color
clarity

Royal Jewels

Ara Ann

Brilliant_Rock
LadyMaria|1307563941|2940939 said:
Ara Ann|1307545065|2940726 said:
LadyMaria|1307544734|2940723 said:
If all goes as planned, this time tomorrow I will be on a plane to Kansas City for the Diana Exhibit! I don't think I need to worry about an ice storm canceling my flight like what happened in February... I am really looking forward to just getting away by myself now that the school year is over.

Bobby- thanks for the better picture of Catherine's earrings. Maybe it was just the way the lighting was, but in the picture I posted it didn't look to me that there was a solid stone in the center. Your closeup was great!

Oh, I hope you get to see the exhibit!

My best friend and I had planned to see it while it was in our state, it moved from here this last Winter, but we had terrible snow storms over the both weekends we could both go...and it was just far enough to make it too dangerous to try to get there...we would have been stranded there for sure! SO disappointed we missed that exhibit...but hope you have a wonderful experience! :appl: I am sure it is amazing.

Ara Ann....are you in Michigan?!?!?

:wacko: Yep.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
HAVE A WONDERFUL TIME, MARIA!! Can't wait to hear all about it!!!! :appl: :appl:

--- Laurie

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
Ara Ann|1307569823|2941027 said:
If all goes as planned, this time tomorrow I will be on a plane to Kansas City for the Diana Exhibit! I don't think I need to worry about an ice storm canceling my flight like what happened in February... I am really looking forward to just getting away by myself now that the school year is over.

Bobby- thanks for the better picture of Catherine's earrings. Maybe it was just the way the lighting was, but in the picture I posted it didn't look to me that there was a solid stone in the center. Your closeup was great!

My best friend and I had planned to see it while it was in our state, it moved from here this last Winter, but we had terrible snow storms over the both weekends we could both go...and it was just far enough to make it too dangerous to try to get there...we would have been stranded there for sure! SO disappointed we missed that exhibit...but hope you have a wonderful experience! :appl: I am sure it is amazing.

Sweet! Where? I grew up in Michigan (Grand Rapids) and went to school in Ann Arbor, DH is from Monroe. Small world, eh?

Ara Ann

Brilliant_Rock
LadyMaria|1307589489|2941314 said:
Ara Ann|1307569823|2941027 said:

Sweet! Where? I grew up in Michigan (Grand Rapids) and went to school in Ann Arbor, DH is from Monroe. Small world, eh?

Well, I don't want to get too specific, but not too far from the general Ann Arbor area. =) Yes, small world.

Enjoy the exhibit, can't wait to hear all about it.

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Ara Ann|1307533168|2940608 said:
Oh, love that choker...any information about this piece?

The Duchess of Cornwall received a pink topaz and diamond brooch and pair of earrings as present from the Prince of Wales, her husband, who bought them at an auction. She then had the brooch made into the centerpiece of a 5 row pearl choker and has worn it on many occasion since then. The earrings, sadly, are worn more rarely. I believe HRH wore the choker for the first time at Peter & Autumn's wedding in May 2008, and later that same year (along with the earrings) at the concert and dinner in Bukingham Palace for Charles' 60th birthday.

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
JewelFreak|1307568932|2941018 said:
I don't remember if this was mentioned before, think not -- I read in Vanity Fair mag yesterday that the Queen gave Kate a choice among 3 tiaras for her wedding & Kate picked the scroll one because it was simplest & least flashy. I wish I knew what the other 2 were!

--- Laurie

I doubt this very, very much! No one marrying into the royal family has had the choice of which tiara (and other jewels) from the royal family's collection to wear. And I guess this also applies to other monarchies, perhaps with the exception of the Netherlands.

Bobby

DearBuddha

Brilliant_Rock
Kate's rings

rings.png

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
I made it to Kansas City with no problems last night! My cousin will be here in two hours to pick me up for the Diana Exhibit! When she picked me up at the airport last night, we drove right past the museum that is hosting it and it was awesome seeing the giant banners outside. More to come... :)

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
prince.of.preslav|1307643939|2941813 said:
I don't remember if this was mentioned before, think not -- I read in Vanity Fair mag yesterday that the Queen gave Kate a choice among 3 tiaras for her wedding & Kate picked the scroll one because it was simplest & least flashy. I wish I knew what the other 2 were!

--- Laurie

I doubt this very, very much! No one marrying into the royal family has had the choice of which tiara (and other jewels) from the royal family's collection to wear. And I guess this also applies to other monarchies, perhaps with the exception of the Netherlands.

Bobby

Maybe you're right, Bobby, you usually are, but how do we know? The process of a family member getting a piece of jewelry isn't usually reported -- we only hear that the Queen gave such-&-such to so-&-so, not how it was chosen. I rather doubt a m-i-l-to-be would arbitrarily pick something out without knowing what the bride would like. I imagine HM is delighted with Kate, who has behaved impeccably throughout their courtship -- I can see her saying something like, "I thought these tiaras would suit you well; which would you be happiest wearing?" She was marrying the heir -- perhaps w/lesser royals, such as Sophie Wessex, HM does the choosing. It's a small issue, but doesn't seem so unlikely to me -- they are family pieces like things that belong to any family, only more spectacular. We might compare it to a regular groom's mother offering the bride a choice of extra chairs or wine glasses. The jewels possibly seem about that normal to the RF, who have lived with them around forever.

