shape
carat
color
clarity

Royal Jewels

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
i must a agree that while Kate looks stunning in that evening gown it needs more of something...i think that putting her hair up would show off the earrings and give the whole thing a more polished look. i would like to see her wear more necklaces.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
The Duchess of Cambridge wearing Tiffany DBY bracelet in Canada.

DoC.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kate's jewelry is really boring/simple, and not the caliber of jewelry I think of when I think "royal jewels." I know we're supposed to show it off here because it's her jewelry and she's royalty now, but honestly, I think I can find some of her same jewelry at my average department store. It's nothing to shout out about, unless when she's wearing something the Queen loaned her, like the Maple Leaf brooch for instance. Perhaps one day that will change when she is older and a bit more settled in "the Firm," but for now, I rather look at her clothes and shoes than her jewels.

She's very young, and perhaps, like most young women, she has simple taste in jewelry, and doesn't like anything very blingy, which is fine. However it's so boring to look at , for me anyways. I laughed when someone posted her citrine earring drops. It's funny to see that here when you normally see huge diamond earrings.

Liz Taylor (RIP) would be snoring by now.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Agree w/you, TL. I'm itching for her to really jazz it up, but we'll probably have to wait 10 yrs. She may have been hanging w/William for years but naturally hasn't been exposed to real royal customs, like getting all snazzy for state & other fancy occasions. I hope she grows into it -- this "simple" lifestyle is fine if you're married to a country squire, but who wants the RF to be just like us? I can look at my next door neighbor for the same thrill as that! :) Reverse snobbery isn't any more palatable than the regular sort.

--- Laurie

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well JF, in the meantime, we still have her clothes to look at! :bigsmile:

William isn't big on jewelry either, he doesn't even want to wear a wedding ring, so I don't see her changing that much, but we can always HOPE!! :appl:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JewelFreak|1310678994|2969092 said:
Reverse snobbery isn't any more palatable than the regular sort.

Just because Catherine has not "grown into" wearing the matronly brooches that the Queen and the Duchess of Cornwall do does not mean that she is refusing to wear them beacuse she is asserting her place among the common people! I think it is a bit harsh to accuse her of, "reverse snobbery". I think she is more likely guilty of having a young woman's taste, rather than being an old fuddy duddy. Let's face it, only someone who has been around the block can carry off some of those heavy brooches worn so easily by the DOC!!!

Deb/AGBF
:read:

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
DearBuddha|1310565104|2967987 said:
I'm sort of surprised no one has posted the pics of Kate at the BAFTA dinner in L.A. The earrings are said to be loaned to Kate from the Queen. I don't know about the bracelet. Does anyone recognize it?

Thanks for posting this, DearBuddha! I had totally forgotten about the BAFTA gala dinner. Yes, the TV commentator said that the earrings were a loan from HM for the event and that the bracelet is from HRH's private collection. I, however, don't believe this, as there hasn't been anything released either from BP or Clarence House, in contrast to the press release about the Maple leaf brooch. How does he know this? Furthermore, ther aren't any photos of anybody else wearing them. Another thing that came to my mind is thay might be part of the Greville inheritence, but in the same time the setting of the stones looks too modern. I guess it's safe to assume that the TV commentator got things wrong, and that we're actually looking at some wedding presents ;-)

BTW, I also think that wearing her hair up would've improved the overall appearance. A diamond brooch would've been a nice touch, too.

Here's a the clearest photo of the earrings I've been able to find:
catherinededetaill.jpg

And a detail of the bracelet (and the shiny purse) - there might be some yellow diamonds in it:
catherinedbdetail.jpg

Bobby

Lady Emerald

Rough_Rock
TL|1310675067|2969048 said:
Kate's jewelry is really boring/simple, and not the caliber of jewelry I think of when I think "royal jewels." I know we're supposed to show it off here because it's her jewelry and she's royalty now, but honestly, I think I can find some of her same jewelry at my average department store. It's nothing to shout out about, unless when she's wearing something the Queen loaned her, like the Maple Leaf brooch for instance. Perhaps one day that will change when she is older and a bit more settled in "the Firm," but for now, I rather look at her clothes and shoes than her jewels.

She's very young, and perhaps, like most young women, she has simple taste in jewelry, and doesn't like anything very blingy, which is fine. However it's so boring to look at , for me anyways. I laughed when someone posted her citrine earring drops. It's funny to see that here when you normally see huge diamond earrings.

I'm going to stick my neck out here so please don't cut it off.

