Royal Jewels

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
Prince Friso: "Sorry dear, looking at your dress makes me feel dizzy."

Mabel: "Ha ha ha, you're so funny!"

mabelmaxima40-2.jpg

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
Prince Friso: "No, I'm serious. I'm not looking at you for the rest of the night."

Mabel: "WHAT??!?!?"

mabelmaxima40-3.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
LadyMaria|1306885066|2934860 said:
Mabel strikes again. This is at her sister-in-law Crown Princess Maxima's 40th birthday concert.

I think this dress looks terrible, which given Mabel's past, shouldn't surprise any of us (see pages 4, 187, and 207 of this thread). The top doesn't flatter her at all. It looks like beach cover-up meets whirlpool after a long day of drinking. And no decent jewels to attempt to redeem it.

I think there might be BOWS on her shoes...hard to tell...

I'm not a fashion expert, so I'll skip that part of the post, but Princess Mabel did wear some serious earrings - the same she usually wears at VIEvents and the same that Queen Juliana often wore. HRH also wore her diamond bracelet ;-) That's just enough, given the (in)formality of the event, if you ask me.

Here you can see Mabel van Orange-Nassau wearing the earrings at another event:
PPE10060543.jpg
http://www.ppe-agency.com/500px/Jun2010/PPE10060543.jpg

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
JewelFreak|1306851306|2934411 said:
prince.of.preslav|1306797407|2934022 said:
Maybe someone would like to discuss the royal jewels?
Bobby
I don't dare, Bobby! You know so much more than I'll ever manage! Do you know anything about the brooch at Maxima's waist? It is so pretty. I haven't found any info on it -- it doesn't look modern, so I'm wondering if it is part of the RF jewels.

--- Laurie

That's what I call discussing the jewels, Laurie - somebody asks and whoever knows something (or can speculate) answers!
The brooch does have a certain Victorian/antique look, but looking at this close-up, the execution, I'd say, shouts that it's a modern piece. Given that only Princess Maxima (rightfully HRH The Princess of Orange) has worn these jewels (ear pendants, brooch and bracelet), one can assume that they are part of her persoanl jewellery box. I also think that the orange stones are either topazes or citrines.

Close-up - cropped from a larger photo, posted by Tamara, RJWMB:
maxima_ob.jpg

Regards,
Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
prince.of.preslav|1306798700|2934037 said:
State Visit from Luxembour to Norway!
Tonight there was a State Banquet at the palace in Oslo at which The King & Queen, The Grand Duke & Duchess of Luxembourg, The Crown Prince & Princess, Princess Martha-Louise & Ari Behn and Princess Astrid were present.

Bobby

Update:
Here's Princess Astrid at the State Banquet wearing the Vasa tiara, a diamond flower brooch and a modern pearl and orage stone necklace:
1306786319000_luxembourgs010_3817018698x698r.jpg

Return event - The Grand Duchess wore Queen Astrid's emerald'n'diamond earrings and the emerald brooch (didn't she wear the same dress &jeweles at King Harald's 70th birthday?):
11052319noroylur-50a676ababcef08f9f3ed24c005ec545.jpg
http://www.tageblatt.lu/diashow/993/11052319noroylur-50a676ababcef08f9f3ed24c005ec545.jpg
Queen Sonja wore diamonnd necklace and pendant in addition to diamond earrings and bracelet:
11052319noroylur-fb3ff4c7214b567a7faaf2157243431a.jpg
http://www.tageblatt.lu/diashow/993/11052319noroylur-fb3ff4c7214b567a7faaf2157243431a.jpg
and http://www.tageblatt.lu/diashow/993/11052319noroylur-7bd11e87d767e1101f61294ea7caacac.jpg

BTW, I just realised that The King and the Grand Duke are first cousins once removed.

Bobby

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Queen Sonja looks lovely -- the diamonds at her neck are perfect w/that blouse.

I think you're right about P. Maxima's brooch, Bobby. Close up, its proportions look more modern. I really like it, stylish & graceful design. The fabric of her dress (as background) makes it hard to tell what the stone is, but I vote for Imperial Topaz. Looks closer to that than citrine; could be something else, like tourmaline but I kind of doubt it. Thanks for the pictures!

--- Laurie

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
Duchess of Cambridge at the horse race. The earrings look to be gold, and a similar design to her wedding earrings...tear drop shape with something dangling in the middle. It is also interesting to see that she wore her hair up!

duchesscamhrse1.jpg

duchesscamhrse2.jpg

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
It's also very nice to see that ring out & about again. Somehow cheering, as if Diana's around.

14428053591_t7tWk.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JewelFreak|1307228397|2937977 said:
It's also very nice to see that ring out & about again. Somehow cheering, as if Diana's around.

