shape
carat
color
clarity

Royal Jewels

SparklieBug

Brilliant_Rock
It must be so tiresome to always look "pleasant", and "happy" to be wherever they are. And to have to smile endlessly. I would be a pitiful example of a royal—a royal curmudgeon in fact, although I'd likely enjoy a tiara and baubles to twinkle about in. :D

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
It must be so tiresome to always look "pleasant", and "happy" to be wherever they are. And to have to smile endlessly. I would be a pitiful example of a royal—a royal curmudgeon in fact, although I'd likely enjoy a tiara and baubles to twinkle about in. :D

i wouldnt like the shoes and clothes and coats
but give me the brooches :kiss2:

RMOO

Brilliant_Rock

To me this tiara looks like it was cobbled together from other items? Or was scavenged for gemstones and then patched with a hair comb/pin?

Does anyone know the history of this one, by chance?

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
To me this tiara looks like it was cobbled together from other items? Or was scavenged for gemstones and then patched with a hair comb/pin?

have a look at the court jewler today
the buttons are very old and historic
i didnt like it for a long time but the more i see it the more i like it
i think it looks better with the diamonds over the valvet band

The tiara, which features six diamond rosettes set atop a double row of diamonds, was constructed in the 1970s for Princess Lilian’s use. But the rosettes themselves have a much longer history: the buttons once belonged to Queen Lovisa Ulrika (wife of an 18th-century Swedish monarch, King Adolf Frederik), and they were later affixed to King Carl XIV Johan’s coronation crown in 1818. The family calls the jewel the “Carl Johan Tiara” for this reason. An extra row of diamonds was added to the velvet base of the tiara for this outing.

1670791449898.png

1670791353568.png

Princess Lillian

RMOO

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with you @Daisys and Diamonds regarding the diamonds covering the velvet headband. But that bar setting (almost looks channel set) in the middle looks off to me. I would prefer to have those diamonds prong set so that you see the round shape of them like you do with the other two rows.

That said, I truly admire the skill of the royal jewelers to be able to make all these changes!

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock

You're right, of course. The tiara was created from loose jewels in the Bernadotte collection in the early 1980's for the King's late aunt, Princess Lilian. She had married his uncle Bertil on 7th December 1976, just days before her and Queen Silvia's first Nobel Prize appearance. You should Google the couple, it's a great royal love story!
The six buttons are old family heirlooms and their origin can be traced to at least King Karl XIV Johan, the first Bernadotte King of Sweden. They were attached to the Crown of Erik XIV (late 18th c.), used for the coronation in 1818, and remained there for a few generations before they were permanently removed at some point (the finer details escape me, sorry).

Back to Princess Lilian - in the late 1970's there weren't a lot of jewels that were not reserved for the Queen/first lady of the land. That's why the court jeweller was commissioned to create the new tiara using the buttons and unused diamond collets. A simpler tiara with 4 buttons resting on a simple metal frame had been created in the 1960's for use by the current King's four sisters. The buttons are not identical - the 4 in the centre are of the same design, but the lateral ones are different, less ornate clusters.
So began a love story between Princess Lilian and the Carl Johan Diadem (the official name given by the Royal Court). Note that since 2011 an additional diamond row has been added to the base of the tiara from time to time.

The tiara in the making + the brooch and hairpin used by Victoria last night.
77888d1cab140817cafc3ba422514812.png

The finished tiara
2c9e7a391ab4a7721c43f52670ad16ca.jpg

d9ce7f16db3c21dfa4cb4a9d89b137ad.jpg

Princess Lilian used one of the spare buttons as pendant at the 2005 Nobel Prize ceremony
LILIAN-obit-articleLarge.jpg

Kink Oscar II, the last King of Sweden (and Norway) to be crowned
2022-0511-02-bernadotte05.jpg

Last edited:

SparklieBug

Brilliant_Rock
The history of the gems is wonderful to know, however, the tiara, to my eye, looks like bug antennae poking up in the air. :lol: Gloriously sparklie, but antennae, none the less.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
The first picture looks like a bell rang and an angel got her wings (a reference to the movie It's a Wonerful Life)

i think back in its day it was worn with a feather
Aigrette: a type of hair ornament worn centrally above the forehead that is designed to support a plume of feathers, or itself depicting a gem-set feather motif. The word is derived from the egret, the feathers of which were often used with these pieces.
Princess Astrid has confirmed she can pick up the BBC with that thing
a modan aigrette on the Princess of Monaco
1670955671693.png
the more i google the more i love them

1670955767319.png 1670955786809.png 1670955914394.png 1670955957492.png
now imangine this worn lower, on short sleek dark hair bacn in the roaring 20s

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aigrette: a type of hair ornament worn centrally above the forehead that is designed to support a plume of feathers, or itself depicting a gem-set feather motif. The word is derived from the egret, the feathers of which were often used with these pieces.
1670955671693.png

Ooo, I could have a simple one made without costing a fortune like a tiara, and it will be less pretentious to wear one than a tiara!

DK :lol-2:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ooo, I could have a simple one made without costing a fortune like a tiara, and it will be less pretentious to wear one than a tiara!

DK :lol-2:

well you know there is a certain event coming up in May next year .....
i have a faux pearl choker i have been known to wear as a bandau (Its open at the back and on quite flexable wire)
if i have a full time job and Gary's health is ok im serously thinking about having a copy made with real pearls on silver wire

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
But Anne wears a brooch
1670984298075.png

Express. Home of the Daily and Sunday Express. logo_christmas

Discount codes Puzzles Horoscopes Express Rated Shop Paper
Login Register

1°C
Find us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Find us on Instagram

'She is truly a Queen!' Princess Anne is a vision in red jacket and rarely seen brooch​

Princess Anne is one of the busiest members of the Royal Family and, despite being 72, often carries out multiple engagements a week. Earlier this week, the Princess Royal attended a ceremony held by City and Guilds, who offer qualifications to those wanting to pursue a technical occupation.​

By Mared Gruffydd
08:24, Fri, Dec 9, 2022 | UPDATED: 08:56, Fri, Dec 9, 2022

Princess Anne

As City and Guilds’ president, Princess Anne presented 46 UK organisations with their Princess Royal Training Awards during a special ceremony at Banqueting House, London, on Tuesday, December 6. The awards recognised the organisations’ outstanding commitment to workplace training and development.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
meanwhile in Monaco we are allergic to jewlery except for tenny tiny diamond studs
1670984630638.png
i think HSH cold have worn her Bäumer Aigrette
The piece features eleven long, thin stems of diamonds set in white gold with a larger pear-shaped diamond at each tip, forming that characteristic spray that cascades across the wearer’s hair.

Some have called this piece the “diamond foam” tiara because of its resemblance to the spray of water droplets that accompany cresting waves.

just the right amount of sparkle if you are going to lave your brooch at home
(does HSH even own a brooch) :(2
1670984745458.png

SparklieBug

Brilliant_Rock
1670955671693.png

To me, the last photo still looks like a bug got caught in her hair... :D

I love the history of the aigrette, and the look of the ones that gracefully hug the side of the head. Beautiful!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
To me, the last photo still looks like a bug got caught in her hair... :D

I love the history of the aigrette, and the look of the ones that gracefully hug the side of the head. Beautiful!

i think what we need is a dress up session
i love the swinging '20s with the flapper girls (despite being a more Bowes-Lyon shape) those long ropes of pearls amke me swoon
im a bandau kinda girl but i want to try out an aigrette
im always bringing home feathers for fluffy to play with

1670996661936.png

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results