I think her jewels AND clothes are BORING. I know she is young woman and has not come into her own but she dresses like a little girl. Most of the Canada clothes would have been better on a teenager. The navy suit at the very beginning, the lace dress and the green dress were age appropriate but the rest seemed just too young and too short. The evening gown was nice but not anything special. Oh and the red coat dress was great.

Having said that I think we may be in for a pleasant suprize when she is in her thirties and a little more sophisticated. She is a beautiful woman and when she figures it all out she will be stunning!

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock

Well, I don't think The Duchess' jewels are boring. She has some nice pieces and wears them rather well, IMO. Unlike The Queen, she does change her earrings and necklaces, also dons a bracelet every now and then. Just because she now a Windsor doesn't mean that HRH should wear a brooch or two at all events she attends. Remeber that her mother-in-law also didn't favour these and wore them very, very rarely. These days even The Duchess of Cornwall rarely wears a brooch, instead she sticks to her traditional pearl and diamond jewels.
That said, I also hope that one day The Duchess will start wearing more jewels on a daily basis, and I certainly hope to see her in pearls (something I miss on almost all (Crown) Princesses).

And whie I'm still writing about Catherine, here a very nice close-up of the sapphire earrings. Before I saw it, I thought that a small diamond stud was getting in her ear and from it a sapphire/diamond cluster was hangnig. Apparently I was wrong :razz:
sapphireearrings_closeup1.jpg

Bobby

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Nice picture of Kate's BAFTA jewels, Bobby. Both earrings & bracelet are beautiful. Thanks.

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Just last night I saw this rear view of Queen Margrethe II at her niece Nathalie's wedding last month. I didn't know that HM had worn two of her sapphire brooches as hair pins. Ahh.. the always so creative Daisy :)
daisyback.sapphires_0.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
I found this photo quite by chance, while searching for something else. Is it really a second - all diamond - version of the Oriental Circlet, or something has happened to the photo - either photoshop or retouching?
PS: I remeber seeing another photo of QEQM at the same event and in it the Circlet did have red stones... Will have to search for it.
qmorientalcirclet_diamonds.jpg

Bobby

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lady Emerald|1310686571|2969207 said:

I think her jewels AND clothes are BORING. I know she is young woman and has not come into her own but she dresses like a little girl. Most of the Canada clothes would have been better on a teenager. The navy suit at the very beginning, the lace dress and the green dress were age appropriate but the rest seemed just too young and too short. The evening gown was nice but not anything special. Oh and the red coat dress was great.

Having said that I think we may be in for a pleasant suprize when she is in her thirties and a little more sophisticated. She is a beautiful woman and when she figures it all out she will be stunning!

I won't cut your head off Lady Emerald. We are all entitled to our opinions. :))

I do remember Diana, as a young woman, even younger than Kate, wearing lots of jewels from the onset, and doing fabulously interesting things with them (remember the emerald choker headband?). Kate likes to keep things more simple and safe, which is totally fine. I get that, and it's working for her. I just laugh when I see her citrine drop earrings posted in a thread with giant diamonds, rubies, sapphires and the whole nine yards. I think we've all seen citrine drop earrings before as they're sold everywhere it seems. However, I understand why they're posted here, as in a way, they are jewels that belong to a royal, however mediocre they are.

I have never seen Kate, when she was dating William, with a single magnificent gem or expensive piece of jewelry, so she may also have some ambivalence to wearing them, as it can be quite intimidating. There are other people at the opposite side of the spectrum like Liz Taylor, that can wear a 50 carat diamond ring to a baseball game. :lol:

Bobby,
Thanks for the detail on Kate's diamond bracelet, now that's more like it!! :love:

The earrings are gorgeous too, but I agree, they would have truly shown off their splendor if she wore her hair up.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Lady Emerald|1310686571|2969207 said:

No, I agree with you about her dresses. I said I thought they were too short in another thread and someone almost bit my head off and said should they be around her ankles. Yeah, that's what I meant. They should be around her ankles. :rolleyes:

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
prince.of.preslav|1310688711|2969232 said:
Is it really a second - all diamond - version of the Oriental Circlet, or something has happened to the photo - either photoshop or retouching?
PS: I remeber seeing another photo of QEQM at the same event and in it the Circlet did have red stones... Will have to search for it.
Bobby
The Oriental Circlet tiara originally had opals & QV replaced them with rubies, as you know, Bobby. Maybe QEQM had diamonds in it briefly -- though I can't find any other pics of it w/out the rubies. Can't see why it would've been photoshopped but it's a possibility. I like it both ways, anyhow.

