and utilize the bra strap. Based on my experience with Mums, I could see it as entirely feasible that some of these brooches are supported by a bra strap.

Now days the Mums are even bigger. Usually they just hang around a girl's neck on a cord now because the bra strap no longer gets the job done!!
Us international posters need pictures !

Yelena

Shiny_Rock
I know we have some international posters here, so I'll start at the beginning...

There is a tradition here in Texas for "Mums." In the fall, there is a special football game at high schools called "Homecoming" where people who attended the school in the past come back for a visit. During Homecoming girls get "Mums." These things are huge. Silk mums that measure a foot/ 30 cm across that have tons of streamers and decorations on them.

At the beginning of my teaching career 26 years ago, we would pin these on our shirts and utilize the bra strap. Based on my experience with Mums, I could see it as entirely feasible that some of these brooches are supported by a bra strap.

Now days the Mums are even bigger. Usually they just hang around a girl's neck on a cord now because the bra strap no longer gets the job done!!

Lady Maria, thanks for sharing your experiences with similar things and increasing my knowledge about Texas.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
At the confirmation of Prince Sverre Magnus

prince-sverre-3.jpg royal-family-of-norway-5.jpg royal-family-of-norway-6.jpg royal-family-of-norway-10.jpg the confirmation of Prince Sverre Magnus.jpg

@Rad_Fan,

These photos are wonderful, truly evocative. Thank you so much for posting them. If I have time, I will try to look up the origins of the jewelry being worn by Queen Sonja; Crown Princess Mette-Marit and Princess Ingrid Alexandra.

Deb/AGBF

Last edited:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Being Queen Max, I appreciate her piece is likely to be real, however, it screams costume jewellery to me personally!

DK :))

I agree. The gold and diamonds might have been real, but those pearls do not look real. I also do not like them.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Being Queen Max, I appreciate her piece is likely to be real, however, it screams costume jewellery to me personally!

DK :))

If she had received that as a gift, there would have been a lot of brouhaha about who designed it and who constructed it, as it is huge. It looks like costume jewelry me. Her earrings match it. I wonder if they are also costume jewelry. She wears a lot of colorful jewelry that looks like plastic; I am sure it is a high-tech blend of chemicals or glass, not simple plastic, but she does not wear only precious metals!

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
If she had received that as a gift, there would have been a lot of brouhaha about who designed it and who constructed it, as it is huge. It looks like costume jewelry me. Her earrings match it. I wonder if they are also costume jewelry. She wears a lot of colorful jewelry that looks like plastic; I am sure it is a high-tech blend of chemicals or glass, not simple plastic, but she does not wear only precious metals!

Some of her colourful jewels do look like plastic, but they come from known designers, like Natan. Others are just colourful enough to match her personality and soul.
This one is rather pretty, but looks like some pieces I've seen at H&M.

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
I agree. The gold and diamonds might have been real, but those pearls do not look real. I also do not like them.

Gold plated at best fir both the earrings and brooch.
The style reminds me of the button earrings that were fashionable in the 80's and 90's.
Diana used to wear them and more recently Catherine has. She has at least one pair by Oscar de la Renta that is gold-plated ovals and fake pearls.

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
@Rad_Fan,

These photos are wonderful, truly evocative. Thank you so much for posting them. If I have time, I will try to look up the origins of the jewelry being worn by Queen Sonja; Crown Princess Mette-Marit and Princess Ingrid Alexandra.

Deb/AGBF

They might be family pieces, but as old as the historic jewels of the Royal family. Bunads from different parts of Norway are worn with different jewels that have different symbolism. Queen Sonja is a firm fan of bunads and can be seen wearing one often at official events, so some of the jewels might originate with her or come from her family.

I've found the following on a website called Daughters of Norway:
"Silver was magical in Norway, of superstition and legend. The mines were thought to belong to the mountain trolls who were the very best silversmiths. Silver was used to protect against storms, heal sickness, consecrate water and more. A small silver brooch was pinned on a baby's clothing so the trolls couldn't make a swap with a troll baby. Silver pieces handed down from previous generations were especially valued because of their ancestral and spiritual connections."

You can read the rest of the article, including the different types of jewellery worn here -

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gold plated at best fir both the earrings and brooch.
The style reminds me of the button earrings that were fashionable in the 80's and 90's.
Diana used to wear them and more recently Catherine has. She has at least one pair by Oscar de la Renta that is gold-plated ovals and fake pearls.

Its kinda fun when they mix it up with real and faux - i personally would love to see that big brooch worn in the hair somehow - just for fun
I mean sometimes jewlery sbould just be about fun

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock
Its kinda fun when they mix it up with real and faux - i personally would love to see that big brooch worn in the hair somehow - just for fun
I mean sometimes jewlery sbould just be about fun

Agreed,

This was posted by Atelier Torbjörn Tillander, jeweler from Helsinki.

90513096_117368709884372_507433003618329339_n.jpg

ps. That is a yummy Paraiba necklace. :kiss2:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Agreed,

Oh wow :kiss2: :appl: :kiss2: i was looking at the hair which i just love then i saw the necklase :kiss2::appl::kiss2:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Agreed,

This is the first time i remember seeing a necklase worn like this but now im wondering if the flappers did in the 20s ?

Attachments

• cf504ce8cf12ec0326c2f1f626003d25.jpg
    cf504ce8cf12ec0326c2f1f626003d25.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 23

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
At the confirmation of Prince Sverre Magnus

prince-sverre-3.jpg royal-family-of-norway-5.jpg royal-family-of-norway-6.jpg royal-family-of-norway-10.jpg the confirmation of Prince Sverre Magnus.jpg

Are we sure this is Sverre Magnus' confirmation? I thought that happened at age 15? He's not 15 yet?

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock
Opening the new Wikifin Lab

mathilde-in-natan-blue-shirt-dress-3.jpg opening of the new Wikifin Lab.jpg

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock
Visiting ZorgMies

queen-maxima-wore-antik-batik-dress-7.jpg ZorgMies in Zwijndrecht, Hendrik-Ido-Ambacht and Ridderkerk.jpg

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
Us international posters need pictures !

Here you go!

This is mine from 15 years ago. Today they are at least 3 times this big (usually with a cluster of 3 mums a the top). The more streamers and ribbons the better!
mum.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results