I think that's why William gave it to her, so that Diana's essence would follow them around everywhere, and people would be reminded of his mother.

Kate's earrings are reminiscent of the ones she wore on her wedding day. She appears to like that style.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Speaking of earrings, I just saw this pic of CP Mette Marit, and died over these earrings. Not sure if they're real or costume, but I love them.

Mette-Marit_0.jpg

jean95404

Rough_Rock
I actually feel kind of sorry for Catherine wearing that ring. Seriously. Personally I like the design and have one like it (though half the carat weight of Diana's ring). At the time William gave it to her, I thought it was lovely and appropriate for him to do so. But now it seems as if this ring has taken on a burden of legend. It is more often a referral point to a dead woman and not the symbol of promise, hope and joy for a newly married woman. Will it EVER become Catherine's? Or will it always be referred to as "continuing the essence of Diana"? Perhaps after awhile Catherine will, like Diana, not wear it everywhere.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
jean95404|1307245887|2938174 said:
I actually feel kind of sorry for Catherine wearing that ring. Seriously. Personally I like the design and have one like it (though half the carat weight of Diana's ring). At the time William gave it to her, I thought it was lovely and appropriate for him to do so. But now it seems as if this ring has taken on a burden of legend. It is more often a referral point to a dead woman and not the symbol of promise, hope and joy for a newly married woman. Will it EVER become Catherine's? Or will it always be referred to as "continuing the essence of Diana"? Perhaps after awhile Catherine will, like Diana, not wear it everywhere.

I agree, William should have bought Catherine her own ring, but I get the feeling he could care less about jewelry. This was probably "easiest" for him. I understand the sweet thought of wanting his mother to participate in the wedding, so why couldn't she have worn Diana's wedding earrings, or something like that instead? This ring overshadows them all, even the woman who is currently wearing it.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Seeing it again is new, therefore startling. Give it time. In a few years it will be Catherine's ring. Nobody will ever forget that it was Diana's but after a while of seeing it on Kate, it won't scream Diana, especially as she herself recedes more into the past. Royal jewelry always has been passed along, better than sitting in a vault. Kate will receive more rings; she may prefer another one eventually, as the QM did.

--- Laurie

jean95404

Rough_Rock
Wonderful wisdom Laurie. Thanks for posting. I guess my post was a little "trigger finger" and I appreciate your point of view and believe it to be accurate.

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
JewelFreak|1307228397|2937977 said:

Certainly the opposite here! I can only see a very beautiful and happy lady and there somewhere's a beautiful sappihre ring, which happens to have also been worn by her husband's mother. I don't see ghosts here and there.
For me this has been Catherine's ring ever since I first saw it on her on that November day (some 14 years after Diana, Princess of Wales last wore it).

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
LadyMaria|1307223859|2937897 said:
Duchess of Cambridge at the horse race. The earrings look to be gold, and a similar design to her wedding earrings...tear drop shape with something dangling in the middle. It is also interesting to see that she wore her hair up!

The Derby! What a pty that The Queen's horse didn't win, but then again it was very nice to hear that a 19 years old won :) Guess that you can't have it all...
Maria, The Duchess of Cambridge's earrings are quite different from the diamond ones she wore at her wedding. This pair has a bezel-set pear-shaped orange/light brown stone hanging from a simple gold loop. I think they're a fav of Catherine.
Here's aclose-up from another outing of the same earrings:
catherine_o_earrings.jpg

And here's the Daily Mail's article with many photos - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...kled-Princes-William-Harry-looked-dapper.html We can see that The Queen wore one of her firm favourite brooches at the event. I also think that the Countess of Wessox looked rather lovely. Seems that these earrings are becoming a favopurite of hers.
BTW, Princess Alexandra of Kent and Princess Haya (+husband) were also there. There are some very nice photos of Princess Haya, president of FEI, making a courtesy to Elizabeth II and then HM kissing her on the cheeks.

Bobby

Ara Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, I like her earrings! They almost look like a gold topaz or citrine...not quite pale enough for a peridot...but I love the style of them.

Did anyone else think her dress a bit on the short side?

And the Queen looks great in that raspberry color! She wears the bright colors very well.

Thank you for sharing that link, I enjoyed those pictures!

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
They look like topaz to me too, Ara Ann. Very pretty.

The Countess of Wessex did look great -- love her earrings & glad to see her wear them often. A pic of HM, with her fave brooch as Bobby mentioned -- she's looking so nice in all of her bright colors lately.

The last picture gave me a laugh; Ara Ann's question about Catherine's skirt makes it worth putting up here. (If I had legs like that, I'd show them off too! It is a bit on the skimpy side for Royals, though.) The man on the left is making sure he gets an eyeful, can't blame him! :razz:

--- Laurie

14427430456_gSNt3.jpg

2228.jpg

222222211.jpg

Ara Ann

Brilliant_Rock
JewelFreak|1307316982|2938589 said:
They look like topaz to me too, Ara Ann. Very pretty.