--- Laurie

Scotsgirl

Rough_Rock
Perhaps we are sad that Kate is not showcasing royal jewels in sufficient quantity? Her clothes are meeting with general approval in UK. Please can someone enlighten me on the earrings that Kate wore with the lilac Sarah Burton dress?

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
I am in the hospital battling kidney stones. I am on great medications right now :wacko: , so I'll apologize in advance if my post seems a little loopy. And don't worry if I'm not posting a lot these next few days. Only reason I'm posting now is DH brought in the laptop.

As far as Catherine's dresses go, I love her style!! She is simple, classy, and elegant. It is such a refreshing change from trampy trash like the Kardashian brood or Brittney Spears. I get quite irritated when I read articles that say the Duchess of Cambridge isn't dressing hip or young enough. I would much rather my little princess take Catherine as a role model for style than Lindsey Lohan or Rhianna.

As for the jewels, I think this is something she is going to grow into. William is the second in line, so there's not really going to be a a lot of tiara events for her anyway. Camilla is wearing the big stuff right now, and will get even bigger stuff when Charles becomes King. Catherine wore more jewelry for her wedding (tiara and earrings) than HSH Princess Charlene did (no earrings and a jeweled ornament you could hardly see since it was on the back of her head and half buried in her hair).

QueenShelly

Shiny_Rock
Catherine will come to her own. She is just getting started. She is 29 not 80 and Catherine
Comes from a new generation.
I agree Catherine is not trying to prove who she is by wearing big pieces, like Camilla.
Catherine is secure and knows what she's doing with the help of William. Her skirt might
be a little short but she is covered and this is 2011. Catherine has modesty which a lot
of girls now days don't have. William and Catherine have been together for nine years and probably
talked about all of this. Maybe Catherine feels that since she is not of higher ranking she has
to work up to the finer jewels.
We have different generations here so it's a learning process :geek:

Scotsgirl

Rough_Rock
Agree, Shelly, Kate has plenty of time to wear big jewels. At a State occasion. There are not too many of them going on right now----

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LadyMaria|1310737552|2969580 said:
I am in the hospital battling kidney stones. I am on great medications right now :wacko: , so I'll apologize in advance if my post seems a little loopy. And don't worry if I'm not posting a lot these next few days. Only reason I'm posting now is DH brought in the laptop.

As far as Catherine's dresses go, I love her style!! She is simple, classy, and elegant. It is such a refreshing change from trampy trash like the Kardashian brood or Brittney Spears. I get quite irritated when I read articles that say the Duchess of Cambridge isn't dressing hip or young enough. I would much rather my little princess take Catherine as a role model for style than Lindsey Lohan or Rhianna.

As for the jewels, I think this is something she is going to grow into. William is the second in line, so there's not really going to be a a lot of tiara events for her anyway. Camilla is wearing the big stuff right now, and will get even bigger stuff when Charles becomes King. Catherine wore more jewelry for her wedding (tiara and earrings) than HSH Princess Charlene did (no earrings and a jeweled ornament you could hardly see since it was on the back of her head and half buried in her hair).

I liked what Charlene wore better though!! :naughty: I loved that jeweled hairpiece.

I hope you feel better soon LadyMaria!!

ETA: I just want to reiterate that there's absolutely nothing wrong with Kate wearing simpler pieces and not "going for the gusto" when it comes to her jewelry wardrobe, I completely understand that, and it's part of her elegance. I just find it funny to be highlighting some of her pieces that are really mediocre in this thread. This thread was started, I had thought, to highlight the beauty and magnifence of royal jewels, not some pieces you can find on the Home Shopping Network. LOL!!

However, threads evolve and perhaps this one has gotten to that point since I think we've showcased just about every royal jewel that there is, so if Kate wears a plastic rubberband on her wrist, we'll show it off. :lol:

alexander1917

Shiny_Rock
prince.of.preslav|1310688711|2969232 said:
I found this photo quite by chance, while searching for something else. Is it really a second - all diamond - version of the Oriental Circlet, or something has happened to the photo - either photoshop or retouching?
qmorientalcirclet_diamonds.jpg

Bobby

wow, great. never seen this before!!!