--- Laurie

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
prince.of.preslav|1307643939|2941813 said:

--- Laurie

Bobby

Kate's simple taste has been apparent for the entire 8 years she dated William. I wouldn't be surprised if QEII picked the Scroll since it was the simplest and least flashy. The decision must have been made pretty early though, since the earrings were designed to match the Scroll tiara.

Ara Ann

Brilliant_Rock
LadyMaria|1307706950|2942426 said:
I made it to Kansas City with no problems last night! My cousin will be here in two hours to pick me up for the Diana Exhibit! When she picked me up at the airport last night, we drove right past the museum that is hosting it and it was awesome seeing the giant banners outside. More to come... :)

Can't wait to hear the details!!!! :appl:

QueenShelly

Shiny_Rock
Just a thought.
Could it be that the queen is seeing something in Katherine that reminds her of her younger years when she was learning also,. Simple over rules going over board with clothes and jewels. HM is beautiful with the most simple designs and colors she knows that if it's not broken don't fix it.
A lot of people think Katherine should change her hair clothes etc. Katherine is good enough for William then leave her alone. It worries me she needs to fill out some.

I read in a magazine that Katherine can't have children and Camilla has been telling her closest friends. How cruel and I still don't like Camilla, she needs to worry about her husband and leave the younger and better generation alone.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LadyMaria|1307706950|2942426 said:

Can you take pictures inside, and of the museum exterior with the banners? Would love to see them!! :appl:

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
QueenShelly|1307731077|2942709 said:
I read in a magazine that Katherine can't have children and Camilla has been telling her closest friends. How cruel and I still don't like Camilla, she needs to worry about her husband and leave the younger and better generation alone.

Oh, come on... The Duchess of Cornwall is not a devil. She's a mother herself, and has felt the joy of being a grandmother several times. HRH's made it clear that she's very happy for the young couple and the joy was visible on her face at the time of the wedding. Don't you ask yourself how that magazine has found this piece of Camilla-bashing information? I wonder how the magazine has not added that The Prince of Wales supports his wife in her happiness that Catherine can not have children...

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Today is a very special day for the British Royal Family as His Royal Highness The Duke of Edinburgh celebrates his 90th birthday!!!
HRH has always been a favourite of mine because of his hard work and dedication as consort to The Queen, but also because of his wit and humor. May there be many more birthdays and happy occasions in his life!
72553124.jpg
http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/72553124/Tim-Graham-Photo-Library
52286491.jpg
http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/52286491/Terry-ONeill
52118174.jpg
http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/52118174/Tim-Graham-Photo-Library
diamond.wedding.children.jpg

Many more photos of HRH can be seen here - http://www.gettyimages.com/Search/Search.aspx?EventId=115787746&EditorialProduct=Royalty
And a video for today - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgGqzSfrbrc&feature=channel_video_title
(HRH's patron of the Royal National Institute for Deaf People, this has a personal touch as Prince Philip's mother was deaf)
And the Prime Minister's tribute to The Duke - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6Ra6UMYGJo&feature=player_embedded
The Duke has been appointed Lord High Admiral today - http://www.royal.gov.uk/LatestNewsa...EdinburghappointedLordHighAdmiral10Jun11.aspx I guess this is The Queen's present to him.

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Last night TRH The Duke o& The Duchess of Cambridge attended a charity gala dinner for ARK's 10th anniversary.
This was William and Cathering's first official engament as a married couple. The Duchess looked dazzling in her glittering dress and earrings.
11189.jpg
And just when I thought that we're looing at some wedding presents, I found out that HRH's earrings are in fact a pair of fakes from Links - http://www.linksoflondon.com/online-shop/women/earrings/10822-effervescence-bubble-stiletto-earrings

More (large) photos from last night - http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/160...n-prince-william-ark-duchess-of-cambridge.htm
BTW, TRH The Crown Prince & Princess of Greece als attended.

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Today is also the ** birthday of HRH Princess Madeleine of Sweden. May there be many happy returns, Ma'am!!!
Madeleinenecklace2.jpg
oDU1ejO59bHl.jpg
w345.jpg

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
I recently came across this photo of the late Countess of Barcelona and wondered if anything is known about the turquoise jewels (necklace and earrings) she's wearing in this photo, and if there's any better photo of HRH (or somebody else) wearing them?
TurquoiseCssBarcelona2.jpg

Bobby

QueenShelly

Shiny_Rock
Bobby I understand what your saying.
I would rather listen to Fergie than Camilla. I think Charles would let her do anything, she seems to wear the pants. Charles had a beautiful wife and he got jelious. The marriage was not perfect but Camilla?
What do people see in her, I find the marriage between C&C and public appearances disturbing and insulting. I know it sounds mean and it's been done down through the ages but, but she is lacking.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
QueenShelly|1307755432|2942990 said:
Bobby I understand what your saying.
I would rather listen to Fergie than Camilla. I think Charles would let her do anything, she seems to wear the pants. Charles had a beautiful wife and he got jelious. The marriage was not perfect but Camilla?
What do people see in her, I find the marriage between C&C and public appearances disturbing and insulting. I know it sounds mean and it's been done down through the ages but, but she is lacking.