The Countess of Wessex did look great -- love her earrings & glad to see her wear them often. A pic of HM, with her fave brooch as Bobby mentioned -- she's looking so nice in all of her bright colors lately.

The last picture gave me a laugh; Ara Ann's question about Catherine's skirt makes it worth putting up here. (If I had legs like that, I'd show them off too! It is a bit on the skimpy side for Royals, though.) The man on the left is making sure he gets an eyeful, can't blame him! :razz:

--- Laurie

I bet her legs had several admirers that day! ;)) She does have beautiful legs, but could still be 'enjoyed' had the skirt even been a couple of inches longer, IMO. Hope it wasn't too breezy that day! :o

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
You know, Ara Ann, I'll bet the Queen will have a word with her about skirt length. Not to mention on breezy days! OK, back to jewelry!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
prince.of.preslav|1307310231|2938542 said:
For me this has been Catherine's ring ever since I first saw it on her on that November day (some 14 years after Diana, Princess of Wales last wore it).

Bobby

I believe Diana stopped wearing it right after her divorce was final, so it was at least 15 years ago. Well, it's nice to see the ring out in the open again, but I would have preferred it were part of a museum collection, like with her traveling wedding dress.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
i for one am glad to see that beautiful sapphire ring again on another beautiful woman!And as far as the skirt length topic goes...let her wear it a little short!Shes young and beautiful and that outfit is conservative enough.One day she will be older and want to wear her skirts a little longer.So for today let her show off those pretty darn impressive legs a little!

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
TL|1307478070|2940070 said:
I believe Diana stopped wearing it right after her divorce was final, so it was at least 15 years ago. Well, it's nice to see the ring out in the open again, but I would have preferred it were part of a museum collection, like with her traveling wedding dress.

Yes, The Prince & The Princess of Wales divorced 15 years ago, but Miss Middleston started wearing the ring last year - that makes it about 14 and 1/2 years after Diana last wore it.

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Yesterday The Queen, accompanied by The Duke of Edinburgh, The Prince & the Princess of Wales (or the Duchess of Cornwall, if you preffer), opened the new sesion of the Welsh Parliament. Her Mayesty wore the Cullinan V brooch:
x610_0.jpg
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0bnZgam9QMcyc/x610.jpg
Her daughter-in-law wore the pearl, diamond and pink topaz choker, pearl and diamond earrings and her small leek brooch. We can also see HRH's bracelet, watch and rings:
x610_1.jpg
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0brF00EgvR2zu/x610.jpg

Bobby

Ara Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, love that choker...any information about this piece?

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
If all goes as planned, this time tomorrow I will be on a plane to Kansas City for the Diana Exhibit! I don't think I need to worry about an ice storm canceling my flight like what happened in February... I am really looking forward to just getting away by myself now that the school year is over.

Bobby- thanks for the better picture of Catherine's earrings. Maybe it was just the way the lighting was, but in the picture I posted it didn't look to me that there was a solid stone in the center. Your closeup was great!

Ara Ann

Brilliant_Rock
LadyMaria|1307544734|2940723 said:
If all goes as planned, this time tomorrow I will be on a plane to Kansas City for the Diana Exhibit! I don't think I need to worry about an ice storm canceling my flight like what happened in February... I am really looking forward to just getting away by myself now that the school year is over.

Bobby- thanks for the better picture of Catherine's earrings. Maybe it was just the way the lighting was, but in the picture I posted it didn't look to me that there was a solid stone in the center. Your closeup was great!

Oh, I hope you get to see the exhibit!

My best friend and I had planned to see it while it was in our state, it moved from here this last Winter, but we had terrible snow storms over the both weekends we could both go...and it was just far enough to make it too dangerous to try to get there...we would have been stranded there for sure! SO disappointed we missed that exhibit...but hope you have a wonderful experience! :appl: I am sure it is amazing.

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
Ara Ann|1307545065|2940726 said:
LadyMaria|1307544734|2940723 said:

Oh, I hope you get to see the exhibit!

My best friend and I had planned to see it while it was in our state, it moved from here this last Winter, but we had terrible snow storms over the both weekends we could both go...and it was just far enough to make it too dangerous to try to get there...we would have been stranded there for sure! SO disappointed we missed that exhibit...but hope you have a wonderful experience! :appl: I am sure it is amazing.

Ara Ann....are you in Michigan?!?!?

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
I don't remember if this was mentioned before, think not -- I read in Vanity Fair mag yesterday that the Queen gave Kate a choice among 3 tiaras for her wedding & Kate picked the scroll one because it was simplest & least flashy. I wish I knew what the other 2 were!

--- Laurie

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results