Scotsgirl

Rough_Rock
Sorry everyone, I had been away and missed the last bit of page 317, and the enlargement of Kate's Bafta earrings. Now ,I totally defer to all you experts on here but could it be that those earrings are fake? Remember that Princess Diana enjoyed wearing fake jewellery. I was never sure whether it was because the fake stuff was more fashionable or just because Diana had a terrific sense of humour. Me, if I had the real thing, I would wear it because I would be thrilled to own it, and we know that Catherine has her beautiful wedding earrings. But, as someone who has had some contact with the aristocracy ,albeit as a worker, not an equal (!) I can truthfully say that lots of them don't feel the need to impress and just wear whatever takes their fancy. I am talking British aristocrats here. Maybe Kate is following that trend? Please feel free to shoot me down in flames, I won't take umbrage :))))

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Scotsgirl|1310821655|2970318 said:
Sorry everyone, I had been away and missed the last bit of page 317, and the enlargement of Kate's Bafta earrings. Now ,I totally defer to all you experts on here but could it be that those earrings are fake? Remember that Princess Diana enjoyed wearing fake jewellery. I was never sure whether it was because the fake stuff was more fashionable or just because Diana had a terrific sense of humour. Me, if I had the real thing, I would wear it because I would be thrilled to own it, and we know that Catherine has her beautiful wedding earrings. But, as someone who has had some contact with the aristocracy ,albeit as a worker, not an equal (!) I can truthfully say that lots of them don't feel the need to impress and just wear whatever takes their fancy. I am talking British aristocrats here. Maybe Kate is following that trend? Please feel free to shoot me down in flames, I won't take umbrage :))))

Hi, Scotsgirl-

I'm not about to "shoot you down" since I know no more than you! I did "hear" (more likely I read) somewhere that the Queen lent them to the Duchess, however. I would think we could check out that rumour first. I think the Queen has tons of jewelry and there is no reason she wouldn't lend them if she was lending other pieces like the maple leaf brooch for a state visit.

AGBF

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Apparently it was announced at the awards that the earrings that Catherine wore were lent to her by the Queen. I very much doubt that that was a joke! I, therefore, assume that they were real. Here is a description of them that I found on-line. I hope that it is helpful.

DIAMOND PENDANT EARRINGS

This is composed of a bezel-set diamond at the top supporting three flexible fringes. The fringes are made up of round and baguette diamonds. The central fringe ends with a pear-shaped diamond. The two outer fringes are anchored to a diamond crescent that surrounds the central fringe. The crescent has three dangles attached to it which consists of a baguette diamond ending with a bezel-set round diamond.

Deb/AGBF

Diamonds Are A Girl's Best Friend

jul9-11detail.jpg

jul9-11detail2.jpg

jul9-11detail3.jpg

EarringDetail4.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are there any photos of the Queen or past relatives wearing those same earrings? I also believe they are real, but I don't recall seeing them on HM.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL|1310845205|2970460 said:
Are there any photos of the Queen or past relatives wearing those same earrings? I also believe they are real, but I don't recall seeing them on HM.

It's a good point, Tourmaline Lover, and I just reread Bobby's posting and see he made it at the start. I should have read more carefully!!! He pointed out that on television it was announced that the earrings were on loan from the Queen, but said that he didn't believe it. He pointed out that the loan of the Maple Leaf brooch was treated differently. Like you, he also pointed out that these earrings had not been seen before.

At least no one here can recall seeing them before.

Deb/AGBF

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Scotsgirl, what you wrote makes sense. No flames here; in fact your insight is welcome. So are you, by the way! :wavey:

Can't find any photos of the Queen wearing those earrings -- they are very pretty & mysterious! Can't imagine owning them and NOT wearing them! But HM has so many choices, it must get boring...yawn. Combined round & baguettes are one of my favorite things -- my wedding ring has them alternating. If anyone can turn up a picture, it will be Bobby.

--- Laurie

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGBF|1310844962|2970457 said:
Apparently it was announced at the awards that the earrings that Catherine wore were lent to her by the Queen. I very much doubt that that was a joke! I, therefore, assume that they were real. Here is a description of them that I found on-line. I hope that it is helpful.

DIAMOND PENDANT EARRINGS

This is composed of a bezel-set diamond at the top supporting three flexible fringes. The fringes are made up of round and baguette diamonds. The central fringe ends with a pear-shaped diamond. The two outer fringes are anchored to a diamond crescent that surrounds the central fringe. The crescent has three dangles attached to it which consists of a baguette diamond ending with a bezel-set round diamond.

Deb/AGBF

Diamonds Are A Girl's Best Friend

She should use better earring backs to support those earrings so they don't droop! I use interchangeable plastic discs to support some of my larger post earrings - do you suppose the Queen would let me borrow those earrings for an evening or so if I send her a set? ;))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results