This ground has already been covered, QueenShelly. Every forum that discusses royalty has done the war of the princesses. Let's not redo it here, OK? Some of us prefer one and some prefer the other and some like both. Can we let it go?

Deb/AGBF
:read:

Diamonds Are A Girl's Best Friend

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JewelFreak|1307443940|2939687 said:
You know, Ara Ann, I'll bet the Queen will have a word with her about skirt length. Not to mention on breezy days! OK, back to jewelry!

She will have to be brought into line. Just as children have to grow up. How sad! She is lovely as she is. Like a little girl in a tutu!

Deb

(Edited to add photo that was under discussion.)

Attachments

• DuchessAtEpsomDerby.bmp
    598.2 KB · Views: 975

QueenShelly

Shiny_Rock
Fine by me.
Ask a question and zero.

Oh well, never mind talking is over AGBF

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
QueenShelly|1307761417|2943064 said:
Fine by me.
Ask a question and zero.

Oh well, never mind talking is over AGBF

I am sorry that you feel that the talking must be over, QueenShelly. I was not out to silence you, I assure you. I just do not have the heart for another fight about Diana and Camilla.

I am not sure what question you asked that you feel went unanswered. I saw that you made some comments earlier in the thread on the Queen, in her youth, bearing some resemblance to Catherine in some ways. I didn't see those as a direct question to anyone, however. Usually people just comment from time to time in this thread, not commenting on everything said by everyone. (It isn't a very "hot" thread.) Did I miss something? I, certainly, am not trying to slight you and I know that no one before me said a cross word to you!

Deb/AGBF

QueenShelly

Shiny_Rock
My question was as I stated before. What do people see in Camilla?
I find her lacking as I said.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
QueenShelly|1307765063|2943097 said:

QueenShelly,
I don't think people generally "see anything" in Camilla, and more people think William should succeed his father, and I believe much of that is based on the fact that he is with Camilla. However, this thread is about royal jewels, so we see her every once in a while here. I know that occasionally we discuss things in this thread outside of royal jewels, and I am certainly guilty of that too, but the real focus should remain on royal jewels. Maybe you want to open a thread about Camilla in hangout. Just a suggestion, and there are other places outside of PS that discuss the royal families of the world in a more open manner. ;))

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
prince.of.preslav|1307741807|2942855 said:
Today is also the ** birthday of HRH Princess Madeleine of Sweden. May there be many happy returns, Ma'am!!!

Bobby

Cool, did not know that Prince Phillip and Princess Madeline shared a birthday (many years apart however). Happy birthday to them both!!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
QueenShelly|1307765063|2943097 said:

OK. Thank you for pointing out what question to which you were referring. Your exact quotation was:

"Charles had a beautiful wife and he got jelious. The marriage was not perfect but Camilla?
What do people see in her, I find the marriage between C&C and public appearances disturbing and insulting. I know it sounds mean and it's been done down through the ages but, but she is lacking
."

I found the above to be a rhetorical statement, an expression of disdain, not a real question. I did not realize that you actually expected people to respond to it as if it were an interrogatory.

I happen to be someone who, although I do not know the "real" Camilla, see a lot of good in person I believe her to be. From what I have derived from watching the story unfold over the years, Prince Charles was in love with Camilla before he ever became engaged to Lady Diana. Diana's having found the bracelet that said "Fred" and "Gladys" on it on and the admission by Charles, prior to their marriage, that there would always have to be a place in his life for Camilla, would have put a savvier woman on notice.

I do not blame Lady Diana for being young and innocent. I believe she suffered greatly in a loveless marriage. But Camilla was already a factor before Lady Diana ever arrived on the scene. Prince Charles married Lady Diana out of duty, because he needed to have a wife and heirs, not for any other reason. He did not marry her for love and I doubt he ever much cared what she did. She was one of his duties, something that took up his time, like opening hospitals. When he had time to himself he engaged in organic gardening; studied architecture; went shooting with Camilla; and read books.

Deb/AGBF

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This famous photograph of Prince Charles and Camilla Shand was taken at a polo match in 1975. They dated seriously before he went to sea.

Deb/AGBF

Diamonds Are A Girl's Best Friend

1975CharlesAndCamilla.jpg

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
I'm exciting about Maria's visit to the Diana exhibit! I wonder if they let cameras in? I'm so jealous! I can't want to hear about it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results